1. BREAKING NEWS IN THE BEAR BROOK MURDERS CASE!
    Three of the Jane Does have been IDENTIFIED!

CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
  2. A GUILTY verdict has been reached in the McSTAY murder trial!
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. No Parole for Cop Killers is an ODMP program that makes it easy for you to urge parole boards to deny parole to convicted cop killers.
    In less than one minute, generate and mail a letter to parole boards with scheduled hearings for convicted cop killers.
    You can also subscribe to parole alerts.

http://www.odmp.org/noparole

Dismiss Notice
  4. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  6. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Nanette Krentel - Fire chief's wife found dead of gunshot wound after house fire

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Nagatha Christie, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Nagatha Christie

Nagatha Christie Well-Known Member

I bring Nanette's case to you because you guys are some of the most determined and caring people I have ever met. You guys don't give up. You ask questions, find answers, gather info and your pursuit of justice for people you never met is amazing. I have known many of you for almost a decade and you have always impressed and even taught me a few handy tricks.

Here are some helpful links along with my commentary to help pull it all together. Here is one article summarizing the case. It is headlined as
    "Answers scarce in shooting of St. Tammany fire chief's wife, blaze that destroyed home"
    http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...cle_eb1e0626-70c0-11e7-9c84-37564f135c4c.html

I come to you asking for your special attention and care for this case. You are very much needed in this case. It has not gotten much press and the coroner seem just as happy to dismiss it a potential suicide (yet he doesn't even say whether a gun was found by her or not).

Seriously? I'm sorry but why would a woman known for loving her animals would gather her pets (a dog and 2 cats), set the house on fire and shoot herself in the head leaving her beloved babies to die a horrific death That just sounds ludicrous to me. No one who loves a pet would purposely set their house on fire and ensure her pets died a very terrifying and painful death.

Her husband (Stephen Krentel) has not spoken out about the matter at all. Sources tell me that he had never been a faithful husband. He had not even been a good fire chief as his rise to the top and his time there was so fraught with issues that the fire dept had to hire a FULL TIME lawyer , employ him as a member of the FD, complete with a huge salary and benefits - just to deal with the cases and lawsuits Krentel created or was a part of.

Here is one of those lawsuits, just to show the kind of guy he was. He went after this man with a vengeance, lost the case, the FD had to payout and Krentel insisted that they have a gag order the outcome of the suit. He lost the case in state court and the FD agreed to a settlement to keep the case from going federal where they knew they would lose again. Krentel insisted on a gag order on the plaintiff's as part of the settlement.
    http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/louisiana/laedce/2:2011cv01421/146596/73/

Stephen doesn't seem much interested in Nanette's case. Not surprising, since my trusted sources have told me of many instances of infidelity on his part. He has not spoken out or done anything to answer any questions so Nanette's family (the Watson family) has gone to court and been able to get custody of her remains so they can hire an expert to do a 2nd autopsy. http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/08/stage_set_for_second_autopsy_o.html
    also http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/08/family_of_nanette_krentel_want.html

So are there any indications that she had problems with anyone or anyone disliked her? Well people overwhelmingly loved her and she was well known for being a really sweet person with a kind heart. I have found only one person that had an issue with her and he is a brother of Stephen Krentel. Whatever the issues between them were, it seems it may even to have gone so deep as her seeking a restraining order against him. I have criminal records of his many DUI's and other encounters with the law but can't find the proof of restraining order as they are not usually published like an arrest would be.

Thee sheriff's office has not officially dismissed it as a suicide but there doesn't seem to be much going on in the case. Few updates are available from them.

So what about the state fire Marshall's office? Well they have a track record of shoddy investigations, suppressing evidence, botching cases, etc. The Fire Marshall himself has a sketchy reputation and the whole office there is a mess. I believe the employee they assigned Nanette's case to is not even qualified or properly experienced/certified to handle a case like this. There are articles about this that i will try to find.

So you can see how very much you guys are needed to start a discussion on this, delve into it and make sure it doesn't stop until we finally get justice for Nanette. Nanette's family has also set up a FB page called Justice for Nanette that you can join to show support and to share info

noZme, GarAndMo49, Lily and 7 others like this.
  2. Nagatha Christie

Now Nanette's death has now been ruled a homicide.

