1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NY PATRICK ALFORD: Missing from Brooklyn, NY - 22 Jan 2010 - Age 7

Discussion in 'Missing 2010 to 2014' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Apr 14, 2015.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

7-year-old Patrick Kennedy Alford had just moved in with a foster family 3 weeks prior to disappearing on January 22, 2010. He disappeared from his Vandalia Ave. apartment complex while taking out the trash. At first, LE called this 7-year-old child a "runaway". Now they say he may have been abducted.

patrick 7 9 11.jpg

Patrick Alford
    Date of disappearance - January 22, 2010
    Time of disappearance - 9:00 pm
    Place of disappearance - Spring Creek development in the Starrett City section of Brooklyn, NY (130 Vandalia Ave.)
    Last seen wearing - Red t-shirt, blue jeans, blue and black Michael Jordan sneakers

NCMEC Poster - http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1139843/1
    NamUs - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5427/1/
    Charley Project - http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/alford_patrick.html
    Facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/283868564617/

Info about the area from which Patrick disappeared:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrett_City,_Brooklyn

According to Family Watchdog, there are about 40 sex offenders within a mile of this address. There are over 1,000 sex offenders within 5 miles.

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/patrick-alford-missing-from-brooklyn-ny.27/

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
    Lily, noZme, MissyMoo and 4 others like this.
  2. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I have just about every article saved from Patrick's disappearance if anyone has any questions on specifics or quotes. Here are some "highlights". Click on title to view link/story.

26 Jan. 2010 Judge jails mother, believes she knows location of 7-year-old Patrick Alford
    2 Feb. 2010 Brooklyn mom suspected in case of missing son, 7, released from jail after lie detector test
    28 Feb. 2010 New 'Etan' fear: Cops suspect worst for little Patrick
    28 Sept. 2010 Little boy lost and nobody's manning up
    12 Oct. 2010 New Brighton mom reportedly sues city after son disappears from foster home
    23 Jan. 2011 Patrick Alford: Missing Brooklyn 7-year-old gone one year

21 Mar. 2011 Judge orders city, ACS to ID case workers who monitored still-missing boy, 7
    22 Mar. 2011 Missing Boy: NYC police believe missing boy may be in Cleveland-area
    3 Apr. 2011 Dad sues city over missing son
    5 Dec. 2011 Foster Fiasco: Boy on run two years after ‘bungle’
    17 Jan. 2012 Dad of missing Staten Island boy Patrick Alford shot in head

29 May 2012 Ray Kelly Hopes Etan Patz Case Will Help Cops Find Patrick Alford

10 Mar. 2013 Staten Island mom has given up hope of seeing her son, Patrick Alford, alive

24 Feb. 2014 Four Years Later Search For Missing Boy, Patrick Alford, May Be Heating Up

21 Jan. 2015 Police to comb south Brooklyn, Staten Island in search of Patrick Alford, a troubled young boy who vanished 5 years ago
    22 Jan. 2015 NYPD detective still hopes missing boy Patrick Alford Jr. will be found alive
    22 Jan. 2015 The story so far: After 5 years, search for missing New Brighton boy Patrick Alford continues

STEADFAST, rachxbuddha, Lily and 8 others like this.
  4. Scoobie

Scoobie Director Staff Member

Thank you for starting a thread on this sweet child.

STEADFAST, noZme, GarAndMo49 and 5 others like this.
  5. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

@SheWhoMustNotBeNamed - please tell me that is a typo - over 1000 sex offenders within five miles of where Patrick lived???
    :thud:

6. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Unfortunately no, that was not a typo.
    Here is a picture of the area that I pulled up just now from Family Watchdog.

Attached Files:

STEADFAST, rachxbuddha, fran and 3 others like this.
  7. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

I remember when he disappeared! Back then I felt certain a 7 year old usually doesn't run away, I feel the same today. So glad to hear his case is being kept alive!!!

8. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

O MY G :thud::sniffle:

9. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

SWMNBN,
    Thanks for all the articles! Do you know, by any chance, if the ACS workers involved were disciplined at all for their roles in this case? I'm outraged over many issues, but it seems they shoulder a fair amount of responsibility here. JMHO.

