1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NY NYC JOHN DOE: BM, 20-30 - June 1997- USMC "1st Force Recon - Death before Dishonor" tattoo *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Apr 14, 2015.

1. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

Hmmm, somebody woukd have to know his identity! He looks too young to have that kind of clearance.

I know from working in a tattoo shop outside a military base that soldiers all get together and decide to get tattoos. It's like a big tattoo party. Some come in and just pick flash art off the wall. I don't think there's really any way to just have an artist look at the tattoo and say "oh yeah, I remember doing that ink". But, this guy looks like he actually put some thought into his tattoo and it has meaning. I'm assuming he didn't have any other tattoos as there aren't any more listed. So, that gives this tattoo even more significance.

2. Advocate

Advocate Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

There have been a few people (ws) that have really taken his case on. They have done research, contacted military. It is thought that if he is military (most think he is a Marine but not recon) that he should have DNA in the military system; but there is no DNA on file with NamUs. His tattoo has always looked off to me. Where it says "death" the A looks like an R

The collection of DNA from Military Personnel
    [​IMG]

DaisyChains and Kimster like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Thanks!

There's also a Facebook for him and even Twitter!

It really surprises me he still hasn't been identified with all of the attention he's getting in the social media.

DaisyChains likes this.
  4. Advocate

I've shared his flier on NJ for the Federal Help Find the Missing Act - Billy's Law
    He was a member of our US military, or so his tattoo leads us to believe. He died in June of 1997. Yet, all these years later, nobody can tell us his name? He deserves to go home. Surely somebody knows who he is? Marines are brothers for life, or at least that is what they say. So finding his name should not be this hard.
    Here is his FB Page - John Doe - Who am I?
    NamUs UP #6814

Vital Statistics: Estimated age: 20-30 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 130 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Shaved head; brown eyes.
    Tattoos: Elaborate "USMC" tattoo in blue on left upper arm.
    Clothing: Navy t-shirt, size XL, gray cutoff sweatpants, black Levi jeans, size 34/30, tan or brown cloth belt, brown plaid jacket, size XL. White Fila sneakers, size 8.5.
    Dentals: Available
    Fingerprints: Available

Case History: The victim was located electrocuted on the third rail on the southbound D train tracks at the 145th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue Station.

If you have ANY information on John Doe or he looks at all familiar PLEASE contact the New York County Medical Examiners Office @ (212) 447-2770 or Lori Bruski, the Regional Administrator for NamUs @ (817)718-7904.

Please refer to the following case #'s:
    NamUs UP # 6814
    ME/C Case Number: M97-03611
    [​IMG]

Some research I did in the past. We know he passed in 97; would be nice if we can figure out how old the tat is. I'm not sure how long it would take to do a piece that size, but one sitting would do it. I feel he's about 28 years old; which would make him born around 1969. If he would have enlisted at 18, he would have done so around 1987. I have no military knowledge; would he have to have been a Marine 1st & how long? According to below; he would have been at San Diego Camp Pendleton in 1st Force Recon. I do not feel he was a recon. I've always felt that he wanted to be but didn't make it.

how to join the 1st force recon
    Marine Force Recon
    Force RECON Training - RECON Battalions remained as part of the USMC Divisions and continue to perform missions for the deployed USMC commander. BRC is open to Marines and Navy Hospital Corpsman.
    Once you complete your training, the following RECON commands will become your new home:
    • 1st Recon Battalion, 1st Marine Division, Camp Pendleton.
    • Force Recon Company, 1st Recon Battalion.
    • Force Recon Company, 2nd Recon Battalion.
    • 2nd Recon Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    • 3rd Recon Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, Okinawa, Japan.
    • 4th Recon Battalion (reserve), San Antonio, TX.
    • 3rd Force Recon Company (reserve), Mobile, AL.
    • 4th Force Recon Company (reserve), Alameda, CA.

patsella and Kimster like this.
  5. Kimster

Oh Wow @Advocate!!!

That's some great research! :clap:

6. Veteran Doe

Veteran Doe Active Member

Greeting! I'm new to this site.

This is a pet case of mine. That doesn't mean that I know a lot. It just means that I keep paying attention to it.

patsella, Advocate, Lily and 2 others like this.
  7. Kimster

:welcome:

:hithere:

Glad to have you with us!!!

8. Veteran Doe

I posted on Craigslist in Palm Springs about this guy today. That seemed to be the closest one to Twentynine Palms.
    I'd done that in NYC last year but never got anything out of it.
    He is on Instagram, Facebook in multiple areas, and Twitter.
    Black and Missing has him on their website and he's on Namus, etc. I've been writing blogs about him (just a couple) because I got frustrated with not getting anywhere.

So, from what I've learned
    The tattoo would have been done in Twentynine Palms.
    I'll bet money (and I'm not a betting girl) that he is a Marine.
    DOD was slow to move over fingerprint records to databases that local law enforcement could search. This was just because of the sheer number of print cards they had.
    His prints were run in NYC local and NY state databases. I do not know when they were run in any FBI database. I'm wondering is it was circa 1997 and so his prints weren't available yet from the DOD.
    I'm trying to find out more on the military fingerprint issue and warming up to adding him to other social media sites.
    The print issue tends to get in the way so I'm holding up a bit on some very active social sites to try to have a more intelligent answer about those.

9. Kimster

Do you need someone in that area to assist you? I know a couple of people in the general vicinity. Let me know what you'd like help with and I'll ask them if they are interested in getting involved with the case. :)

10. Veteran Doe

Sure! Most of his peers would be around 38 - 48 at this point so hopefully some of them are still out there, or live in the areas surrounding.

11. Kimster

Are you involved in the FB for him? I could tag them that way.

Advocate likes this.
  12. Advocate

13. Advocate

Welcome to Crime Watchers! You rock! You have managed to find the same tattoo finally! It's specific to one tattoo shop. If anyone wants to read about it, see her blog link above.
    I put an email into Pamela Reed because she's the one I know at NamUs; I told her about the new info and asked about getting his prints compared to military. She will get back to me when she has time. I then spoke to the gal that runs the FB Page - John Doe - Who am I? She seems to think his prints were lost in hurricane Sandy

GarAndMo49 and SoSueMe like this.
  14. Veteran Doe

Namus says they have the prints so I assume they do. They did change the dental status on his profile there a few months ago so maybe those were lost.

patsella and Advocate like this.
  15. Advocate

Pam hasn't gotten back to me yet but I will ask when she does

Veteran Doe likes this.
  16. Veteran Doe

Thanks!

I'm hoping he is in the new FBI Next Generation database or the Dept. Of Homeland Security database. Both of those contain many prints that were not available for searching circa 1997.

I wish we had a name though. I ran a Facebook ad over the holidays for $20 and targeted Twentynine Palms. It didn't amount to any new leads but he may have been there for training and not stationed there.

GarAndMo49 and Advocate like this.
  17. Advocate

I'll try to write a new narrative for his album on Never Forget Me to include the Twentynine Palms & FL training once I. Grandson is still sick too then my friend can share him in groups again. I can alsop try to change his tag location too

18. Advocate

Can you tell I'm not feeling well? Been sick since a few days before christmas.

I'll try to write a new narrative for his album on Never Forget Me to include the Twentynine Palms & FL training once I feel better. Grandson is still sick too. Then my friend can share him in groups again. I can also try to change his location tag too from NY to Twentynine Palms or the FL location. If someone searches the locations on FB; it will show his album

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  19. Veteran Doe

Ok, feel better!!

Advocate likes this.
  20. Kimster

The holidays have put me behind as well. We go on vacation this time of year.

Veteran Doe and Advocate like this.