1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Mark Ysasaga, 15, murdered in Lubbock, TX - June 2012

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by SoSueMe, Jun 6, 2015.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Administrative Manager Staff Member

Arrest of POI on unrelated charges here. <--

[​IMG]

A person of interest in the homicide of Mark Ysasaga was arrested on unrelated charges Friday in Lubbock.

Lubbock Police Department spokesman Lt. Ray Mendoza confirmed 19-year-old Christian Castro is a person of interest in the Ysasaga case.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
    Uno2Much and MadgeS like this.
  2. Coldjustice

Coldjustice Well-Known Member

3. Coldjustice

Coldjustice Well-Known Member

MadgeS likes this.
  4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Oh sad. :( I hadn't heard that they had found his body. Or, I guess, potentially his body.
    Never did think Mark ran away though. :(

Kimster likes this.
  5. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

“We did the recovery Monday morning,” Natarajan said, “brought the unidentified remains here around 4:00 pm. And by the following day, we had discovered the cause of death, the manner of death, and before the day was over we had done the scientific identification.”

Natarajan said the cause of death has been determined as a gunshot wound. It took less than 24 hours for the medical examiner’s office to determine the cause.
    http://www.everythinglubbock.com/st...-ysasaga-was-pos/20426/ot0YKth5g0uyHyoVaG00uA

fran and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed like this.
  6. Kimster

The Lubbock County Medical Examiner determined Mark Ysasaga's skeletal remains were recovered from private land in South Lubbock County over the weekend.

Ysasaga was originally classified as a runaway in June 2012, but was later changed to a missing person. After years of piecing together clues, a Crime Line tip led investigators to his remains in far South Lubbock.

"It's a huge piece of the puzzle," Captain Roy Bassett with LPD said.

The remains found last weekend near 120th Street and Avenue P was a positive match to 15-year-old Mark Ysasaga.

"Which is something we certainly suspected all along," Captain Bassett said.

Last month police charged a friend of Ysasaga, Jose Simental, 20, with the murder.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/local/story/Mark-Anthony-Ysasaga/zgQBNc8xd0KN5j9SVka6sQ.cspx

7. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Has there been anything released about a motive? This is just so sad.

MadgeS and fran like this.
  8. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

Yes, there is this below linked article that says the murder was over $$$$$$$$.
    It doesn't say how much or what for, so that may come out during trial.

FWIW, this guy they arrested said to an acquaintance they always wondered if they could kill someone and get away with it. .............. It appears the answer is "NO!"

JMHO
    fran

PS, oh and this article was written prior to locating the victim's body. So they had enough evidence to file murder charges without a body. So much for the old saying, "No body, no case." fran

Arrest Warrant Reveals How Police Found the Evidence to Solve Ysasaga Murder

Ysasaga was 15 years old in June of 2012. He was seen in security footage obtained by investigators from the Wal-Mart at Marsha Sharp Freeway and Avenue Q. Police previously confirmed he left the store with friends and went to a home in the 3100 block of 27th Street.

An arrest warrant said a search was done of the home in 2012, which was rented by Simental. The landlord told officers that the carpet and padding had been removed from one bedroom. Witnesses later told police Simental replaced the carpet.

Police said Thursday that a more recent search was also done. Captain Jon Caspell said it is routine for investigators to revisit unsolved cases and this time “new evidence was discovered.”

“This new evidence led us to a local residence,” Caspell said, “where a suspected crime scene and blood DNA evidence was found.”

According to the arrest warrant, officers went back into the house and removed floorboards for a closer examination. Stains on the underside of the floorboards tested positive for blood.

http://www.everythinglubbock.com/st...found-the-eviden/31445/DFYPr2GdQkug4okA8A4iGQ

9. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Kimster likes this.
  10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

The Lubbock Police Department held a press conference to clear up allegations that surrounded the arrest of Castro.

The police said Castro was a person of interest in Mark Ysasaga's murder case, but when he was arrested on June 5 for aggravated robbery and kidnapping, he was never officially booked into the Lubbock County jail. LPD said charges were dropped and Castro was released.

Chief Jerry Brewer said an internal investigation revealed Castro's arrest report was deleted from LPD's system. Brewer said, as a result of that and other aspects of the case, two supervisors were reprimanded and Assistant Chief James Shavers was suspended without pay for 10 days.

http://www.everythinglubbock.com/ne...reaction-statement-after-lpd-press-conference

Mark went missing in June of 2012. His body was found in early June following a Crime Line tip. Although police have never officially admitted it, sources said and public records seemed to corroborate, police paid a person of interest in the murder case $10,000 for information leading to the location of the body. Some of that money came from Mark's family.