The family has really been very determined in this case to fight to get Nanette's case the proper treatment as you can see by what has gone into their quest for justice. The involvement of the FACES lab is a great thing because they are HIGHLY respected and well known for their excellent work and dedication. I'd believe the FACES lab and their conclusions over a shoddy investigation from an unconcerned coroner and sheriff's office any day. You saw above why I was critical of each agency above when they were not going after this case with the intesnsity and determination that should have been there from day one.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...cle_0be1ff82-9891-11e7-83f7-27b5a8235613.html

noZme, GarAndMo49, Lily and 3 others like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Actually, I heard of Nanette's case before, so that's good news! Here's a link to the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/justice4nan

I'm headed out of town for a few days. I'll look into the details when I get back next week. First question is, did they get the second autopsy done?

noZme, Lily, spike and 2 others like this.
  4. Nagatha Christie

Hi Kimster,
    yes the 2nd autopsy was done and that person also called in a trusted and experienced person to do a 3rd autopsy to make sure that every spect was covered very thoroughly and to make sure nothing was missed. I think that is excellent. So now the coroner of the parish (county) has now ruled it as a homicide (instead of the "suicide' they were going for).

The sherriff's office will hold a press conference tomorrow to give their take on things. But you MUST know that Sheriff Smith is a very good friend of Stephen Krentel (Nanette's husband). This is not the first obvious homicide that has gone without justice in St Tammany (see the kaci breem case where she killed her husband and got off scot free). Sherriff needs to recuse himself and turn the case over to someone who has no ties to suspects and to an agency who in interested only in facts and justice.

I could not find the link last night but here is why the State Marshall's office was under scrutiny for their part in dealing with this case. Again, this agency has friendly ties to Krentel and a seeminly lack of interest in justice. https://louisianavoice.com/2017/07/...s-death-other-in-bogus-charges-against-nurse/. But now it seems the Marshall's office is on the side of the family because they know the heat is on them and they are incompetent at best and criminal at worst.

I am very interested in what Nanette's husband Stephen will say. Notice he has NOT been vocal about the case at all. Yet any other time he seeks the limelight. My original conclusions that he and/or his criminal brother "B" are involved in this still stands.

This is one of those cases where as twisted and ugly as it seems now is only the tip of the iceberg. There will be much more to come out about Stephen and his brother "B". Nanette was so lovely and sweet, that is what everyone says. (As a local i know a lot of people who can vouch for that. Stephen does not garner that kind of support. Even when this first came out and was thought to be just a tragic fire and death related to the fire, he did not garner much support. A crony of his started a youcaring donation account to support him and it garnered ZERO supporters. That ought to tell you a LOT about him.

noZme, GarAndMo49, Lily and 4 others like this.
  5. Kimster

All of this information is telling me that this case isn't going to go away easily, that's the GOOD news! And now that there's an autopsy stating homicide...well there we go! I have to wonder why on earth if this husband is so sketchy that the sheriff himself is one of the few who like him! Does LA have a state bureau of investigation that Nanette's family can appeal to? There has to be a chain of command somewhere.

6. Nagatha Christie

Usually law enforcement and firefighters know each other well as their jobs can overlap at accident scenes, fires, etc. It's all in the "first responder family". Then St Tammany parish has traditionally been a bunch of small town with many families that go back for generations. (as does mine there, on both side of my family).

Stephen came from a good family, his father was one of my dad's friends. So it is shocking to me to see this case and to discover that his brother has such a record of run-ins with the law. I don't know what went so wrong with those boys. They had a good upbringing with good parents who were married until the day that their dad died (in the past few years).

After the announcement, the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office said it would provide its own update on Thursday, and that it doesn't "necessarily support" the coroner's conclusion.

Now that should be interesting to see. Will we finally see some show of determination to get justice or will they be forced to turn the case over to someone who knows how to handle a case such as this. Honestly I don't have a lot of faith in the Sheriff's dept simply because they are already in over their heads. Time to bring in someone who is more experienced and who can be more objective.

7. Kimster

I won't be here when the presser happens. I'll make a note to check it out on my return, or if I get the chance while I'm away. Praying for justice! No matter what the cause of death, we want the TRUTH to be exposed!

noZme, Lily, Uno2Much and 1 other person like this.
  8. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

This case reminds me of another :
    https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/robert-william-fisher

I'm not saying the husband did it in Nanette's case since he hasn't been arrested
    or is a POI as far as I know.

