1. ALABAMA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Kamille McKinney, 3, abducted from a birthday party in Birmingham on Oct 12.
    The suspect vehicle has been located and a man has been taken into custody, but Kamille is still missing.
    Click HERE for more information

    NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com


Discussion in 'Unidentified General Information' started by Kimster, Jun 29, 2015.

  1. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    Uno2Much, Akoya, kdg411 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    ROSEBURG, Ore. -- Medical examiners are working to identify a human skull that was found early Wednesday morning in Roseburg.

    Officials said the remains were found around 8 a.m. by an Oregon Department of Transportation crew.

    The crew was doing routine maintenance work on I-5 northbound at exit 124 when they found the skull on a hillside.

    The Douglas County Medical Examiner and State Medical Examiner's Office were called out and confirmed the skull is human.

    “The human skeletal remains were found to be actual human remains," said Oregon State Police Lieutenant Steve Mitchell. "We found at least one bone. We are now in the process of having the County Medical Examiner work with the State Medical Examiner’s office to try to identify who the skeletal remains may be.”

    Mitchell said the remains are skeletal, meaning the person didn't die any time recently.

    Search and rescue crews were called to comb the area to try to find any additional remains.

    They were unable to find any other bones.

    This is an ongoing investigation, and KEZI will have updates as more information comes in.

    spike and Uno2Much like this.
  3. Uno2Much

    Uno2Much Bronze Member

    June 7, 2018, 7:00 PM
    "Baby June," newborn found dead off Florida coast, may have floated for miles, cops say

    An artist's rendition depicts an infant found dead June 1 in the Atlantic Ocean near Boynton Beach, Fla. Authorities are asking anyone who can help identify the girl to come forward. PALM BEACH COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE

    PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. -- Police seeking to identify a newborn girl found dead in the ocean off the south Florida coastline say the child was likely born in a hospital. The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office says an off-duty firefighter found the female infant Friday afternoon while boating on the Atlantic Ocean side of the Boynton Beach Inlet around 1 p.m. on June 1.

    Anyone with information is asked to call the hotline at 561-688-4155.

  4. Uno2Much

    Uno2Much Bronze Member

    spike likes this.
  5. spike

    spike Bronze Member

    Takeitfromme and Uno2Much like this.
  6. Uno2Much

    Uno2Much Bronze Member

    spike likes this.
  7. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member


    Chaffee County Crime Scene Team, Chaffee County Coroner’s Office and detectives worked around the clock to recover a nearly complete set of human remains, plus several artifacts nearby.

    Authorities started investigating the case as a homicide, the sheriff's office said.

    The remains were turned over to the coroner’s office and a forensic anthropologist examined them.

    Several months later, the sheriff’s office and coroner’s office received reports from the anthropologist. The findings? The remains belonged to a 15- to 18-year-old male and dated back to the mid- to late-1800s. He was a pioneer.

    He had damage to his cranium, which suggested that he had died as a result of blunt force injuries. Examiners and authorities do not know if that was caused by the fall, or if something had struck the teen. Because the remains were dated back so far, any witness or suspect to a potential crime in this case would already have almost certainly died, the sheriff's office said.

    Chief Deputy Coroner Jeff Graf, Coroner Randy Amettis and Sheriff John Spezze plan to hold an organized funeral and burial — including a donated personalized gravestone and ceremony — to lay the pioneer to rest.

    “Because of the age of the remains and the almost certain likelihood that no witness to a criminal case is still alive we collaboratively decided to go this direction to finally lay this unknown teenage boy to rest,” the sheriff’s office said.

    The service is scheduled for 10 a.m. June 27 at Fairview Cemetery, located at 8105 Co Road 144, Salida. The general public is welcome to attend.


    This gives me much hope that ALL remains can be located through time and effort - and a lot of luck.
    noZme, Takeitfromme, Paradise and 3 others like this.
  8. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    The remains of two people who died in 1987 and 1984 have now been identified through DNA testing by the Yolo County Coroner’s Office, closing one case and providing investigators with more information to perhaps solve a cold-blooded murder.

    The most recent of the two cases at last gives a name to the man, previously known as “The Bridge Hero,” who jumped into the Sacramento River to rescue people from a vehicle that drove off the Tower Bridge on Sept. 9, 1987.

