1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

AR MATTHEW CROCKER: Missing from Van Buren, AR - 9 June 1983 - Age 3 months

Discussion in 'Missing 1980 to 1989' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Sep 27, 2015.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Akoya, spike and MissyMoo like this.
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

New Information And Sketches Released In 1983 Van Buren Missing Child Case

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children released new information and composite sketches Friday (Sept. 25) related to a 1983 missing child case out of Van Buren.

Matthew Crocker was four months old when he was abducted from his Van Buren home on June 9, 1983. The center released a sketch of a woman who was last believed to have been with Crocker.

http://5newsonline.com/2015/09/25/n...eleased-in-1983-van-buren-missing-child-case/

New Suspect Sketch on Missing Child Case

The release says there is new information and a composite sketch of the women they believe to have been last seen with Matthew.

Here's the latest information, according to the release:

• It is believe the suspect had been working at a carnival in Fort Smith, Arkansas in June of 1983
    • Law enforcement describes the suspect as a white female with brown hair
    • She had a long scar on the back of her right shoulder
    • The suspect may have used the name "Kathy Johnson"
    Suspect has multiple tattoos:

• A unicorn on her upper left arm
    • The name "Kathy" with a ribbon above it tattooed on her upper right arm
    • A green star with a yellow burst tattooed on her left side of her chest

http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/new-suspect-sketch-on-missing-child-case

[​IMG]

Akoya, spike and MissyMoo like this.
  3. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Whats the link to the suspect and baby Matthew? ive done a google search and cant find any old msm articles. Is there a connection?

Akoya and spike like this.
  4. spike

spike Bronze Member

Good question, Missy.

Akoya and MissyMoo like this.
  5. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

He was a beautiful little bub for sure.
    This lady must be known to the family somehow?
    This is terrible. google is not being my friend I cant find anything online about the baby and kidnapper loop.
    And if she was a random stranger I still cant find anything. You guys were already putting faces on milk cartons by then yes?
    Feel so sorry for the mum she didn't have him for long before he was taken from her :(

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

[​IMG]
    Matthew was allegedly abducted from his home by an adult female on June 9, 1983, when he was 4 months old.

Law enforcement describes the abductor as a White female with a tattoo of a unicorn on her upper left arm and a tattoo on her upper right arm. She also has a tattoo of a green and yellow star on the left side of her chest and a long scar on the back of her right shoulder.

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/crocker_matthew.html

Details of Disappearance:

Matthew's parents met a woman in 1983 who called herself Kathy Johnson. She was a worker at a fair that had stopped in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and a friend of Matthew's family who met her persuaded Matthew's family to take her into their home in Van Buren, Arkansas. Matthew's parents went to bed on June 9, 1983, and when they woke up, Matthew and Johnson were both gone. Neither of them has ever been seen again.

A composite sketch of the abductor is posted below this case summary. She's described as Caucasian, with a tattoo of a green and yellow star on the left side of her chest, a tattoo of a unicorn on her upper left arm, a long scar on the back of her right shoulder and a tattoo on her upper right arm of the name "Kathy" with a ribbon above it. Authorities believe the abductor may have taken Matthew to raise him as her son. They think he's probably still alive and doesn't know his true identity.

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

NCMC1244530a1.jpg
    Matthew's abductor is described as a White female with a tattoo of a unicorn on her upper left arm, the name "Kathy" with a ribbon above it tattooed on her upper right arm and a green star with a yellow burst tattooed on the left side of her chest. She had a long scar on the back of her right shoulder. The suspect may have used the name "Kathy Johnson"

Akoya, Kimster and spike like this.
  10. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

http://5newsonline.com/2015/09/25/van-buren-police-take-second-look-at-32-year-old-kidnapping/

Bob lowery with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children said he believes it is possible Johnson took Matthew to raise as her son. ,“Typically women are the abductors, which is what we expect in this case, and the children are taken so that woman can rear that child and raise that child as their own,” Lowery said.

After so many years, Perry said they are relying on someone recognizing Matthew’s photo or Johnson’s description. “I am just hoping now that there are more databases, and there is more information sharing to the point where somebody comes across the lady with those tattoos that used to be Kathy Johnson,” Perry said. ,Lowery said he is confident that even after all this time Matthew is out there. “We have reason to believe that Matthew is alive and well, and that we would like to find him,” Lowery said.

Perry said he just wants Matthew to know the truth. “We just hopefully reunite him with his family, and I am sure that will be traumatic for him, but we think it is very important that he knows who he is, and the family gets some closure,” Sergeant Perry said. Police said Johnson and Matthew could be using different names now.

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

matthew.png

Akoya, Kimster and spike like this.
  12. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

I think that this young man is out there alive and well. Maybe he had a rough upbringing living on the road with a carnival family. Maybe he doesn't have much access to the internet or facebook. I think that if there was a huge campaign to get his story out to all media including good age progression photos of him and his abductor, plus photos of his biological parents and siblings, that maybe Matthew or someone who knows him now will make the connection or realize that he resembles his real family. Maybe someone will remember the abductors tattoos, even if she had them removed at some point.

Since this abduction happened in 1983, it was years before social media started pushing and aiding in the search for missing persons. It was only recently (the last that most Americans have gained regular access to social media. It may seem to us, those who spend lots of time on the internet and looking at missing people, that Matthew must have seen the online posters and flyers, but I think that it is entirely possible that he has not, and that the people closest to him have not. There are still approximately 25% of Americans who do not have regular access and I would venture a guess that most of those people are poor and/or transient.

