1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

TX LORI KENNEDY RUFF or BECKY TURNER JANE DOE: Found in Longview, TX *Kimberly McLean*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

Why would anybody be expected to give their identifying info on a public forum? It's a world full of stalkers and creeps out there and you never know whose looking at that info. You will either have to take the person's word that they are who they say they are or practice the art of roll n scroll and move along.

Tammy, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 3 others like this.
  2. ItsMegan

ItsMegan Member

Don't you think her info would be released at some point if she really is the person who helped solve the case? Lol...

MULDER, Advocate, Paradise and 3 others like this.
  3. seventytwo

seventytwo Member

When you do an AMA on Reddit, you are required to provide some kind of identifying information - not necessarily personal. It helps lend validity to what you say. If you can't prove yourself, you can't do the AMA. I think everyone is simply looking for some kind of identifying information, but nothing necessarily personal.

MULDER, catch22, Advocate and 4 others like this.
  4. Thing1

Thing1 Member

Does this forum verify insiders? I would think the person who solved this case would surely be able to verify themselves to the moderators, to clear the air.

MULDER, Advocate, Paradise and 4 others like this.
  5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?threads/rules-guidelines.8/

13.Personal Information:

Please do not post your personal information (name, phone number, etc.) on our site. CrimeWatchers.net does not have access to your personal information. If you choose to give another member access to your email, Facebook or other personal information, please know it’s pretty simple to figure out who you are offline. If you choose to give out your personal information, you do so at your own risk. CrimeWatchers.net cannot protect you.

TOS and Rules & Guidelines extend to your private conversations (messages) to or from other members. If you are harassed or receive messages soliciting or advertising, please forward the message to staff for review.

Tammy, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 2 others like this.
  6. seventytwo

seventytwo Member

There are plenty of ways to give some kind of vague identifying information that doesn't involve giving out anything personal. No one is interested in stalking you. Everyone just wants to determine that you have credibility.

Advocate, Paradise, MoonPie66 and 4 others like this.
  7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Since I am making no statements , I really don't need to be concerned with validity.

Tammy, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 3 others like this.
  8. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Hi again!

It's great to see so many new faces!

Please discuss the case and not each other. If you're here to insist that our members identify themselves, that's not going to happen.

Because Ayoka is not verified as an insider in this case, please refrain from any more discussion about what she knows and doesn't know. If that changes, we'll make an announcement.

I'm not able to stick around, so I'm going to trust you guys to let the issue go for now.

Thanks so much!

:grouphug:

Tammy, MULDER, DaisyChains and 6 others like this.
  9. seventytwo

seventytwo Member

I don't blame you for not wanting any personal information released.

I was just going by what you were saying earlier about your motivations for posting here. You were saying that you wanted to basically be cleared of having released any information pertinent to the case. You wanted to show that you weren't the leak. I was just saying that that was a weird motivation since nothing here identifies you in order to CLEAR you of that. That's all.

But you actually have given lots of interesting information that has given armchair detectives a bit to go on, so that's been fun.

Advocate, Paradise, sceawian and 2 others like this.
  10. Kimster

In opposite corners of the country, two families were on flip sides of the same tragic mystery. One, in Texas, had lost a wife to suicide in 2010, then learned that she was not who she claimed. So who was she? All their digging turned up nothing.

The other, in Pennsylvania, had lost a family member, too, back in 1986. The young woman had fled abruptly, leaving no clue. Where was she? They spent 30 years hoping she was alive and safe.

Earlier this year, a former Social Security Administration (SSA) investigator, Joe Velling, became convinced the dead woman, known as Lori Ruff, and the Pennsylvania woman were one and the same.

It had been a long road to get to this point. The SSA investigates identity theft, and Lori clearly had stolen someone else’s identity — that of a 2-year-old girl from Pierce County who had died in a fire decades earlier. An aide to a Texas congressman had asked Velling to look into the case, after being contacted by the Ruff family.

There was no indication she adopted the new identity for financial gain. So why did she do it? Velling used every tool he had, but turned up nothing. This was highly unusual.

