1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

MO PEMISCOT COUNTY JOHN DOE: WM, 25-35, found aside I-55 in MO - June 1978 *Jimmy Hendricks *

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Kimster, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

[​IMG]
    1978 - Pemiscot County Missouri and Blytheville Arkansas

On June 17, 1978, the body of a white male was found aside I-55 in Pemiscot County Missouri. He had been shot three times.

On the same day, the body of a white female was found aside I-55 near the Burdette exit in Blytheville (Mississippi County) Arkansas, 12 miles south of where the male was found. She also had been shot.

Both persons were seen together at a at a Blytheville truck stop restaurant called Scotty's earlier that day. According to investigators, a woman who worked at Scotty's remembered seeing the couple. She saw the woman with a backpack and bedding and told her she had to take that outside, because it was not allowed inside. She said they were dressed neatly for hitch hikers.

The last time they were seen alive was by a trucker who saw them walking down the interstate.

The male is estimated to have been between 25 and early 30s. He stood about 5 feet 8 inches tall, and weighed about 130 - 140 lbs. He had a fair complexion and freckles, and had a tattoo of the letters "J.H." on his outer right forearm. He also had a large vertical curving scar on his forehead running from his hairline to his eyebrows. He was wearing a red pullover short sleeve shirt with a circle printed on the chest. Inside the circle was a picture of a dark haired female with the words "Hot Sauce" underneath. He was also wearing "Pentimento" brand blue jeans and brown lace-up work boots (size 9 or 10),

The female is estimated to be between 18-25 years old. She stood about 5 feet 2 inches tall and weighed approximately 125 pounds. She had light brown hair, 4-6 inches in length. She had the name "Kim" crudely tattooed on her right arm. She was found clothed wearing a multi-colored striped blouse, blue jeans and she wore a silver chain necklace with a mercury dime pendant with a hole in it. She had given birth at some point.

Unfortunately, much of the case file of clues is severely damaged. A flood in Mississippi County, Arkansas damaged many morgue photos, witness statements, fingerprints, and more.

However, authorities have recently re-opened the case in a renewed attempt to identify the two victims, and/or their killer.

But as of now, 36 years after these two persons' deaths, they remain UNIDENTIFIED. (by ckoppelman)

***WARNING WARNING!!! GRAPHIC PHOTOS AT LINK!!!***
    http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MS.../Documents/PemiscotCountyUnidentifiedMale.pdf

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...amiliar-killed-in-arkansas-missouri-1978.491/

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    Dama and Lily like this.
  2. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

So there is likely no DNA for the UIDs?

Connie Minchaca (17) ran away with her boyfriend (in his 20's) about 2 weeks before the UIDs were found.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/minchaca_connie.html

She's the only person I could find closely matching the UID in the post mortem interval. Unfortunately the name of her BF she ran away with is not provided. Perhaps something bad happened to them both :(

Attached Files:

Dama likes this.
  3. Kimster

Dama, Advocate and DaisyChains like this.
  4. DaisyChains

Dama likes this.
  5. Kimster

Found her!

Here's the rule outs:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
    Teresa Cupps 1958 Oklahoma
    Teresa Cupps 1958 Oklahoma
    Sandra Fisher 1947 Kentucky
    Melanie Flynn 1952 Kentucky
    Jamie Grissim 1955 Washington
    Margaret Hayes 1954 Indiana

https://identifyus.org/cases/5158

Dama and DaisyChains like this.
  6. DaisyChains

Ah found it! She was listed in Mississippi.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5158

Connie is not on the rule outs, but the UID and Connie both have DNA submitted so I'm assuming it's not a match. Hm.

Dama and Kimster like this.
  7. DaisyChains

Jinx and ditto! :p

Dama and Kimster like this.
  8. Kimster

Yeah, a big fat HMMMM. I want to look further....

ETA: Wouldn't they have mentioned it if Connie had a tattoo of "Kim" on her arm? The BF's name wasn't Kim, was it? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

9. DaisyChains

The UID had given birth before or had been pregnant before I believe. Maybe it was the name of her child!? Just popped in my head! I was wondering the same thing last night.

Is there someone named Kim/Kimberly in Mississippi or Arkansas that is missing her mommy? Kim/Kimberly, if the UIDs daughter, might be in her 30's or 40's by now!

Also another reason to probably rule out Connie as this UID - we were not informed of a 17 year old Connie ever having given birth or having a child.

I kind of feel like much can be gathered from looking into this Kim/Kimberly angle. I mean, if Kim/Kimberly is still out there maybe we can help track her down or put something out in the media to get her attention!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Kimster likes this.
  10. Kimster

11. DaisyChains

Also this case kind of reminds me of the Sumnter County Does of South Carolina in 1976 2 years prior. What interests me also is that Blytheville AR and Sumter SC were pretty big airforce towns at the time. Furthermore, the victims were similar in that they seemed to take care of themselves relatively well (didn't look like worn hitchhikers to a witness who claimed to see them), but also seemed to be traveling and had stuff with them. This makes me wonder if they had arrived via plane from somewhere.

