1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Vanessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Vanessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NY NYC JOHN DOE: BM, 20-30 - June 1997- USMC "1st Force Recon - Death before Dishonor" tattoo *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

2. Kimster

I'm following someone on Twitter who is holding the candle for this UID. Let's help them find the answers!

https://twitter.com/JohnDoeHelpIDMe
    https://www.facebook.com/NYCJohnDoeFoundJune1997

From the Facebook:

I need your help. I was found deceased in 1997 in NYC and have still not been identified. Someone must remember me!

I was found on the southbound D train tracks at the 145th St and St. Nicholas Avenue Station in NYC on June 23, 1997.

I was thought to be between 20-30 years old, 5'7" in height, and I have brown eyes.

Was I a U.S. Marine? I have a very distinctive USMC tattoo on my upper left arm. It says " 1st Force Recon - Death before Dishonor".

Please help me find my way home!!

3. Dama

Dama Lagunas mentales

No one's contacted the Navy for a look at their files? His DNA is in their databank. My son was in the Navy & it's standard practice now. Surely someone must know.

DaisyChains, patsella and Lily like this.
  4. Kimster

They can't find him. Was he really in the Marines? Was the tattoo to honor someone else?

Here's a link to another forum where they discuss his case: http://www.socnet.com/archive/index.php/t-106675.html

FlandersFields, DaisyChains and Lily like this.
  5. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

Oh my! My husband is retired Army & a tattoo artist. My son is a former Marine. I'm going to say this man was a Marine. That tattoo is large for a memorial tattoo.

6. Dama

Dama Lagunas mentales

I can't imagine it being memorial but if it's not in the military database maybe he failed basic training? But it should still be there. Maybe it was a memorial, albeit a large one.

DaisyChains and Kimster like this.
  7. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

I showed the tattoo to my hubby. He says he was in the Marines. He said a memorial tattoo is going to have dates and/or initials. He's a tattoo artist right outside a military base

8. Kimster

Does your husband have any ideas as to why this man couldn't be identified through military records by now?

FlandersFields and DaisyChains like this.
  9. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

They weren't doing any kind of dna prior to 1997 when he was found deceased. (That was almost 20 years ago). If he was only in for the 4 years that a lot are when first signing up into the military, he may not be well known among the Marines. (Believe it it not, it's a close knit brotherhood).

FlandersFields, Lily and Kimster like this.
  10. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

My experience with the military and tattoos: (which is actually quite a bit). My son had to have his tattoos on ENTRY verified that they weren't "gang related" (he had a tribal at entry - 18 years old). That was in 2004. No other tattoos were documented during his service (which was 4 years....he was injured in Iraq & flown out of country to Ramstein Germany and deemed "non deployable" due to injuries. At age 22, he was 70% disabled by the VA). My husband retired (Army) in 1997 and his tattoos were documented upon entry and then not again until certain security clearance was being sought.

Working in a tattoo shop: last year, the Army (not the Marines, just Army) declared no NEW tattos above the neckline or below the elbow and knee. If you already had a tattoo in one of the areas declared off limits, it was okay, but they wouldn't know who had what until every soldier was documented. We were swamped at the tattoo shop with soldiers trying to get as much work done as possible before they were checked and documented. There are still some that are getting work completed because they haven't been documented yet.

So, you get documented upon entry, but after that it's hit or miss. It's not like you go get a tattoo and you have to go see your CO the next day to get it documenred. Some never get new tats documented during service

11. Kimster

That's great information! I read a lot about this doe when he was first listed at NamUs, but it's been a couple of years since I kept up. I don't remember reading this information before, its all new to me and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

12. Kimster

When this doe was first listed, we all thought he would be easy to identify. It's unreal that he's still on the UID list. :(

FlandersFields likes this.
  13. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

Sometimes it amazes me!

Kimster likes this.
  14. Kimster

@WindStorm, why can't he be identified via fingerprints?

15. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

Hmmm good question! The. Military does fingerprint you. Whether the share that info outside of jag, I'm not sure

FlandersFields and Kimster like this.
  16. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

Getting ready to go to bed, so I may be too tired. Is he in Namus???

17. Kimster

Yes. IIRC, that's now I learned about him, when he was first entered in NamUS.https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6814

I understand about being tired. I'm headed to the pillows now. Tomorrow is just another manic Monday. LOL

See you tomorrow! :hug:

:offtobed:

WindStorm likes this.
  18. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

Thanks for the link! I looked quickly last night and didn't see a case with the correct date. But, I was tired lol it says fingerprints are available and on file. It also says the tattoo is "elaborate". I can't imagine a tat that size and scope not being on somebody who had been active duty. Strange.

19. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

I'm still working on this man. He's been missing 18 years today. Here are requirements for Marine Force Recon:
    "
    Basic MARSOC/Force Recon Qualifications

• Be a U.S. citizen.
    • Score 105 or higher on the GT portion of the ASVAB.
    Tip: Scoring high on the ASVAB is key to being able to join an elite team like the Marine Corps' Force Recon. It also makes a difference when it comes to enlistment bonuses and choosing your MOS. Visit our Ace the ASVAB section to learn how to make sure you qualify for the bonuses and career options you deserve.

• Possess a 1st class swimmer qualification.
    • Obtain a first class score on the PFT.
    • Have 20/200 near visual acuity or visual acuity not to exceed 20/400 with a completed PRK eye surgery. Normal color vision is recommended, but not required provided the Marine can complete a vivid red and vivid green recognition test.
    • Complete Marine Rifleman Course.
    • Assigned as a primary Military Occupational Specialty to entry-level Marines and obtain a manager-approved lateral-move.
    • Marines who graduate from the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC).
    • Volunteers from any MOS may be certified for AMOS only by Recon unit commanders after attending the SRC or through MOJT at a BRC endorsed unit-training program to include 6 months in an MOS 0321 billet.
    • Be eligible for a secret security clearance.
    • Be selected for and graduate from the Marine Special Operations School (MSOS)."
    http://www.military.com/special-operations/joining-force-recon.html

(MOS - Military Occupational Specialty)

20. Kimster

@WindStorm, I saw a theory once where it said maybe his secret security clearance was at a level that makes it harder for even the Marines to know who he was?