[​IMG]
    Joe Velling, a former Social Security Administration investigator, became convinced the dead woman known as Lori Ruff and a Pennsylvania woman were one and the same. When he showed pictures of Ruff to a family member in Pennsylvania, his suspicion was confirmed. (Ellen M. Banner / The Seattle Times, 2013)
    With the support of the Ruff family, Velling turned to a reporter he knew at The Seattle Times in 2013, hoping that crowdsourcing would provide an answer. Surely somebody would recognize her from years ago. The story, which ran on the front page and later in publications all around the world, captured the online imagination.

For three years, a large cadre of dogged online sleuths has been trying to solve the mystery.

Late last year, one of them called Velling with a theory: Lori Ruff came from a family back East, she said. The Cassidys. Based on the evidence she provided, Velling believed she was right. Earlier this year, he took a plane to Philadelphia to knock on the door of one member of the Cassidy family. He had no idea what he was walking into. He didn’t even know the missing woman’s name.

The Ruffs had provided him some photos, and he began laying them out on the table.

“My God,” the family member said, “that’s Kimberly!”

Kimberly McLean, who left home at 18 and never came back.

More at link --------------> http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...rplexing-mystery-of-identity-thief-lori-ruff/

Tammy, MULDER, DaisyChains and 11 others like this.
  11. Kimster

We're going to unlock the thread again, but it will close right back up if people continue to discuss each other and not the case. Doing so is a violation of the rules & the off topic posts will be removed from view.

:thankyou:

Please enjoy the discussion by posting the interesting avenues of this case!

Tammy, MULDER, DaisyChains and 6 others like this.
  12. sceawian

sceawian Member

It's great that Lori's (Kimberly's!) family finally have closure. I know her mother must be devastated, but I'm glad her daughter will now have a relationship with the other side of her family

Tammy, MULDER, Sunburst and 8 others like this.
  13. Kimster

I always get a tear in my eye when these older cases are solved. So many people trying to send her home - and now we know what happened. I'm glad they've shared a lot of information about this case.

:grouphug:

:bye:

Tammy, MULDER, DaisyChains and 10 others like this.
  14. Thing1

Thing1 Member

So relieved to learn nothing sinister or abusive happened to her and that she just couldn't adjust to the changes in her life. I feel terrible that she felt she needed to go to such extremes to start over. But I am really happy that Kimberley's family and the ruffs have been in contact and it seems her daughter is in no danger at all.

Rest in piece Kimberly.

Tammy, MULDER, MoonPie66 and 3 others like this.
  15. Thing1

Thing1 Member

Seattle times updated their timeline. The case was solved this year, not 2015. Velling was not working for social security when he went to Philly. It was after his retirement - this year, 2016.

MULDER, MoonPie66, TripleA and 3 others like this.
  16. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

Quote from article:
    "Late last year, one of them called Velling with a theory: Lori Ruff came from a family back East, she said. The Cassidys. Based on the evidence she provided, Velling believed she was right. Earlier this year, he took a plane to Philadelphia to knock on the door of one member of the Cassidy family. He had no idea what he was walking into. He didn’t even know the missing woman’s name."

Last year was 2015. It was confirmed this year.

Tammy, MULDER, DaisyChains and 5 others like this.
  17. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Thank you @Kimster. As a bit of an outsider/newbie on this case, I find some of the personal attacks really unsettling. I am thankful to anyone taking the time and effort to bring closure to a grieving family.

Tammy, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 7 others like this.
  18. Thing1

Thing1 Member

That's what I said and I am aware of what year it is. It was confirmed this year. He flew to philly this year. DNA was confirmed this year. See the timeline on the link. http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...and-took-her-secret-to-the-grave-who-was-she/

MoonPie66, TripleA and Advocate like this.
  19. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

I'm not seeing where anybody is saying it was confirmed in 2015. Akoya was only mentioning that a match was made in 2015 which the article confirms.

Tammy, GarAndMo49, TripleA and 2 others like this.
  20. Thing1

Thing1 Member

A previous poster claimed this was solved last year before velling retired. Which is not true. The post may have been deleted now that the factual article has been published.

MoonPie66, Advocate and sceawian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.