1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

QLD - Criminologist on trial for sex abuse *RETRIAL*

Discussion in 'Australia: Crimes & Trials' started by MarlyWings, Nov 3, 2015.

1. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

This is quite a high profile trial! The guy was a very well known criminologist.

November 3, 2015 12:39pm

CRIMINOLOGIST Paul Wilson allegedly showed an underage girl a full-length naked poster of himself before molesting her multiple times over three-and-a-half years, a Brisbane District Court trial has been told.

Wilson, 74, has pleaded not guilty to four charges of indecently dealing with a child under 12 between March 1973 and November 1976, and his trial began today.

Crown prosecutor Phil McCarthy told the 12-person jury Wilson lived in a picturesque “family neighbourhood” in Brisbane in the 1970s, where he developed a “peculiar sexual interest” in a young girl aged under 12.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...al-for-sex-abuse/story-fnii5v71-1227592811975

noZme, GarAndMo49 and Kimster like this.
  2. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Jury discharged in criminologist Paul Wilson's indecency trial after juror raises doubts about his impartiality

2 Nov 2015,

The jury in the trial of high-profile Queensland criminologist Paul Wilson has been discharged just over an hour after being empanelled

The jury was discharged after one of the jurors informed the judge he was not sure he could remain impartial through the trial.

A new jury will be selected tomorrow, at which point the trial is expected to continue.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-...inologist-paul-wilson-indecency-trial/6905602

noZme likes this.
  3. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Criminologist Paul Wilson played naked hide and seek with young girl, encouraged her to undress, court told

3 Nov 2015

In the opening day of the District Court trial, crown prosecutor Phil McCarthy said the jury would hear evidence suggesting Wilson asked the girl to stroke his genitals while she visited his home in Indooroopilly.

Wilson, now in his 70s, was married at the time and had a daughter with whom the victim's siblings used to play

Later in the proceedings, the court was closed so the girl - now a woman - could testify.

Wilson is the former head of criminology at Bond University on the Gold Coast.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-...-and-seek-with-young-girl-court-hears/6908474

GarAndMo49 likes this.
  4. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

To say I'm extremely skeptical of Queensland's ability to hold its officials accountable is putting it mildly. But let's see what happens to this man..

5. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Good grief! Will this trial ever get going?!?!?!

Jury discharged for second time in criminologist Paul Wilson's sex abuse trial

5 Nov 2015, 12:46pm

A second jury in the child sex abuse trial of high-profile Queensland criminologist Paul Wilson has suddenly been discharged

On day one of the trial in the Brisbane Supreme Court, the first jury was discharged just over an hour after being empanelled.

A new trial has been listed for February 1, 2016

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-...-paul-wilson/6915350?WT.ac=localnews_brisbane

GarAndMo49, Lily and Kimster like this.
  6. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

What was I saying .. "Let's see what happens"? Yeah well - there we go.

I predict him walking free.

QLD's law system once more serving criminals well.

Mel Daly and GarAndMo49 like this.
  7. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

8. GarAndMo49

GarAndMo49 Not A Sheeple

Shaking & trying not to puke...this is just SO wrong!

Mel Daly and MarlyWings like this.
  9. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

The Paul Wilson trial began today. It's going to be very interesting to see which way it goes.

Criminologist Paul Wilson played naked hide and seek with young girl, Brisbane court told

Mon 8 Feb 2016, 1:55pm

High-profile Queensland criminologist Paul Wilson has pleaded not guilty to allegations he played a game of hide and seek with a young girl while he was naked in his bedroom.

Wilson has been charged with four counts of indecent treatment of a girl under the age of 12, with alleged offences dating back to the 1970s.

In the opening day of the District Court trial, crown prosecutor Phil McCarthy said the jury would hear evidence suggesting Wilson asked the girl to stroke his genitals while she visited his home in Indooroopilly.

Wilson, now in his 70s, was married at the time and had a daughter with whom the victim's siblings used to play.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-...toric-sex-charges/7148754?WT.ac=statenews_qld

noZme, Lily and Kimster like this.
  10. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Accused criminologist 'has no memory of full frontal naked poster': court

February 12, 2016 - 5:00PM

A retired Queensland criminologist accused of molesting a young girl in the 1970s has begun giving evidence at his trial.

The jury has heard allegations he played sexualised hide-and-seek and kept a full-length naked poster of himself in his wardrobe that he showed to his alleged victim.

Dressed in a suit and tie, Wilson took to the witness box on Friday and gave 30 minutes of testimony.

Defence barrister Peter Davis SC asked him about the poster and whether he could recall anything of that nature.

"I've got no memory of a full frontal photo, especially no memory of one with a cat over my genitals, cats have claws," he told the court.

"No memory of that whatsoever."

Mr Davis then asked if his client remembered having any enlarged photograph of himself naked or semi-naked.

"Yeah I do have a hazy memory of a large photo of me with my hands covering my private parts while I was standing at an angle," Wilson told the court.

