1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Venessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Venessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CA NIPTON JANE DOE: WF, 18-30, found in mine shaft near CA/NV border - 30 May 1976 *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by FlandersFields, Jun 18, 2016.

1. FlandersFields

FlandersFields Well-Known Member

Nipton Jane Doe was found in a mind shaft by hikers on May 3o, 1976. The location according to records was by Nipton Road not far from California/Nevada border at Stateline. The report said she was wearing a swimsuit by "Carol Brant", however I believe that was a typo. The brand could have more than likely be, "Carol Brent" and it was a popular swimsuit collection from Montgomery Ward. One report I read said she was shot at the back by her liver. Another report said she was shot in the back of the head by a .22 shotgun bullet. The location is puzzling because it is a desert, and there are no lakes, rivers, or a recreational pool. Detectives believe that her body was transported to this location. She may had traveled to Las Vegas, or was at Whiskey Pete's Hotel which is close to Nipton Road. Given the fact that there would be too many people surrounding her, I doubt that she could have been shot inside a hotel room, or by a hotel pool. My hunch would be the crime could have occurred around the National Mojave Preserve (the name was changed from East National Mojave Preserve in 2004). The preserve encompasses a very large area. There are also campgrounds where RV's and tents are allowed to congregate, and hiking trails etc.

By her swimsuit and painted nails, it tells me that she was around civilization where someone was bound to have known her, and not be someone who lived out in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately, no one has
    has identified her.

upload_2016-6-17_23-41-55.png

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/778ufca.html

Kimster added media link: http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...n-mine-shaft-near-nevada-border-in-1976.1638/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
    Ladyslug, patsella, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  2. spike

spike Bronze Member

This is so sad.

Ladyslug, Akoya, Scorpio and 2 others like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I wonder if they were Vegas tourists who got into an argument at their hotel room after having been at the pool?

Ladyslug, Akoya, Scorpio and 2 others like this.
  4. FlandersFields

It could have happened that way. I think the one who shot her must have been a controlling, abusive individual. I also think that she came from a small family, or her family had little contact with her. It's sad, when a young female has a small support system. :(

Akoya, Scorpio, Kimster and 1 other person like this.
  5. FlandersFields

In her PM pic, her hair looked like it was pinned up as if she was protecting it from getting wet. So, yes, it appears that she was in a pool rather than just simply sunning herself outside desert campground.

Akoya, spike and Scorpio like this.
  6. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

I wonder who discovered her body? I understand there's hundreds of abandoned mine shafts in this area, I wonder about the circumstances of how this young woman's body came to be found.

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

patsella, Akoya and spike like this.
  8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://unidentified.wikia.com/wiki/Nipton_Jane_Doe

Nipton Jane Doe

Nipton Jane Doe was a young woman found shot to death in a mine shaft in California in 1976.

• She had shoulder length, reddish brown hair.
    • She was slightly obese.
    • Her two front teeth overlapped.
    • She had likely never been pregnant

Nipton Jane Doe

[​IMG]

Sex Female
    Race White
    Location Nipton, California
    Found May 30, 1976
    Unidentified for 40 years
    Postmortem interval Days
    Body condition Recognizable face(B)
    Age approximation 18 - 25
    Height approximation 5'4
    Weight approximation 150 - 160 pounds
    Cause of death Gunshot (homicide)

FlandersFields, Scorpio and spike like this.
  12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

778UFCA - Unidentified Female

[​IMG]

Reconstruction of the victim by Carl Kopplman. To view mortuary photographs of the victim, please click photo 1 and photo 2.

Date of Discovery: May 30, 1976
    Location of Discovery: Nipton, San Bernardino County, California
    Estimated Date of Death: Days
    State of Remains: Recognizable face
    Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot

Physical Description
    Estimated Age: 18-30 years old
    Race: White
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 155 lbs.
    Hair Color: Reddish brown, shoulder length hair.
    Eye Color: Unknown
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: No evidence of prior pregnancies. Residual of orange or pink nail polish on fingernails.

Identifiers
    Dentals: Available. Two upper front teeth overlap, missing for wisdom teeth. No fillings or cavities.
    Fingerprints: Available
    DNA: Not available - Insufficient DNA for profiling.

Clothing & Personal Items
    Clothing: Two-piece bathing suit, navy blue with white trim, "Carol Brant" brand.
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
    The victim was located in a mineshaft in the remote Mojave desert near Nipton, California on May 30, 1976. Victim was shot in the back and dumped at location. Possibly transported there.

Investigating Agency(s)
    Agency Name: San Bernardino County Sheriff - Coroner
    Agency Contact Person: David Van Norman
    Agency Phone Number: 909-387-2978
    Agency E-Mail: dvannorman@sbcsd.org
    Agency Case Number: 38765808 (Sheriff); 47426 (Coroner)

NCIC Case Number: U760572472
    NamUs Case Number: 2503

Information Source(s)
    NamUs
    Unidentified Wiki

Admin Notes
    Added: 9/24/08; Last Updated: 11/16/16

13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

KCET

The I-15 Cima Road offramp
    upload_2016-12-11_11-22-5.jpeg

Cima Road

upload_2016-12-11_11-24-29.jpeg

[​IMG]

14. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

The victim was located in a mineshaft in the remote Mojave desert near Nipton, California on May 30, 1976. Victim was shot in the back and dumped at location. Possibly transported there.

The mineshafts are scattered throughout the area, but someone was familiar with the remote mines and knew where to drop Nipton Jane Doe's body in the mine shaft.

15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Did these campgrounds have pools?

[​IMG]

FlandersFields, Scorpio and spike like this.
  16. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

17. FlandersFields

patsella, spike, Akoya and 1 other person like this.
  18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I agree with you Flanders Fields. The photographs are heartbreaking, but they provide a direct connection to these victims. They provide an understanding that a sketch can't give.

I don't know if discoloration on the victim's face is the result of bruising or decomposition. The account I read said that she had been thrown into the mine shaft with debris on top of her. Can a body bruise after death? If not, the bruise had to occur prior to death. Bruising may have occurred because of trauma to her head from the gunshot

Something tells me this woman wasn't brought from Las Vegas. I think she was killed in a local place. The person who killed her knew where the old mine shafts were located. The mine shafts in that area are numerous, but isolated. Who found her and how did they know she was in the mine shaft?

19. Scorpio

Scorpio Bronze Member

I don't think she is from Las Vegas either. If she was, wouldn't there be plenty of places to get rid of a body in Nevada? I'm very curious to know how her body came to be discovered. The fact she was dumped in a mine shaft leads me to believe the perpetrator did not want her to be found. Perhaps because she is a local and people might recognize her.

NamUs says Jane Doe has ''insufficient DNA for profiling'' I don't understand how this can be the case when they found entire body.

20. FlandersFields

I read in an old article that a family were hiking around the area and then decided to go "exploring" inside a mine shaft, and then found her body. It was only a few days between her death and the day she was found. Everytime I pass by Nipton Rd. I always think of her, and look at all the truck drivers that pass through the rest stops.