    Identified as the hero was James Wray Miller of Ames Iowa. Miller’s body was recovered on Sept. 22 in West Sacramento. His age at the time of his death is unknown.

    According to Chief Deputy Coroner Gina Moya, the remains were previously identified twice, both of which turned out to be false.

    Moya reported that Miller’s family worked closely with the Coroner’s Office and “NamUs” during the most recent identification process.

    “NamUs” is the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System based in Largo, Florida, which was launched in 2009 specifically to help identify an estimated 100,000 active missing persons cases and more than 40,000 sets of unidentified human remains.

    According to file reports, Miller dove into the water to rescue a pickup driver Pati Fink, 51, and her passenger James Shaughnessy, 36, when the vehicle went into the river. Another woman, identified Chris Whittacker, was riding in the bed of the truck and was rescued.

    The pickup went into the water when the drawbridge was raised to allow a tour boat to pass underneath.

    According to a report appearing in the Sacramento Bee, Michael Foster Souza was serving as the bridge tender and overrode the safety controls to raise the bridge without the warning signals to prevent motorists from driving onto it when raised.

    The Bee reported Souza had been on the job about a month and was fired by the state Department of Transportation shortly after the accident. He pleaded no contest to a single count of involuntary manslaughter for opening the drawbridge without activating the proper warning signals.

    The Bee also reported Souza was found to have a blood-alcohol reading of 0.18, after the fatal accident, which occurred while he was at the controls of the bridge apparatus.

    “Under the terms of his plea agreement, Souza was permitted to enter a work furlough program instead of serving jail time,” The Bee stated. “He was removed from the program after violating rules and required to serve the final months of his one-year sentence in jail.”
    Identification of the second cold case, according to Moya, was made in December 2017 and only just reported.

    The skeletonized remains of what were later determined to be a black woman, were found scattered near County Road 32A in Davis in August 1984.

    “Her cause of death was multiple shotgun shots to the head, neck and right shoulder,” according to Moya.

    The deceased was positively identified by DNA comparison as Michelle Roy of Sacramento County, who went missing in May 1984. Her age was also not reported.

    The case is under investigation and anyone with information is urged to contact the Yolo County Sheriff’s Office, Moya stated.

    The use of DNA testing — partnered with genealogy databases — has shined a light on cold cases across the state, producing new information to help solve them.

  9. Uno2Much

    Uno2Much Bronze Member

    Police say a baby boy was found floating in the East River near the Brooklyn Bridge, CBS New York reports. The approximately 8-month-old child was discovered Sunday afternoon by a family visiting New York City from Stillwater, Oklahoma.

    The Associated Press says Monte Campbell's wife, Diana, first noticed the child, who was only wearing diapers. The family was taking in the view under the Brooklyn Bridge, CBS New York reports.

    "She just called me over and said there was a baby in the water. I called 911. At that point I thought it was a doll, Mr. Campbell told the AP. He had went into the water "mid-thigh level," AP reports, to retrieve the baby and started CPR. There was no respiration nor pulse.

    The NYPD tweeted that it was searching the waters for any additional victims.

    CBS New York says authorities took the child from the water and rushed him to a local hospital and was pronounced dead. Investigators also pulled a backpack found floating nearby from the river, the station adds.

    A medical examiner will establish an exact cause of death. Anyone with information is urged to call 800-577-TIPS.

    kdg411, Kimster and Takeitfromme like this.
  10. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member


    A hunter checking trail cameras was following a deer through a remote wooded area along Chapin Road in the southwest part of the county around 4 p.m., according to the Saginaw County Sheriff's Office.

    The hunter, who owns the property, said he found a boot along a trail and then discovered what appeared to be a human skull. He called police, who immediately launched an investigation.

    A Michigan State Police crime lab was at the scene until late Sunday evening.

    Police believe the remains have been in the woods for quite a while -- mostly likely years. Investigators are poring over past missing persons cases to start trying to determine the identity.


    I follow Eric Franks' mom on FB and that's how I learned about this finding. There are many missing in Michigan. I pray they are able to determine the identity of these bones quickly!
    SheWhoMustNotBeNamed and noZme like this.
  11. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    The Volusia County Sheriff's Office said Monday that a DNA match confirmed that human remains found in neighboring Flagler County in 2016 were of Mandy Ciehanoski.

    Ciehanoski had been in a relationship with Michael Annicchiarico, who pleaded no contest to second-degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison in 2014.