10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I doubt any ACS workers were disciplined. I never heard or read about anything. There is/was the lawsuit filed by Patrick's parents, but that hasn't gone anywhere.
    The foster mother was not really disciplined either. It was reported that she did "stop receiving new children" into her care for a while, but that was about the extent of it.

11. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

And we wonder why this crap keeps happening? :banghead:

12. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Seven year olds dont run away do they? I was scared of the dark still at 7 years plus werent you? It would have been dark already at 9pm yes? @SheWhoMustNotBeNamed ? Even with daylight savings herein Australia (over the summer months when the clocks go back manually an hour so making the days seem *longer* it would still b dark at 9pm). This is no good. 7 years is still a baby who should have been tucked up in warm bed by that time of evening? Im off to read the links :( poor Patrick.

13. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

I should have asked seven year olds dont run away do they? and added Unless they are not as afraid of the dark as they are afraid of what else is going on in their lives. :banghead:

GarAndMo49, noZme, MadgeS and 2 others like this.
  14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

You're right. 7-year-olds don't run away. They do what they think is running away, hide somewhere or go a few blocks away, and then they're back where they're supposed to be when they get hungry or when it gets dark.

However, that being said, Patrick was said to be in a horrible emotional state. My thoughts are that he DID try to "run away" or get back to his mother. But he was 7. He most likely wouldn't have the means or ability to do this.

His scent was traced toward the Belt Parkway. There is a bus stop in that area. Perhaps he tried to get on that bus. They did interview 28 bus drivers and 7 Brooklyn car service employees, which apparently didn't give them any solid leads. Perhaps he was abducted from the area. But that's one heck of a "crime of opportunity" for a perp. Just happen to see a young boy alone as it's getting dark. Perhaps he got lost and died of exposure. But then I feel like he would have been found by now.

I just don't know at all.

GarAndMo49, noZme, MissyMoo and 3 others like this.
  15. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

The star is Patrick's foster home. There are several bus stops in the area. His scent was traced toward the Belt Parkway, south of there.

map still.jpg

map still 2.jpg

Uno2Much, GarAndMo49, noZme and 4 others like this.
  16. Scoobie

I wonder if they do still conduct searches. I wonder if his mom got her chit together and is focusing on keeping the rest of her family together while she continues the search for Patrick.

A 7-year old, running loose at that time of night would raise the eyebrows of decent folks. I think Patrick was pretty astute for his age, because it seems he didn't have the best home life. Kids figure out how to survive against the odds. Even still, at 7, he would have found a way back to his loved ones, if possible. IIRC, he had an aunt, a grandmother and maybe an uncle that he could have turned too, or may have gone looking for. I don't remember all the little details now. I'll have to go back and re-read.

Prayers that you come home soon, Patrick.

GarAndMo49, noZme, MissyMoo and 4 others like this.
  17. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

I don't know what to make of things. A little 7 year old grabbed by a predator could easily happen. :(

Uno2Much, noZme, MissyMoo and 2 others like this.
  18. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Thank you @SheWhoMustNotBeNamed for linking Patrick in. You know this whole Family Watchdog thing intrigues me no end. Are you in The States? We (we meaning Australia do not have this register that ive searched for and cannot find) @Lily ? And @MarlyWings Is this correct? From what i know in the past we seem to protect not highlight our registered offenders?

19. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Yep @MissyMoo I'm in the States. From a bit of Googling, it looks like the Australian sex offender registry is not open to the public.

Unfortunately they haven't done any searches recently. At least none that were public knowledge. On the 5th anniversary of his disappearance, they passed out flyers and canvassed the area, but no real searches.
    From my limited following on Facebook (I'm friends with his dad), looks like her life is about the same as it was. Don't think she has custody of her kids. There are several Facebook pages for Patrick. His dad is involved and posts on them. Same with his aunt and other members of his family. Haven't seen his mom on there once.

GarAndMo49, Lily, MadgeS and 3 others like this.
  20. Scoobie

Thanks for that information, SheWho. I'll have to do a search on facebook and see what I can see. So glad to know that you are actively following this case. I know you follow many and with time being what it is, I know it's hard to keep up. I'm glad to know that you are following this one.