1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

IN LANDON SKILES: Missing from Goshen, IN - 18 May 2018 - Age 16 *Found Safe*

Discussion in 'Located/Resolved' started by Sunburst, May 26, 2018.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

[​IMG]

http://www.goshennews.com/news/loca...cle_31479641-3633-59f5-be38-36a48d2a44d0.html

Missing teenager

Name: Landon Skiles
    Description: White male, 5'4", 120 pounds,
    brown hair, green eyes

Last seen: Wearing a red Coca-Cola T-shirt, blue jeans and boots. Was driving a gray Toyota Tundra with the license plate number as TK695NLD. (BBM) Indiana license plate.

Investigators want anyone with information or ideas on where to find Skiles to come forward and help,

https://crimewatchers.net/forum/ind...-missing-since-may-18-2018.3590/#comment-3678

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2018
    Uno2Much, Paradise, Akoya and 2 others like this.
  2. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Goshen is a fairly small town, with a Mennonite-affiliated college and a thriving small business downtown area. Elkhart, LaGrange, Whitley, Noble, and Dekalb counties have Amish and Mennonite populations, as well as non-Amish. There are RV factories, and lots of farmland for dairy, corn, wheat, and soybeans.

"Tips can be provided either online or by phone, but preferably by phone through the main dispatch line, ......That line at 574-533-4151 is staffed at all times, and tips can be passed to patrol officers or detectives. " from the Goshen News link posted above.

The news story does not mention where he attends school. I am wondering if he is in Rumspringa, when dressing English and driving a vehicle is tolerated, although not exactly approved of by Amish parents. The nearest large cities would be South Bend or Fort Wayne.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Was he upset about anything, I wonder?

4. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

That's what I was wondering also. Maybe the first breakup with a "puppy-love" GF? The article also doesn't mention if he had a cell phone or not. That plus the work boots (factory worker and Amish leave school after the eighth grade and go to work) has me wondering about Rumspringa. The Elkhart County police are the investigators, not Goshen PD. Admittedly, it is a small force and maybe they don't have the resources to investigate MPs.

Prayers for Landon. I hope he is found.

I had family members that lived in Goshen for nearly all their lives and we visited frequently as children. I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Uno2Much, Kimster, Akoya and 2 others like this.
  5. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

Is he Amish or Mennonite?

If he is and on Rumspringa, not being very experienced with driving, opens the possibility of a wreck.

spike, Uno2Much, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  6. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

7. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

I wonder if he had a suitcase & how much money he may have. Why Atlanta? Is there something in the city that draws him there or is ATL only the destination of the flight? Where is he headed? His dad said they had driven thru ATL once.

Could the CocaCola tshirt mean something special? He was wearing it when last seen. There is a pic of him with it on. Perhaps that coincidence & this sounds silly, but I would like to see surveillance videos at The World of Coke.

And what is his experience with air travel? Did he just want to make a trip? ATL Hartsfield-Jackson is probably bigger than his hometown.

spike, Uno2Much, kdg411 and 2 others like this.
  8. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

"Landon's truck" could mean he owned the vehicle or simply that is what he was driving. So maybe it was his dad's. So maybe they aren't Amish. What age does Rumspringa begin? At 16, he would be just beginning, right? Or is that actually too young? I don't know much about this. Maybe he is Mennonites. Maybe he is Methodist.

Now that they know he went to Atlanta, his father will probably go there & we will see more information.

It's late, I am tired & rambling.

Be safe Landon. Call home.

spike, Uno2Much, Sunburst and 2 others like this.
  9. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

At last this is looking like voluntary missing. He's still very young to be in his own, but had the wherewithal to get himself a flight.

Call home, dude. It's the least you can do.

spike, Uno2Much, Sunburst and 3 others like this.
  10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Rumspringa is a very good possibility.

spike, noZme, Kimster and 1 other person like this.
  11. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

I hope this isn't a case of him being lured.

spike, Uno2Much, noZme and 4 others like this.
  12. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Rumspringa begins anywhere from age 14-16. For Mennonites, it begins at 16, usually on the 16th birthday or the day after. Mennonites are allowed to own/drive vehicles, Rumspringa or not.

I wonder if a close friend of his had recently moved to the Atlanta area from Indiana and he wanted to go visit the friend.
    From Atlanta, he could have gone anywhere, as it is a major hub for different airlines.
    There is also Pinecraft, Fl. Pinecraft has a large Amish/Mennonite population. Many Midwetern Anabaptists travel to Pinecraft to spend part of the winter and/or a vacation spot in spring/summer. Pinecraft is part of Sarasota.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Paradise, Akoya, spike and 2 others like this.
  13. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

We have a Mennonite community in our area and I've never heard of rumspringa being part of the Mennonite religion? Interesting.

Paradise, Akoya, spike and 2 others like this.
  14. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Paradise, Akoya, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  15. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

The article says Landon is from New Paris, IN. As of the 2010 census, New Paris has just under 1,500 residents. Wonder if Landon was a baseball fan and wanted to see his favorite team play some home games?

Paradise, spike and kdg411 like this.
  16. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

I hope it's something that simple. But why not say where he was going & why not get a buddy or his dad to share expenses?

I am very curious when the Delta ticket was purchased.

17. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Paradise, Akoya, Kimster and 4 others like this.
  18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I think rumspringa is most commonly connected to the Amish group, but Mennonite adolescents can also take part. The Amish and Mennonites are usually very connected. The Mennonites are not as strict as the Amish and many times the Mennonites help the Amish with tasks they are normally unable to do. For example, Mennonites can do things like drive black automobiles and they can transport the Amish who are not permitted to drive. Mennonites often have electricity from the grid. Mennonite clothing is not required to be as conservative. I have spent time in Elkhart. There are both Amish and Mennonites in the community.

Uno2Much, Sunburst and Paradise like this.
  19. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

A branch of my "tree" were part of the first AnaBaptist/Amish community who settled in the Northkill area near Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. They were from Switzerland. Amish rules are not written. They are traditional and passed by oral delivery. There is often variation in the different sects.

Uno2Much, Sunburst and Paradise like this.
  20. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

Has it been said that he IS Amish or Mennonite? Just curious. I have family that live in the middle of an Amish community, but none are actually Amish.