    The woman's remains were found two years ago by a drone operator searching for a crashed drone.

  12. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    After missing for 20 years from Youngstown and Austintown, classified as a Jane Doe homicide victim in Utah, her remains were returned to her family Tuesday by the Utah Department Of Public Safety.

    Agent Brian Davis of the UDPS said a sister of Reyes-Geddes’, Lucero Reyes-Contreas, will take her sister’s remains to her native Mexico.

    Reyes-Contreas flew to Utah from Mexico last week, her trip paid for by a fund used to help victims of crimes, Davis said.

    Davis and his counterpart in Youngstown, Detective Sgt. David Sweeney, announced in November that Reyes-Geddes, who had gone missing in 1998, had been identified.

    Reyes-Geddes lived in Austintown, but Youngstown handled her missing-persons investigation because her husband owned a business in the city and also because at the time, Youngstown had one of the few Spanish-speaking officers in the area, who was needed because her family is from Mexico.

    Reyes-Geddes left for Laredo, Texas, in August 1998 to visit family and friends but never made it there. She was reported missing in September 1998, the same month a body was found in a remote area of Utah, bound in a sleeping bag with a gunshot wound to the head. The death was ruled a homicide, but she was not identified until November 2018 after pleas from both Sweeney and authorities in Utah.

    Sweeney and the Utah authorities were working the case, but their roles were not known to each other until a person emailed both agencies and told them the cases were similar. Investigators acted on the tip and were able to get a DNA sample and identify Reyes-Geddes.

    “It’s been real good cooperation in Utah and Ohio,” Davis said.

    Davis said there was a lot of paperwork that family members had to go through to get Reyes-Geddes’ death certificate and also to have her disinterred. Davis said the family plans to have the remains cremated and to take them back to Mexico.


    STEADFAST Well-Known Member

    FAYETTEVILLE, ARKANSAS: Skull found at Devil's Den
    "A hiker found a human skull and remains Feb. 25 at Devil's Den State Park, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Office. . . . The Sheriff's Office is investigating a missing-person case from Aug. 27, 2017, according to the post. Rodney Letterman, 37, of Bartlesville, Okla., was last seen in the area of a hiking trail at Devil's Den."
    kdg411, fran and Kimster like this.
  14. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member


    Former Romeoville resident Sheila Henson said that if the roles were reversed, her mother would have been searching for her until the day she died.

    That mindset kept Henson going for more than 43 years.

    Henson’s mother, Delores Griffin, lived at 744 Hillcrest Drive with her three children and her husband in October 1975. She was 34 at the time.

    She went missing Oct. 24, 1975. Her remains were identified Jan. 18, 2019.

    “I always knew somehow I would find her,” Henson said. “I wanted justice for my mom.”

    Henson was 13 years old when she came home from school with her 10-year-old sister and 7-year-old brother Oct. 24, 1975. They arrived to an empty house. The curtains were closed, and their mother’s car was gone.

    “We lived in an abusive situation,” Henson said.

    The children stayed with a relative that night, according to information that Romeoville Detective Mike Ryan and Will County Deputy Coroner Gene Sullivan have gathered through the years. Their father, Frank E. Griffin, returned the next day, covered in mud.

    He showered, burned his clothes and shoes and walked the children to the Romeoville Police Department to report their mother missing.

    That same day, a body was found in a lagoon in Monroe County, Michigan, which is about 300 miles from Romeoville. An autopsy showed that the woman was stabbed in the chest and strangled. Her death was ruled a homicide.

    Henson later would say that she thought her father contacted police and told them his wife was in Chicago and was filing for divorce. Henson also said Frank Griffin refused to sleep in his bedroom and “would cry and howl like an animal at night.”

    The children later moved to Kentucky to live with their grandparents.

    Romeoville police said Frank Griffin was found dead April 16, 1976, in his car in his garage. Authorities ruled his death a suicide, and documents showed that his wife had not been reached to be notified.

    “In 1975, we used a system that’s completely different from what we use now,” Ryan said.

    The 18-year veteran said he learned about the case when Henson called the Romeoville Police Department in June 2012 asking whether any unidentified woman’s remains had been found in the village.

    Ryan added Henson’s new recollections to her mother’s missing person’s report and got in touch with Sullivan, who also had never heard of the case. He had been a Romeoville detective since 1988.

