1. WISCONSIN: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 13-year-old Jayme Closs, who was determined to be missing after her parents were found murdered in Barron, WI.
    There is currently no suspect or vehicle information, but Jayme's life is believed to be in extreme danger.
    Click HERE for more information

Dismiss Notice
  2. OCTOBER IS DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH
    Domestic Violence Awareness Month evolved from the “Day of Unity” held in October 1981
    and conceived by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
    Click Here for Resources
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  5. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CA MICHAELA GARECHT: Missing from Hayward, CA - 19 Nov 1988 - Age 9

Discussion in 'Missing 1980 to 1989' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Aug 14, 2015.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Michaela Garecht was abducted from a parking lot in Hayward, California on November 19, 1988.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Michaela Garecht, 9, was last seen with a friend as they rode their scooters to a store in Hayward, California on November 19, 1988. When they left the store, Michaela's friend's scooter had been moved. When Michaela went to retrieve it, an unknown Caucasian male grabbed her and forced her into his vehicle. She has never been seen again.

The abductor was between 18-22 at the time of the abduction. He drove a large, older model, American made sedan, cream, gold, or tan in color. Several suspects are possible, but none have been officially linked to the abduction.

[​IMG]

NCMEC - http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/717172/1

NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/49/0/

Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/garecht_michaela.html

Facebook - Michaela Joy Garecht, Still Missing - https://www.facebook.com/MichaelaJoyGarecht

FBI - https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/michaela-joy-garecht/view

The FBI is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the abductor of Michaela Garecht.

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/michaela-garecht-missing-from-california.678/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
    Scorpio, spike and Kimster like this.
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Michaela Garecht Remembered 25 Years After Abduction
    November 20, 2013

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013, a ceremony was held for Michaela Garecht. Family, friends, police officers, and supporters gathered in the parking lot of a grocery store in Hayward, California to remember a young child who was kidnapped twenty-five years ago.

Nine-year-old Garecht and her friend, K.R., went to a nearby store, located a few blocks away from their homes. They parked their scooters outside and purchased soda, beef jerky, and Laffy Taffy, and as they went outside, they discovered that one scooter was missing. They split up in an attempt to find the scooter, and when Rodriguez looked up after hearing a scream, she noticed a man placing Garecht in a car. Garecht has not been seen since.

http://www.webpronews.com/michaela-garecht-remembered-25-years-after-abduction-2013-11

Scorpio and spike like this.
  3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Dear Michaela

by Sharon Nemeth Murch, dedicated with love to my missing daughter, Michaela Joy Garecht. Michaela was kidnapped on November 19, 1988, at the age of nine. I will never stop looking for her. I will never stop loving her.

http://www.dearmichaela.com/

Scorpio, spike, Oriah and 2 others like this.
  4. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

michealaphoto.jpg

spike likes this.
  6. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

michealabductor.jpg
    On November 18, 1988, Michaela's kidnapper was described as a man in his 20's, with long, dirty-blonde hair. His most outstanding characteristic was severe acne, like boils.He was driving an older, tannish-gold, full-size sedan, boxy in shape, with body damage. We do not know the make or model.

http://www.dearmichaela.com/p/the-kidnapper.html

spike likes this.
  7. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

michealamexicosupper.png

Michaela and her friend left home at 10:00 pm on November 19, 1988 and rode their scooters to the Rainbow Market, (now called the Mexico Super) After leaving the market Michaela realized her scooter was not where she had left it. It had been moved farther down in the parking lot, next to a parked car. Michaela bent down to pick the scooter up, and an unidentified white male jumped out of the parked car, picked her up and threw her into the back of his car. Michaela's friend ran back into the market and informed the clerk her friend had just been kidnapped.

The abductor is a white male in his 20's in 1988. He is described as having to have severe acne with boils and pock mark scars on his face. He had shoulder length, dirty blonde hair. He may have his hair in a ponytail at the time. He was around 6 feet 0 inches (1.83 m) in height and having a slender build. The witness described him as having fox-like eyes.

Several ribbons are tied to the tree next to where the kidnapper's car was parked in honor of Michaela.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Kimster, spike and Akoya like this.
  8. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

http://crimefeed.com/2017/05/national-missing-childrens-day-where-is-michaela-joy-garecht/
    National Missing Children’s Day: Where Is Michaela Garecht?

After the girls purchased candy and exited the shop, Michaela noticed that one of their scooters had been moved into the store’s parking lot. When Michaela walked over to the scooter, an adult white male with long, dirty blond hair grabbed her, forced her into his vehicle, and sped off. No one who loves Michaela has seen her since. Based on descriptions from the friend who witnessed the abduction, several suspects have come under scrutiny for the crime, but none have thus far been arrested.

Police also looked hard at the so-called “Speed Freak Killers,” Wesley Shermantine and Loren Herzog, a pair of meth-addicted serial murderers who targeted young girls in the area where the Garechts lived. Alas, the exhumation of a mass grave into which the Speed Freak Killers dumped their victims turned up no trace of Michaela.

Sharon Murch, Michaela’s mother, has stated it’s possible that her daughter fell prey to a human-trafficking ring and was taken out of the United States. Throughout the years, possible sightings of Michaela have been reported in Mexico and the United Arab Emirates. Now, even though nearly three decades have passed, Michaela’s family still searches and maintains hope that one day they will all be reunited. Every November 19, Michaela’s family, friends, and loved ones gather outside the market from which she was taken to honor her memory and to keep the search for answers active and alive. They tie yellow ribbons around a tree in a hugely emotional demonstration of both sorrow and hope.

Akoya, Kimster, spike and 1 other person like this.
  9. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I'll bet they looked at the Speed Freak Killers because back in the 80s, my sister knew this guy that had boils on his face and it was from shooting meth. I did not like that she had befriended him. She felt sorry for him. But nothing bad happened to her, so that's good.

The thought of her innocently going to pick up her scooter just breaks my heart. I hope her friend is doing well today. That had to have been difficult to live with.

Akoya, Jay and spike like this.
  10. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

:eek: OMG, your sister is so lucky. These monsters were called the Speed Freak Killers for a reason.

I read some of Michaelas mother's blog, I don't think they ruled out Loren Herzog completely. However, she doesn't believe he was responsible. I don't either, after all little girls weren't exactly his MO. He definitely does look like the sketch, but apparently so does a lot of people.

spike, Akoya and Kimster like this.
  11. Kimster

No, she didn't know one of the killers! She knew a guy who shot speed. Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

spike, Akoya and Scorpio like this.
  12. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

Oh, okay. I thought you meant she knew Loren. I've seen people who are or have been addicted to meth, that drug ravages your face and they pick their skin raw because they think there are bugs crawling underneath their skin. I wonder if Michaelas abductor was a drug user or if he just had severe acne which sometimes continues into adulthood.

spike, Kimster and Akoya like this.
  13. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Michaela has been missing for 29 years today. I don't know why they haven't been able to trace her abductor.

14. Kimster

I'm going to get that sketch of her abductor on the media so we can tweet it. Hopefully I'll be able to do that tomorrow.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed and Scorpio like this.
  15. kdg411

kdg411 Well-Known Member