1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Pre 1950 cold cases in Australia

Discussion in 'Historical Cold Cases - Pre 1950' started by MissyMoo, Jul 13, 2015.

1. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Hi @Lily great idea. Ive began searching online so far have only come up with The Beaumont Children, but that was Australia Day 1966 in Glenelg SA. Where do you source your historical links? Ill keep looking.:thinking: i do love Charlie Bezzina (ex VicPol) and his dedication to Australian cold case homicides - he wrote a book that was unputdownable a few years ago.

2. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

@MissyMoo, one brilliant research site for old Aussie crime reports is Trove.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

And not just news for Australia, they even have copies of the original jack the Ripper reports from 1888!

I'll be posting up some other historic case resources, as they come to mind. I hope other posters will do the same! :)

3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Didn't see a thread for the Beaumont Children yet, so I thought I'd just drop this here for now...

Police chase new lead on missing Beaumont children

Major Crimes Detective Superintendent Des Bray says police have never closed their investigations and are currently looking into a new lead involving a now-dead suspect.

Police have received 159 CrimeStoppers calls about the children - one every four days - over the past two years.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/p...issing-beaumont-children-20160119-gm9fw4.html

Lily likes this.
  4. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I really hope this one pans out!

I have been vacillating over whether to start a thread on this case here, thanks to several nutcases who literally infest every single venue on the internet where this crime is posted, and then proceed to make the whole crime all about themselves..... It's just chronic and highly irritating, because there's no possibility of any serious discussion with these people (and their inevitable series of proxy-socks that enable them to talk to themselves..).

So I dunno. It's frustrating, as I really think this case so badly deserves to be kept alive.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed likes this.
  5. neddy

neddy Member

ever looked at Myrtle May Spink's death? Goondiwindi 29 May 1971.
    Sorry, not pre 1950. She married in 1951 and her brother-in-law (McKechnie)was a policeman at Goondiwindi

6. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I never heard about it before? Are there any discussions on the internet?

7. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Never heard of Myrtle! Can't find anythng on her either, got some links?

I found this horrid case while looking for her:

On Thursday evening, June 19, 1913, a well-to-do farmer William Mullins went for a social drink at his friend Frank Whittle’s house. The next day, at about 11a.m., he left his home to check his possum traps. He was supposed to be gone for two hours, but he never came back.

Two weeks later, his remains turned up in a gully two miles from where he lived. All that were left were some charred bones.

Early criminological investigations suggested that an enormous pyre had been lit for Mullins’ body, prepared and attended to by at least two perpetrators, for at least six hours. The assailants had been so well-organised they removed the metal buttons from Mullins’ clothing. The story goes that they had even put the shoes on their horse backwards, so as to confuse the investigators.

Mullins was about 50 years old and lived on a property called ‘Sunnyside’, by the Tyne River near Mathinna. His neighbour, Daniel Jones, was the prime suspect in the case. Mullins had been accused of burning down the Jones family’s wheatstack; there were stories of poisoned dogs and pigs. Someone in the town had warned Mullins to arm himself, but he figured his fists would be enough to defend himself.

“Have you been out of your wife’s sight since June 20,” Jones was asked in court. “Not for long,” he replied. Jones seemed to be backed into a corner. He apparently told Mr. McKenzie that he had done away with Mullins, but the facts were hazy; his brother was rumoured to have said he would one day ‘pot [Mullins] like a bird’. The judge declared that everyone had satisfactory evidence apart from Dan Jones and his wife.

But the locals seemed to be indifferent about the murder of Bill Mullins; or worse, they seemed to be trying to shield the identity of the murderers. Jones’ bail, set at £100, was paid.

In the end, the Hobart Criminal Court found there was insufficient evidence to charge Daniel Jones over the murder of his neighbour.

One of the legacies of the murder: in the Fingal Valley Football Association, the Mathinna club came to be known by the unsavoury name of the ‘Kill-and-Burns’.

http://www.storytellerspinks.com/fieldguide/14075083

Kimster likes this.