1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CA NIPTON JANE DOE: WF, 18-30, found in mine shaft near CA/NV border - 30 May 1976 *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by FlandersFields, Jun 18, 2016.

1. FlandersFields

FlandersFields Well-Known Member

I also don't think she was from Vegas either because I would think that in a big city, someone watching the news or reading the paper would have recognized her. This case is puzzling because I would assume that law enforcement would have posted her picture in the town of Baker and Nipton. Or did they? I don't want to sound dumb but in the local area, do they have good TV reception? I could believe that not much info was collected from there because the people were not informed . However, she was wearing a swimsuit from Montgomery Ward. Was she new in town? The people that found her body was a family that were hiking the area. The report said that the family went inside the mind shaft just to check it out. Now that you've mentioned it, I'm thinking, who would want to go inside a mine shaft, especially if there were children (the article only mentioned them as a "family") around? I get the impression that investigators at that time did not put too time in questioning people who seemed normal. I hope I am wrong in that respect. I'm also involved in another thread about a John Doe that was found in my hometown, and I'm starting to think that the person who killed him lived near the street where his body was found. The reason why is because the street is a dangerous one, 9 out of 10 who drive on that road go there because they live there . But of course, maybe the killer picked that street because he wanted the cops to think that. It's sad that so many years have passed and there has been no leads in the Jane Doe case. With more advancements going on, hopefully detectives can get enough sufficient DNA.

spike, Scorpio and Akoya like this.
  2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

I agree with your thoughts. I wonder if she was staying at one of the motels in the area. Maybe she met a local person there. Do those motels have bars? I have also wondered about transportation and if she had a car that also disappeared. Baker and Nipton are not locations with big populations, and I think someone would have recognized that a local woman had been murdered. I'm thinking that she was traveling through the area.

3. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Exploring old mines was/is a pretty popular activity. Panning for gold is also still popular. I guess many people are attracted to the old mines for the " thrill" factor, exploring somewhere dark and underground, a unique and out of the way "party" location, etc. The Nevada Dept. of Mineral Resources actually has developed bumper stickers, refrigerator magnets, teaching materials, etc. imprinted with the slogan " ABANDONED MINES-STAY OUT AND STAY ALIVE".

Teachers can actually take a class in the history of the NV mines to teach their students about mining and the dangers of the abandoned mines.
    There is the risk of cave-ins, of buildup of poisonous gas inside the mines, and being injured by the abandoned equipment, to name some of the risks.

Here's a link to a presentation of Nevada mines. Several of the photos show the entrances to abandoned mines, to give an idea of what they look like.
    http://ndep.nv.gov/tribe/docs/coyner09.pdf

Nevada has been compiling a list of all the abandoned mines in the state.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  4. FlandersFields

Thanks for this!

Akoya and spike like this.
  5. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I used to ride my horse in the desert and looked in mine shafts. It's not unusual for curiosity seekers.

spike, Akoya and FlandersFields like this.
  6. FlandersFields

On my way home from Vegas the other day, I stopped at Primm, NV to fill up my tank. I'm my way walking to the mart, I saw a young female wearing a bathing suit underneath a crotchet top. It reminded me of Nipton Jane Doe. What also got my attention was that the gas station is close to Whiskey Pete's, and one theory was that Nipton Jane Doe might have stayed there. I wanted to ask questions about why was she wearing a swimsuit, but I held back. I might scare her away! I noticed that she was a passenger in a four-door car, with paper plates, and her boyfriend was driving the car. The car looked immaculate from the inside out. Her boyfriend looked well-dressed. I tried to hear their conversation, but I couldn't make much of it. The only thing I heard, was something like, "drive" or "taking a drive". Urgh! I should of asked a question and started a conversation but I didn't. I noticed that she was barefoot and was not carrying a purse. From the looks of it, it looked like she wasn't traveling far.

Kimster, Scorpio, Akoya and 1 other person like this.
  7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

You experience was giving me chills. It was probably very close to what happened with Nipton Jane Doe.

8. FlandersFields

It was surreal. I hardly ever see anyone wearing a swimsuit at stateline. You see plenty of swimsuit -clad people walking towards the pool but never in a gas station in the middle of a desert. The female and her companion in a car made it even more creepier for me.

Kimster, Akoya and spike like this.
  9. Sailor Haumea

Sailor Haumea Active Member

Can we please change the PM photos to links rather than embedded images? I didn't want to see the photos, just the reconstruction.

Someone has suggested Ingrid Anderson:
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/anderson_ingrid.html

It's also been suggested that this woman was a Zodiac victim, but turn again, basically every unsolved murder in California around 1970 eventually gets suggested to have been done by the Zodiac Killer.

Kimster likes this.
  10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Any thread labeled *GRAPHIC* may have graphic photos in it, such as post-mortem pictures.

11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Thank you, Shewho. Sometimes photographs of the deceased can be more helpful with identification than the reconstructions are. Working with the unidentified isn't for everyone, but there is a choice.

FlandersFields and spike like this.
  12. Sailor Haumea

Sailor Haumea Active Member

I would prefer, like WebSleuths, for postmortem photos to be clickable links rather than embedded images. The reconstructions are perhaps something that I might be able to help with. Postmortem isn't.

13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Perhaps you could view the unidentified threads at Websleuths. Crimewatcher's isn't Websleuths and I personally believe that our threads are far superior. Not every unidentified person has postmortem photos, in our threads. As SheWhoMustNotBeNamed explained, the threads with postmortem images are clearly identified in advance for anyone who may be uncomfortable with the graphic images.

14. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

New here but i hope to bring some renewed interest to this cold case. It states the shotgun shell used was 7 1/2. This is a bird shot round typically used in small game hunting. The suspect may be an avid hunter and had the weapon close by or within his vehicle often from earlier hunting. The area the victim was found does typically have small game birds and rabbits. This correlates with that type of shotgun shell.

15. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

:welcome: @Gene
    Thanks for joining us here and sharing your input!

FlandersFields likes this.
  16. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

Thanks! Btw, glad to see your reference to Dylan Groene. I'm optimistic justice may finally be delivered for Shasta and Dylan since the announcement of Federal Death row inmates executions to resume since the hiatus of 2003.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  17. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Oh wow! Could she have been shot on accident, or would the shooter have to be too close for that?

FlandersFields likes this.
  18. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I doubt on accident. I wonder though if it could have been maybe some sort of hook up gone bad. Maybe the suspect was making unwanted sexual advances and she got spooked and creeped out and tried to walk away. Suspect then enraged and panicked grabs the shotgun still left in his vehicle from earlier hunting and shoots her in the back. Just a theory.

19. FlandersFields

Just the other day, I was looking at my boyfriend's old photo albums from the same era, and two of his aunts were wearing their bathing suits, and sunbathing on top of their camper. Another thing that got my attention was that they were around the same location. I thought of Nipton Jane Doe when I saw the pics.

Gene likes this.