1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

FL MARJORIE "CHRISTY" LUNA: Missing from Greenacres, FL - 27 May 1984 - Age 8

Discussion in 'Missing 1980 to 1989' started by noZme, May 30, 2017.

1. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

(Perhaps this should eventually be in the Missing 1980-1999, but for right now, it is a new story & I thought it would catch more interest here. Social media has been a wonderful tool investigating cases, old & new.)

The Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office used its social media platform on Twitter to allow Marjorie Christina Luna, who disappeared when she was 8-years-old while on her way to the store, never to be seen again, to tell her story using "her own words."

The Twitter feed features a number of eerie tweets, purportedly from a now grown up Marjorie, as well as a photo of what she might look like today.

The department also created a video, along with the caption: “It’s been a long day but to sum it all up, here is what happened to me 33 years ago today.”

[​IMG]PBSO

✔ @PBCountySheriff

Thank you for letting me share my story. Now I ask you to help me. Share my story with others. Help my family find answers. #Justice4Luna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/PBCountySheriff

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2017/05...-496994?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://crimewatchers.net/forum/ind...ng-from-greenacres-fl-27-may-1984-age-8.3581/

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2018
    Akoya, Lily, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

This was really cool. Certainly bringing her "to life" and telling her story this way should draw more attention and bring people in.

Akoya, Lily, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Siblings did this with their murdered Brother's Cold Case a few years ago. I can't remember the name of that case now! I was able to speak with one of them on the phone one time and they were just the neatest people. If anyone can remember that case, I'd like to make sure we have it on here.

spike, Akoya, noZme and 1 other person like this.
  4. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

Why not use every tool available!! Excellent idea!!

I really hope that this will generate new leads and bring answers.

spike, Akoya, noZme and 2 others like this.
  5. RedRose

RedRose Well-Known Member

I will put the link here so those who wish to listen to Christy's Mother talk about the new campaign and how wonderful it was with new tips coming in that are helpful. I admired the Mother for the way she spoke and held herself and I do hope that someone out of the 2 million views steps forward with more information to help bring Christy home where she belongs.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...rl-missing-since-1984/gTmfkyT9BB19iw9TLZrzKJ/

NEW: Social media brings new leads in case of girl missing since 1984

1:14 p.m Thursday, June 1, 2017 Palm Beach County Crime

• [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Video: Social media project brings leads in 33-year-old Christy Luna cold case
    Palm Beach Post
    Autoplay: On | Off
    WEST PALM BEACH
    Jennie Johnson said a range of emotions swept through her last weekend as her long-missing daughter spoke vicariously through the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office social-media account.

“I had swollen eyes the whole weekend,” said Johnson, whose 8-year-old daughter Marjorie “Christy” Luna went missing more than three decades ago. “I just cried my eyes out.”

But Johnson said she was hopeful the sheriff’s office’s social-media campaign, which the office estimates reached more than 2 million people worldwide, will finally yield the clue that finds her daughter.

“I feel very good about this,” she said. “I think we’re finally going to find my little girl.”

Investigators said Thursday that the Memorial Day weekend Twitter and Facebook campaign has generated new leads. The strongest came from a tipster who described a possible abduction in the 1980s, said Detective William Springer of PBSO’s cold-case team.

The tipster described a blue car and a white male who resembled a former person of interest in the case, Springer said. The caller also described an incident in the early 1980s in which someone tried to abduct a young woman in a Palm City community known as The Farms by grabbing her off a horse.

“If you know this person, or you are this person, I’d like to talk to you,” Springer said.

Christy disappeared on Sunday, May 27, 1984, as she walked to a store two blocks from her home to buy food for her cats, Boo Boo and Skeeter.

Over the weekend, she spoke vicariously through sheriff’s office tweets and Facebook postings, recreating in real time events before and after 2:30 p.m. the day the girl went missing. The sheriff’s office estimates the postings reached more than 2 million people on Twitter alone.

Springer said the feedback from the public was mostly positive, although one person described posting in the missing child’s voice as “creepy.”

“As far as I’m concerned, if you think it’s creepy, then don’t follow it,” Springer said.

