1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

PA PHILADELPHIA JANE DOE: WF, 30-60, found in Schuylkill River by oil refinery - 20 March 1968

Discussion in 'Unidentified 1900 to 1979' started by Akoya, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

O.K. I apologize. I never meant to be critical. It was meant to be a statement of a problem for identification. I misunderstood. I thought She was found right away. I was mistaken. I see that.

2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.
  3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Opened in 1951, the George C. Platt Memorial Bridge carries 56,000 cars a day.

[​IMG]

Scorpio and Mel70 like this.
  4. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

Are they building something?

5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

George C. Platt Bridge over the Schuylkill River, Philadelphia PA

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.
  6. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Platt Bridge Looking Down River.

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.
  7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Photo taken at George C. Platt Memorial Bridge

It would have been difficult to throw a body from the Platt bridge. There's 24 hour traffic close to the Philadelphia Airport.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  8. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

I noticed there was not a "Cause of Death" listed. She was dressed well. I was thinking "Suicide". And with the number of Cars You stated go over that Bridge per Day. Sure it would have been less in "68" but still in the Thousands.

9. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

And if She did jump from the Bridge wouldn't there be injuries to the Body that would appear even though she was so decomposed?. At that height, I would think. And someone should have seen her jump. 51 Yrs unidentified. So sad. Age in "68" 30-60. She would have been at least 80 now. It looks like a busy industrial area. Is it possible she was killed and entered the water somewhere else?. I don't know "Philadelphia".

10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

The refinery is located on the south bank of the Schuylkill River at the George Platt Bridge.

https://pes-companies.com/refining-complex/history/

The PES Philadelphia Refining Complex has been “part of the neighborhood” in South Philadelphia for over 150 years and is closely tied to the growth of the American oil industry in the 19th century.

In 1866, one year after the end of the Civil War, Atlantic Petroleum Company established its operations at Point Breeze along the Schuylkill River below Passyunk Ave. Four warehouses were built, and those could store 50,000 barrels (2.1 million gallons) of refined oil product, mostly kerosene used as lamp oil to light the homes and businesses in the growing city. (Remember that the automobile had not yet arrived on the scene, but when it did, it was probably powered by ethanol.)

Atlantic also built docks and railroad trunk lines to connect with the new refineries in Western Pennsylvania that were established after oil was discovered in Titusville, PA, in 1859. Atlantic installed its first petroleum refining units in 1870, changed its name to Atlantic Refining Company and soon became Philadelphia’s largest employer. Right after the turn of the century, Atlantic introduced the first fractionating tower, which would radically alter and improve the way oil would be refined.

[​IMG]

In 1966, Atlantic Refining Co. and Richfield Oil Co. in California merged to become ARCO. In 1982, Gulf was bought out by Chevron, and the Girard Point refinery became the Chevron USA Philadelphia refinery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

The refinery area has been owned by Atlantic, Chevron, Gulf, Sunoco, and a few other energy companies since the 1860s. The entire area has had fractional distillation towers and large storage tanks for decades. It is unlikely that security would allow random cars to drive through the refinery to the south bank of the river.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

The north bank of the Schuylkill River appears to be a location where a body could be released into the river.

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.
  13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

There is no lane for an automobile to stop while crossing the Platt Bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.
  14. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

In 1968, Interstate 95 was not completed through Philadelphia. At the time, the George Platt Bridge was known as the Penrose Avenue Bridge. This bridge was congested with traffic from Chester, Delaware, and the Philadelphia Airport. It doesn't look likely that Jane Doe was thrown from the bridge by someone who was passing through.

Scorpio likes this.
  15. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/16623/details

[​IMG]

Clothing and Accessories
    Clothing
    socks and stockings, walking suit, 2 sweaters, polo type shirt, fir hat. Skirt from Lord and Taylor, Labels: Deloux, Knitmaster & Dele. Size 10
    On the Body

Footwear
    Black chucka boots
    On the Body

Jewelry
    Timex Wrist Watch, white metal # 50102366
    On the Body

Philadelphia can be cold in March, but Jane Doe seemed to be wearing an excessive amount of clothes. She was wearing a suit, 2 sweaters, and a polo shirt, yet she didn't have a coat.

Scorpio likes this.
  16. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Jane Doe was found in the Schuylkill River 50 feet west of Penrose Ave., in Schuylkill River, near oil refinery.

This location is 50 feet west of the Pratt Bridge. Access to the river at this location would not have been an easy task. The Lower Schuylkill River is tidal at this location, near the junction of the larger Delaware River. I have to wonder if Jane Doe went into the Schuylkill River further west and floated toward the bridge as the tide ebbed.

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.
  17. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Scorpio likes this.
  18. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Jane Doe could have been at the Penrose Diner.

https://www.philly.com/news/penrose-diner-hour-overnight-wawa-20181230.html

Penrose Diner ends 24-hour service as the round-the-clock world shifts
    by Michael Klein, Updated: December 30, 2018

[​IMG]

Penrose Diner in South Philadelphia will end its 50-year tradition of 24-hour operation at 11:59 p.m. Monday, reflecting changes among not only its customers but also the workforce in general.

“The people in the 21-to-25 range are just not going out the way they used to,” Bill Dovas, an owner, said Sunday. The Penrose, at the intersection of 20th Street and Penrose and Packer Avenues, came to fame in a different era, benefiting from traffic off the Platt Bridge.

“When they go out to the clubs, they’re afraid to drive and don’t want to pay for an Uber both ways," Dovas said.

The Penrose’s hours will be 6 a.m. to midnight daily starting New Year’s Day. Dovas said the shorter hours would allow the diner to focus on quality and consistency. He said staffing also was a problem because “my longtime employees were getting tired.”

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.
  19. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Penrose Diner, Philadelphia

[​IMG]

20. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Scorpio likes this.