1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

TX LORI KENNEDY RUFF or BECKY TURNER JANE DOE: Found in Longview, TX *Kimberly McLean*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sceawian

sceawian Member

What do you think about the ST article, Akoya?

MoonPie66, ItsMegan, Thing1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sugarbritches

Sugarbritches New Member

Haven't heard from her since, have we?

3. Advocate

Advocate Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

I'm so happy my friend Colleen Fitzpatrick approached Velling. I'm surprised she had the time to help but am thankful she did. Prayers going up to Kimberly's family and loved ones. So thankful her daughter will now know who her mother was. I hope Lori/ Kim can rest in peace now.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Tammy, MULDER, Sunburst and 7 others like this.
  4. sceawian

sceawian Member

Colleen sounds like a fantastic lady!

MULDER, MoonPie66, Winterlong and 3 others like this.
  5. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Since y'all won't stop, I am now done with this thread. Good luck to all.

Tammy, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 6 others like this.
  6. Thing1

Thing1 Member

Yes she does! Advocate please let her know how grateful we are that she took the time to help solve this case. A little girl will know who her mother is, and a family has closure of where their missing loved one disappeared off to 30 years ago.

7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I didn't speak to anyone at the Seattle Times, I didn't breach any confidentiality, and I didn't release any sensitive information.

MULDER, wonderwombat, Scorpio and 2 others like this.
  8. sceawian

sceawian Member

I never meant to imply that you did. I just wondered if you had read it and if you had any thoughts on it?

Advocate and Thing1 like this.
  9. Thing1

Thing1 Member

it doesn't seem like their was a crazy amount of sensitive info though. The ruff family brought kimberlys daughter around the McLean family. So I guess there was no need to protect the daughter in such a way that was previously stated. Because I am sure the ruffs would not let their granddaughter be surrounded by unsavory people, especially if it meant she could be at risk for harm.

MULDER, MoonPie66, ItsMegan and 2 others like this.
  10. Thing1

Thing1 Member

The Seattle times reported confirmed that Colleen Fitzpatrick is who called in the McLean/Cassidy lead to velling.

ETA - not saying this to try to uncover a fellow members identity because the member clearly is not the same as Colleen.

MoonPie66 and Advocate like this.
  11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I am not Colleen Fitzpatrick. I did work with Joe Velling. I did not speak to the Seattle Times reporter. The article covered one aspect of Lori Ruff's life. I remain concerned for her daughter.

Tammy, Scorpio and noZme like this.
  12. ItsMegan

ItsMegan Member

You also said something about being worried for her daughter... the brother in law seemed very happy that the daughter will get to know that side of the family.

MoonPie66, Thing1 and Advocate like this.
  13. Advocate

I know you're not Colleen. Read the article. There is no reason for concern for her daughter. Her family is normal. Lori stole the identity because she couldn't adjust after her parents divorced. I guess the divorce from Blake threw her over the edge. I hope she's able to rest in peace now.

She hasn't posted about it yet on her blog

link in bold

14. Thing1

Thing1 Member

BBM. Obviously

MoonPie66, Winterlong and Advocate like this.
  15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I'm so glad it's that simplistic.

16. Thing1

Thing1 Member

Also, considering velling didn't go to Philly to confirm until this year, there's no way you could have solved this a year ago. The poor daughter is going to see enough about her mom on the internet, there is NO reason to try to embellish the story for personal gain at the expense of her daughter. There is absolutely nothing to prove you are a verified insider (the mod flat out said you're not) nor that Kimberlys daughter should be protected from anyone in Kimberlys early life. Move on dot com

Advocate, MoonPie66 and ItsMegan like this.
  17. Advocate

Some may know Colleen from Benjaman Kyle's case.

Colleen.jpg

MoonPie66, ItsMegan and Thing1 like this.
  18. Thing1

Thing1 Member

Thanks. So LEK wasn't even identified as a member of the Cassidy McLean family until last December. Not even a year ago. Velling was already retired at this point, contrary to the previous post saying this was solved while velling was still working for SSA. I rest my case.

MoonPie66 and Advocate like this.
  19. ItsMegan

ItsMegan Member

"When Fitzpatrick read the story about Lori, she immediately thought about DNA. Lori and her husband, Blake Ruff, had a daughter in 2008 and that daughter shared Lori’s DNA. If the daughter provided a DNA sample, there was a way to subtract Blake’s DNA profile from the daughter’s, leaving what is essentially Lori’s.

The Ruff family sent a saliva sample to23andMe and Ancestry.com, companies that analyze DNA and provide tools to help people trace their family histories online. The family figured that the girl would one day want to know about her mother.

“We were just wanting to at least have the ability to give her the answers,” said Miles Darby, Blake’s brother-in-law.

Fitzpatrick found a number of people whose DNA matched up with Lori’s, but most of them were distant cousins. They wouldn’t be any help in identifying Lori."

20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I have never claimed to be an insider. I have refused to make statements. I have never said or implied that Kimberly's daughter should be protected from anyone in Kimberly's early life. You are fabricating all of this information. How dare you accuse me of trying to embellish a story for personal gain. Obviously you do not comprehended that I have refused to comment on any details surrounding the story.

Tammy, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.