1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MCSTAY MURDERS: The State of California v. Charles Merritt *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by MartinBeck, May 19, 2015.

1. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

I'm still not convinced either way of who did it, but not buying it that the prosecution both believes that they were killed by a sledgehammer AND it was committed at the house yet no blood??? Nah.

Kimster, Freebird and Cousin Dupree like this.
  2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Administrative Manager Staff Member

Personally, I would not feel differently if Kavanaugh were out of the equation. In fact, I first started having doubts about the guilt of Merritt after the trial started and the pieces weren't coming together. Having said that, it's clear that Kavanaugh benefitted financially a lot more than Merritt after the death of Joey. I mean, WTH? He's in Hawaii and immediately starts the funny stuff with the PayPal account? Other than family, Merritt had the most to lose from Joey's death.

kdg411, Freebird, Akoya and 1 other person like this.
  3. SoSueMe

I agree that the defense should have gone ahead and served Kavanaugh to testify. They started looking for him in February, but haven't found him. The excuse that the prosecution was going to call him is pretty lame. You never count on that in a trial. You just don't.

kdg411, Freebird, Akoya and 2 others like this.
  4. SoSueMe

TX SMR, I'm glad to have someone here that thinks Merritt is guilty because I need to be convinced. I started watching the trial thinking surely Merritt was guilty, but so far I have my doubts. I agree with you in that he won't be acquitted, but there's a good possibility it will be a hung jury.

I don't think the prosecution should have locked themselves into their theory of what happened. First, that they were killed on the evening of the 4th and second, that they were killed at the house. I absolutely don't think they were killed at the house. Then they contend that Merritt stuffed all 4 bodies into his truck and rode around for 2 days with 4 dead bodies? Or that he transferred them to a storage room until he decided to bury them in the high desert? Seems awfully ambitious for Mr. Merritt. I think he's too lazy for all of this transferring of bodies. Then the prosecution contends that Merritt was smart enough to turn his phone off during the slaughter at the Fallbrook house, but too dumb to turn it off when he actually buried the bodies, pinpointing a location? Also, if Merritt's plan was to make it look like the McStays went into Mexico, why was he so adamant to detectives that Joseph would NEVER, EVER take his family to Mexico? Seems like he would roll with that theory.

I don't know, I just have my doubts that they have the right guy. If they do, then hang him, but right now I'm not convinced.

kdg411, Freebird, Akoya and 2 others like this.
  5. SoSueMe

I just wonder if Merritt will testify. Any thoughts? If my life were on the line, I'd sure testify.

The court really isn't allowing time for Merritt to testify, telling the jury when to expect closing arguments, so it doesn't look like he will.

kdg411, Freebird, Akoya and 1 other person like this.
  6. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

I've thought about that a lot. I'm not a good face to face communicator. Often times people misinterpret what I say. So I don't think I'd take the stand, unless it's really looking bad for me.

SoSueMe, kdg411, Akoya and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

We're more picky if it's a new case and somebody were to try and start a crazy rumor here. But in a case that's almost 10 years old and people have said all these things before, it is up to you to decide what you think could be a scenario and what couldn't.

8. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I don't think so because they say they're about to wrap things up. I think that if Merritt were to testify, that would add another week or two to the trial. The case is too complicated for him to be up there just a couple of days.

9. TX SMR

TX SMR Posting my personal opinions

You make some valid points but how do you explain away the check writing, cashing and forging? How do you explain away CM calling QB pretending to be Joey? How do you explain him constantly being broke but after the murders he had money?

If CM would have gone along with the family going in to Mexico it would've stood out because nobody else thought it was them. I think he went along with what the others thought to avoid casting suspicion on himself.

Him turning his phone off and on could've been an oversight or he figured he could explain away why his phone pinged in certain locations.

I don't think the murders were only about the money. I think CM was also trying to keep himself out of prison once again.

10. TX SMR

I think if CM had his way he would testify because he's very conniving and thinks he's the smartest man in the room. I'm sure his DT told him absolutely not! If you testify you are sure to hang yourself.

kdg411 likes this.
  11. Cousin Dupree

Why do you think he believes he's the smartest man in the room?

Akoya likes this.
  12. TX SMR

He's very arrogant and manipulative. Him wanting to represent himself in the beginning speaks volumes about him and his ego.

13. Cousin Dupree

I think it was @SoSueMe who pointed out the reasoning for that. He was probably given a crappy defense team that could care less about the case, so he said he wanted to represent himself. He knew that if he changed his mind again he'd get a different defense team. It appears to have paid off because this defense team is doing a good job, IMO.

SoSueMe, kdg411 and Akoya like this.
  14. Cousin Dupree

No, I'm not. Most of the people who post here I've known for a lot longer than this site has existed. I know that when they express their opinion where it's coming from. I don't always agree, but I listen. I've also read the tweets coming out of the trial by reporters that are posted here. Sometimes watching this trial has been a big problem.

15. TX SMR

He opted to represent himself before the assignment of a public defender. He was actually quite smart (conniving & manipulative) in doing so because he was able to see what evidence law enforcement had compiled.

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  16. Cousin Dupree

BBM

There is no concrete proof that Merritt did it. It's a circumstantial case. There is circumstantial evidence that leads the PD to believe she was raped. Do you think there isn't enough circumstantial evidence to believe she was raped?

Freebird and Akoya like this.
  17. Cousin Dupree

Well, he is smart then, if that's true.

18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

SoSueMe likes this.
  19. Freebird

Freebird Well-Known Member

He is very smart. Ponce even said so. In representing himself and reviewing all the evidence I sense he knew the state had a very weak case. He then went with two good defense attorneys, Maline and McGee, who after looking at the evidence, agreed. They concluded their client was innocent and the case was full of confirmation bias. They only looked in one direction.

Maline and McGee were both involved with the Colony Case with the same judge. We know how that ended. Acquittal for all involved.

20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Freebird likes this.