    “It didn’t come across my desk; no one ever spoke of it,” Sullivan said.

    Sullivan encouraged Henson to visit the Paducah Police Department in Kentucky and provide her DNA. Her mother’s sister also provided DNA. Sullivan said two samples were better than one.

    In August 2012, Sullivan opened a file on a U.S. Department of Justice-funded database called the National Missing and Unidentified Missing Persons System for Delores Griffin. A little more than a year later, in November 2013, an unidentified person case was entered into NamUs from Wayne County, Michigan.

    “NamUs is taking the two halves of a needle, one’s in one haystack and one’s in another, and every haystack is a police department or coroner’s office, so to speak,” Sullivan said. “Without the database and without the oversight, this would probably not have happened when it did.”

    Lori Bruski, an administrator from NamUs, pushed investigators in Michigan and Will County throughout the next four years, suggesting the two cases might be linked.

    Henson also pushed for answers in her own way, checking in with Sullivan and Ryan and other missing persons organizations.

    “The real story here is [Henson] – she didn’t give up for 40 years, she kept going, and she kept reminding us to help her,” Ryan said. “It was a bunch of officers just doing their jobs.”

    Sullivan agreed that Henson helped investigators chug along.

    “That’s all you need. You don’t need to ask and demand; in fact, it’s sometimes better when you grab somebody by the heart instead of by the neck, right?” he said.

    As authorities gathered more evidence, a connection seemed to appear.

    Ryan said photos of the unidentified Michigan woman looked similar to Delores Griffin. She also was wearing what appeared to be a silver wedding band. After Michigan State Police developed a DNA profile for the unidentified woman from hair and fingernail scrapings, the information from all three women was sent to the University of Northern Texas Center for Human Identification in December.

    “I kind of told [Henson] there was a chance, but I didn’t want to build her hopes up,” Ryan said.

    Specialists at UNT performed a manual comparison of the DNA, and it matched Jan. 18. Sullivan said he frequently sends DNA to the lab to be compared manually, but this was the first time there was a successful match.

    Henson’s mother’s body will be exhumed and brought to Kentucky, where a service will be held Saturday.

    “We’re going to try to make it a celebration of life,” Henson said.

    As for Ryan and Sullivan, there’s not much left to do with the 40-year-old case. Frank Griffin was the believed suspect, Ryan said.

    Officials checked the evidence surrounding Delores Griffin’s death for any foreign DNA, and the tests came back negative.

  15. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member

    COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- Remains found off Shoreview Drive in the Cottage Grove area have been confirmed to be human, the Lane County Sheriff’s Office said.

    Authorities said two mushroom pickers found the bones on April 26, but the remains appeared to have been in the area for a while.

    The sheriff's office said it could be some time before the remains are able to be identified. The sheriff's office and medical examiner's office are investigating.

    spike and fran like this.
  16. Kimster

    Kimster Director Staff Member


    As the Yakima County coroner works to identify a body found on an island in the Yakima River a few weeks ago, Trish Monoian waits and hopes, just as she has since October 2013.

    That’s when she last saw her daughter, Kayann Canfield. The 24-year-old with long red hair and a 2-year-old son had been living in Toppenish with her grandmother, who had custody of the boy. Though Canfield had moved out of her grandmother’s home, she kept in touch with family daily, Monoian said. They last heard from her late Oct. 20 and early Oct. 21, after she texted her stepfather asking for a ride, then called a little later to say she had one.

    Authorities halted, then resumed their missing person investigation after Canfield was reportedly seen a few days later walking with her boyfriend. He denied being with her that day. On Nov. 5, Monoian found her daughter’s clothing dumped along a ditch near the intersection of Track and McDonald roads on the west end of Toppenish.

    Years have passed with few updates.

    “The hardest part is not knowing where she’s at. I’ve come to grips with (the possibility) my daughter is most likely dead. I’m OK with that, but I want that closure. I want to know where my daughter is,” she said. “Every time I hear it’s a female (body found), I immediately contact” investigators, Monoian said.

    Monian is among many others in the Yakima Valley with missing loved ones. That is why Jim Curtice, the coroner, will not release the gender of the remains discovered July 21 on an island about a half-mile west of the Donald-Wapato Bridge.

    “Because we have so many missing people, I don’t want to send out any false hopes to anyone,” he has said.

    kdg411 likes this.

Share This Page