1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MCSTAY MURDERS: The State of California v. Charles Merritt *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by MartinBeck, May 19, 2015.

1. WinnieChurchill

WinnieChurchill Well-Known Member

I have confidence in both Maline and McGee. This arrest took place without a thorough investigation. Just like the Colonies trial, the timing was political.

Bushwack Jack, Kimster, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  2. TX SMR

TX SMR Posting my personal opinions

It's up to CM's attorneys to get one or both on the stand. How would them failing to do so warrant a mistrial?

kdg411 likes this.
  3. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

Thank you for joining the conversation!

:welcome:

4. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

Welcome!! Love new members!

kdg411, Freebird and WinnieChurchill like this.
  5. WinnieChurchill

WinnieChurchill Well-Known Member

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to the testimony from Dr. Rudin. The Prosecution has failed to find any DNA connecting Chase to the gravesite or bodies of the family. If Dr. Rudin is able to exclude Chase's truck, or identify a different truck, from the Mitchley video of 2/4/10 that would create further reasonable doubt.

6. Freebird

Freebird Well-Known Member

The prosecution was calling Rudin and then changed their minds. Rudin must have interpreted the Mitchley video in a way that doesn’t help them. My guess is he will raise doubt or exclude Chase’s truck.

What about the green Dodge Ram? There has to be a reason Maline brought it up last week. Perhaps laying the foundation for Rudin.

7. Freebird

Attached Files:

8. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

Can you enlighten me about this green truck's significance? I must have missed that somewhere.

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  9. Freebird

It was brought up at trial last week. Maline was questioning the detective who helped excavate the graves. He asks him about the red straps found in the grave. They look like they are very similar to red straps found on the floor of the green Ram parked on the McStay driveway. Maline goes on to question him about the lack of forensics done on that truck. The detective is shown a picture of the green truck. The tailpipe is on the passenger side.

For full detailed information watch the testimony here starting at the 50:00 mark.

Some screen shots from video. 2nd photo - straps in grave. 3rd photo - straps found in Ram

Significance - possibility of green truck in Mitchley video or will be used to raise doubt, imo

Attached Files:

10. TX SMR

I don't think the straps mean anything in terms of a win for the DT. It's entirely possible CM gave the straps to the McStays to use when they moved, CM got the straps from the garage when he moved the bodies or it could mean nothing. I wouldn't read too much in to the straps being in the Dodge.

SoSueMe, kdg411 and Cousin Dupree like this.
  11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

12. Freebird

IMO, the straps in the Dodge Ram sure look like a match to the straps found in the graves. Only difference is the straps found in the graves are faded and dirty, as expected being the situation. The ones in the truck look new.

13. TX SMR

They might be exactly like the tie downs found at the burial site but I guess I'm missing your point.

14. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I don't have anything to add tonight but I wanted to say I'm really glad to have this discussion with so many different points of view. I'm learning a lot more about the case.

:grouphug:

And :welcome: to our new members!

15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Testimony from Tracey Riccobene could influence that decision. She needs to be heard.

[​IMG]

16. Freebird

Has she disappeared like Kavanaugh?

17. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

No, she is still available. At one point, she requested protection because she is terrified of Kavanaugh. She felt it was her duty to come forward with the information she has. I know that some people have chosen to refer to her as a prostitute and drug addict. I really can't verify those accusations one way or the other. I do respect that she is trying to do the right thing by presenting her information. Even if she has worked in prostitution, it doesn't mean that her information about Dan Kavanaugh isn't accurate. This is a murder trial and someone will probably spend the rest of their life in a prison. Tracey needs to be heard by the jury and Chase Merritt needs to have Tracey's information shared in order to guarantee the fair trial he is entitled to. Not allowing testimony from Tracey and Dan Kavanaugh would be the equivalent of suppressing evidence. This isn't traffic court.

