1. Don't miss the next episode of TRUE COLD CASE FILES with our member, Jason Futch!
    You can also be a part of this broadcast by letting Jason know what cases you'd like him to research in future episodes!

Click Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

QUANNE DIEC, 12, Missing/Abducted from Granville, NSW, 1998.

Discussion in 'Australia: Cold Cases' started by Lily, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

[​IMG]

Quanne Diec
    Diec Quanne
    Born 12/5/86
    Age at time of disappearance: 12 years
    Age now : 16 years
    Description: 155 cm tall, medium build, black hair and brown eyes. Of asian appearance.
    Quanne was last seen by her father leaving for school from her Granville home on 27 July, 1998. There are grave concerns for her welfare.
    Reported: Granville Police Station Sydney, NSW Australia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-year-old Sydney schoolgirl Quanne bid farewell to her parents as she headed off to catch her train to school on the morning of July 27, 1998. This was the last time she was seen. Police later confirmed the young studious, quiet girl never made it to the Clyde railway station.
    Quanne, who lived with her parents in the Sydney suburb of Granville, was feared to have been kidnapped very early on in the investigations. Her disappearance wasn`t reported to Granville Police Station until 10 hours after last being seen. This was because her school did not report her non-attendance as they believed she was probably sick at home and her parents had no reason to think she wasn`t at school.

Her disappearance was totally out of character, with no evident tension in her home or school life. Two years after her disappearance detectives who worked on the case have not publicly stated they believe she is dead.

However, according to an article in The Sunday Telegraph the opinion of highly experienced former investigators and an expert in child abduction said in all probability she was murdered, possibly even before the search for her had begun. Homicide investigators have never closely examined the case, despite the suspicious circumstances of Quanne`s disappearance.

One detective described the lack of action on the case as "sickening". Source: Crimenet

-------------

Police at first thought Quanne was abducted at Clyde Railway Station, but they later
    obtained a series of photographs from footage captured by security cameras at an Australia
    Post depot 400 metres from her Seventh Street home.

The enhanced pictures show a small blurry figure making its way along nearby Factory Street
    and a white vehicle pulling up alongside, but precious few identifying details.

A woman who noticed a girl getting into a transit-type van that morning has been hypnotised
    in a bid to jog her memory of the incident but to no avail.

In November last year a mystery phone call from a man with an Australian accent, alluding
    to intimate details about Quanne's abduction, resulted in authorities boosting the reward for
    information leading to her return to $250,000.

The anonymous caller suggested police look in nearby Duck River and a 300-metre section of
    the murky waterway was drained and searched on January 12 and 13. Police found various items
    but none of investigative value.

-------

A man who anonymously rang police twice with information about missing
    Sydney schoolgirl Quanne Diec could help solve the mystery of her disappearance six months
    ago, police said today.

The caller, a man police believed to be aged in his early 20s, might have vital information
    about the 12-year-old's abduction and urged him to call again, Detective Inspector Stephen
    Mathews said today.

Two calls, the first in November and the second last month, were to Crime Stoppers by the
    same person, the first leading to a fruitless search of a creek near where the girl
    disappeared on July 27.

Insp Mathews said the person appeared to have some involvement in the abduction, but seemed
    willing to help.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightAustralia/ar/t88.htm

spike, MissyMoo and Kimster like this.
  2. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Where is Quanne?

Her case reminds me a lot of Bung's, both on their way to school, and just vanished..

spike and MissyMoo like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

What bizarre calls to police...

4. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

5. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

6. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

7. Kimster

Lily, MissyMoo and spike like this.
  8. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Glad there's been developments in this.. and interesting that "Tarantino" (I was betting that was a fake name, and I was right) has been a suspect all along.

I hope Quanne is found, so her family can have that closure.

9. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...e/news-story/eb21fcc911471582f88fe3932cb300de

Me too @Lily but this guys mind is totally unhinged, so hopefully hes telling the truth this time, too cruel for Quannes mum and dad if this is just another one of his delusions. I read last night the search has been temporarily suspended, didnt state why, hopefully they are just regrouping and picking up again next week.

