1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MCSTAY MURDERS: The State of California v. Charles Merritt *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by MartinBeck, May 19, 2015.

1. TX SMR

TX SMR Posting my personal opinions

You may not know for sure but I am absolutely convinced he murdered the family. I also think the PT did a fabulous job of presenting the facts that prove his guilt.

2. Freebird

Freebird Bronze Member

I’m not convinced. Too many holes in PT’s case and incomplete investigation.

3. TX SMR

Fortunately for those of us who live in Southern California the 12 jurors saw through DT's dog and pony show, convicted the right man and got an extremely dangerous individual off the streets - for life. Any person who has the capacity to bash in the heads of small children has no business living among us.

4. Freebird

Freebird Bronze Member

I agree. “Anybody who has the capacity to bash in the heads of small children has no business living among us.” The killers are still out there. Three unknown dna profiles are still outstanding. Huge red flag.

5. TX SMR

The three unknown profiles may or may not reveal anyone connected to the crime. The killer, yes only one, is sitting behind bars waiting to go to the big prison where he belongs. There is no evidence to indicate anyone else was involved in the crime. Nope, Merritt is the sole person responsible for bashing in the heads of the McStay family and he's exactly where he should be, other than 6 feet under.

6. Freebird

Freebird Bronze Member

Agree to disagree. There was a tunnel vision investigation and the defense team was limited to that scope. I am not convinced Chase Merritt is guilty.

7. TX SMR

There's no way anyone can say with any amount of certainty that there was a tunnel vision investigation. It's not as if LE ran out and arrested the first person they laid eyes on. The investigation went on for years and was very thorough, unfortunately for Merritt all the evidence pointed to him. The defense team are the ones who had/have tunnel vision.

8. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

There is plenty of evidence of tunnel vision. All one had to do was actually listen to the defense in their questioning and the non-answers to their questions by nearly every person that was in charge of the investigation.

9. TX SMR

There is absolutely nothing anyone can say that will convince me Merritt didn't murder the McStay family. There is way too much evidence supporting Merritt's guilt and nothing to support anyone else's involvement. Maybe one day the handful of Merritt supporters will see the light. If they don't that's ok because Merritt will still be locked up an unable to hurt anyone else. I'm very grateful law enforcement and the 12 jurors got it right.

10. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

If there is nothing anybody can say, then why do you constantly come here just to stir the pot? It seems most of us have an open mind as to what has happened and want to delve deeper into actual facts. It's really annoying.

11. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

Exactly. The best evidence of the tunnel vision IMO was the fact that they didn't look into anything in regards to Dan. Maybe I would be much more comfortable with the verdict if they had. The lack of investigation into Dan was very clear during the questioning of LE, didn't look into the paypal accounts, slightly looked into the Hawaii thing but what they used for "proof" was absolutely ridiculous and in any other case I have ever followed that would never stand as being an 'investigation', they didn't look into the sale of the business. And these are just the things we know. I imagine there is much more in their files that we don't know and maybe other avenues that were never investigated because they focused on Merritt. Wish this had happened in Florida :D

I think many of us here have followed other cases and watched other trials. In this case, I have found that there are a lot of people that have never followed other trials or other cases and are content with the outcome, no matter how we got here. Some of us aren't. I can respect that people believe he is guilty, and I can even understand it, where they lose me is when they say they investigation was good....And further lose me when they say the prosecutors were good. I don't know, maybe I have watched too many other trials and my standards are higher? lol

12. TX SMR

Just because I have an opposing opinion doesn't mean I'm stirring the pot. I don't owe you or anyone else an explanation as to why I participate on this blog. If I/it annoys you feel free to ignore me. :good:

13. missy1974

14. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I'm curious too. At first I thought it was just a common practice, but it appears there was a little bit of a problem between somebody (s).

15. missy1974

I think (hope lol) we will find out when the post trial motions are filed. I am still leaning towards ineffective assistance of counsel, but who knows, maybe Merritt wasn't impressed with him after he came back from his "illness", IMO McGee was not as good as he was before he had to take time off for his health issues.

WinnieChurchill and Freebird like this.