1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Officer Katlyn Alix, 24, killed during game of Russian roulette

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by Skitt, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Skitt

Skitt Bronze Member

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...dLwjnF1RelVyxfQ3N_5XEznE_NPlUJbLHeKAtnoXD7Z28

ST. LOUIS • A police officer who shot and killed another officer early Thursday was charged Friday with involuntary manslaughter and armed criminal action, both felonies.

Officer Nathaniel R. Hendren, 29, is accused in the shooting of Officer Katlyn Alix, 24, while they were playing with a gun.

According to the statement of probable cause, Hendren and Alix were playing with firearms. Hendren took all the bullets out of a revolver and then put one back in. He spun the cylinder, pointed it away and pulled the trigger.

The gun did not fire, court records say. Alix then took the gun, pointed it at Hendren and pulled the trigger. Hendren then took the gun again and pulled the trigger. This time it fired, striking Alix in the chest, records say.

Alix was taken to St. Louis University Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Hendren was on duty, as was his partner, also 29, who was not identified. Both men were described as close friends and frequent partners of Alix while patrolling the Second District.

Alix, who was off duty, went to Hendren’s home in the 700 block of Dover Street in the Carondelet neighborhood.

Hendren and his partner were working a late shift Wednesday and attended roll call at their station along Sublette Avenue, a source said. Investigators believe that shortly after roll call, they went to Hendren’s house, a source told the Post-Dispatch.

The house is about two miles from the southeastern border of the district they were supposed to be patrolling. Under department policy, on-duty officers are required to remain in their assigned districts at all times.

Officers are required to “constantly patrol his/her beat, except when on special assignments and shall not lounge, loaf or gather with others at any place,” according to the “Responsibilities of the District Police Officers” section of the police manual.

At some point, Alix arrived at the house. She was off duty. The partner told investigators that he told Hendren and Alix they should not be playing with guns, and reminded them they were police officers. He said he didn’t want any part of it and started to leave, but before he got outside, he heard a shot.

Hendren and his partner reported the shooting on their police radios at 12:56 a.m. Thursday and loaded Alix into their police department SUV, taking her to the hospital.

At the hospital, Hendren head-butted the back windshield of a police SUV parked nearby, breaking it, sources said. He suffered minor injuries to his head, and remained hospitalized, sources said.

The police department refused to confirm that Hendren was hospitalized, how the window to the SUV was shattered or any other details about the case. Chief John Hayden said in a five-minute news conference early Thursday that the department believed it was “accidental,” but has not elaborated. In a news release issued later Thursday, the department wrote that the officer “mishandled” the weapon.

Public Safety Director Jimmie Edwards said Friday that Hayden’s statement was based on the information they had initially. Hayden, he said, had been “very forthright in terms of transparency and accountability, but these situations oftentimes change and when investigations are done, these situations will change, it’s been very fluid.”

More at link

2. Skitt

Skitt Bronze Member

3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Did these officers lose their minds!? :eek:

Whatsnext, daisy7, GarAndMo49 and 3 others like this.
  4. spike

spike Bronze Member

DH read this to me.
    What in the sam hill????
    Were they on meds? Drunk?
    Love triangle?
    Suicide pact?

Mel70, Whatsnext, GarAndMo49 and 4 others like this.
  5. Skitt

Skitt Bronze Member

I am dumbfounded that officers would even attempt such a stupid thing. And two were on duty??? I hope we find out the whys behind this.

6. Skitt

Skitt Bronze Member

https://people.com/crime/cop-charge...utm_content=012819&cid=332763&mid=18125426864

On Friday, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kimberly M. Gardner said in a statement that Nathaniel Hendren, 29, has been charged in the death of Katlyn Alix, 24.

Statement by StLouisCityCA and charges regarding the homicide of officer Katlyn Alix:

BED296C1-8EC5-40CD-9E78-0F4DA0B34DC4.jpeg

83A0A0C0-7925-4204-B025-0E5695B18C63.jpeg

The shooting took place early Thursday morning, according to the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department. Alix, who was a military veteran and a patrol officer in her second year on the force, was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

"At this point based upon the evidence, my office filed at-large charges against SLMPD officer Nathaniel Hendren for involuntary manslaughter, first degree. It’s a class C felony, for a term not less than three years and not to exceed ten years,” she said. “I have said this many times before; I will hold people accountable who violate Missouri law regardless of their profession, public status or station in life. Today, as much as it saddens my staff and me to file these charges, Katlyn and her family deserve accountability and justice.”

