1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Nanette Krentel - Fire chief's wife found dead of gunshot wound after house fire

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Nagatha Christie, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

TV show to feature unsolved killing of North Shore fire chief's wife

The unsolved killing of a North Shore fire chief's wife will be featured Wednesday (Feb. 21) on the syndicated show "Crime Watch Daily."

Crews from the TV show recently interviewed Nanette Krentel's family members and friends, as well as others, about the crime.

Lori Rando, a friend of Krentel, said she hopes the segment will lead to meaningful information surfacing.

"We're hoping that something, some kind of tip, will come forward," she said.

http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2018/02/tv_show_this_week_to_feature_k.html

noZme, GarAndMo49, Lily and 2 others like this.
  2. Uno2Much

Uno2Much Bronze Member

Embattled former St. Tammany fire chief Steve Krentel announces plans to retire
    BY SARA PAGONES | SPAGONES@THEADVOCATE.COM
    JUN 21, 2018 - 6:45 PM

Krentel was demoted from his position as fire chief by the board last month. A week later, the board announced that it had found merit in two items in a long list of complaints lodged against Krentel by firefighter Tom Williamson.

Williamson filed the complaints the day that Krentel returned to work following his wife's death last year.

Nanette Krentel's body was found in the burned wreckage of the couple's Lacombe home in July. She had been killed by a gunshot wound to the head. The case remains unsolved, but Sheriff Randy Smith has publicly cleared Steve Krentel as a suspect.

Williamson accused Krentel of having had an affair with a subordinate and of taking Fire District 12 equipment, among other allegations.

Read more: https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orl...cle_3d6b0414-75ad-11e8-902d-3bdc4d287311.html

noZme, GarAndMo49, patsella and 3 others like this.
  3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

The killing of Nanette Krentel - unsolved 1 year later

On Saturday - one year to the day that his wife was found shot to death in the ruins of their fire-ravaged home - North Shore fire official Stephen Krentel plans to visit a small country cemetery for “quiet time of reflection” at Nanette Krentel’s grave.

Krentel will also make a stop at their former homesite north of Lacombe, where he created a memorial to his wife.

“I feel closer to her there than the cemetery,” said Krentel, chief of operations for St. Tammany Parish’s Fire District 12 in the Covington area. “We lived there for over 17 years. We have some outstanding memories there, along with some extremely painful ones.”

Krentel said he has been “extremely frustrated” because of the lack of progress in the case and has met with or talked to investigators a number of times.

“Every time I have done that, I walk away feeling that they are actively investigating and looking at every possible angle and every new lead regardless of what source they get it from,” he said. “When I leave, I do feel better.

“I don’t know if it’s because I have to believe it or I choose to believe it, but I do have faith in all the agencies.”

Nanette Krentel’s father, Dan Watson of Sioux City, Iowa, said he was losing hope that the crime would be solved. He wrote about the one-year anniversary of his daughter’s slaying in a post on the Justice For Nanette Facebook page.

“One year, and there have been no arrests, no suspects, no progress, nothing. I don’t want to lose hope, but it is slowly happening, and it is the worst feeling that anyone can have in a situation like this.

“It’s a feeling of utter helplessness, of not being able to do anything to bring justice and peace to the person you love more than anything in the world. I hate that I’m thinking this way. It is a sickening feeling that is starting to take its toll on me physically. I’m just not sure how much more of this I can handle.”

St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Randy Smith, in an interview Friday, said investigators have spent countless hours on the homicide and that he is confident there will be an arrest.

“I’m very confident,’’ he said, but later added, “As of yet we’re still trying to put this case to rest.’’

Smith called the homicide the highest-profile he can recall in his 31-year law enforcement career and understands the frustration that the lack of an arrest has caused.

“I’d like nothing else better than to put someone in jail for the murder of Mrs. Krentel,’’ he said.

https://www.nola.com/expo/news/erry-2018/07/45215464039977/-the-killing-of-nanette-krente.html

[​IMG]

noZme, GarAndMo49, patsella and 2 others like this.
  4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

St. Tammany sheriff releases new details on Nanette Krentel homicide investigation

Stephen Krentel and members of Nanette Krentel’s family met Wednesday with Sheriff Randy Smith and his detectives to get an update on the investigation into the death of Nanette Krentel.

During Wednesday's meetings, Sheriff Smith shared with family members some previously unreleased details about the case, including the whereabouts of Stephen and Bryan Krentel on the night Nanette died, as well as video footage of a woman believed to be Nanette at a Slidell-area business that morning.