Castro posted, among other things, a picture on Facebook of a large sum of money right after the Crime Line tip was paid. Later, on Facebook, Castro denied he killed Mark.

http://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/local-news/assistant-chief-punished-for-mark-ysasaga-case

Uno2Much and fran like this.
  11. Kimster

:thud:

Am I reading this right?

fran, MadgeS, Lily and 2 others like this.
  12. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Cripes..... I don;t even know what to say.

The poor family. As if it's not hard enough already.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, fran and MadgeS like this.
  13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Records show assistant police chief over Ysasaga case demoted after return from 10-day suspension

Former Assistant Police Chief James Shavers was demoted the day after coming back from a 10-day suspension, according to HR forms provided by the city of Lubbock.

Shavers was suspended without pay from Aug. 19-28, according to documents provided to A-J Media through a FOIA request. The following day, Aug. 29, Shavers was removed from his appointment as assistant chief and returned to a captain.

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onli...sasaga-case-demoted-after-return#.VfhknpeQ-y9

spike likes this.
  14. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I'm glad there were some consequences. Things like this though always make me wonder whether the punishment is a token, compared to what's really going on. I mean how many mistakes had to get made, before this guy started looking like the luckiest perp in the world.

MadgeS likes this.
  15. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

This just makes me sick. Mark's poor family.
    Dirty, dirty cops.

Documents Show Asst. Chief Negotiated the Deal to Give $10,000 to Castro in Ysasaga Murder Case

The City of Lubbock on Monday released public records that were requested in mid-August concerning the discipline of former Assistant Police Chief James Shavers and his conduct in the Mark Ysasaga murder case.

Castro was taken to the police department for questioning. In exchange for information on the location of Ysasaga’s body, he wanted the kidnapping and assault charges dropped. He also wanted a $10,000 Crime Line reward according to the documents released Monday.

Shavers suspension order said, “Shavers negotiated the deal that consisted of the charges related to the June 4th home invasion being dropped and Mr. Castro being allowed to make a crime line call to ultimately receive a crime line record in exchange for the additional information.”

On the night of June 5, Shavers, with Castro in the front seat of his police unit, drove to a remote area near 120th Street and Highway 87. Castro pointed out the location of the body; as promised, charges were dropped and the Crime Line money was handed over.

Most of the $10,000 reward was raised by the Ysasaga family.

http://www.everythinglubbock.com/ne...o-give-10000-to-castro-in-ysasaga-murder-case

Uno2Much, Kimster and fran like this.
  17. Kimster

I can't believe what I'm reading!

spike and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed like this.
  18. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

EXCLUSIVE: Mark Ysasaga's mother speaks for first time since body was found

We are now hearing from Anna Ysasaga-Cuevas for the first time since authorities recovered her son's body.

We asked Anna, when you heard about the Castro, Crime Line tip, what were you thinking?

"I was upset because that money, I know that was for my son, to find him," she says. "But, it was the money that communities raised, and they didn't raise it to give to a person that's also involved with it. Or, a person of interest as they say. I'm glad that he told where my son's body was, but I'm not happy of what the outcome of it was."

"I want every single person that was involved, arrested," she says. "Even if you didn't actually kill my son, but if you were there to clean up his blood or help dispose of his body, dig the hole, anything… I want that person arrested and put away."

She says she won't fully find closure until Mark's funeral and unfortunately, this grieving mother doesn't know when that will be, because authorities still have custody of Mark's body.

http://www.kcbd.com/story/31319962/...er-speaks-for-first-time-since-body-was-found

Uno2Much, fran, spike and 2 others like this.
  19. Kimster

:vigil:

What a nightmare.

fran, spike and noZme like this.
  20. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Simental Gets 7 Years, Murder Charge Dropped in Ysasaga Case

Jose Simental, 21, of Lubbock pleaded guilty on Thursday to tampering with evidence in the Mark Ysasaga murder case. He agreed to seven years in prison.

In exchange for his plea, the murder charge was dropped.

Castro was never charged with anything related to the death of Ysasaga even though he led police to the body. Right after the body was found, unrelated charges of kidnapping and aggravated robbery were dismissed. Castro has been re-arrested for domestic violence and threatening the wife of a Lubbock Police Officer.

http://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/simental-gets-7-years-murder-charge-dropped-in-ysasaga-case

Uno2Much and spike like this.