1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MCSTAY MURDERS: The State of California v. Charles Merritt *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by MartinBeck, May 19, 2015.

1. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

So has the prosecution.

Freebird, Akoya, kdg411 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bushwack Jack

Bushwack Jack Well-Known Member

You're correct the PT's ability to assume something correctly is essentially nonexistent, perhaps, this is one of the reasons why they're losing this trial.

3. Cousin Dupree

I served on a jury many years ago and I had internet at the time. We were instructed to not talk about the case with anyone or do any independent research. I know I didn't and if anyone else on the jury did they never brought it up. My mother called me to ask about the trial while it was still going on. I refused to talk about it until the trial was over. I'd imagine most people do what they're told.

The case I was a juror on was not a national case and even one I'd never heard of before going to court. So avoiding anything about it was very easy. It only lasted a week too. I'd imagine escaping anything about this trial would be hard, but not impossible. If I was watching the news and they started talking about the trial I'd change the channel.

Freebird, SoSueMe, Akoya and 4 others like this.
  4. Bushwack Jack

I agree, they've gone all in and if they lose this one they've sabotaged any and all future prosecutions.

Freebird, Akoya and Cousin Dupree like this.
  5. Cousin Dupree

We'll see if they do indeed lose this trial, I hope so. I wouldn't bet money on it though.

Akoya, kdg411 and Bushwack Jack like this.
  6. Cousin Dupree

Kavanaugh will have gotten away with murder.

7. Bushwack Jack

In most cases I agree but, as we all know this one has all the elements required to arouse your curiosity, even a juror's.

Freebird, Akoya and Cousin Dupree like this.
  8. Bushwack Jack

My money's on a mistrial with acquittal and conviction tied for a distant 2nd. I also believe that the PT will consider a mistrial a loss.

Freebird, SoSueMe, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  9. Cousin Dupree

I had a friend who is a web designer and he's never thought of himself as part of the business. It's his job to do what he does and get paid. He has no ownership in the business. He's an independent contractor. I've worked jobs where the IT guy didn't have any stake in the business unless it was stock they purchased themselves. Kavanaugh seems to have delusions of grandeur.

Freebird, SoSueMe, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  10. Cousin Dupree

I'm not sure they'd try him again if it's a mistrial. By then the defenses investigation of Kavanaugh would be much better and they'd probably be able to subpoena him in order to get his version on record. @SoSueMe can tell us how a witness gets subpoenaed before a trial date is set.

Freebird, Akoya, kdg411 and 1 other person like this.
  11. TX SMR

TX SMR Posting my personal opinions

I believe that's how most jurors would handle their duties. Why sign up as a juror on a quadruple murder trial and not take your civic duties seriously?

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  12. TX SMR

I guess if you have no real answer to the question the easiest route is to deflect with more unsubstantiated nonsense?

13. TX SMR

Unfortunately we have no idea what the agreement was between them. Obviously there was some type of an agreement other wise Joey wouldn't have been "buying out" DK.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  14. TX SMR

They would subpoena him the same way they can now. Find a competent process server, locate him and hand him the subpoena. However, in the case of a mistrial we'd have to wait and see if the state would proceed with the charges against CM. I don't think they'd let a killer like him walk free so I'm sure they'd retry him and there's no guarantee CM would have the same set of attorneys and/or expert witnesses the second time around. Perhaps at that point he might start asking for a plea deal.

15. Cousin Dupree

He has no reason to ask for a plea deal. I wouldn't.

Akoya and WinnieChurchill like this.
  16. TX SMR

What exactly is a mistrial with acquittal?

17. TX SMR

If he doesn't have the same DT and expert witnesses he might not feel as confident in his case. Not all attorneys will play dirty the way his current DT has.

18. Cousin Dupree

He means mistrial is his best bet, and then acquittal and conviction are a distant second.

Akoya, TX SMR and WinnieChurchill like this.
  19. Cousin Dupree

I don't think the DT has been playing dirty.

Freebird, Akoya and WinnieChurchill like this.
  20. WinnieChurchill

WinnieChurchill Well-Known Member

I agree that Kavanaugh will never be charged by the SDSD or SBSD for any crimes in conjunction with the McStay family. WTH... SDSD had him helping with the data on Joey's computer, in their offices, following the disappearance. My only hope is that the FBI might go after him. Tracey took her case to them, that opened the door for them to investigate him. He was accused of fraud relative to unfulfilled orders on the EIP website. That leaves an opening for Federal (and possibly International) mail fraud.

Freebird, kdg411, SoSueMe and 2 others like this.