“I think it’s a good idea. It’s kind of putting that person (forward), bringing them back and making people feel this is somebody who was a human being,” he said. “Just because they’re not here doesn’t meant that they’re not alive. This kind kind of projects as a real person, not just a picture.”

PBSO social-media manager Anthony Rodriguez said the Twitter campaign achieved its goal of stirring up public discussion about Christy’s disappearance.

“We wanted to stir up emotions, so whether it was controversial to bring her voice out, it stirred up a lot of conversation,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said the idea was formed after he attended a “Social Media, the Internet and Law Enforcement” seminar in April at a conference in California. There he learned of a similar presentation last October by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. That presentation focused on the 1986 murder of 16-year-old Kerrie Ann Brown in her hometown of Thompson, Manitoba, about 500 miles north of Winnipeg.

Rodriguez said the sheriff’s office is considering doing similar campaigns for other cold cases. Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said social media can be an effective tool in solving older cases.

“We never forget about these cases,” he said. “I don’t care what case it is, we’re always looking to see if we can solve these cases at some point and time, and if this is the way can do it, we’re going to use it.”

GOT A TIP?

Detective William Springer of PBSO’s cold-case team asked that anyone with information about the Christy Luna case to call him at either 561-688-4013 or 561-315-4188. Tips can be submitted anonymously.

Christy Luna, 8, went missing more than 30 years ago. This is how she looked on Sunday, May 27, 1984, the day she disappeared. (Allen Eyestone/The Palm Beach Post)

Lily, spike, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Marjorie who is more commonly known as "Christy," was 8 years old when she went missing. Her photo is shown age-progressed to 41 years. She was last seen walking in her neighborhood in Greenacres City, Florida. Marjorie has a strawberry birthmark on her hip. She was last seen wearing a turquoise bodysuit and was barefoot.

NCMEC - http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/601802

spike, Akoya and noZme like this.
  7. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Charley Project - http://charleyproject.org/case/marjorie-christina-luna

Marjorie was last seen at a store in her hometown of Greenacres, Florida on May 27, 1984. She purchased cat food and left at 3:00 pm. She was just 400 yards from her home but never made it back.

Willis Rambo, a man who lived near her home, was considered a suspect for a while. Marjorie had visited his house several times. He and his brother were later charged with molesting a 6-year-old friend of Marjorie's, as well as Rambo's stepdaughters. No evidence ties him to Marjorie's case.

Victor Wonyetye Jr., another man who lived near her home, is another suspect. He was reportedly seen outside the store the day Marjorie disappeared. He is also a suspect in the 1984 disappearance of Tammy Belanger of New Hampshire. He has never been charged with either disappearance and no physical evidence links him to the disappearances. He died in 2012.

Delbert Mosher is another possible suspect. He lived in the area and was arrested 3 times for child molestation.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    spike, RedRose, Paradise and 2 others like this.
  8. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6327/6/

Marjorie who is more commonly known as "Christy", was 8 years old when she went missing. She was last seen walking in her neighborhood in Greenacres City, Florida. She was last seen wearing a turquoise bodysuit and was barefoot.

DNA in CODIS.

spike, RedRose, Paradise and 2 others like this.
  9. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

NEW: PBSO social-media campaign to spotlight missing-child cases this week

Sunday will mark 34 years since Marjorie “Christy” Luna left her Greenacres home in search of food for her cats, only to never return.

For the second straight year, a social-media account created by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office will speak in her voice.

This time, the account will spotlight cases involving other missing children.

“This is National Missing Kids Week and I will be spotlighting other missing kids like me throughout the week,” a post on the sheriff’s Christy Luna Twitter page said Monday. The posts will continue through the anniversary of Luna’s disappearance.

The first case spotlighted was that of Jarkeius Adside, a 1-year-old boy from Miami who was abducted Oct. 18, 2001, by three unidentified men during a robbery, according to the sheriff’s office office.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/...child-cases-this-week/avM9QWdcZ7nw8TiYcwfOVI/

Lily, Kimster, Paradise and 1 other person like this.
  10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Loved ones not giving up hope 34 years after Christy Luna's disappearance

Over 30 years later and on this National Missing Children’s Day, the story of an 8-year-old girl who disappeared without a trace is being told.

