1. NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on Monday, September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information

    CALIFORNIA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for John Weir, 2, who was abducted from Merced on September 20.
    He is believed to be in the company of his "armed and dangerous" father, Steven Weir, 32.
    They may be traveling in a red 2005 Hyundai Elantra with California plates 5SKT544.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NSW MATTHEW LEVESON: Missing from Cronulla, NSW - 25 Sept 2007 - Age 20 *Found Deceased*

Discussion in 'Australia: Located/Resolved' started by MarlyWings, Oct 7, 2015.

  1. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Disappearance of Matthew Leveson

    NSW Police are renewing their appeal for information into the 2007 disappearance, and believed murder, of a 20-year-old Sydney man.

    Matthew Leveson, from Cronulla in Sydney’s south, was reported missing on Tuesday 25 September 2007 by concerned relatives after he failed to arrive at his work and could not be contacted.

    He was last seen leaving a nightclub at Surry Hills about 2am on Sunday 23 September. Police then located his abandoned car on Thursday 27 September at Waratah Oval, Sutherland.

    Detectives attached to Miranda Local Area Command were notified and launched an exhaustive investigation into his disappearance, which was considered suspicious almost immediately as it was completely out of character.

    Despite extensive searches, Matthew’s body has never been located and police have been unable to determine the circumstances surrounding his disappearance.

    In 2008, Miranda Police charged a man with murder, however, he was acquitted at trial and the investigation continues.

    The renewed appeal comes as the NSW Minister for Police and Emergency Services, Michael Gallacher, announces a $100,000 reward for information leading to the discovery of Matthew’s body.

    Detective Inspector Rohan Cramsie, Crime Manager of Miranda Local Area Command, said despite extensive investigations, police have so far been unable to determine what exactly happened to Matthew.

    “There is a person, or people, out there who knows what happened to Matt. We’re again appealing for them to come forward with information that will allow the Leveson family closure and the ability to bury their son.

    “There are a lot of unanswered questions, and, to this date investigating officers have been unable to determine what happened to Matthew. Hopefully this reward will give them the encouragement needed to come forward,” he said.

    Matthew is described as being of Caucasian appearance, about 175cm tall, of thin build, and with short blond hair. He was last seen wearing light-brown cargo shorts, a black singlet and white leather shoes.


    Anyone with information that may assist investigators is urged to contact Miranda Police or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.


    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  2. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    ‘They dumped him like a wild animal’: Parents of missing man scour bushland for their son’s body for eight years… and are heartbroken by hoax confession

    21 June 2015

    A grief stricken family have spent eight years routinely scouring bushland in a desperate attempt to find their son’s remains after his suspicious disappearance; believing he was ‘killed and dumped like a wild animal’.

    Sydney couple Faye and Mark Leveson believed the heart-breaking search for their son, 20-year-old Matthew Leveson, was almost over when someone finally admitted to killing and burying him.

    They were shattered when the confession was revealed to be a cruel hoax after an almost year-long police investigation.

    ‘It feels like Matt’s been murdered all over again,’ Mr Leveson told Daily Mail Australia.

    The family are desperate to solve the mystery behind Matthew’s suspicious disappearance and are disgusted to have been manipulated by ‘some ratbag playing a mean, cruel joke.’

    ‘Matty’ Leveson was last seen by friends leaving Sydney nightclub ARQ with his partner Michael Peter Atkins, in the early hours of Sunday morning, on 23 September 2007.

    Although his partner was arrested and charged with the young call-centre worker’s murder, he was acquitted by a jury in October 2009.

    The Leveson family tell Daily Mail Australia they will never move on from their son’s disappearance


    Lily likes this.
  3. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Timeline Of Matthew Leveson's Disappearance

    22 September 2007

    Matthew Leveson spent the night partying with friends at Sydney night club ARQ

    23 September 2007

    Mr Leveson is seen leaving ARQ at around 3.30 am with partner Michael Peter Atkins.

    The last known contact he had with anyone was a text message sent to a friend at 3.30am saying his partner was taking him home and that he 'needs to f***ing get over himself'

    25 September 2007

    Mr Leveson's family report him missing when he fails to show up at work

    27 September 2007

    Police locate Mr Leveson's green 1999 Toyota Corolla Seca hatchback minutes from his home, parked outside the public toilets of Waratah Park Reserve in Rawson Avenue, Sutherland.

    It was wiped of fingerprints which police said suggested foul play.

    The only evidence inside was a receipt for a mattock and duct tape bought from a Bunnings hardware shop on the day of Leveson's disappearance.

    16 October 2007

    Police tell Leveson family they believe Matthew 'met with foul play'

    5 August 2008

    Michael Peter Atkins arrested at the couple's flat in Tonkin Street, Cronulla, and charged with murder. Mr Arkins denied any involvement in Mr Leveson's disappearance.

