1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MCSTAY MURDERS: The State of California v. Charles Merritt *IN PROGRESS*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by MartinBeck, May 19, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

kdg411 and Cousin Dupree like this.
  2. Kimster

3. Kimster

Rob McMillan‏Verified account@abc7robmcmillan 7m7 minutes ago
    The defense is questioning the expert on "confirmation bias," in other words, the more information you get on something, the more likely you are to have bias to confirm what you already think. The expert agrees with this assertation.

The defense is now asking about the measurements the expert made on the 3D model. The expert says if they are only a "couple of inches" off, he wouldn't be worried be concerned about his conclusions.

Note: before the jury was allowed into the courtroom today, one of the defense attorneys argued about prosecutorial misconduct. There was a testy exchange between the attorneys. It is clear those feelings are still there, as they argue over objections right now.

The defense is continuing to question the 3D expert on confirmation bias, in trying to make the suspect truck match the truck in the video. Expert: "I understand that cognitive bias exists. I do my best to avoid it."

Cousin Dupree likes this.
  4. Kimster

Because so much of the other evidence has been questionable, I think the prosecution really wants to hang their hat on this evidence. I have to wonder why, if it's so important, they didn't do these tests prior to a month ago? :thinking:

Juanita really shook them. Sounds like they wanted to end with her damning testimony, but it didn't work out at all.

5. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

I thought the prosecution already rested.

kdg411 and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed like this.
  6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

They did. But apparently they can "reopen" it because they had one more witness.

I wonder if this was the reason the break was so long. For this one witness.

Kimster, SoSueMe and Cousin Dupree like this.
  7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Administrative Manager Staff Member

I still think these lights are a red herring and I don’t understand why the prosecution is hanging their hat on it. Timeline and phone calls do not coincide with it unless I’ve missed something.

8. SoSueMe

Great. Just great. I have company all week and won’t be able to catch up with the audio until the weekend.

9. Kimster

I have to wonder if the defense is going to bring up all other kinds of vehicles that have the same kind of lighting. I wonder if they're able to have access to the software, if that's what they need to do.

I had meetings last night so I got behind again. Darn it.

10. Cousin Dupree

No couch surfers I hope.

11. Kimster

:rolleyes:

12. Kimster

Been busy today and have a function I'm attending tonight.

Here's a link to someone tweeting in the courtroom today. Merritt's daughter is on the stand.

Leticia Juarez‏@ABC7Leticia 2h2 hours ago
    "Has your dad asked you to lie for him?" - Maline Jarvis says no. Merritt told her to only recall what she remembers. Maline hands her a tissue.

kdg411 and Cousin Dupree like this.
  13. Cousin Dupree

The last three days have been FA signings for the NFL. I've been paying mostly attention to that. Since it's just audio now, could you link the new stuff please.

14. SoSueMe

Off Topic: No, my nephew on Spring Break who requires lots of attention.

I just wish they still had the video of this trial. Video makes it a lot easier to catch up and keep up.

kdg411, Kimster and Cousin Dupree like this.
  15. Kimster

I'll do my best! I've had a busy week so far. I'm behind myself.

16. Kimster

Cathy Russon‏@cathyrusson

[​IMG]

#McStay - Catherine Jarvis back on the stand. She was Charles Merritt's girlfriend/common law wife in 2010. Jarvis brought their young son to court today, he's in the gallery listening to a recorded call between his mom and dad that's being played. (screenshot ABC7 yesterday)

17. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Uhhh, is a murder trial really the best place for a "young" child? Wow.

18. Kimster

Especially when the young child's dad is on trial for murder.

19. Cousin Dupree

It's better than letting them learn about it on the street. :thinking:

Kimster likes this.
  20. Kimster

They didn't say how young the youth was, so I'm not going to start agreeing or disagreeing until I know more information.