1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Vanessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Vanessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MCSTAY MURDERS: The State of California v. Charles Merritt *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by MartinBeck, May 19, 2015.

1. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

I remember a lot of people thinking Mike did it because of the hinky crap he did after Joey went missing. A lot thought CM too. However, CM had little reason to do it. He owed a lot of money, but he would have been cutting off his entire income from doing this.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...stery-Fallbrook-Disappearance--232068061.html

Timeline: McStay Family Mystery
    By R. Stickney

Feb. 13, 2010 - Mike McStay (Joseph's Brother) crawls inside an open window, searching for family. Finds family dogs had not been fed and food was left on the counter in the kitchen.

Feb. 15, 2010- Family members report the entire family missing to San Diego County sheriff’s deputies

Why didn't Mike call on the thirteenth? Why didn't the family call before two days later?

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...s-Investigators-on-McStay-Case-282236811.html

...San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore is coming to the defense of his investigators after the patriarch of the McStay family ripped into the department, claiming he “knew they screwed this up” just hours after an arrest was made in the high-profile deaths of his son, his daughter-in-law and his two grandsons....

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica.com/2013/11/who-killed-joey-and-summer-mcstay_19.html

...The person that Patrick is the most interested in the police talking to is the man that Joseph asked the Child Protection Services to check on in regards to abuse in a home. (Please note that many people were talked to regarding this case via telephone and not in persons--kinda hard to tell if someone is lying when you are talking to them on the phone.) When the person found out what Joseph had done, he threatened him....

...Another suspect, as far as social media is concerned is a partner of Joseph's that he called the day he disappeared and in fact called many, many time over the course of the day....

There are other valid suspects. We won't know what the evidence is until it's released. So we can't say one way or another until then, but we can examine the already known facts.

For someone to believe the CM did this, they'd have to believe: CM left his phone at home and then used Joey's to call himself. So he would have had to call his own phone while they were on the road. To create an alibi. He also would have to have his girlfriend lie for him:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ect-McStay-murder-mystery-breaks-silence.html

...‘It has been reported that I spoke to him in the evening, but that isn’t true. He did call me at 8.28pm, but I was watching a movie with my girlfriend, looked at the phone and decided not to answer....

'When you talk to Joseph it takes about half an hour, so I thought I’d catch up with him in the morning.

I also think that the two separate grave holes are a sign that two people were involved. I believe one man would just dig one big hole. If one of them was CM I'd be willing to bet he'd blabbing to the cops about who the other person is.

I think there are a lot of things that point away from CM. Since this is also the same group who declared Rebecca Zahau's death a suicide. So I'm not really sure they know what they're doing.

If Rick is wrong at least CM had some public backing and someone doing some legwork to find the truth. You can dislike Rick all you want, but he's doing a good thing by raising questions. JMO

2. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I would really like to hear from some people who believe Chase Merritt is guilty - and why.

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  3. Falicey

Falicey New Member

So little of the information available to us at this point is from an independent, unbiased and verifiable source that it's difficult for me to be confident in anyone's guilt or innocence. For me to claim otherwise would be more akin to me rooting for a sports team or evangelizing about my religious/political philosophy. [It would be almost as valuable as either of those, too, LOL.]

I am much more confident when I say this:

It should be a very interesting trial.

[Are FTO & Time on here? If so, Hi!

I look forward to discussing the case with you all as it is presented.

Cousin Dupree and Lily like this.
  4. Retteacher

Retteacher Well-Known Member

Dupree, there's no real proof that Chase owed money. That was never said until after he was arrested by Patrick. I'm not sure I believe it. Why didn't Patrick say this from the begining. Chase was not on his suspect list then. I hope we find all this out. Yes, this trial will be interesting.

Falicey, Cousin Dupree and Lily like this.
  5. Falicey

Falicey New Member

What specific corruption is Merritt (or his supporters) alleging against the prosecutors? I see that mentioned allot.

Is anyone else uncomfortable with the new lawyers? Is Mettias the son-in-law or favorite nephew of a big shot in the California courts? Seems strange to me that he lucked into the Pusik (sp?) case and the cops just cut him a check, no investigation or trial or negotiations required. Then a month later, he lands the criminal case of a lifetime.

Are any of the Fab Four Dream Team death penalty qualified trial attorneys? Without commenting on the evidence or arguments presented, if any case ever qualified for the death penalty, this case certainly should, if only based on the ages and number of victims and their relative goodness/evil.

ttl and Cousin Dupree like this.
  6. Falicey

Falicey New Member

Is it worth the time to listen to any episodes of Rick Baker's radio show?

7. Retteacher

Yes, IMO listen to his show from Friday night. Interesting points brought out. Most of all, the investigator who'll be staying on was the first to comment that there is no evidence in the house. A drop of blood from the current owners. Chase's daughter is on.

Falicey, Lily and Cousin Dupree like this.
  8. ttl

ttl New Member

Yes, if you're bored and want a good laugh. IMO

9. Retteacher

SoSueMe, Cousin Dupree and Lily like this.
  10. ttl

ttl New Member

11. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I dunno about "good reading" , I'm not interested in internet wars.

I'd like to know, expression analysis completely aside, whether her summary of MM's behaviour after the disappearance is accurate. Or not.

12. Cousin Dupree

13. Cousin Dupree

Kavanaugh and Mike seem to have acted very strangely before the family was confirmed missing. JMO

Lily likes this.
  14. Cousin Dupree

In this one Chase Merrit tells the police he doesn't believe that the family going into Mexico was the McStays. Wouldn't it be in his best interest to make them think the McStays were in Mexico?

SoSueMe and Lily like this.
  15. Retteacher

Yes, and he also said it when he gave the Daily Mail interview.

16. ttl

ttl New Member

In my opinion her summary is completely off base and without merit. It appears as though she is a complete and utter phony.

17. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Care to explain why, exactly?

18. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Attorney: Greed alleged motive in McStay family slayings

A man riding his dirt bike in the area where the bodies were buried discovered some of the skeletal remains in November 2013 and called 9-1-1. Sheriff’s crime scene investigators unearthed the skeletal remains of two adults and two children, who were later identified as the McStay family.

A Stanley brand 3-pound sledgehammer with yellow handle and a black head was found in the grave where the remains of Summer McStay and one of her children were unearthed, said Mettias, adding that the sledgehammer is the alleged weapon used in the killings.

The remains of Joseph McStay and one of his sons were in the other grave, and Joseph McStay’s neck and hands were bound behind his back with a white extension cord, Mettias said.

No fingerprints or DNA evidence was found on the sledgehammer linking Meritt to the killings, and white paint spatter on the hammer did not match paint at the McStay’s Fallbrook home, Mettias said.

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20150610/attorney-greed-alleged-motive-in-mcstay-family-slayings

19. Cousin Dupree

So let me get this straight. The evidence against Chase Merritt is:

$15,000 in embezzlement.

The width of an axle. Most cars are made on the same chassis for companies. It's cheaper. Also, it never rained in three years?

A sledgehammer that has no DNA or paint matching.

Supposedly the sledgehammer was used in the home where the cops only found one spec of blood belonging to the current owner. That's a neat trick.

Another neat trick is getting the McStay's car to the border and then walking home.

The only thing that bothers me is the cell phone ping. Merritt said he was home when the phone rang.

Still I think there is a lot more evidence against Mike. JMO

Kimster likes this.
  20. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Administrative Manager Staff Member

Thanks for the videos. I want to see the evidence that makes them so sure the murders were comitted in the home. It has always been said there was no evidence of foul play in the home.

Lily and Cousin Dupree like this.