    3 September 2009

    Evidence is presented to the court that Atkins sent Matthew a series of concerned text messages knowing he would not reply because he had the victim's phone.

    It is also revealed the couple sold drugs together at nightclubs across Sydney.

    20 October 2009

    After close to five days of deliberations, the jury found Michael Peter Atkins not guilty of murder, also acquitting him of a secondary charge of manslaughter.

    A $100,000 reward was offered for any information that leads to the recovery of Mr Leveson's body

    Lily and Kimster like this.
  4. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Matt Leveson inquest: Witness tells of threesomes with Michael Atkins, the man acquitted of missing man’s murder

    December 14, 2015

    HIS arms around his young partner, this is Michael Atkins and Matt Leveson on their last night together.

    It was taken at Darlinghurst’s Arq nightclub in September 2007 and just hours later Matt, 22, would be missing and Mr Atkins, 52, would later be charged and acquitted of his murder.

    Their friend, given the pseudonym John Burns, has told the inquest into Matt’s death how he took this photograph at Arq either late on September 23 or early on September 24, 2007.

    It has been tendered to the inquest at Glebe Coroners Court today.

    Mr Burns told the inquest of his sexual threesomes with the couple.

    He said he only had sex with his friend Matt Leveson, 20, and Matt’s partner Michael Atkins, 52, because he wanted to get closer to Mr Leveson.

    Mr Burns is believed to be the last person to have spoken to Matt, albeit by text message, before he went “missing” after leaving Darlinghurst’s Arq Nightclub with Mr Atkins in the early hours of Sunday September 23, 2007.

    Mr Atkins, who the inquest has heard lied to police about being at home later that Sunday when he was caught on CCTV buying a mattock and duct tape from Bunnings, was charged with Matt’s murder but acquitted by a jury in 2009.

    Mr Leveson’s body has never been found.

    Lily likes this.
  5. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    I don't get it. Atkins was acquitted. They can't press charges against him again, can they?
  6. Lily

    Lily Bronze Member

    During a Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting of 2007, model legislation to rework double jeopardy laws was drafted,[5] but there was no formal agreement for each state to introduce it. All states have now chosen to introduce legislation that mirrors COAG's recommendations on "fresh and compelling" evidence.

    In New South Wales, retrials of serious cases with a minimum sentence of 20 years or more are now possible, whether or not the original trial preceded the 2006 reform.[6] On 17 October 2006, the New South Wales Parliament passed legislation abolishing the rule against double jeopardy in cases where:

    ---------So maybe he *can* be retried?

    I'm really, really surprised he was acquitted.
    MarlyWings likes this.
  7. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Ok so the inquest has resumed. Here's hoping there's a positive outcome for Matthew's family!

    Matthew Leveson's boyfriend Michael Atkins partying week after partner's disappearance, inquest told

    Tue 23 Feb 2016, 4:22pm

    The boyfriend of missing 20-year-old Matthew Leveson invited another man to the Sleaze Ball dance party a week after his partner's disappearance and gave him drugs, an inquest has heard.

    The man, who gave evidence under the pseudonym of Anthony Rogers, told the Glebe Coroners Court he was 17 at the time and said Michael Atkins invited him to the gay and lesbian dance party in September 2007.

    Mr Leveson had already been missing for a week and was last seen outside the ARQ nightclub at Darlinghurst in inner Sydney.

    Mr Leveson's body has never been found, but his car was located abandoned in Waratah Park, in Sutherland, in Sydney's south.

    Today, a woman giving evidence under pseudonym of Jane Brown told the court Mr Atkins knew the area well

    At the opening of the new inquest in December last year, the court was shown video footage and photographs of Mr Leveson leaving ARQ nightclub, followed by his partner Mr Atkins, who was aged 45 at the time.

    The inquest also heard the relationship between the pair was not going well at the time and Mr Atkins had given several different versions of what happened.

  8. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Partner of missing man Matthew Leveson asked ex-lover to Sleaze Ball, inquest hears

    February 23, 2016

    Within days of the disappearance of young Sydney man Matthew Leveson, his partner Michael Atkins had invited a 20-year-old former lover to the annual Sleaze Ball, the coroner's court has heard.

    A man going under the pseudonym Anthony Rogers told the ongoing inquest into Mr Leveson's death that on September 29, 2007 - six days after Mr Leveson was last seen - he received a text message from Mr Atkins.

    In it, Mr Atkins, then 44, told Mr Rogers that he had a "spare ticket" to the ball and asked if he wanted to come along

    Mr Rogers, completely unaware that Mr Leveson was missing, agreed to go to the ball.

