1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CA PETE DOE: WM, 18-25, found shot in Hacienda Heights, CA - Nov 1972

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by Kimster, May 13, 2015.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

[​IMG]

On Nov. 5, 1972, a resident found the body of a young man in a ravine in the 2900 block of Athel Drive in Hacienda Heights. John Doe #158 was estimated to be 19 to 21 years old, had shoulder-length hair and was dressed for the era. He wore a pink shirt, blue bellbottom jeans with the words peace and love embroidered on the pants, a peace symbol earring and a chain with black beads around his neck. He also bore a 3-inch surgical scar on his right knee and a 4-inch scar on his spine. This 37-year-old riddle remains unsolved.
    http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/gen...ld-riddle-slain-man-found-in-hacienda-heights
    [​IMG]
    http://canyouidentifyme.org/LosAngelesCaliforniaJohnDoeNovember1972
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/865umca.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ctims_in_California#Hacienda_Heights_John_Doe

On the night of November 5, 1972, the body of a young man who was between eighteen and twenty-five was discovered in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles County, California. The victim had suffered several gunshot wounds, which were previously heard by residents. He was found at the base of a ditch next to a road that had blood visible on it, which was likely his. The John Doe wore a denim jacket, brown boots a pink shirt, bell bottoms and jeans with the words "love" and "peace" sewn on the legs, respectively. Jewelry worn by the decedent consisted of a gold-colored earring with a peace sign, a white chained rosary bead necklace. His brown or strawberry blond hair was long and his eyes were blue. He stood at six feet tall and weighed 175 pounds. He also may have worn a pair of yellow glasses found near his body. Apart from the image shown, his face has been reconstructed by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    spike, FlandersFields, MULDER and 3 others like this.
  2. Kimster

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 18-25 years old
      • Approximate Height and Weight: 6'0" (183 cm); 175 lbs (79 kg)
      • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown, shoulder-length hair; blue eyes. A 3 inch surgical scar on his right knee, and a 4-1/2 inch scar on his spine, near the tail bone. A pair of yellow metal framed eyeglasses was found near the scene and may also have belonged to the decedent.
      • Clothing: He was wearing a blue denim Levi jean jacket with a zipper-down front, a pink t-shirt; blue bell bottom, Oshkosh brand jeans, with “PEACE” embroidered on the bottom left leg, and “LOVE” embroidered on the bottom right leg, blue flowered boxer shorts and brown leather boots. He was also wearing a small yellow metal earring containing a Peace symbol, and a white metal chain with black Rosary beads around his neck.
      http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/865umca.html

spike, FlandersFields, MULDER and 3 others like this.
  3. Kimster

This one gets me because the murderer was probably really happy that no one could identify his victim! It's unreal that he's gotten away with it to this day!

spike, MULDER, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  4. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

This young man went missing near San Fran where the hippie movement became huge. I can't seem to find a NamUs page for him or info on his DNA. There weren't any young men closely matching Pete Doe the year Pete Doe was found IMO.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bonick_peter.html

His name incidentally is... Peter. Peter Bonick.
    Peter Bonick went missing give or take 2 years before Pete Doe was discovered. I'm not sure if he had any family bc it mentions him staying at some sort of youth center before he disappeared. Not sure though. Peter Bonick had scoliosis and Pete Doe had some scars on his lower back... Could Pete Doe's back scar be the result of a treatment to help correct his scoliosis? Idk.

Peter Bonick went missing with a friend who also has never been found again. Seems like they both wanted to go off the grid, but it was perhaps easier for Peter to do so IF he had no close family to look for him.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  5. DaisyChains

MULDER, GarAndMo49, Akoya and 3 others like this.
  6. Kimster

MULDER, Akoya, spike and 2 others like this.
  7. DaisyChains

Anyone have a feeling maybe Pete Doe was from Australia? His face looks very Aussie to me. Just an idea.

Reading now that the Australian's also served in Vietnam and had a draft! That's something I never knew before! Oh man I feel ignorant. The idea posed that this Pete Doe could have been a Vietnam war draft dodger interests me. Maybe he was a draft dodger from Australia? I wish I knew how to access Australia's missing archives :(

We have lots of Aussie folk and folk with Aussie relatives here in Southern California, particularly along the coast.

patsella, MULDER, Akoya and 2 others like this.
  8. Kimster

@MarlyWings - any thoughts?

