1. ALABAMA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Kamille McKinney, 3, abducted from a birthday party in Birmingham on Oct 12.
    The suspect vehicle has been located and a man has been taken into custody, but Kamille is still missing.
    Click HERE for more information

NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

CA PETE DOE: WM, 18-25, found shot in Hacienda Heights, CA - Nov 1972

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by Kimster, May 13, 2015.

1. FlandersFields

FlandersFields Well-Known Member

I wondered about that too because my next question to NAMUS was was the DNA sample from a blood relative? Did they have the same one or two parents? How do these organization verify that the person is indeed the relative (and not an imposter)? These questions are what is lingering inside my head. If I had them answered, then I would feel reassured, but I don't. These tests leave no room for error but I can't help but have these doubts. Donetwork said they would be in contact with me, if there are any changes. I have to wait, and see.

spike, patsella, Scorpio and 2 others like this.
  2. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

Wow. I was confident Steven would be a match. The resemblance is remarkable.
    I hope Steven is still alive if our Pete Doe is not a match.

Thanks for the update Flanders Fields and your continued efforts to ID Pete.

3. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

I hadn't thought of that, and that is a good question.

spike, FlandersFields and Akoya like this.
  4. FlandersFields

I did emailed NAM.US about that possibility because I am interested in how these possibilities are dealt with when it comes to identifying people. Just want to be certain, but I do think they do a thorough job. I will post their response when I receive it. Thanks.

spike, Akoya and Kimster like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure if they adopted him, and then were asked for DNA to make a comparison, they would have said, "Oh, he's not our biological child."

FlandersFields, Akoya and Kimster like this.
  6. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

I agree, they do a wonderful job but mistakes can happen. Thanks Flanders, I'm interested to know what they say.

spike, FlandersFields and Akoya like this.
  7. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

Good point SheWho. It's something I hadn't thought of before regarding a missing person
    being an adoptee.

8. Bobby88

Bobby88 Member

The gay hate crime angle doesn’t seem like a bad angle to explore. When I look at his reconstruction, he looks very androgynous to me, both facially and clothing wise (although I’ve noticed that men’s clothing in general in the 70s was more androgynous than other decades). Although I know that gay people don’t have a particular “look”, I have noticed that androgyny seems more common among LGBT people than straight people.

Given the time and place John Doe was killed, it could be that he wasn’t even gay at all but was assumed to be because of his look in such a conservative town and murder for it.

FlandersFields and Kimster like this.
  9. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I didn't know what androgynous meant, :oops: so I looked it up. I don't think he appears that way at all? Just my opinion.

FlandersFields likes this.
  10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Perhaps you could explain how LGBT people appear more androgynous than straight people do, and how this applies to Pete Doe.

11. Bobby88

Bobby88 Member

That was poorly worded by me and I apologize if I offended you. I shouldn’t have made such a blanket statement. I was going by my own observations that many of the men I’ve seen who wear more gender-neutral clothes and hairstyles have in fact been gay. I admit that this is only my limited observation and I really feel terrible that I even brought it up.

People brought up the fact that Pete Doe could have been gay. We don’t know if he was or not and ultimately it probably isn’t totally relevant since a life is a life.

Sorry for any offense.

12. FlandersFields

I agree with your comment. People assume many things at first glance, and Pete could have been judged too harshly. This crime really boggles me. And from living there from the 70's, and knowing people who have lived there since the 1950's, it was not free-spirited to say the least.

Kimster likes this.
  13. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

The area he was found has nice Houses. Not Multi-Million Dollar ones. The address to where he was found is 4 Bdrm, 2 Bths, 1800 Sq Ft. And valued at $700,000. It's value went up $550,000 since 1996. It's obvious the Victim didnt come from this area. But it would seem the Killer DID KNOW the area. "Male Prostitute"?. In 1972 a guy having his ear pierced wasn't common. And the usual statement was if it was on the "Right" side it was an indication of being "Homosexual". And wearing a "Pink T-Shirt". When alot of Men would never wear "Pink". This is NOT a demeaning statement! I am ALWAYS "Straight and supporting". Just thinking back in time. I was only 2 Yrs old at the time. And I am thinking of when I was a "Teenager" in the 80's, And this was the general mind set.

14. Kimster

Pete doesn't have any DNA on file, if I recall correctly, right? So the DNA doe project can't pick him up, I don't think.

15. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

He is listed on "Doe Network" his DNA and Fingerprints, Are on file. But strangely NO DENTAL CHARTING.

16. Kimster

Oh good! They do have some DNA. A lot of the unidentified remains in the Los Angeles County area were disposed of decades ago and no DNA was obtained.

DaisyChains, Mel70 and FlandersFields like this.