He said he couldn't explain the circumstances how he came to have the photograph made.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/accused-criminologist-has-no-memory-of-full-frontal-naked-poster-court-20160212-gmt04q.html#ixzz3zx0utArt

Mel Daly, Lily and Kimster like this.
  11. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Criminologist and accused child sex offender Paul Wilson denies allegations he assaulted girl in 1970s

15 Feb 2016, 9:01pm

A high-profile criminologist has denied allegations he sexually assaulted a young girl in the 1970s, describing them as fantasy.

Giving evidence today in the Brisbane District Court, Wilson denied all of the allegations put to him by defence barrister Peter Davis QC.

When asked if he played hide-and-seek with the alleged victim and sexually assaulted her, he said it never happened and described the allegations as fantasy.

"That simply did not happen - I don't play games with children, not even my own," he said

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-...sex-offences/7169320?WT.ac=localnews_brisbane

Lily likes this.
  12. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Isn't that an odd comment to make??

Apart from that, this case is about a very high profile criminologist yet there's been minimal reporting coming from the court. I wonder why that is!

Mel Daly and Lily like this.
  13. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Jury retires to consider verdict in child sex offence trial of criminologist Paul Wilson

Updated about 5 hours ago

A jury will reconvene on Wednesday to continue deliberations in the trial of high-profile Queensland criminologist Paul Wilson.

In summing up the case in Brisbane's District Court, Judge Tony Moynihan told the jury in order to convict the defendant they must be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that Wilson committed the offences.

Deliberations began at 1:00pm today.

The jury will reconvene at 9:00am on Wednesday

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-...-paul-wilson/7172968?WT.ac=localnews_brisbane

Mel Daly likes this.
  14. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

The moment an accused starts saying "I have no memory of that" it's almost 100% certain they really do have that memory... and just don't want to admit it.

Lo and behold, there surfaces a "hazy" memory of a nekkid picture.

Hazy, my ass. Who'd forget having a large nude picture of oneself, and how that came to exist. Really.

I still predict he'll walk.

It's his luck I'm not on that jury, listening to "I have no memory..." /fume

Mel Daly and MarlyWings like this.
  15. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

I was just coming to the thread to say the jury is still out and seem to be taking their sweet time. Then this pops up!!

Jury in child sex offence trial of criminologist Paul Wilson fails to reach verdict

18 Feb 2016

The jury in the trial of Queensland criminologist Paul Wilson has been discharged after failing to reach a verdict.

Jurors started deliberating on Tuesday but this evening told Judge Tony Moynihan they were unable to reach a unanimous or majority verdict.

The judge has discharged the jury

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-18/paul-wilson-trial-jury-fails-to-reach-verdict/7176604

noZme likes this.
  16. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Jury discharged in Qld criminologist case
    February 18, 2016
    A Brisbane District Court jury retired on Tuesday just after midday but were discharged at about 6.15pm on Thursday, unable to reach a verdict.

This was despite Judge Tony Moynihan indicating to them late on Thursday afternoon a majority verdict of 11 out of 12, rather than a unanimous one, could be accepted

He also gave them the so-called Black direction the afternoon before, in which a judge will encourage a jury struggling to reach a verdict to return to deliberations in the hope of resolving their opinions.

Before sending them out for deliberations, the judge told them the defendant had faced court previously on these charges but cautioned them not to speculate on the reasons for the retrial.

The matter is expected to return to court at a date to be fixed unless the crown elects to withdraw the case.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/jury-discharged-in-qld-criminologist-case-20160218-gmxztn.html#ixzz40WbM10n9

Lily and noZme like this.
  17. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

The never ending story!!

I went back to when the charges were first laid as I'd remembered something odd about the report.

November 22, 2012

ONE of Australia's chief crime sleuths Professor Paul Wilson has been accused of sexually abusing two young girls 38 years ago.

Professor Wilson, 71, who has been living in Singapore, arrived back in Brisbane yesterday, declaring he would fight the allegations that threaten to destroy his career as one of the country's most respected criminology academics and revered authors.

During a police raid on Professor Wilson's Gold Coast home in October last year, a number of photographs belonging to the ex-head of Bond University school of criminology were seized by detectives.

As well as being one of Australia's foremost criminologists who has campaigned against the "fervour" surrounding child abuse, he has spent a lot of time during his career exploring the nature of evil - whether people can be inherently evil or whether they just commit evil acts.

Many of his works touch on child sex abuse. In his book Life Of Crime, Professor Wilson said that in the "sizeable majority of incidents" adolescents were sexually provocative.

"My findings were remarkably similar to studies in California and Scandinavia which suggest child victims of adult sex offenders are generally willing or active participants, and that they not infrequently initiate the sexual relationship," he wrote.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...sed-of-sex-abuse/story-fndo317g-1226521753498

Lily, Kimster and noZme like this.
  18. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Two very odd points in above report....

What were the photos of?!?!?! and why weren't they mentioned in the trial?!?!?

What the hey!??!?!?!......they are children....kids.....!!!!!

Kimster, Lily and noZme like this.
  19. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

[​IMG]

GarAndMo49 and Mel Daly like this.
  20. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

He was trying to make excuses for his perversion! Oh my gosh!