    He said that when they arrived, Mr Atkins offered him a dose of the drug 'GHB' contained in a small plastic fish of the type sushi restaurants often used to distribute soy sauce.

    He told the inquest that he drank the entire vial, resulting in an overdose that forced him to the ball's medical tent where he stayed until the next morning.

    Mr Rogers said he only found the next day that Mr Leveson was missing when a friend told him it was "strange" that Atkins had invited him to the event.

    "It was a big discomfort for me - that this had happened and that I had no idea about it," Mr Rogers said.

  9. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    'He did it': Matthew Leveson's mother breaks down during inquest into son's death

    February 24, 2016

    The mother of missing Sydney man Matthew Leveson fled a coronial inquest in distress today, shouting “he did it” at the 53-year-old man who was acquitted of her son’s murder.

    Faye Leveson, whose son has been missing since September 2007, stood and shook her finger at Michael Atkins, who was found not guilty of murder and manslaughter after five days of jury deliberations in 2009.

    “He did it. He did it. We just want his body back,” Ms Leveson cried out during an unscheduled adjournment at the Glebe Coroners Court in Sydney, as she broke down in frustration.

    The courtroom altercation followed revelations Mr Atkins waited almost four days until he first attempted to call Mr Leveson’s mobile phone, a coronial inquest heard.

  10. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Partner may incriminate himself if forced to testify at Matthew Leveson inquest, lawyer argues

    February 24, 2016 - 7:13PM

    More than eight years after Matthew Leveson disappeared, the lawyer for his former boyfriend has argued he should not be compelled to give evidence to a coronial inquest as it may incriminate him in his death

    On Wednesday, Deputy State Coroner Elaine Truscott heard oral submissions as to whether it was in the interest of justice to compel Mr Atkins to give evidence before the current inquest into Mr Leveson's death.

    If compelled, Mr Atkins's evidence will be given with an assurance of immunity, meaning that he is protected from the evidence being used against him in any future criminal proceedings.

    Describing it as the "difficult point of my decision", Coroner Truscott outlined the challenge before her.

    "Does the court immunise somebody from being charged with the offence of murder even though my task has got nothing to do with the offence. That is the effect of what the requirement of protection would be."

    Mr Atkins' lawyer Claire Wasley acknowledged his evidence could incriminate him in Mr Leveson's death, and argued it would undermine the administration of justice and "cause concern in the community" if someone who admitted to murder was "allowed to walk free with no legal consequences."

    "It is my submission that it wouldn't be in the interest of justice for somebody to be granted immunity from prosecution for murder."

    Two days after he was reported missing, his car was found parked at Waratah Oval in Sutherland. Inside the car police found a Bunnings Warehouse receipt for a mattock and gaffer tape.

    Mr Atkins' fingerprint was on the receipt, the inquest has heard.

    CCTV footage from the Taren Point hardware store showed Mr Atkins buying the items about midday on September 23, but he has always denied involvement in Mr Leveson's disappearance.

    The inquest continues before Coroner Truscott on Thursday.

  11. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    Am I reading this correctly? He doesn't want to discuss what he knows because he may be implicated in the murder, and if implicationed, people won't want him walking around because he was involved in a murder. But isn't that what the justice system is all about?
    MarlyWings likes this.
  12. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Yeah he sounds seriously messed up!! It's not as though he's going to tell the truth after the lies he apparently told through his trial.
  13. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Missing man's boyfriend was active on dating sites in days after his disappearance, inquest hears

    25 Feb 2016, 3:42pm

    In the days after Sydney man Matthew Leveson went missing, his lover Michael Atkins was active on gay dating websites and travelled to Newcastle to meet one young man for sex, a coronial inquest has heard.

    The young man referred to by the pseudonym Bradley Johns told the inquest that Mr Atkins arrived at his apartment in Hunter Street, Newcastle, on September 26, 2007, covered in dirt from top to toe.

    Mr Johns said Mr Atkins was wearing work clothes and work boots, all of which were plastered with an "ashy dirt".

    "He kept saying 'I need to have a shower, I have been at work, I'm gross'," he told the inquest.

    Despite it being the first time they had met, Mr Johns said Mr Atkins went straight into the bathroom where he spent 20-30 minutes showering.

    Mr Johns said the two men later had sex.

    He said he asked Mr Atkins about his partner.

    "He said he was away and it wasn't an issue he was seeing me," Mr Johns told the inquest

    When Mr Johns got home, he discovered Mr Atkins' soiled work clothes were still on the floor in his bathroom.

    He said he put the clothes in a plastic bag but ignored text messages and phone calls from Mr Atkins who wanted to collect his clothes the following morning.

    Mr Johns said he was unable to find the bag of clothes when police contacted him on March 2009.

