1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MCSTAY MURDERS: The State of California v. Charles Merritt *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by MartinBeck, May 19, 2015.

1. TX SMR

TX SMR Posting my personal opinions

BBM
    Do you have anything to support this? I haven't heard this before now.

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  2. TX SMR

Why wouldn't law enforcement, including the FBI, have gone after DK before now if they thought he committed any crimes? Surely they would do so before the statute of limitations runs out.

3. WinnieChurchill

WinnieChurchill Well-Known Member

If I were a gambler, which I'm not, my money would be: 1) Mistrial, followed by no retrial 2) Hung jury, followed by no retrial 3) Acquittal, followed by lawsuit 4) Conviction, followed by successful appeal. I don't blame the Prosecution or Defense for the flaws in this trial. The blame should fall squarely on law enforcement in both jurisdictions. Too many mistakes were made, right from the beginning. From the beginning neither the (potential) crime scene or the (supposed) grave site were not secured. That fact alone will provide a basis for appeal and the list only gets longer.

Shannon, Freebird, kdg411 and 4 others like this.
  4. TX SMR

BBM
    Lawsuit for what and on what grounds?
    How did you determine the burial site in the desert wasn't secured?
    As for the Fallbrook home, law enforcement had their hands tied. They had no concrete evidence a crime had been committed. Once they conducted interviews and determined it was more likely than not foul play was involved they were able to secure desperately needed search warrants as well as secure the scene.

5. Bushwack Jack

Bushwack Jack Well-Known Member

It seems to have satisfied the other members here, but, just like the other places you frequent, you think you're special, well, this site doesn't appear to be designed for individuals with special needs. So, I suggest you hightail it back to Jonestown, and don't forget to make another payment.

Freebird, WinnieChurchill and Akoya like this.
  6. WinnieChurchill

Lawsuit - wrongful prosecution would be a good start, if there is an acquittal
    Grave - Mike McStay visited the burial site, unaccompanied by LE, and examined the vehicle tracks and general area. - He later contacted LE with information he thought might be helpful
    Fallbrook house - DuGal visited the home with other detectives on the 13th. They did not secure the home and within several days Mike had removed at least one computer and family had removed and/or otherwise contaminated the potential crime scene.

7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

And, pickup a few cutting boards along the way.

8. WinnieChurchill

Why would they do that and be forced to develop all of their evidence. The Prosecution and/or Defense have discovered and researched many questionable activities during the course of this investigation and trial.

9. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

The PD seems to have been myopic about Merritt.

Freebird and WinnieChurchill like this.
  10. TX SMR

Wow, you really have no class do you? I have no idea why I would make payments to anyone, especially some place you refer to as Jonestown.

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Administrative Manager Staff Member

Okay let’s calm it down please. All opinions are welcome here.

nak2thenik, Kimster, kdg411 and 3 others like this.
  12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

There is no statute of limitations for murder.

13. SoSueMe

I thought he handled himself very well with the interrogations. He’s either very good or innocent. I wish I knew which.

Kimster, Freebird, kdg411 and 4 others like this.
  14. TX SMR

You might want to brush up on the legalities surrounding "wrongful prosecution". Lol
    When Mr. McStay went to the burial site it was no longer a crime scene.
    Fallbrook house: refer back to my original comment about being able to get warrants, etc. We can go round and round about a POTENTIAL crime scene but what's the use?

15. TX SMR

I wasn't referring to murder.

16. TX SMR

According to you there's already enough evidence to charge DK with something. What are they waiting for? Obviously if they thought he could be charged they would've done so by now.

17. TX SMR

What does that even mean?

18. SoSueMe

I do wish Merritt would take the stand to explain the QB activity. I think it’s pretty clear these guys were “learning” how to run a business. It’s obvious they were flying by the seat of their pants when it came to business practices. As for the checks that Merritt wrote, the amounts didn’t seem out of line to me. There was so much more money he could have gotten if that was his goal. As for calling QB and pretending to be Joey, it’s done all the time with office personnel that are authorized or have the passwords. I did it all the time for my husband and our business. My husband certainly wasn’t going to sit on hold with these businesses.

Merritt supposedly told his wife/girlfriend Joey gave him 3 checks on the 4th. There was some reason as to why they had to meet in person. Perhaps this was the reason. The PT says it was to fire Merritt. That could also be but when you fire someone you’re pretty much done and Joey kept calling Merritt after leaving the meeting.

Also, there is the text or email from Joey to Merritt around New Year’s saying he was looking forward to a prosperous year or whatever. It doesn’t sound to me like he was wanting to get rid of Merritt as some have stated. Which brings me to another point which is, I don’t think Merritt would have jeopardized the Saudi job that was going to make them tons of money.

19. TX SMR

The only opinions welcome here are the ones who think DK is the killer and CM was just an easy target. I have tried to be very polite and respectful in my posts and in return I'm referred to as having special needs. Making a reference about special needs like it's a bad thing is immature, disgusting and shows the true character of a person.

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  20. TX SMR

CM didn't have the correct access information for QB and there's a HUGE difference in giving your spouse access versus a 2 time felon with a gambling addiction. Is it just a coincidence that the alternative accounting began at the same time the family went missing? Not likely.
    How do you explain CM being flat ass broke and then he suddenly has money after the family disappeared? Why did he forge Joey's signature if it was on the up and up?

Kimster likes this.