1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NY NYC JOHN DOE: BM, 20-30 - June 1997- USMC "1st Force Recon - Death before Dishonor" tattoo *GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Veteran Doe

Veteran Doe Active Member

Thank you for looking.

I'm looking at my FB feed. Maybe I pulled it off a missing page from there. UGH!

DaisyChains, spike and Kimster like this.
  2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Dang! That looks like the same guy. Hold on, I have a resource to check for you.

DaisyChains, spike and Veteran Doe like this.
  3. Kimster

4. Veteran Doe

Oh, this is going to make be batty. I went on a trip that weekend for a week so either I found something that made it an unlikely match, or, I parked it in that folder to look at later and never did. That should be his name though. I always name the comparison pics the MP's name. I'll be damned if I can find him though.

DaisyChains, Advocate and spike like this.
  5. Veteran Doe

As the mother of a US Marine and (in 2 weeks) also the mother of a US Marine Recruit - my Mother's Day was just made a little extra special thanks to Harlem World Magazine! My hat goes off to them!

Score 1 for this mom. NYC media has been a very tough nut to crack and these guys/gals were very gracious.

http://harlemworldmag.com/help-find-military-veteran-harlem-john-doe-warning/

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

That's great!!!!

I just spent 20 minutes typing Doe's info to my FB page, the entire post has just disappeared!!! AAAAghhh!!!!!

Veteran Doe, Advocate and spike like this.
  7. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Something just occurred to me. Could John Doe be from Puerto Rico, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands and have enlisted in the Marines from one of those places? Technically, those places are part of the U. S.

8. Advocate

Advocate Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Happy mothers day and congrats for getting the article written! I updated his album on Never Forget Me with the new tat info and shared it. Sorry I have not been online much this year to have done it already.

9. Advocate

I uploaded to google image search with no results. I also did a google search for William missing from Vancouver Washington with no luck on images there either.

10. Veteran Doe

Good thought! I never look at missing persons from outside the 50 states.

DaisyChains, spike and Advocate like this.
  11. Advocate

Do we still think he had EOD training which would have been done at Eglin FL base?
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge wiki link -

12. Advocate

Emailed Pamela Reed to ask if she can check his prints against the FBI Next Generation database or the Dept. Of Homeland Security database. When I originally emailed her 12/9/15 she told me that she just started working with NCIS on missing navy and marines but that she's been really busy with unpaid over time.

DaisyChains, Kimster, spike and 2 others like this.
  13. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

I have some cousins who are former military in branches other than the Navy, as well as the Navy. ( I have LOTS of cousins-LOL) . I have forwarded Doe's info to them- cousins have buddies in various branches who are also former military.

14. Advocate

Thanks for sharing my post

15. Sunburst

Sunburst Bronze Member

Are we sure this John Doe is American? Could he be Canadian military instead? According to Wikipedia, there's a whole bunch of Canadian battalions for Canadian versions of Army, Navy, and Air force. Canada does not have a version of USMC. I found YouTube videos that showed Canadian military crosstraining with their American counterparts at Camp Pendleton in 2010. I couldn't find any mention of crosstraining in 1980s 1990s, but video of that might not be available if the 2 countries crosstrained then. Maybe a Canadian battalion was at 29 Palms or San Diego....

DaisyChains and spike like this.
  16. Advocate

Yes, we're sure he was in our military and sure he was Force Recon. Veteran Doe and I are trying to get his prints run in military databases. It's our only shot as there is no DNA.

I have a friend that has been volunteering her time, entering the Hart Island burials to the online database. I spoke to her the other day, she managed to find his page. Link to Hart Island online burial record

Male Unknown - Date of death 06-23-1997
    Permit date 07-07-1997
    Burial date 07-24-1997
    Plot 262 - Section II Grave 44

17. Advocate

John "1st Force Recon Marine" Doe Find A Grave
    Links are in bolded words..
    Veteran Doe Blog - Harlem Marine John Doe - Camp Pendleton: 7th Engineer Support Battalion EOD Company?
    Here are some thoughts about this case.
    • Based on his age range his likely dates of service would have been somewhere in the 1985- 1997 years.
    • He was likely very recently separated from the US Marine Corps since he is not on any AWOL lists.
    • 7Th ESB (Engineer Support Battalion), which includes EOD Company, was deployed to Iraq and Somalia.
    • 1st Force Recon and EOD were both in Camp Pendleton.
    This John Doe was found deceased in a Harlem New York City subway station June 23, 1997.

Due to some recent sharing of our other blog posting (thank you so much everyone!) it has been discovered that he would have been in Twentynine Palms, between 1994 and 1996. It is unknown if he was stationed in 29 Palms California, or, if he simply had a short visit for training or other purposes.

With the age range max of 30 his oldest year of birth may be 1967. Working with that year of birth would make him 18 in 1985. So, his likely active duty time would have been between 1985 and 1997.

His main page is here

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Sunburst and Kimster like this.
  18. Advocate

Never Forget Me shared their album -Published 1 hr ago - https://www.facebook.com/WeWontForgetThem/posts/1376281205719246
    Link to album - Harlem NY - AA male age 20-30 USMC 1st force Recon tat 6/23/1997
    19 YEARS YESTERDAY, DO YOU RECOGNIZE THIS MARINE? African American male age 20-30, found electrocuted on the third rail on the southbound D train tracks at the 145th St and St. Nicholas Avenue Station June 23, 1997 in Harlem NY - He had an elaborate 1st force Recon, USMC Eagle Globe Anchor (EGA) tattoo that was an exclusive design done by a tattoo shop in Twentynine Palms California between 1994 and 1996. More research by Veteran Doe shows that he was part of the First Force Recon stationed in the Pacific so it is likely he went to boot camp in Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego and not Parris Island so his family/friends may be on the west coast. He likely spent time in Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton as 1st Force Recon and EOD were both in Camp Pendleton. Based on his age range his likely dates of service would have been somewhere in the 1985-1997 years. He was likely very recently separated from the US Marine Corps since he is not on any AWOL lists. 7Th ESB (Engineer Support Battalion), which includes EOD Company, was deployed to Iraq and Somalia. READ BELOW FOR ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT HIS TATTOO!

Kimster and Paradise like this.
  19. Advocate

Carl reworked his recon. I love how his tat looks next to his recon, I believe Carl darkened it to show detail.

We now have a custom link to his album on Never Forget Me http://fbl.me/1stForceReconMarine

Veteran Doe feels he may have worn glasses because there is a burn mark where a nose piece would be. We're looking into what military issue glasses he may have worn back then, then will see if Carl can do a 2nd version with glasses. Praying this is the year he's identified! I have a really good feeling about it.

6272016CarlReconFinal.jpg

20. Kimster

Advocate likes this.