  14. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Mr Atkins sent 'flirtatious' texts to another man, Inquest hears

    Another man, referred to as Patrick Anderson, told the inquest that he met Mr Atkins at ARQ nightclub in April 2007 shortly after his 18th birthday.

    He also knew Mr Leveson.

    Mr Anderson said Mr Atkins frequently contacted him on instant messaging and sent him "flirtatious" text messages, asking if he wanted to "play around ".

    "Mike asked me to be discreet, to keep the conversation we had between us," Mr Anderson said.

    The inquest heard that on the night of Wednesday, September 26, 2007, the pair exchanged 37 test messages, with Mr Atkins wanting to meet up.

    Counsel assisting Lester Fernandez asked, "In any of those messages, did he tell you that his partner Matt had disappeared?"

    "No," Mr Anderson replied.

  15. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    This report is from back in early December last year when the inquest first began....

    Police interview with older lover played at Glebe Coroner's Court

    8 Dec 2015

    A police interview with a man who was later acquitted of murdering his younger lover has been played at the Glebe Coroner's court in Sydney.

    The court was shown CCTV police said was Mr Atkins leaving a hardware store after purchasing a mattock and gaffer tape on September 23, 2007.

    The man wore camouflage pants similar to those Atkins told police he was wearing that day.

    Police later recorded an interview with Atkins as part of their investigation into Matthew Leveson's disappearance.

    POLICE: It's our belief that about 12:20 on Sunday afternoon that you went to Bunnings Warehouse and you were the person who purchased the pick and the gaffer tape. Is there anything you wish to say about that?

    MR ATKINS: I don't think it was me.

    POLICE: Who do you think it could be?

    MR ATKINS: I don't know.

    The police interviewer went on to say: "How does it make you feel knowing that in Matt's car is a receipt for this purchase ... and that we're telling you that the person who looks like you is in the footage at Bunnings Warehouse purchasing the pick and the role of gaffer tape when Matt, at this moment, is missing?"

    Mr Atkins responded: "Surprised". He declined to elaborate.

    POLICE: OK Michael - are you in any way connected to the disappearance of Matt Leveson?

    Faye Leveson put her hand to her mouth and listened intently during the hearing.

    She said the worst part was not knowing where her son's body was, to be able to give him a proper burial.

    The inquest also heard that the relationship between the pair was not going well at the time and that Mr Atkins had given several different versions of what happened

  16. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    How in the wide world was this guy acquitted at trial!??!?!?!

    I bet police were totally stunned!!
  17. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

  18. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Missing box of evidence from Matthew Leveson case discovered in police officer's roof, inquest hears

    February 26, 2016 - 8:45PM

    A box full of important missing evidence from the investigation into the death of young Sydney man Matthew Leveson has been discovered gathering dust in the roof of a former police officer's home, raising hopes of a major breakthrough in the case.

    In a bizarre twist in the nine-year saga following the 20-year-old's disappearance in September 2007, the coroner's court heard on Friday that the evidence had been found on Thursday night in the home of Nicole Power, formerly the officer in charge of assisting with the coronial investigation.

    The box contains 80 separate discs of electronic evidence, including CCTV footage from the night of Mr Leveson's disappearance.

    "Maybe this is what we needed," Mr Leveson's mother, Faye, said after the revelations emerged.

    Among the evidence contained in the box is CCTV footage from Sydney's ARQ nightclub, where Matthew was last seen in the early hours of September 23, 2007, leaving with his partner, Michael Atkins.

    While evidence contained in the missing box was available to police at Mr Atkins' trial, a considerable amount of new information has emerged since then which is likely to place the material in a new light.

    As well as the CCTV footage from ARQ, the box contains an hour of missing video footage, recorded by police, from the search warrant conducted at Mr Atkins' home soon after Matthew's disappearance.

    The inquest will continue on March 4

  19. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

    Leveson's parents say 'you've got to laugh'

    26 Feb 2016, 6:57pm

    Speaking outside the court, Matthew Leveson's parents described their relief at the recovery of the evidence.

    "We had a phone call last night from a former detective who worked on the case ... and that detective was charged with making a brief for the coroner and took evidence away from the police station to work on in her own time," Mark Leveson said.

    "After she concluded her brief the four of five boxes were returned to the police station and one wasn't."

    Faye Leveson said: "You've got to laugh, otherwise you're going to go into a heap and cry.

    "In one way, maybe this is what we needed. The stuff that's gone missing has been found and hopefully that'll make the court's case stronger.

    She said the whole ordeal was a "continual rollercoaster".

    "It's just getting harder and harder to keep going. But we've got to do it."

    Mr Atkins is yet to give evidence at this inquest.

  20. MarlyWings

    MarlyWings Retired Staff

Share This Page