I know this is a rabbit hole, but bare with me:

What if not only these victims but also the Sumter County Does helped traffic something around the U.S. (And South America etc) via plane or helped with an operation that used military planes/military airports to do the dirty work?

This did happen in the 70's. I have personal knowledge of the military airports being used to traffic. Will Not go further into how I know this.

The Sumter county Does were said to have possibly been seen at a store there in SC with a man who bought items with a government/FBI card or ID (something official like this)

Something SO fishy. The files were destroyed by a flood in this AR case? That's richly convenient. Something Bigger and with a network even involving some LE at that time in local jurisdictions was going on JMO. I'm usually not a conspiracy theorist, but when it comes to the drug "war" of the 70's that many higher ups in the FBI/CIA were involved in (think $$$) Well let's just say in my mind so much is possible. Jmo.

Dama, Lily, Advocate and 1 other person like this.
  12. DaisyChains

Working off my theory that this is maybe involved with international trafficking and members of Govt... I'm wondering about this 22 year old mother of 2 - a Canadian government worker - who mysteriously walked out of her home with her coat on and likely got into a car on the roadway to never be seen again. I wonder what her children's names were? Could one be Kim?

Edited: just seeing now her daughter is named Jessica. Shoot. Still maybe she knew someone named Kim. Idk.

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=27111a75-5a35-428a-9f82-d9ac9662fc1a

http://www.nampn.org/cases/bourne_diane.html

With this case Im probably going to be checking Canadian missing persons a lot. Who knows maybe the victims only knew each other through a trade and perhaps the male came from an entirely different place than the female UID before they both were left along roadways miles apart from each other.

Attached Files:

Dama likes this.
  13. DaisyChains

Here's Gary of Little Rock, AR. Went missing a year before our UID, but vitals and location are good as well as his overall look. Also he had been in a crash previously and perhaps that could account for the UIDs scar above his eye? Though NO SCAR is noted above the eye on Gary's report linked below. Hm. Will try to find the NamUs page for the John Doe in this case to see if Gary has been ruled out:

http://www.nampn.org/cases/mullinax_gary.html

Though Gary was a family man and typically wouldn't leave his family behind, perhaps he felt if he stayed they were in danger or someone could find him at his home there. Or perhaps he was promised to be paid well if he did something confidentially for someone/s and figured he would return someday with money and could better care for his family. There was no struggle when he abandoned his car and belongings.

Attached Files:

Dama and Lily like this.
  14. DaisyChains

Wow! Richard Rhyne AkA Tricky Rick of TX went missing in 77 and had that same type of scar on his forehead between his eyes it seems!

Per the report on the UID it states the Man had a scar in between his eyes on his forehead that reached from his hairline to eyebrows. Richard's report says nearly the same except it is noted as a small scar and it was the first distinguishing characteristic listed (who knows):

"Distinguishing Characteristics: A small scar on his forehead
    between his eyes."

http://www.nampn.org/cases/rhyne_richard.html

His DNA is in CODIS. The way the scars are described is very similar. Also the vitals. AND he is from TX where there's lots of hot sauce and probably hot sauce novelty t shirts!!

Attached Files:

Dama, Lily, Advocate and 2 others like this.
  15. DaisyChains

And there's also Mario Palermo of Ontario. Canada who went missing in Dec. of 77.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/palermo_mario_n.html

No mention of a scar on forehead and he is listed as an inch or 2 shorter than the UID, but his face seemed similar to the UID to me AND he may not be in our NamUS since he is Canadian so. But again, no forehead scar like Richard from Texas had... At least there's not a forehead scar listed for him and I can't see a scar on his forehead in the picture below.

Attached Files:

Dama likes this.
  16. DaisyChains

In summation, Richard Rhyne interests me most in relation to the John Doe bc of his location, vitals, and most important forehead scar between the eyes. Also bc if the John Doe was involved in trafficking drugs - TX was a hub for trafficking between Mexico/Central America and the U.S. at the time (jmo on the drug trafficking aspect).

The Jane Doe may be Diane Bourne - I'm thinking this not only bc of vitals and circumstances, but because I have a feeling the Jane Doe may have been from another country like Canada where we often don't check our UIDs DNA against the missing of that country and because I believe the UID might have had government connections (jmo on the government connections part).

Attached Files:

Dama, Advocate and Kimster like this.
  17. Kimster

I'm very intrigued about Richard. I didn't get John Doe' s rule outs. I want to check it out.

Dama, Advocate and DaisyChains like this.
  18. DaisyChains

I don't think the John Doe is in NamUS, though there have been attempts to add him on other sites. It's as if they don't want his case solved :mad: so if that's true, I'm sure they don't even have DNA for comparison.

19. DaisyChains

I find it interesting that the victims were dropped on different sides of state lines and different jurisdictions, as if the murderer was intelligent and versed enough in Law enforcement tactics to know that making an investigation multi jurisdictional AND leaving bodies on state lines causes issues in organizing and solving a case. JMO. Another reason why I theorize the murderer was either military or government affiliated.