Family members and Stephen Krentel, Nanette's husband, were allowed to view the surveillance video, which was taken at a McDonalds on Northshore Boulevard. Nanette Krentel’s cellphone was traced, and those findings were consistent with her traveling to that location that morning. Detectives have used this information to develop a timeline of Nanette Krentel’s actions in the hours prior to her death.

It was also disclosed that the initial 911 call to the Krentel residence on the afternoon of July 14 was made by a neighbor’s child, who noticed smoke coming from the home while she was riding her bike. The home was fully engulfed in flames when the first units arrived, and Nanette Krentel’s body was located inside the residence after fire personnel extinguished the flames.

During Wednesday’s meetings, family members were provided with information concerning the caliber of weapon used in her death. A gun matching that caliber was located near her body inside the badly burned home. It has also been confirmed that the gun locker inside the Krentel residence was found locked prior to being forced open by investigators.

Since Nanette Krentel’s death, STPSO detectives have executed more than 20 search warrants, interviewed more than 30 individuals and reviewed surveillance videos from multiple locations in an effort to develop information and/or leads in this case, Sheriff Smith said.

Smith said he will continue to provide information to Nanette Krentel’s family and the public as long as that information does not hamper the investigation. The investigation remains active and ongoing, and Smith said no additional details will be released at this time.

http://www.wistv.com/story/38941892...ils-on-nanette-krentel-homicide-investigation

noZme, Blue G 3, spike and 5 others like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Report: Nanette Krentel case to be featured on true crime TV show

Over a year has passed since Nanette Krentel’s body was found in her fire-destroyed home just north of Lacombe, where she lived with her husband Stephen Krentel -- the then fire chief of St. Tammany Parish’s Fire District 12. The coroner later ruled her death a homicide after her autopsy showed she was shot to death.

Krentrel’s death remains unsolved and will soon be the focus of an episode of People Magazine Investigates, a true crime show on the cable TV channel Investigation Discovery, according to our news partners NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune.

The episode will air on Nov. 5 and is titled “Somebody is Watching,” according to the show’s website, which describes the episode as:

“A fire chief’s wife is found burnt to death in her home. An autopsy reveals the cause of death was not the fire, but a gunshot to the head, shocking this small Louisiana town. This arson turned homicide leaves a killer to be found.”

Stephen Krentel resigned from the fire department on Sept. 1 of this year and has been ruled out as a suspect.

Another TV show -- “Crime Watch Daily" -- featured the case in February. Krentel’s family told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune they hope the publicity will lead to someone coming forward with information that helps solve her murder.

“Anything is better than nothing,” Krentrel’s sister, Wendy Watson, told NOLA.com. “Just to keep the story going. It’s definitely a good thing.”

http://www.fox8live.com/2018/10/18/report-nanette-krentel-case-be-featured-true-crime-tv-show/

6. Nagatha Christie

Nagatha Christie Well-Known Member

Bumping up to let y'all know that People Magazine is doing an article and a tv show featuring Nan's case. I am on a kindle so I can't post a link.

noZme, Blue G 3, spike and 2 others like this.
  7. Nagatha Christie

Here is the article: https://people.com/crime/nanette-krentel-death-st-tammany-social-media/

Some bits from it....

"Steve (Nanette's husband) eventually resigned from the fire department after an internal review found he’d had improper relationships with two female employees and allegedly took air-conditioning units from ambulances."

Steve tried to play it off like he was simply retiring after a life of honorable service but we all know better.

noZme, Blue G 3, GarAndMo49 and 3 others like this.
  8. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Yeah, pillar of honesty in the community, my ***.

9. Nagatha Christie

Looks like steve just bought a nice big house for about $350k. My wish for 2019 is that he and his brother end up in the "big house" aka prison. Nanette's family is still fighting for justice but you can believe that her family will not give up on convicting the killer(s). Funny how Steve is not not concerned about finding his wife's killer.

His comment that he had never asked his brother (Brian) if he had killed Nanette really got to me. I guess you don't have to ask questions when you already know the answer

noZme, GarAndMo49 and Blue G 3 like this.
  10. Blue G 3

Blue G 3 Well-Known Member

I suppose Steve was at the Fire Station the entire day that the crime occurred. I wonder if the brother has an alibi?

noZme and GarAndMo49 like this.
  11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Friends continue to seek justice for Nanette Krentel, found dead in Northshore home

Friends and family gathered Monday to remember Nanette Krentel 18 months after her death on the Northshore. They held a candlelight vigil in honor of the 49-year-old whose death remains unsolved.

Krentel's relatives and friends said they are determined to keep her memory alive until they get some answers. They said her death left a void in the community.

Investigators have not released additional updates in Krentel's case.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/friend...tice-in-the-death-of-nanette-krentel/25898338

fran, GarAndMo49, spike and 1 other person like this.