The house blew up, but I believe it started as a fire. He killed his wife and two children before
    the explosion.
    His abandoned truck was found in a remote area in the Tonto National Forest here in AZ
    about 1.5 hours from where he lived in Scottsdale, AZ.
    He has not been found as of this date.

I only mention this case because they seem similar to me.

9. Nagatha Christie

When the coroner announced that the death has been ruled a suicide, Sheriff Smith publicly issued a statement and said "At this time, the Sheriff's Office investigation does not necessarily support the Coroner's conclusion in this case,". http://www.wwl.com/articles/northshore-officials-disagree-about-death-fire-chiefs-wife. (remember, he and steve are good friends)

He held a press conference the next day claiming that it is indeed a homicide and that his office had treated this as a homicide from the beginning. Quite a change dontcha think?

Oh it gets better. Upon his announcement that Nanette's death was a homicide he also declared that he has cleared Steven Krentel (the husband) as a suspect. If he didnt believe it was a homicide until after the 3 coroners reports then HOW could he have cleared his friend Steve Krentel so quickly?? He claims he did a thorough investigation and steve cooperated.

Now he denies he disputed the coroner's findings http://www.wwl.com/articles/sheriff-fire-chief-cleared-wifes-death-investigation-ongoing
    "St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Randy Smith announced Thursday Fire Chief Steve Krentel has been cleared in the investigation into his wife's July death.
    Smith also said he was not disputing the parish coroner's ruling of a homicide, but was instead concerned about the timing of the announcement because of pending lab results.". he also insists that this has been handled and investigated as a homicide from the beginning.

Another odd thing is that the State Fire Marshal's Office confirmed they believe the fire was intentionally set, but would not classify it as an arson. Hmm, why the hell not???

Now I know the police were viewing some video evidence to help the investigation . That video is from surveillance cams on steve and nanettes property and their long driveway. BUT keep in mind that steve installed the camera's himself and is very familiar with video security cams as his late father had a security business. So steve would be quite adept and knowledgeable about the cameras and could manipulate them to erase traces of his guilt and to conjure false evidence.

Also keep in mind that the main computer that gathered and stored the camera footage was IN THE HOUSE!!

So now we have 2 reasons why the killer would want the house completely burned. One would be to cover up the time of death and now we know it would also destroy video evidence.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  10. Nagatha Christie

Honestly, if sheriff smith believed this was a homicide all along then why would her family have to get a personally funded one to conduct another autopsy?

here is a very disturbing detail that should have made this case a priority (aside from the murder and arson aspect). The pets were killed. Nan was a pet lover and would have never allowed her sweet babies to die in a horrible fire.

Well now it comes out that the animals were killed to and were likely shot and one of them may have been mutilated. (the mutilation is from inside info and has not been publicly confirmed but I have two trusted sources on the inside who have confirmed this).

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/northshore/husband-family-react-to-new-details-in-the-murder-of-nanette-krentel/474955976
    "Meanwhile, the St. Tammany Coroner's Office confirmed the pets found in the fire with Nanette, we're told two cats and a dog, underwent necropsies at LSU. The results of how they died have been received, but aren't being released at this time. Court documents, filed by the family to get an independent autopsy done on Nanette, indicate the animals were shot too."

Also mentioned in the article above was that on Thursday that "Nanette's father, Dan Watson, walked out of the St. Tammany Courthouse victorious in receiving a six-month-long restraining order on all of the agencies involved in the investigation, forcing them to preserve all of their evidence and materials. That was a precautionary request by Watson as he says his concerns over the handling of his daughter's death case continue to grow."

You have to wonder why a family is having to go to such lengths if the sheriff and coroner were really doing everything possible to investigate this as a homicide. The family started their quest for justice when the news came out that it was likely going to be ruled a suicide. Yet now I can't find any of those articles that claim that or whether it was the coroner or the sheriff.

11. Nagatha Christie

A clarification on my part. The parish coroner did an autopsy and then got a colleague to do the second one. The third one was the one conducted by Nan's family.

