1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Vic OWEN REDMAN: Missing from Brunswick, Vic - 21 Feb 1991 - Age 25

Discussion in 'Australia: Missing & Unidentified' started by Kimster, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

If I go missing, I want you in my corner, that's what I'm saying! :hug:

2. Dylan Redman

Dylan Redman Active Member

At this point to be honest, I am struggling to keep hope alive that I might see Owen again so the greater objective for me is to help others either have hope that they might find their missing family member OR encourage people who are thinking of 'disappearing' to think again about doing something rash and instead seek help.

3. Kimster

Were you able to find out ways to be involved with this week's National Missing Person's Week discussions? Did the media contact you about Owen?

Dylan Redman, MissyMoo and Lily like this.
  4. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

This is an aspect of missing persons that doesn't get talked about very much, despite that many people, especially teenagers, go missing voluntarily for one reason or another. I think it's a painful and difficult thing to talk about for many people, where talking and being heard are so essential for everyone concerned. I think there's this perception that if somebody leaves voluntarily, it somehow should matter less, that family should worry less when there's no contact, that runaways are somehow in less danger than other vulnerable kids, etc.

I think turning this all to something positive and helpful for others is just amazing. :hug:

5. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Thats it.
    Same goes for me Dylan.

:)

6. Dylan Redman

I have been contacted pretty much every Missing Person's Week by a local paper or journo. Nothing much (from what I perceived...until now reading the comments above...) had come of it until this year when one of Owen's old friends heard Loren from MPAN and Meshel Laurie on NOVA talking about Owen's case and he made contact with me.

7. Dylan Redman

Granted I am persistent in the face of the obvious adversity of this situation....and I would hate to think of anyone else going through this... so I keep looking for Owen

8. Dylan Redman

Missing persons is inherently a fairly unappealing thing for people to talk about or for the media to get involved in because it is usually messy and unfortunately does not often have a happy. I have reached out to pretty much every current affairs show and related media BUT they are not interested because perhaps they feel that there may not be any resolution or isn't sensational enough...and therefore will not provide the 'feel good' factor for their viewers. I don't know....but I would love it if ACA or a similar show could pick it and do something on Owen's story.

Outside of that...I would also love to get the opportunity to go into schools and tell Owen's story in the hope that it would stop other people from allowing themselves to disappear or be vulnerable to going missing....MORE so to encourage people to seek help when things are tough and know that there is always help in times of need and that things are never hopeless. I have hope and I would love to share that hope with others.

9. Kimster

This is a huge result! A friend of Owen will be more apt to spread the word to people and hopefully other friends will do the same.

Are you saying that after 23 years they still didn't know? That just goes to show how these cold cases need to continue to be shared.

10. Dylan Redman

Who's Aaron?

After 24 years Owen's friend had no idea

GarAndMo49, MissyMoo and Lily like this.
  11. Kimster

Where are you looking? My autocorrect said "Aaron" and I switched it to Owen! You caught me! :doh:

MissyMoo and Dylan Redman like this.
  12. Dylan Redman

Auto-correct is a govt conspiracy to rob us of our ability to spell :)
    I turn it off :)

MissyMoo, Kimster, Lily and 1 other person like this.
  13. Takeitfromme

Takeitfromme Professional Journalist/News Reporter

@Dylan Redman I could not agree more. As a journalist most of what I type I mean,,,, I do not need an electronic device to choose my vocabulary for me :pullhair:

14. Dylan Redman

15. Takeitfromme

Takeitfromme Professional Journalist/News Reporter

:)hahaha!!!!

MissyMoo, Dylan Redman and Kimster like this.
  16. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

@Dylan Redman - I was wondering whether you'd feel okay about maybe posting one or two happy memories of your brother.

17. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Hi Dylan....apologies for being late joining the thread....a belated welcome to CrimeWatchers and thankyou for posting Owen's story.

A long time back I read an article by an Inspector of police discussing missing person cases. I've always remembered some of his words....."to have a loved one go missing is one of the worst forms of torture known to man".

Even if it's now diminishing, hold tight to that hope that Owen may eventually be found.

[​IMG]

18. Dylan Redman

I love the quote at the bottom.....miracles do happen. I hope I get one.

It is torturous indeed....what if? Not my favourite question.

I did a 500+ km Walk for Owen last year.....I am going to do another one this year. This site has made me feel like I am alone and has inspired me to keep searching for Owen :)

19. Kimster

You are certainly not alone! As you walk, picture us walking with you as a spiritual group! I live across the pond or else I would come walk with you! Maybe another miracle will happen and I will end up in Oz and able to walk with you next year. That would be wonderful!

20. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

This is very interesting news!....

Victoria Police announce dedicated Missing Persons Squad

14 August 2015

Victoria Police has announced the establishment of a dedicated Missing Persons Squad to monitor reported missing persons and investigate all suspicious missing persons in Victoria.

“Some of the cases are quite old and will benefit from having dedicated resources to continue the investigation with a fresh perspective,” A/Commander Guenther said.

“The squad will seek to further develop the working relationships with interstate and federal policing agencies and explore the use of social media to gain more coverage for outstanding suspicious missing person cases.”

The Missing Persons Squad, which will be part of Crime Command, will work with regional police to ensure a consistent standard in relation to all missing person cases. Non-suspicious missing persons will continue to be investigated by police at a regional level.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/new...announce-dedicated-missing-persons-squad.html

Full report copied to a new thread....

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...icated-missing-persons-squad.1757/#post-30523

MissyMoo, GarAndMo49, Lily and 2 others like this.