18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Dodge truck
    Cornelius and cuttingthebs.wordpress.com

[​IMG]

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  19. Bushwack Jack

Bushwack Jack Well-Known Member

Welcome Winnie, as you can see I'm also new to this site. I'm looking forward to a frank and open discussion without the bias and censorship certain forums have incorporated in order to achieve their desired narrative.

nak2thenik, SoSueMe, kdg411 and 2 others like this.
  20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://sbcsentinel.com/2019/05/defense-attorney-grills-sheriffs-investigator/

Defense Attorney Grills Sheriff’s Investigator
    Posted on May 17, 2019 by Venturi

[​IMG]

Maline displayed on the courtroom’s overhead monitors two photos of the red strap that was extracted from the grave in which Joseph McStay Sr. and Joseph McStay, Jr. were buried.
    Bachman essentially identified the strap as what he had seen during the excavation of the graves in November 2013. “It looks consistent with the tie strap that was wrapped around Mr. McStay’s body.” Bachman said.
    Showing variant photos of the strap, what have been designated during the trial as exhibits 341and 342, Maline focused on the unique black stitching the strap featured.
    Maline then had Bachman acknowledge that among his investigative functions was to retrieve the evidence compiled by the San Diego Sheriff’s Department during its investigation of the case in 2010 when that agency was looking into the family’s disappearance. Maline then displayed on the courtroom’s viewing monitors a photograph taken of the inside of the McStay family’s green Dodge pickup truck. “Do you notice what’s behind the driver’s seat?” Maline asked.
    “It looks like an orange tie-down,” Bachman said.
    “Does it look similar to the tie-down that we saw in exhibit 341 and 342?” Maline asked.
    “It looks similar,” Bachman said.
    “Was that something your homicide detail discussed, that the tie-down found in the grave could have come from the green Dodge truck?” Maline asked.
    “It may have been discussed, sir,” Bachman said. “I’m sure you could go to a variety of different construction worker’s trucks or different people who go to, I’m sure, Harbor Freight and Home Depot and find similar tie-downs. I can’t say that it wasn’t discussed.”
    Maline then had a photo featuring a passenger side view of the McStay family’s Dodge pick-up displayed on the courtroom’s display monitors.
    “This particular Dodge truck does not have running lights underneath the headlights, correct? Maline asked.
    “Correct,” Bachman acknowledged.
    “And this truck has a rear light where the rear portion of the bed of the truck is, correct?” Maline asked.
    “I couldn’t tell you, sir,” Bachman said.
    The nature and appearance of the headlights and the running lights on the Dodge truck as well as the positioning of the taillights and their distance from the ground were of moment because those features on the Dodge are a rough match, at least, to the vehicle seen on the Mitchley security video. Conversely, Merritt’s truck featured running lights that were located below and distinct from the headlights and it had taillights that were at a height of 60 inches, well above what appears to be a taillight on the vehicle seen in the Mitchley video. In his question to Bachman, Maline was angling at illustrating for the jury that the McStay family’s Dodge truck was a potential match to the vehicle seen on the Mitchley security video, while Merritt’s truck was not, which controverts a significant element of the homicide investigators’ conclusion and the prosecution’s theory placing Merritt’s truck, and thus Merritt, at the mcStay home on the night the prosecution contends the murders took place.
    “Were you involved or did you review the process of the green Dodge truck?” Maline asked.
    “I was not involved in the processing of the truck,” Bachman said. “I don’t know if I necessarily read – I think it was Detective [Armando] Avila who did the processing of the truck.”
    “Well, there was actually two processings of the truck,” Maline said. There was one in May of 2014 by Detective Avila, correct?”
    “I don’t know exactly when it was conducted, but I believe he did the initial one,” Bachman said.
    “There was another one conducted by Sergeant [Ryan] Smith,” Maline said.
    “Likely,” Bachman said.
    “Do you know how long those tie-downs were in the Dodge truck?” Maline asked.
    “No, I don’t,” Bachman said.
    “Did you ever use a FARO scan to measure the Dodge truck?” Maline asked.
    A FARO scan is a three dimensional imaging of an object.
    “I don’t believe that I did,” Bachman said. “I don’t recall doing one. I’m not so sure Sergeant Smith didn’t.”
    “Do you know if one was done at all by anyone?” Maline asked.
    “Offhand, I don’t know, sir,” Bachman said.
    “Do you know if any work was done to compare the Dodge truck to vehicle seen on the Mitchley video?” Maline asked.
    “I personally did not,” Bachman said.
    “Were you involved in any discussions wherein your homicide detail talked about comparing the Dodge truck to the Mitchley video?” Maline asked.
    “I think we probably would have talked about it, but I don’t believe that it seemed similar to it,” Bachman said.
    “Do you know what side the muffler is on the Dodge truck?” Maline asked.
    “Looking at the picture right here, it’s on the passenger side,” Bachman said.

[​IMG]