Although the sherriff has cleared Steve, it seems the parish citizens are NOT happy with that. Based upon his friendship with steve and steves many ties to poeple in LEO and other agencies (such as the fire marshall's office), sherriff smith should recuse himself and his department from the case and turn it over to a higher agency such as the state police or FBI. However I believe that Nan's family feels the Fire Marshall's office has been very helpful and forthcoming with keeping them aware of what is going on.

Another thing that needs to be brought up is that it is known that steve has a younger brother who reportedly did not like Nanette and that he was so angry and scary towards her that she may have sought a restraining order. This brother has an extensive criminal past of many dui's , drug charges, some thing to do with guns and an assortment of other things. So he looks like a good suspect as well, although there has been no mention of him from LE. My info on that comes from inside sources who know about the brother.

It is also alleged that steve had a gf who worked for the fd with him. Her job was dealing with the finances of the dept. I have heard that he had cheated before in the past as well. I do not know how much of that that Nanette knew about. She was fb friends with the gf andof course knew her thru the fd. Not sure how much Nanette knew about what this gf was doing. Seems that she might not have known (or had recently learned of the affair) since she was friendly with the gf in the past.

It seems obvious that this was a very personal crime. The fact that pets were killed, that it was possible made to look like a suicide and the house burned are all indicators of that. The fact that the sheriff has not mentioned any suspicious people observed on video leads me to believe the perp knew about ALL of the cams and where they were store. There is no mention of any knowledge of anything being missing so robbery doesn't seem likely.

If the sheriff thinks it is a homicide (and claims he always has) then why doesn't he seem alarmed that there is a murderous, fires-tarting pet killer on the loose? Geez, we all know that harming animals and fires are the calling card of a sociopath. His lack of concern is what leads me to believe that he likely knows who it is.

I hope that he really is on the case and is just trying to keep the perp from suspecting that they are really onto him and are gathering the evidence to make the case. But i just don't have the faith in him right now. This is his first term as sheriff and the people of St Tamany are saying that it will also be his last as that will not vote for him again.

12. spike

spike Bronze Member

Lived here for ten years.
    Louisiana law and order. Like no other.

noZme and GarAndMo49 like this.
  13. Kimster

Does that mean this scenario isn't surprising to you?

noZme, GarAndMo49 and spike like this.
  14. spike

spike Bronze Member

I will just say that blood trumps the law and adds to politics.

Louisiana is like no other state...and leave it at that.

noZme, GarAndMo49 and Kimster like this.
  15. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Father of Nanette Krentel: 'a cold-blooded killer in our midst'

Nearly five months after someone shot Nanette Krentel to death and burned her home, Krentel's father said he is troubled about the lack of progress in the investigation and warned St. Tammany Parish residents that there is "a cold-blooded killer in our midst."

In a Tuesday (Dec. 5) post on the Justice For Nanette Facebook page, Dan Watson of Iowa said he has been told the Sheriff's Office has no suspects and no leads in the July 14 slaying of his daughter, the wife of Fire District 12 Fire Chief Stephen Krentel.

http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/12/father_of_nanette_krentel_a_co.html

noZme, GarAndMo49, Uno2Much and 2 others like this.
  16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Sister of North Shore homicide victim meets with FBI

The sister of North Shore homicide victim Nanette Krentel said she met with the FBI for about two hours Wednesday (Dec. 27) in New Orleans to express concerns about the five-month investigation.

Wendy Watson, a former North Shore resident now living in Anderson, S.C., said she went to the FBI because her family has no confidence in the investigation being carried out by the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office and Louisiana Fire Marshal's Office.

"I wanted them to know about some concerns that we have," Watson said Thursday. She declined to specify what those concerns were.

The FBI can get involved in a local case such as this if there is evidence of a coverup or a botched investigation, Watson said. "We feel like we have enough evidence."

The FBI's response? "They can't really tell you anything," Watson said.

Asked if the Sheriff's Office wanted to respond to Watson's statements, a department spokeswoman said Thursday afternoon she would check with investigators.

The spokeswoman said early this month that the department was "aggressively" investigating the killing.

Relatives of Nanette Krentel, a former pre-school teacher, have been upset for some time over the apparent lack of progress in the investigation.

http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/12/sister_of_north_shore_homicide.html

GarAndMo49, Uno2Much and spike like this.
  17. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

New developments in Nanette Krentel death investigation

There are new developments in the controversy surrounding the death of North Shore teacher Nanette Krentel, whose body was found last summer in her burned-down Lacombe-area home. She had been shot in the head.

