1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Vanessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Vanessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

TX LORI KENNEDY RUFF or BECKY TURNER JANE DOE: Found in Longview, TX *Kimberly McLean*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

The article does not say that they didn't ALSO take it from Kimberly, does it? Most places I know of that do mitochondrial dna ALSO want the mother's DNA for verification and validation. We simply do not know if they did or didn't.

Tammy, Advocate and spike like this.
  2. ikura561

ikura561 New Member

You would think it would be mentioned that they directly confirmed Kimberly's DNA through her own sample and not just her daughter but it could be oversight from the reporter. I think it would be bigger news though.

Advocate likes this.
  3. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

It seems obvious to me that the reporter doesn't know about verification or didn't care.

spike and Advocate like this.
  4. Advocate

Advocate Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

The raw data from UNT/NamUs. I assumed that's what Velling did because he said he had DNA in one of the genealogy sites; I'd have to look for our email tomorrow but it was probably her daughters

5. Advocate

The raw data from UNT/NamUs. I assumed that's what Velling did because he said he had DNA in one of the genealogy sites; I'd have to look for our email tomorrow but it was probably her daughters

MoonPie66 likes this.
  6. ikura561

ikura561 New Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say they didn't care. It would make no sense for them to omit the HUGE news that DNA was confirmed directly through Kimberly. Also I was of the impression that Ancestry and 23andme only accept saliva samples so if only hair and tissue was taken from Kimberly as someone mentioned then it would be impossible for a direct match to occur through those companies. I might be confusing things though who knows

7. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

Then I guess we are at the point that they didn't know about verification then.

Advocate likes this.
  8. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

It is not as easy as ONLY subtracting the father's DNA. There needs to be a way of verifying the result.

Advocate likes this.
  9. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Reposting this warning from earlier today.

There is much more information to share than who knew what & when. Gee Whiz! The person who knew why the Namus page was removed should not be a target.
    Until today, we have been here a year & a half with nobody even on time out or a thread closed.

10. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

We are at the mercy in getting stories by what the reporter deems important that fits in the space allowed for their article. Many things get cut out of an original story in the name of space or time.

Tammy and Advocate like this.
  11. ikura561

ikura561 New Member

The article said they verified it through Deanne though?

Advocate likes this.
  12. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

That's ow they verified the relationship. I'm talking verifying the daughters DNA.

Advocate likes this.
  13. ikura561

ikura561 New Member

Oh, I was under the impression that IS what they used to verify. I must have misread

Advocate likes this.
  14. DNASleuth

DNASleuth Member

This is not the same type of data. UNT/Namus uses CODIS type testing of only a handful of markers. The genealogy DNA sites use genotyping of 600,000+ SNPs. That is why it can confidently predict more distant relationships when CODIS cannot. He was undoubtedly referring to her mtDNA which would not be able to identify her family just from a random database of testers. You need autosomal DNA for that. Ancestry used to have an online mtDNA database but they removed it. As I said, it is not helpful in tracing unknown parentage.

DaisyChains, MoonPie66, Lily and 2 others like this.
  15. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

IAM SO HAPPY SHE HAS HER NAME BACK!!!!!!! :D

Tammy, MoonPie66, Sunburst and 4 others like this.
  16. Advocate

So then its possible UNT had DNA to test from her mother straight to Lori's NamUs profile

MoonPie66 likes this.
  17. DaisyChains

i just have to say that this Colleen Fitzpatrick is onto something with her forensic geneology method.

It's encouraging to see just how many helpers came out with a sincere passion to solve this case. It has finally paid off!!

MoonPie66, Advocate, catch22 and 3 others like this.
  18. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

It's great to see this mystery cleared up at last.

Shame about the bickering (in yet another thread). :(

19. DaisyChains

one last thing... i seriously want to cry now that we know her family didn't throw her out. She ran away and they couldn't find her. They figured she might be OK and just wanted zero contact... but now they know that she is no longer here on earth. As glad as I am she is identified - the angst and sadness for her daughter and family are very real.

Tammy, MULDER, MoonPie66 and 4 others like this.
  20. DNASleuth

DNASleuth Member

Yes, it is likely they used this for final confirmation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.