My father once told me that if evidence and bodies are left on State/County lines it makes it very difficult for investigators bc one jurisdiction will get some pieces of the puzzle while another jurisdiction will get the other pieces of the puzzle - and they don't always work together and bring what pieces they have to the table in combined efforts.

So I'm wondering - which jurisdiction in this case got the bigger pieces of the puzzle? Was the murderer aware of this tactic to muddy up an investigation? If so - how did he become aware of this tactic?

One thing is for sure in my mind: this was the cold blooded execution of two young individuals by someone who was not a spring chicken.

Dama, Advocate, Jenny and 1 other person like this.
  20. DaisyChains

Looked up what drug trafficking group was prevalent during the time of these murders. Just so happens the Deadly Medellin cartel was in charge of much of the trafficking via boat and plane between Columbia and the United States. Just so happens they began operating in the Summer of 1976 - and the Sumter County Does would be murdered by September of 1976 early Fall. Then we have our John and Jane Doe murdered in 1978 when the cartel was at its height of operation. I also find it interesting much was smuggled via boat and plane and the victims in this case as well as the Sumter case are theorized to have been traveling (but not hitchhiking necessarily) and possibly arrived in town by plane/boat not long before their murders.

"Origins of the Medellin Cartel

The 1979 incident at Dadeland Mall in Florida that had received national attention was the first visible evidence of the growing presence of a network of Colombia-based drug dealers in the United States. This drug alliance had been conceived by Carlos Enrique Lehder-Rivas, who had met George Jung, a drug trafficker, while in prison. Jung had been transporting tons of marijuana in private planes. Noting how successful this method of smuggling marijuana had been, Lehder reasoned that cocaine could also be moved in ton quantities.

In the late 1970s, Carlos Enrique Lehder-Rivas began cooper- ating with other Colombia-based traffickers in the manufacturing, transportation, and distribution of tons of cocaine to the United States and around the world. Lehder’s idea evolved into of the most lucrative, powerful, and deadly partnerships known—the Medellin cartel. Its membership included some of the most notorious drug lords of the 1980s—Jorge Ochoa, Pablo Escobar, Griselda Blanco, Gustavo and Benjamin Herrera, and Jose Rodriguez-Gacha.

By the summer of 1976, Jung and Lehder were out of jail and in the cocaine business. Lehder bought Norman’s Cay, an island in the Bahamas, which served as a base for air smuggling between Colombia and the United States. Lehder was just one of the hundreds of Colombia-based traffickers expanding the cocaine business.

By the mid-1970s, these traffickers, already active in marijuana trade, had established a virtual monopoly over cocaine distri- bution. The Andean city of Medellin, Colombia’s second largest city, was home to most of these traffickers. With cooperation, the cartels began processing even greater amounts of cocaine—from 25 tons in the late 1970s to 125 tons by the early 1980s. In the United States in 1978, a kilo of 12-percent purity cocaine had sold on the street for an average of $800,000. But by early 1984, cocaine was so plentiful that there were substantial price reductions in many U.S. cities. Prices for a kilo of cocaine dropped as low as $30,000 in New York City and $16,000 in South Florida. "
    http://www.dea.gov/about/history/1975-1980.pdf

Then in 1979 many of the aircrafts transporting drugs were seized in an operation:

"
    In late 1979, the DEA and the U.S. Customs Service conducted a two-part drug air interdiction campaign in the Turks and Caicos islands near the Bahamas. The campaign, which was called Operation Boomer/Falcon, mostly focused on South Caicos island. The island had become an established tranship- ment and refueling point for drug smugglers from South America because many corrupt South Caicos government officials were easily bribed.

One phase of the operation involved a covert surveillance of nearby uninhabited West Caicos island, which was also used as a transhipment point. When aircraft laden with illicit drugs landed on the island, DEA agents and local law enforcement officers were on-hand to seize the aircraft and arrest the pilots. The other phase of the operation was an undercover investi- gation used to collect intelligence about aircraft transporting drugs. Two DEA agents posing as mechanics lived in a DEA DC-3 plane for six weeks. During that time, they collected identification information about planes that were smuggling drugs and relayed this information to a command post in Miami, Florida. Using this information, which included the tail identification numbers and take-off times of planes transport- ing illicit drugs, the command post launched aircraft to intercept the traffickers.

The operation was enormously successful and resulted in the seizure of 27 aircraft, 1,203 pounds of Quaaludes and almost 8 tons of marijuana, as well as the 1985 arrest and conviction of the Prime Minister of South Caicos, Norman Saunders, who had accepted bribes from drug traffickers. Operation Boomer/ Falcon was responsible for the seizure of a total of 785 pounds of cocaine, of which two seizures were of record quantities— 329 and 384 pounds. Previously, agents rarely seized more than 10-20 pounds at a time. These large seizures alerted law enforcement of the increase in cocaine trafficking from South America."

Maybe this was all pointless of me to post, but IDK. Might be something to it all. Not going to go too deep into it all as much is just theory on my part.

Dama, spike, Sunburst and 2 others like this.