1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MCSTAY MURDERS: The State of California v. Charles Merritt *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by MartinBeck, May 19, 2015.

1. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

How closely have you been following this trial? Have you watched at least some of the trial? I have and I've also been keeping up by reading the things here people observed while watching the trial. Perhaps, Merritt had some financial shenanigans going on, but those have had some explanation by the defense. DK has a history of violence towards women. CM does not. Summer was raped and that doesn't sound like something CM would do, based on history. DK has been charged for similar crimes. Cell phone pings prove DK was never in Hawaii when he said he was.

I believe Akoya's information proves that DK was funneling money to his grandfathers PP account from the business.

He's got a lot of stuff to explain. The information from the prosecution pre-trial was not that accurate and it's a notoriously lazy PD.

Freebird, nak2thenik and Akoya like this.
  2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Thank you, Cousin. The image below is old and it's the best I could do...

2/18/10 – e-check payment to daniel.kavanaugh@gmail.com $3000USD. Transaction ID SRW06714LN563872B

[​IMG]

3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Freebird likes this.
  4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Tracey Riccobene was discussed in the courtroom. Perhaps this is the reason Dan Kavanaugh has disappeared.

[​IMG]

Freebird likes this.
  5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

After the McStay family disappeared, people started to wonder if the family had gone off the grid as Dan Kavanaugh’s grandfather, John Pugsley, taught in his books. People were concerned that the McStays intentionally wanted to disappear and perhaps they had gone into hiding.

The Facebook post, below, is from a very close friend of Mike McStay. He is offering information about John Pugsley.

[​IMG]

Freebird and Cousin Dupree like this.
  6. TX SMR

TX SMR Posting my personal opinions

Ah yes Tracey Riccobene, the strung out prostitute drug addict. No wonder the DT isn't calling her as a witness.

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  7. TX SMR

This site allows unsubstantiated Facebook posts with nothing to support it? Good to know...

8. TX SMR

The DT presented a laundry list of "evidence" they said they would be presenting at trial but they've failed miserably. If they could actually PROVE any of it why haven't they? Anyone can talk out the side of their mouth but supporting their assertion is a whole different story. The DT uttering the unsupported allegations simply proves they have NOTHING and are hoping something will stick after throwing it out there. The DT is looking pathetic and their strategy is laughable.

9. TX SMR

I'll respond to your post one assertion at a time:
    1) I've been closely following the case since the day the family disappeared and have been watching the. Have you watched any of the trial?
    2) The DT presented an alternative accounting method to try and explain Merritt's thievery but it makes no sense. There's no way Joey would give a two-time convicted felon carte blanche access to his money when Merritt had a history of being flat ass broke. How can one explain the sudden windfall of funds Merritt had after Joey disappeared when just before that Merritt was broke to the point he couldn't have a checking account due to too many NSF checks? Do you remember Merritt telling the detective that if Joey wasn't found he didn't know how he was going to pay his rent at the end of the month?
    3) Merritt has a history of violence against his own children as well as others. It's been reported that he actually swung around a cat by its tail until the tail fell off! That, my friends, is the making of a serious sociopath;
    4) There was zero evidence of Summer being raped. There was some speculation but no concrete evidence;
    5) Cell phone pings place Merritt at the grave site, not DK.

If Kavanaugh killed the family shouldn't there be some evidence pointing to him rather than everything pointing to Merritt? Kavanaugh is just an easy scapegoat for the DT but even they know their case is unsubstantiated and weak which is why they continue to use their stall tactics.

10. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

There's been unsubstantiated FB posts about this case for years. Squashing them at this point is futile.

I'd never heard about Merritt and the cat before. If that was substantiated, as a juror I would like to have that information. As I've said before, with the evidence given at trial, I'm afraid in two ways; that a killer may be set free and that a free man may be convicted. It's not an open and shut case, IMO, no matter what side of the fence you're on. And that bothers me a great deal.

11. TX SMR

Would you feel differently if Kavanaugh was taken completely out of the equation?

Cousin Dupree, Kimster and kdg411 like this.
  12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

The Facebook post wasn't unsubstantiated. I just chose not to post the url.

Freebird likes this.
  13. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Oooo! Interesting question! I'm thinking it through. I haven't followed this case closely like you have, but I did go into the trial believing strongly that LE had their killer. What changed me wasn't Kavanaugh, since I believed he was in Hawaii the whole time, but the transfer DNA evidence and his sister's testimony. Sure, she could have been lying, but she could just as easily been telling the truth. Before seeing her on the stand, I thought she was one of the nails in the coffin against CM. Also, LE saying the crime happened in the house is a factor for me, since I don't believe it happened there. There should have been some blood evidence. And bringing in the spots on the photograph of a table seemed to me like they were really stretching it.

At this point, I'd have to say that honestly, the money CM took so quickly and then backdating those checks is the most damning evidence against him, in my mind. I've known more than one person with a gambling addiction and they weren't murderers, but if Joseph was indeed cutting CM out of his life, CM could have become enraged.

Thinking about this all at once makes me really glad I'm not on that jury! What a difficult decision they need to make.

14. TX SMR

Most forums don't allow FB posts because they are typically just unsubstantiated rumors and/or gossip, similar to the comment you posted.

15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I can very easily remove the redacted section and post the url. I do believe it might be embarrassing for someone, though.

Cousin Dupree and Freebird like this.
  16. Freebird

Freebird Well-Known Member

Well this forum allows for more free speech and leaves it up to each member to decide fact from fiction.

17. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I have decided to include the url.

[​IMG]

People v. Merritt: The McStay Murders Trial (Find The McStay Family)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/324645994165/

Cousin Dupree and Freebird like this.
  18. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

I watched everyday until they went audio only.The stories of Merritt hitting his kids and swinging a cat I've never heard before. I kept up by those here that listened and watched and their ideas about it. Tweets from the trial too. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

TX SMR and Akoya like this.
  19. TX SMR

I don't know why you think posting the url would be embarrassing but ok. I don't follow any FB groups about this case because I've found that the comments are mostly personal opinions, rumors and gossip.

kdg411 and Cousin Dupree like this.
  20. TX SMR

If you're basing any of your opinion on other people's ideas your doing yourself a tremendous disservice. Yes, we will have to agree to disagree.