Garner further stated that while she couldn’t disclose any additional information about the ongoing investigation, “we will do whatever is necessary to get to the truth of this incident.”

Hendren was booked and later released from custody, PEOPLE confirmed with the Missouri Department of Corrections

Hendren was automatically provided an attorney by the St. Louis Police Association to represent him in the internal affairs investigation, but the association’s board would have to vote on whether to provide him with an attorney in the pending criminal case, according to a statement from the association to PEOPLE. “Officer Hendren has not requested such coverage nor has such coverage been approved,” the statement said.

It could not be determined if Hendren has otherwise obtained an attorney in the criminal case who might speak on his behalf.

A G-FM account, which was created by one of Alix’s former partners in order to raise money to funeral expenses, has already exceeded its goal of $5,000. As of Monday, the campaign had raised $8,450.

7. Cousin Dupree

Cousin Dupree Platinum Member

There's something hinky about that story.

GatorD, Whatsnext, Skitt and 2 others like this.
  8. spike

spike Bronze Member

IKR?!

9. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

That being said...were there any witnesses to this "game" or is that just his story? I see that his partner was there but that's not a very unbiased witness...

And what drugs were they on?

"Mishandled" is not the appropriate term for this. That implies it accidentally fired. "Being a damn idiot" with a weapon would be better.

10. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

I REALLY don't like the "fact" that the victim, Ms. Alix, is being labeled as the first person to point the gun at another person- she can't speak for herself, and I don't trust the 2 guys speaking for her. JMO.

Dobrev, Kimster, GatorD and 7 others like this.
  11. NOCLUE

NOCLUE Bronze Member

It kind of sounds to me like this was the best "story" these guys could come up with...:doh:
    :mad:

12. Cousin Dupree

:good:

Skitt, Whatsnext, NOCLUE and 2 others like this.
  13. spike

spike Bronze Member

Totally agreed.
    I wonder if she had something on one or both of them?
    Or was being harassed?
    This story is a cover up, imo.

GatorD, Skitt, Whatsnext and 4 others like this.
  14. Nagatha Christie

Nagatha Christie Well-Known Member

I gotta agree. This makes no sense for so many reasons.This is not merely"mishandling" a weapon. Cops, above all others, should have the utmost care and respect for weapons. They have been trained. They have seen what guns do to the human body. They know the laws and the consequences of the laws that were broken here. Some pretty hinky stuff going on because they were on duty yet blatantly went out of their district to go to the partners house to meet up with an newlywed (iirc) officer who is not on duty.

Why? What drew the officers to meet up there with her at that time? I know i sure as hell aint going to plan to meet up with a quick game of russian roulette with friends anywhere, anytime EVER!!! So why did they meet up there? What was so important that it took place when they were supposed to be doing their damn jobs(except Alix who was off duty but knew the others were on duty.)

Skitt, Whatsnext, NOCLUE and 3 others like this.
  15. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Again assuming the "Russian Roulette" story is actually how it went down...I want to know what his plan was if it had gone the other way. Have his partner claim she shot him in cold blood? Was his plan to get shot all along, hence smashing his head into the car window?

I keep running this through my head over and over. None of it makes sense. At all. Unless drugs were involved, and I suspect they were. But still just absolutely crazy.

Occam's Razor - The simplest "common sense" solution is most likely the correct one. And this ain't it.

Dobrev, Cousin Dupree, Skitt and 3 others like this.
  16. NOCLUE

NOCLUE Bronze Member

Good theories! :good:

GarAndMo49, Cousin Dupree and Skitt like this.
  17. Cousin Dupree

The problem I have with that is the simplest answer doesn't make any sense. Anyone who owns a firearm knows that you don't play Russian Roulette. Especially those trained as deeply in firearms as police officers. To me the simplest answer is that he shot her for some other reason. JMO

18. spike

spike Bronze Member

Agreed.

GarAndMo49, NOCLUE and Cousin Dupree like this.
  19. Cousin Dupree

Spikey agreed with me on something! :thud:

20. spike

spike Bronze Member

I agreed with Cuz. :thud: