1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CA PETE DOE: WM, 18-25, found shot in Hacienda Heights, CA - Nov 1972

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by Kimster, May 13, 2015.

1. FlandersFields

FlandersFields Well-Known Member

He did! His work is one of a kind, and society is fortunate it have him share his God-given talent. I have a great respect for Koppleman and Bender. RIP Frank Bender.

patsella, Akoya, spike and 2 others like this.
  2. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

You are amazing! It is wonderful!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

Akoya, spike, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  3. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

Looks great! kudos to the students who worked on it.

Akoya, spike, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  4. FlandersFields

:) Thank You!!! We are great group, aren't we?!

Akoya, spike, patsella and 2 others like this.
  5. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

This is awesome! Oh Flanders, I bet Pete is smiling down on you! :)

Akoya, spike, patsella and 2 others like this.
  6. FlandersFields

That makes me happy! Thank You!!!

Akoya, spike, patsella and 1 other person like this.
  7. FlandersFields

The location is off the freeway, and there is a diner, a large motel, and a gas station. These businesses have been operating since the late 1960's. This location has many travelers and truckers that stop by. It's about two miles away from where Pete was found. Across the street there is an industrial area that is about 5 miles wide of factories, business firms, warehouse, etc., all of whom have truck drivers as employees. I have posted the flyers there as well. Perhaps Pete hitched a ride from up north, and the truck driver dropped him off at this corner before arriving in his work depot. Then unfortunately, Pete met his killer here. :(

Attached Files:

patsella, Akoya, spike and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kimster

Are the fliers staying up? I hope!

Akoya, spike and FlandersFields like this.
  9. FlandersFields

I drove there last weekend and it was still there. Unfortunately I went back yesterday, and it was gone. At least it was there for the two weeks inspite of the rain. The one on a pole in the park is still there, that was three weeks ago. I gave a couple of flyers to the motel there, and the gas station. they said they would post it on their establishnent. For the most part, the flyers are still there. I have a strong feeling that this was the corner where Pete was loitering around. It's next to a free way exit that can go all the way from SF to SD. Truckers, workers frequent that motel and diner, and there's many factories around the area. I wonder if the detectives even bothered to look around these establishments to ask the people if they saw him. I asked a few long time residents if they have heard about the case, and none haved. I know time is not on my side. If I look into old archives, and if there is nothing on 11/5/1972, and after, then there's definately something not right.

patsella, Akoya, spike and 1 other person like this.
  10. FlandersFields

Akoya and spike like this.
  11. Kimster

1972-11771_(865UMCA)_-_Reconstruction_003.jpg

I needed a pic of them closer together.

I'd think the scarring would be mentioned on Pete's profile. But it's a well considered thought!

Akoya, spike and FlandersFields like this.
  12. FlandersFields

I don't have the talent of a sketch artist (it's clearly obvious!) But this was the best I could do. The "person" looked like a cross between Gordon Ramsay and a young David Carruso. I did my best to capture that image.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Akoya, Kimster and spike like this.
  13. FlandersFields

San Gabriel Valley Tribune
    November 6, 1972
    Local
    Page

"Hacienda Heights - The body of a man who had apparently been shot to death with a shotgun was found Sunday after it was probably dumped from an auto in Hacienda Heights, sheriff's deputies said.

Homicide Lt. Charles Elliot said the unidentified man was between 25 to 30 years of age. There were no signs of his pockets being ransacked, although he had no identification, Lt. Elliot said.

The body was found 30 feet down an embankment in the 2900 block of Athel Drive in Turnbull Canyon at about 9:00 a.m. he said".

14. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

16. FlandersFields

Akoya and spike like this.
  17. FlandersFields

spike, Akoya and patsella like this.
  18. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

I wonder if Kraft had a gun, and if so, did the police confiscate it during their search of his place.

The more I think about it, I'm not so sure the pink shirt had any significance one way or the other as to his sexuality.
    During that time period it wasn't unusual for men to wear pink, florals, beads, .etc.

I remember most guys wearing jeans and tshirts, long hair, peace sign doo-dads, beaded necklaces. The gay men I knew dressed
    like everybody else. Back then it was more of "blending in" than being "out".

Being old and forgetful, I did ask my husband if any of my gay friends who he met wore pink or were outwardly
    gay looking (in their dress). He said "no, not even when they were out at the bar". By that time it was the 80's
    but things were still somewhat closeted.

I mean no offense to anyone who is gay. I am merely sharing my experience during that time frame. I had a number of gay friends
    (many gone due to AIDS) and was in their inner-circle.

Another thought just came to me. Kids who were drifting and hitch-hiking around bought clothes at thrift stores.
    I spent a month hitch-hiking around the state (California), quite an experience. :)

If Pete had left home, with no job he may have shopped the thrift stores as well.

Those things came to mind so thought I'd share them in case it might shed some light on getting
    Pete ID'd and hopefully with his family.

19. FlandersFields

Poor Pete! He meant no harm, and yet someone killed him anyway. The reason why my brother thinks it was Kraft is because at that time there were many serial killers in the area, particularly the "freeway killers". I thought it would be Kraft because someone who was as brazen as Kraft could kill someone so ruthlessly. I don't think it was Bonin because he targeted young teens, Kearney would shoot his victims on the temple, Pete was shot multiple times. Kraft would travel a larger area, and Pete was the age range that Kraft would target. Daisy Chains made a great discovery on an entry of Kraft's scoreboard, the second reference he called "Angel". I think that could be a connection. His clothing look so much like the people who lived in the San Francisco area. I was watching an old music video of the band Santana that was filmed in 1973, and I noticed that the drummer, Michael Shrieve, had a earing on his left ear. The band was from SF, so could the earing be a SF thing in the early 70's? No doubt, Pete was a hitch hicker from a different part of the country. Whether he was a runaway, or left home with his family's blessing is still to be debated. But there's a part of me who still believes that the killer was from the area, particularly Turnbull Canyon.

20. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

I'm a couple of days late posting this:
    45 Years ago on November 5th, 1972 the body of Pete Doe was found in a ravine in Hacienda Heights, California.
    Pete Doe was a victim of homicide.
    45 years too long for this young man not to be identified and returned to his family.
    Someone out there has to know something, and are missing him.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/865umca.html

I didn't see his NAMUS file posted so I'm adding it here:

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/3650