The link above, get your tissues ready :bawling:
    Lily there was one i had not heard of before, (Marilyns) too sad.

spike and Lily like this.
  10. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Omg, the Marilyn Wallman case.... that's broken my heart for a logn time now. :( News there: they found a piece of her skull not too long ago, which was a huge break in the case...her family knew at long last that she was in fact dead.

I'm sure there's a post for her here.. I'll have to make sure. But anyway, glad to see Quanne's case being kept current, though ofc sad she's on this list at all.

Older cases have been solved... let's keep hoping our wonderful cold case cops can resolve them all eventually.

11. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    spike and Lily like this.
  12. spike

spike Bronze Member

I wondered about that!

MissyMoo likes this.
  13. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

14. Kimster

MissyMoo likes this.
  15. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I was looking for updates on this case - couldn't find any recent ones - and had a couple thoughts while I browsed the articles.

When Vinzent Tarantino marched into a Sydney police station last Sunday and confessed to murdering 12-year-old Quanne Diec, he told detectives the guilt had become too much to bear. For 18 years he’d lived with it, he said. He was sick of it.

To the astonished detectives, it was proof of what they had come to suspect: that the hulking, steroid-abusing former bouncer was a child-killer.

In the hours after Tarantino’s confession, police charged the 49-year-old with a raft of offences, including murder and ransom.

On the face of it, it seemed to explain one of the city’s most enduring mysteries.

And yet Tarantino’s shock confession raised nearly as many questions as it answered. While police are in no doubt they have their man — Tarantino divulged details only the killer could know — crucial questions remain unanswered. One stands out above the others: why?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...e/news-story/b53beacd49ba8447982a2cf0b2c3f569

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-stran...killer-vinzent-tarantino-20161121-gsuhpq.html

^ In the ones up there, it says "Tarantino" had 'spiralled' into mental illness after witnessing a bikie shootout. One theory I have on this is, he saw all the blood on the ground -- and was turned on by it. This both excited and disgusted him... perhaps he'd been harbouring fantasies of a disturbing nature for a long time, which actually scared him. Soon after he saw that bikie crime scene, he tried to kill himself and things went really downhill for him from there on until he finally snatched poor Quanne and killed her.

I heavily suspect, however, that his comments about the 'murder' of his gf and brother is an attempt to play up the mental illness angle. Just because someone is mentally ill for real doesn't mean they dunno what they're doing or incapable of manipulating in that sort of way. He planned this murder, lay in wait for Quanne and hasn't disclosed her body's whereabouts -- sent the cops off on wild goose chases, as so many other child killing perverts have done. They get off on the 'power' they feel by doing that.

As of March 26, the police were still looking for Quanne's remains and clues in the accused's home and locally.

Kimster and MissyMoo like this.
  16. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Just further to my theory:
    ____

Privately, police are not even certain Tarantino is telling the truth.
    While they have absolutely no doubt he killed Quanne, they remain deeply suspicious about key elements of his story. In his confession, he told police he had enticed Quanne into a van on Factory Road before taking her to the house he shared with his father.

Tarantino said the plan had been to demand a ransom from Quanne’s parents, but something went wrong and he strangled her in the house.

Police are sceptical. Sam Diec and his wife, Ann, refugees who arrived in Australia in 1978, ran a mixed business in Casula in Sydney’s southwest and sent their kids to the local public school.

They lived in a modest Granville home and worked punishing hours to make ends meet. They weren’t exactly ransom material.

To police, Quanne’s murder feels more visceral, like the work of a violent pedophile or a psychopath.
    Sources close to the investigation stress there is no evidence to contradict Tarantino’s admissions, and nor does Tarantino have a history of child abuse.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...e/news-story/b53beacd49ba8447982a2cf0b2c3f569

He's not too insane to lie to women about his past, nor lie about the ransom. I think somehow, his extreme self loathing behaviour is caused by the fact that he likes blood and little girls, and can't for whatever reason admit that to himself.

Just a theory. I'm glad he's behind bars. Now, please let's hope poor Quanne is found so her parents can finally get a little bit of closure.

MissyMoo likes this.