This Memorial Day weekend marks 34 years since Marjorie “Christy” Luna left her home to a corner store to buy food for her cats and never returned.

However, loved ones continue their efforts to find her.

She created a Facebook group, ‘Missing: Marjorie Christina “Christy” Luna’, which gives people who’d been neighbors or classmates the opportunity to leave tips that may help with Christy’s disappearance. Periche said it’s something Christy’s mother, Jennie, appreciates.

“I promised her, I’m not going to stop until we have our answers and we bring her home,” Periche said.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/loved-ones-not-giving-up-hope-34-years-after-christy-lunas-disappearance

Lily and spike like this.
  11. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

This reminds me of the (thankfully now solved) Kylie Maybury case over here.. It just makes me cringe inside, to see cases like this where a missing or murdered child has lived literally surrounded by pedos.

WHY are they allowed to live among us, incurable and devastating as they are, I will never fathom.

12. Skitt

Skitt Bronze Member

spike likes this.
  13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

‘Credible Lead’ In 35-Year-Old Cold Case Of Missing Florida Girl Christy Luna

More than three decades after the mysterious disappearance of an 8-year-old Florida girl, police may have a break in the case.

Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw announced Monday his department recently received a tip about where Marjory ‘Christy” Luna may be buried.

Sheriff Bradshaw says a recent social media campaign; designed to raise awareness and revive the 35-year-old cold case may have worked.

“In May, the social media division put together a documentary, fortunately for us, the people that are out there paid attention to this and called us and gave us what we believe is one of the most credible leads that we have gotten to date to solve this case,” said Sheriff Bradshaw.

He explained there is a large police presence at a dig site along Swain Avenue, just north of Lake Worth Road and wanted the public to be aware of what was going on.

“We have enlisted the aid of Florida Gulf Coast University anthropologist which will be with us all of the time during the excavation over there and we believe that this is another dot connecting all of the dots that will hopefully bring some closer,” said Sheriff Bradshaw.
    Luna’s mother Jennie Johnson says she is going to remain positive that they are going to bring Christy home.

“It’s been 35 years 2 months and 9 days today,” said Johnson. “I think we are going to bring Christy home. We are going to bring Christy home.”

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/08/05/credible-lead-missing-florida-girl-christy-luna/

Skitt likes this.
  14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

The search for Christy Luna: Dig for missing girl’s remains enters Day 2

The second day of digging into “one of the best and most critical” leads Palm Beach County sheriff’s investigators have received in the 35-year search for Marjorie “Christy” Luna is underway fewer than 200 feet from where she was last seen.

Sheriff’s authorities and forensic anthropologists from Florida Gulf Coast University began excavating Monday morning at 265 Swain Blvd. after receiving a tip that the remains of the little girl last seen in 1984 may be buried there.

They have not said whether any remains have been found.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/...na-dig-for-missing-girls-remains-enters-day-2

Skitt likes this.
  15. Skitt

Skitt Bronze Member

Wouldn't it be nice for the family if they find remains of her daughter... prayers

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed likes this.
  16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Dig finished in missing child case, search continues: Deputies

A nearly week-long dig for possible remains of a missing girl from Greenacres came to an end Friday.

Palm Beach County deputies said someone who saw the social media documentary about Christy Luna disappearance and provided a tip to where Luna's body may be buried. As a result, investigators conducted a dig in an area along Swain Avenue, just north of Lake Worth Road.

Deputies say several large and small bones were found. The large bones were identified as animal bones, not human. The smaller bones have not been identified but are not expected to be human.

The bones will be taken to Florida Gulf Coast University to be further analyzed.

A reward of $15,000 is being offered for any information regarding the case. Anyone with information is urged to contact Detective Bill Springer at 561-688-4013, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-458-TIPS or you can remain anonymous by submitting a tip on the PBSO app.

https://cbs12.com/news/local/dig-finished-in-missing-child-case-search-continues-deputies

Skitt likes this.