1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Vic KYLIE MAYBURY: 6-year-old girl murdered in Melbourne - 1984 *ARREST**GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Australia: Cold Cases' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Jun 10, 2016.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Murder of Kylie Maybury

[​IMG]

Kylie Maria Antonia Maybury was a 6-year-old girl from Preston, a suburb of Melbourne, Australia.

She was kidnapped, raped, and murdered on November 6, 1984.

On the afternoon of November 6, 1984, Kylie had been sent to a convenience store to buy a bag of sugar. She was last seen going home, carrying a bag of sugar, and looking as if she were lost. Her body was found in the gutter of a nearby street at about 00:45 that night.

She had died of asphyxiation while being raped and had suffered severe internal injuries, including vaginal trauma. The autopsy found that Valium, a strong sedative, was in her body, suggesting that she had been drugged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kylie_Maybury

[​IMG]

MissyMoo, Lily, MULDER and 5 others like this.
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Kylie Maybury’s alleged killer caught after more than 30 years

SIX-YEAR-OLD Kylie Maybury rushed out the door and bounced down the street to get some sugar from a corner store in Preston, north of Melbourne’s CBD.

She was with her mother at the house of Lorna Simpson, a family friend, who needed Kylie to run the quick errand.

Money was placed in the palm of the small girl’s hand and “I love you” was written on her forearm.

As she walked out the door, never did her mother think it would be the last time she would see her alive. Kylie never came back home that Melbourne Cup day in 1984.

In 2014 police announced they would review the case again and last year made an appeal to the public for more information.

Finally, there has been a breakthrough in the case.

Gregory Keith Davies, 73, was arrested at the Waterford Park retirement village, in Knoxfield in Melbourne’s east, on Thursday and was later charged with the girl’s rape, false imprisonment and murder.

http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...s/news-story/ca29a40df3f2ad12942a6dfeda8cd3df

MissyMoo, Lily, MULDER and 4 others like this.
  3. spike

spike Bronze Member

So this scumbag got to live a full life.
    Hang him high.

MissyMoo, MULDER, Lily and 3 others like this.
  4. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Wow! I wonder why the case wasn't opened earlier? Still, I'm glad they think they've got the killer. I wonder what else he's been doing all these years?

5. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Silent tears as Kylie Maybury's mother faces man accused of daughter's murder

June 10, 2016

A 73-year-old man has faced court, charged with the 1984 Melbourne Cup Day abduction, rape and murder of six-year-old Kylie Maybury.

Gregory Keith Davies was arrested on Thursday morning at the home he shares with his 89-year-old wife in the small Victorian town of Waterford Park, just south of Broadford.

He faced the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday charged with the rape, murder and false imprisonment of the six-year-old who was allegedly snatched while she walked home from a corner shop in Preston.

His lawyer said his client needed to see a doctor to treat him for lower back pain from pre-existing back and rib injuries.

Mr Hardy further remanded Mr Davies to appear for a committal mention on September 29.

Police are still appealing for three witnesses to come forward

The first is a young Italian girl who approached Kylie's neighbour, Lorna Simpson, while she was searching for her on the corner of Gregory Grove and Plenty Road at the time she was taken.

The girl told Ms Simpson she saw a child fitting Kylie's description in a white station wagon.

A man was driving the car, which turned left onto Murray Road.

The girl then crossed Plenty Road and walked towards a pizza shop.

Detectives have never been able to locate that girl, whom Ms Simpson described as slim and "very attractive".

She would be in her late 40s or early 50s now.

The other two witnesses are anonymous callers who contacted police in 1984 and 1997.

The first called police on November 21, 1984, and told investigators a Holden Kingswood station wagon was involved.

The second caller phoned Crime Stoppers in May 1997 and gave the name of a potential suspect.

Those people are asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/silent-tears-as-kylie-mayburys-mother-faces-man-accused-of-daughters-murder-20160610-gpg3u1.html#ixzz4DRRhxS4P

6. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

The above report is from early June. Hopefully by now those three witnesses have contacted police.

7. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Media

10th June 2016

http://www.australianetworknews.com...rrested-how-keith-davies-fooled-a-small-town/
    Kylie Maybury Murder-Rape Suspect Arrested: How Keith Davies Fooled a Small Town

Davies appeared before Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday in a dark green T-shirt and flanked by two guards.
    He was placed in the glass dock of court one and spoke only to magistrate John Hardy, indicating that he could hear.
    Before the committal mention on September 29, Davies will undergo a DNA test.
    -----
    Julie Maybury, Kylie’s mother, drove from a rural location to see the alleged assaulter and murderer of her daughter for the first time.
    “I never gave up hope of justice for Kylie, but I still couldn’t believe it when the detectives initially told me they had arrested a man and later that he had been charged,” she said.
    “There has never been a day since 1984 that I haven’t thought about Kylie and looked for ways to get justice for what happened to her.”
    -----
    The murder allegedly took place on November 7, 1984. But the incidents that occurred the previous day entailed charges of rape and false imprisonment, the Herald Sun reported.
    -----
    Decades ago, Davies moved in with his brother Alf who lived in a caravan at the rear of a house right opposite Sunday’s Creek.
    Alf was doing handiwork for a widow who lived in the house and when Davies joined in, the brothers started painting the house together.
    Alf died of throat cancer and Davie continued to live at his place. After some time he and the widow got married, despite being 17 years younger than her.
    “She is completely devastated,” the WA Today quoted a family member as saying. “And she’s in two minds. She doesn’t want to believe it.”

MissyMoo, spike and Lily like this.
  8. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Incredible. I just burst into tears... having been away from the site for a time.. this is the first I've heard of this long overdue arrest.

I've been following this case for years and frankly despaired of there ever being justice for this little girl's horrendous murder, though after the past few years of cold arrest after arrest, I do have a LOT of faith in the Melbourne homicide squad, who are tireless in working through a huge backlog of unsolveds.

But to come back to this! OMG! There could be no better news.

Bless those hard working police. And omg, her poor family after all these decades.

MissyMoo, spike and MULDER like this.
  9. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

THE man accused of murdering Kylie Maybury lived just 500 metres from where her body was dumped.

The Herald Sun has discovered Mr Davies — who was known as Keith Davies — lived with his parents in Gordon Grove, Preston, for several years. His mother, now dead, was still living in the house at the time Kylie was murdered.

[​IMG]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...e/news-story/b22536f44862b31010312454a4cc9ba4

10. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

So true Lily - Amamzing job the Police have done.
    Your map above shows just how close he was to the grief he caused to Kylie, the Maybury's and the entire community.
    He was so close as to be able to probably know about what was happening with the enquiry during those 2 years
    he lived so close - terribly twisted!!!

I hope they find the witnesses they are looking for after such a long time.

11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Paedophile who murdered girl, 6, has boiling water poured over him in prison attack
    A KILLER who raped and murdered six-year-old Kylie Maybury in 1984 has had boiling water poured over his crotch in jail.

Gregory Keith Davies, 74, was attacked at Port Philip Prison in Australia in July and is now in “extreme discomfort” after his skin was burned.

He was due to be in court later this month for a plea hearing and to be sentenced for the sick murder.

However, his defence lawyers have argued for an extension because of the scale of his injuries.

Justice Lex Lasry said he couldn't refuse an adjournment, and Davies will now appear on November 27.

According to the Australian Associated Press agency, no charges will be brought against the prison attacker.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...vies-boiling-water-Australia-prison-Melbourne

12. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

That must have been painful. Oh well.

13. Paul BG

Paul BG New Member

I'm not usually vengeful but it's a shame he didn't die.

MissyMoo and spike like this.
  14. spike

spike Bronze Member

:good:....this may be better....

Jus' sayin'....

MissyMoo likes this.
  15. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Agree, even better if it had been acid.

Its called "just desserts" i was a teenager living in Melbourne and remember the day this happened.
    Ive never forgotten Kylie or her poor mum, just wrapt VICPOL never gave up.

spike likes this.
  16. Paul BG

Paul BG New Member

The Herald Sun's Keith Moor is looking at writing a book about Kylie once GKD is sentenced. Supported by Julie Maybury, he's also been trying to get production houses interested in doing a telemovie about Kylie and the search for justice.

17. Paul BG

Paul BG New Member

Julie Maybury has made an appearance on the Nine Network''s "A Current Affair". I'm a little surprised she'd go on a tabloid rag like ACA but they must have offered her a big fee.

18. Paul BG

Paul BG New Member

Seeing Julie Maybury talk on ACA about her descent into alcoholism after Kylie's murder... I wondered why she looked so weather-beaten even though she's only in her late fifties. Now i know that it was all the years of drinking that caused that appearance.

19. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

That and a broken heart probably :(

Kimster and spike like this.
  20. Paul BG

Paul BG New Member

I still wonder why Kylie never became a household name in Melbourne (compared to Karmein Chan, Sheree Beasley etc.) before GKD was arrested.

spike likes this.