1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

OR REBECCA KATHLEEN REID: Kidnapped from Eugene, OR - 27 Jan 1997 - Age 37

Discussion in 'Missing 1990 to 1999' started by Kimster, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Rebecca Reid was kidnapped at about 1:00 a.m. on January 27, 1997 from a convenience store where she was the lone clerk. It appears robbery was a motive. A customer interrupted the suspect and Rebecca was forced into the suspect's vehicle and driven away. There have been no confirmed sightings of Rebecca Reid since her kidnapping.

The suspect is a white male, late 20's to mid 30's, 5'9", 165-185 lbs., with brown shoulder length straight hair, mustache with stubble, last seen wearing a dark baseball cap, white short sleeve shirt with collar, blue jeans. His vehicle is described as follows: early 70's to early 80's compact pick-up truck, white or very light colored with a horizontal blue stripe about eight inches wide running the length of the driver's side at height even with top of bed. The pick-up may have a white canopy about cab high covering the bed.

A month after the kidnapping, a man tried and failed to take a woman from a grocery store at knifepoint. Investigators tried to link the man convicted in that case, John Erva Dunn, to the Reid case, but never named him as a suspect.

[​IMG]

http://www.nampn.org/cases/reid_rebecca.html

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...regon-since-1997-when-she-was-kidnapped.1941/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. Kimster

The night she vanished, she was the 38-year-old mother of a teenage boy. Just 5 feet 2 inches tall and 120 pounds, she was a bubbly woman with an infectious smile. She had grown up in Springfield and graduated from Thurston High School.

The abduction occurred as she prepared to close the store she managed at 1510 Highway 99 North. The store has since become a Dari Mart.

A man returning empty beer bottles told police he saw her being taken out of the store by a man who pushed her head-first into a white or light-colored pickup truck. He said Reid seemed dazed.

He described her abductor as white, in his late 20s to mid-30s, about 5 feet 9 inches tall and 175 pounds. He had brown, shoulder-length hair, a moustache and a stubble beard. He wore a dark baseball cap, short-sleeved white shirt and blue jeans.

A month after the kidnapping, a man tried to take another woman from a different Grocery Carts store at knife point. She fought him off.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/ar/t8776.htm

spike likes this.
  3. Kimster

I've been searching for more info on Dunn and I did find an obit for a man with his name in 2007. I also saw an unlinked post on WS saying he was killed by police in that year, but nothing to back up the claim. I also saw a people finder site that says a man in his 50s with that name is living in Eugene now.

spike likes this.
  4. Kimster

5. Kimster

EUGENE, Ore. - The people driving past the Dari Mart on Highway 99 may not know they're passing the site of a 20-year mystery.

"I remember we'd count the days, and nothing would happen," said Chris Yoder, Rebecca Reid's sister. "Too many days to count, so we would count weeks. Too many weeks to count - now I never thought it would be counting years, but here we are."

Yoder sits in her daughter's home, flipping through a photo album.

“She was an awesome mom," Yoder said. "I think she just felt like everything was so complete. Her marriage was good, she was happy and she had this cute little red-headed boy.”

Pictures and memories are what she has left of her sister, Rebecca "Becky" Reid.

The 37-year-old was abducted a knife-point on January 27, 1997 - Super Bowl Sunday.

She hasn't been seen since.

Reid was closing what was then a Grocery Car store, where she was a a manager.

Around 1 a.m., a man entered the store.

He had a knife, and he forced Reid into a waiting truck, according to Eugene Police.

There was one witness in the store when it happened.

An artist’s rendering was released to the public.

The leads starting pouring in.

Then the trail went cold.

“At last count we’re at 800 leads," Eugene Police said in 1997, "and they’re all going in different directions."

Dearld Reid, Becky’s husband, was ruled out as a suspect.

Becky’s sister said those first few weeks were agonizing for Dearld and their 13-year old son Tony.

“Our son told me the other night: 'I sure miss mom’s voice,'" Dearld said in a 1997 interview. "That’s a killer.”

On top of missing Becky, Yoder is frustrated with a case that’s still unsolved after so many years.

"Somewhere in that police department's basement is a box with your sister's name on it," Yoder said, "and nobody is doing anything about it."

KVAL News first approached Eugene Police about this story in late December. A spokesperson said no one would be able to speak on the case until April due to "prosecution deadlines on his latest homicide case."
    http://kval.com/news/local/rebecca-reid-cold-case

spike and Paradise like this.
  6. TonyB

TonyB New Member

Hello,

John Erva Dunn was killed by police in 2007. The linked article to the Eugene Register-Guard confirms that the man shot by police was the man who police tried to link to the Reid case. Dunn’s GMC Jimmy was pulled over, and Dunn seemed to make an attempt to go for a gun on the front seat.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Oakridge+officer+shoots,+kills+man.-a0166335944

Dunn also tried to abduct a woman at gunpoint in 1982 at the age of 17. The woman’s husband managed to take the gun away from Dunn, who drove away in a Pinto. I believe he was convicted of the crime. The linked case gives some detail into the 1997 abduction attempt and the 1982 case.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/or-court-of-appeals/1411513.html

If anyone knows why Dunn was never named a suspect, or if anyone has any updates on the Reid case, please reply.

7. Kimster

Hi @TonyB ! :welcome:

Do you think there is strong evidence that Dunn took her? I know about this case from a different angle. Seems like the husband's family has another issue. This is an article about Rebecca's sister-in-law: http://projects.registerguard.com/c...ris-swanson-company-transition-bookkeeper.csp

kdg411 likes this.