1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

TX LORI KENNEDY RUFF or BECKY TURNER JANE DOE: Found in Longview, TX *Kimberly McLean*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

It was a lot of research into an area where we both had suspicions. Joe used DNA in the end to confirm her identity after biological family members were identified. Joe got the DNA directly from them. They had Lori Ruff's DNA.

MULDER, GarAndMo49, Paradise and 4 others like this.
  2. DNASleuth

DNASleuth Member

Thank you. So DNA was not used to lead you to her?

MULDER, Advocate and DaisyChains like this.
  3. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

She said DNA was used. Not sure if you caught her reply correctly? not being snarky, just passing the info in case you misread it. :)

ETA: did you mean to ask if the initial grab was from research and not DNA or a lead? sorry just figuring out what everyone is saying b/c I'm OCD and have to understand. lol

4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

DNA was obtained by Joe Velling after we felt we had identified Lori Ruff and members of her biological family. Read the emails several posts back. One of the emails discusses getting DNA from a family member and the other email discusses sending the DNA for a lab match. DNA was obtained to verify her identity. There were many things that were learned through the research, indicating who Lori Ruff was. DNA was a confirmation.

5. DNASleuth

DNASleuth Member

I was asking if the DNA was what led them to her. I know it was used for confirmation.

MULDER, Advocate and DaisyChains like this.
  6. midgemontana

midgemontana New Member

Thank you for your work on this case.

MULDER, GarAndMo49, Paradise and 3 others like this.
  7. DNASleuth

DNASleuth Member

I have read all of the messages. I was asking for clarity regarding what role DNA played in the identification because Derek Abbott of Taman Shud fame had leaked earlier that using DNA genealogy sites is how she was identified. That appears to have been inaccurate. Thank you for your explanation.

8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

It's OK. A lot of research was done the old fashioned way. We both happened to have similar suspicions. It reached a point where we were very sure we knew who she was and who her family members are. At this point, Joe Velling went to the family members and obtained DNA to confirm the family relationships we had found.

9. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

did the woman who matched Lori run away from a very dangerous family/group or something? Your concern for her daughters safety/wellbeing worries me that Lori may have had people that wished not only her harm, but anyone related to her. if you can't say that's fine. no reason to go into specifics. I've just always wondered what or who she was running from.

MULDER, GarAndMo49, noZme and 3 others like this.
  10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I don't know anything about Lori Ruff's DNA from genealogy sites. Joe Velling was a Special Agent in Charge of Social Security investigations in Seattle and the Northwest. This was initially a criminal investigation because it involved identity theft and fraud with a social security number. I don't think Joe was using DNA testing from geneology sites. I think he was probably using government labs.

11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

DaisyChains, I'm sorry, but I can't answer your questions. Maybe at some point I will be able to. I have concerns for Lori's daughter. Blake needs to be the one who controls information.

MULDER, GarAndMo49, Paradise and 2 others like this.
  12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

roselvr - I am very aware of statements being made at Websleuths about me and my posts here at Crimewatchers. You absolutely amaze me.

MULDER, GarAndMo49, Paradise and 2 others like this.
  13. awillis0513

awillis0513 New Member

Hello,

So, true crime writer James Renner has asserted that this is a case connected to Pennsylvania.

Do you know how he could have received information?

14. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

James Renner will need to answer that question.

MULDER, Paradise and noZme like this.
  15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

I want an explanation from Michael Nance for this accusation.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    MULDER and Paradise like this.
  16. awillis0513

awillis0513 New Member

Could this be referring to another investigator who was handling administrative things after Joe retired?

17. awillis0513

awillis0513 New Member

Perhaps we should blur Joes contact info.

MULDER, Advocate, Paradise and 2 others like this.
  18. midgemontana

midgemontana New Member

Well, chances are good that he's not reading here. So your best bet might be to contact him directly and see where he got this information. If this is a wrapped up case, maybe you're not being briefed on everything related to it after a year?
    I wonder who confirmed to them that an ID has been made?

19. Advocate

Advocate Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Please don't call me sweat pea. There is no date on the emails. Doing the DNA thru UNT takes 6 months because the SSA won't pay for it.
    I'm not convinced you're the one who found the ID.

You don't know anything about a boyfriend? Read my posts before yesterday -
    Someone went to WS May 2015 saying he used to date her before the name change. He had contacted agent Velling to give him photos, the name she used. From there Velling had to find relatives to test. The timing is right for the DNA to have come back. My partner speaks to Joe too.

MULDER, Winterlong, MoonPie66 and 2 others like this.
  20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I was asked why I came forward and became the subject of attacks.

I came forward because Advocate posted information that Michael Nance from NAMUS was very clearly stating that the investigator with Lori Ruff was giving information to a reporter from the Seattle Times. This is a public forum with many readers. Joe Velling was the Agent in Charge, so that leaves me, and I have had no contact with the Seattle Times or any other newspaper.

Eventually, all of the information in this case may possibly be released to the public. I have no way of knowing if that will happen. At a later date, it will be almost impossible for me to establish that I had no newspaper or media contacts. In the future, it will be almost impossible for me to establish that I didn’t violate confidentiality or release sensitive information. This is why I came forward. It has been necessary for me to respond to the statements from Michael Nance and make certain that my name is clear.

I have no intention of releasing information about Lori Ruff or anyone connected to her tragic story. I don’t really care if other posters believe that I worked on this case. Feel free to follow roselvr and a few others who claim to know Lori’s identity and are taking great delight in attacking me on another website. Obviously, they don’t know Lori’s identity, but I don’t care. I only want the world to know that I didn’t speak to a reporter at the Seattle Times. I didn’t violate a confidentiality or release sensitive information.

Tammy, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.