MULDER, DaisyChains, Akoya and 2 others like this.
  9. DaisyChains

Honestly from the get go Lamson was the first to catch my attention, but I noticed his DNA is in NAMUS. He was with the kid that went missing with Peter Bonick. he just looks so much like the composit and dressed rather snappy like Pete Doe as well. but again... DNA...

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lamson_richard.html

Another one that made me jump out of my seat was James Collins Egan. He went missing with a pair of "yellow" glasses. Now, if they meant to say the UID was found with "gold" wire frame glasses and not "golf", it makes me think of James all the more. He was last known to be traveling in San Fransisco when he called his family back home. BUT, again, his DNA is already in the system. Argh.

<modsnip>

Modsnip: Removed link that was hijacked by a spam site.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2019
  10. Kimster

I made a missing thread for Peter and Rick.

Pete Doe was wearing a pink shirt and an earring. In that era, men didn't usually wear pink shirts or earrings unless they were openly gay. This is a possibility that I've thought about this doe. Could this be a hate crime?

11. Takeitfromme

Takeitfromme Professional Journalist/News Reporter

Good thinking @Kimster I wasn't "around then" (est. in 1981 lol) BUT that was the inkling I was getting as I read down the posts, that maybe this boy was openly gay (for the most part) and maybe he crossed paths with homophobic bullies that shot him just because they could, and because he was gay?? thinking out loud.... not sure what to think

12. Kimster

I think it's a strong possibility. I remember the young man that I hung out with being very paranoid about having only one earring and wearing pink. They would have been terribly harassed.

13. DaisyChains

I agree! I wasnt sure if I should say it so I'm glad you did Kimster! He definitely sounds like he may have been from the lbgt community with the way he was dressed. I worry all the more that maybe his family didn't approve of his lifestyle and shunned him if so. Maybe they just assumed he decided to never come back home when in reality he was murdered :(

I'm not sure if it was a hate crime. Could have also been a lover's quarrel or something. Or that he was yes targeted for being homosexual, but maybe bc the murderer was a sexual sadist in some way.

They found decomposing female remains in an open grave not far from Pete Doe about a year after he was discovered. She was wearing two peace sign earrings. She is also still unidentified. Maybe her story is similar to Pete? Or maybe it is sheer coincidence.

I know that there were many "Surf City Killers" active in LA and the surrounding areas during that time. I think Randy Kraft may have been one. He targeted young males around the age of this UID. I believe Kraft was a teacher/professor. So scary. He wasn't the only SK targeting young homosexual males at that time though.

14. DaisyChains

Kimster I can't seem to find the thread. Any way you can shoot me a link? Thank you!

:thankyou:

15. Kimster

MULDER, Takeitfromme, Akoya and 2 others like this.
  16. DaisyChains

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...dney-nsw-24-april-1978-age-21.754/#post-37472

^left a comment on Stephen Jelfs thread about how I could see (theorize jmo) that maybe Jelf's became victim to the same man who killed Pete Doe, if Pete Doe was Australian and visiting the U.S. as I keep thinking he seems and if Pete doe was gay and involved in the drug trade or was close to someone that was involved in it.

Stephen was gay and last known to be associated with a drug dealer and they would travel to the U.S. And Canada among other places when he disappeared in 1978.

I know it seems odd, but the circumstances that lead both young men to disappearing could possibly be similar.

17. DaisyChains

gosh it looks so much like Richard Lamson.

18. TripleA

TripleA Zoo Keeper

I was reading about the woman and 3 young girls found in drums in NH and the talk of isotopes made me think of this case. They should be able to do isotopes on this young man to see where he grew up, right?

19. Kimster

Yes, but it depends on the jurisdiction whether or not they have the $$$ and resources to do it.

20. spike

spike Bronze Member

Just read this and remembered that at this time..'72, I was in college and the townies and folks in the country hated "hippies"...or anybody who looked like a hippy to them.
    There had been students killed by locals in Tallahassee and Gainesville, FL...and the truck drivers who drove those big old steel/rock trucks deliberately ran cyclists off the roads.
    It wasn't all peace and love on the outskirts.
    Geeez I'm old.

patsella, MULDER, GarAndMo49 and 3 others like this.