I really think that a huge push across many platforms would bring Matthew home. I am going to start posting links to his case on my FB page regularly.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...internet-connection-varies-widely-across-u-s/

Among the regions where the highest share of households have broadband connections are relatively small but college-heavy metro areas such as Boulder (85%) Lawrence, Kan. (83%) and State College, Pa. (81%). But broadband adoption rates are markedly lower in the metro areas of Brownsville-Harlingen, (53%) and Pine Bluff, Ark. (52%), where the share of college graduates is lower than the national average.

https://themissingny.nycitynewsservice.com/part-two/social-media-used-to-find-the-missing/

Before social media, spreading the word about the missing was hampered by limited outreach to those in direct position to help. Amber Alerts were mainly broadcasted on television, radio and on highways. Distribution of missing posters was also limited, only displayed in communities in which the individual was last seen and or lived.

Now, organizations like National Center for Missing & Exploited Children can increase the likelihood missing children are found thanks to more immediate and full-range awareness raised on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. These social media platforms have 1.2 billion, 288 million and 300 million monthly active users, respectively.

“Our social media properties allow us the ability to geo-target our missing children’s posters. In doing so, we are able to reach people who may be in a direct position to help,” said Ashley Iodice, spokesperson for the National Center.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  13. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

That’s a really interesting study! In the age of social media it’s hard to fathom that some people don’t have internet. However in more rural areas i guess some people live just like they did in 1983 when Matthew disappeared. I hope Matthews relatives have submitted their DNA to ancestry sites like ancestry.com and 23andme

spike, Akoya, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  14. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

I think that doing the DNA would also be a great resource; however, if Matthew was raised and is still living in a transient type lifestyle, then it is unlikely that he or any children of his would be doing the same. Another thing that I am considering is that he may have children who could be more likely that himself to be on social media. Matthew will be 35 years old next month. At 35 yo I had three children. He could easily have a teenager of his own who may recognize their dad or "grandmother". The question is, how to target teenagers? How does an organization like NCMEC target teens in a campaign for missing adults?

15. Redrover

Redrover Well-Known Member

Interesting snip it from an article found at https://www.aymag.com/murder-mystery-the-lost-children/

Among the kidnapped children from Arkansas is Matthew Wade Crocker, and he is the youngest person in the Arkansas database. He was only four months old when abducted from his home by a woman who was going by the alias “Kathy Johnson.” Coincidentally, this happened on June 9, the same month and day as Morgan Nick’s abduction from an Alma ballpark, but Matthew disappeared 12 years earlier in 1983. Van Buren Police Department (VBPD) Detective Daniel Perry is the lead investigator on the case, and he confirmed that Johnson had been working at a carnival that was passing through Fort Smith when she met a man who knew Matthew’s mother.

“The guy talked Matthew’s mother into letting her stay during this time she was working at the carnival,” Perry says.

That night, Matthew was being fussy and was crying. Kathy told his mother to go on to bed, that she would stay up and take care of him and try to get him to go to sleep. His mother agreed, but when she woke up the next morning, Kathy and Matthew were gone. Johnson stole a 1973 Chevrolet Vega that belonged to the man she had met at the carnival, but it was recovered the next morning in Sallisaw, Okla.

Matthew has brown eyes and would be 36 years old now. He was born with a concave chest, a relatively rare condition that affects about one in 1,000 children. Surgery may have been required to correct this medical anomaly. Investigators hope the publicity will help find Matthew. It’s possible he could even recognize himself. Just as Kamiyah Mobley did.

The 18-year-old Mobley told a friend she had been abducted as a newborn. The NCMEC received two tips about the kidnapping in 2016 and discovered that a woman named Gloria Williams, posing as a nurse, had stolen Kamiyah from a Florida hospital just after her birth and raised her under the name Alexis Kelli Manigo. Some details are unclear, partly because Kamiyah still thought of Williams as her mother. Williams received an 18-year prison sentence for the crime.

According to NCMEC, 325 infants have been abducted in the United States over the past 50 years, and almost all were taken by women.Though some, like Williams, may raise the child as their own, that’s not necessarily true in Matthew’s case.

“There wasn’t anything to point toward that,”Perry said, but he would like to think that Matthew is still alive and just doesn’t know who he is. DNA can confirm his identity if someone comes forward.

Johnson, who may have also used the first name Judy, was a petite brunette and had tattoos of a unicorn on one arm and the name “Kathy” on her other arm. She had a third tattoo of a green and yellow star or sunburst on her chest. She had a long scar on the back of her right shoulder and another scar on her left shoulder blade. She would probably be around 60 years old now.

It is interesting that the lady worked for a carnival and it seems the investigator had confirmed this. I would also imagine that the carnival folks had been interviewed and confirmed her existence under that assumed name but may have not known much about her and the name "Kathy Johnson" may have been phony. However, she had very distinct tattoos. I hope that those tattoo descriptions have been passed to other carnivals where she may have worked later in life or earlier in life. This would help build a picture of who this woman actually was.

16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Family of 4-month-old baby who vanished from crib more than 30 years ago believes he is still alive

The family of a baby boy snatched from his crib over 30 years ago believes he is still alive, and have not given up hope that will one day be reunited with him.

As People magazine reports, Matthew Crocker vanished on June 9, 1983, when a woman who had befriended his mother is believed to have taken him from his crib, where he was sleeping next to his sister Elizabeth at their home in Van Buren, Arkansas.

Now 38, Elizabeth Christensen told People that she still desperately wants to find her brother, and believes he is still alive.

“We want to find him so bad…Even though he didn’t get to be a part of our family, hopefully he was loved and had a normal, happy life,” Elizabeth said.

“I don’t know if he has kids, and do they look like mine? And do I look like him? Do we have similar personality traits? …. I wonder so many things.”

https://www.crimeonline.com/2019/11...than-30-years-ago-believes-he-is-still-alive/