Tom Williamson, one of the firefighters who brought complaints of wrongdoing against Nanette's husband, District 12 Fire Chief Stephen Krentel, has been placed on administrative leave.

Williamson said he feared retaliation when he filed the complaint. His leave with pay was approved by the fire district board of commissioners, which voted to investigate Krentel last month.

Stephen Krentel has denied allegations of intimidation and theft.

In the meantime, Nanette Krentel's sisters are now bringing their frustrations over the unsolved case to Louisiana's lieutenant governor and attorney general. They say they have questions about the investigation and want state officials to get involved. For seven months they been waiting for answers as to who was responsible for the death of their sister.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/37202629/krentel-developments

noZme, GarAndMo49, Uno2Much and 2 others like this.
  18. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Nanette Krentel's final day: Details, images revealed in death of Tammany fire chief's wife

The day that Nanette Krentel was fatally shot in her Lacombe home began just like any other day for the retired teacher, her husband, Steve Krentel, said Tuesday, recounting the well-worn routine that played out the morning of July 14.

His wife laid out his clothes, just as she always did, Krentel said, and made him a peanut butter sandwich for a midmorning snack.

"We had the same conversation almost every day," he said, and that morning was no different.

She would walk him to his truck, her chihuahua Harley clutched in her arms, so the little dog would see that he was leaving and wouldn't drive her crazy thinking he was about to return. He would jokingly chide the dog to behave, he said, and they would go back and forth over whether the animal understood him.

By 7:40 a.m., he was on his way to St. Tammany Fire Protection District No. 12, where he is the fire chief, and true to his own routine, he called his widowed mother to check on her and then called Nanette back to let her know how her mother-in-law was doing, a conversation that ended when he arrived at work.

That was the last time he ever spoke to his wife of 22 years, Krentel said.

The St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office has been mostly silent about the details of the day when Nanette Krentel's badly burned body was found in the wreckage of the couple's house. But the office on Tuesday provided some additional information about the timeline of her final day after her husband left for work.

Spokeswoman Meredith Timberlake said detectives have evidence that she left her house that morning and drove to the Northshore Boulevard area of Slidell, returning home shortly after 9 a.m.

"The evidence we have indicates that she was alone in her vehicle, and no other vehicles were following her," Timberlake said.

Krentel said his wife drove a bright red 2011 GLK 350 Mercedes SUV.

The Sheriff's Office also said that the first word of the fire that destroyed the Krentels' home was called in at 2:30 that afternoon.

A source familiar with the investigation said only one source of ignition in the house caused the fire.

The state Fire Marshal's Office has said that the fire was set intentionally but has not called it arson.

Krentel said he is thankful that the Sheriff's Office has provided some information about the timeline of the day's events. "In five days, it will be six months since this transpired," he said Tuesday, adding that he has been frustrated but understands and respects the investigative process.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...icle_c619b94a-f58d-11e7-b2d9-c3384d0d38a4.htm

noZme, spike and Uno2Much like this.
  19. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Slaying of North Shore fire chief's wife may get national TV exposure

The unsolved killing of Nanette Krentel, the wife of a North Shore fire chief, may be getting some national television exposure.

Crews from the syndicated show Crime Watch Daily recently interviewed family members and others about the July 2017 slaying that captivated St. Tammany Parish, said Lori Rando, who described herself as Nanette Krentel's best friend. Rando said she was interviewed Sunday.

Krentel's husband, Fire District 12 Chief Stephen Krentel, and St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Randy Smith were also scheduled to be interviewed, Rando said.

A date for the segment to air has not been determined, Rando said.

Rando she said she doesn't understand why more tips haven't rolled in, considering there is a $10,000 reward being offered in the case.

She hopes the TV segment will prompt someone to come forward with information.

"We're hoping that something, some kind of tip, will come forward," Rando said. "The more people we can get to see it, the better off we'll be."

http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2018/02/slaying_of_north_shore_fire_ch.html

noZme, GarAndMo49, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  20. spike

spike Bronze Member

Wow. I was just thinking about this case and corrupt law in LA.
    A very different world.