1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Rhoden family of eight killed in Pike County, Ohio in 2016 ***ARRESTS!***

Discussion in 'Crimes' started by MadgeS, Apr 22, 2016.

1. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

This is an intriguing case & brings to my memory the Alday family murders in SW GA in 1973 in that multiple family members from a small town, rural area were found dead. All these years later, people shudder at the mention of that family name. The same sad legacy will happen in Ohio.

Reader has been in law enforcement in that area for 20 years (I think he said) but has been sheriff for only about a year. Apparently he has come down hard on the drug trade. My immediate thoughts were that a family member got mad & killed everybody but that was soon proven wrong. I suspect this will be found to be a personal vendetta, someone very much known to at least some of the dead & had something to do with the illegal activity on Rhoden property & may have involvement with a confidential informant or someone thought to be a CI .....The killer(s) was (were) making a last ditch effort to save his (their) own hide.... That's my theory of the day, tomorrow is likely to be something different..... I just want to say, I have empathy for what this is doing to the community. Nobody can feel at ease in their own home. Little people hear news & conversations they cannot understand & must be so afraid. For someone living in an county of 250,ooo - to think there may be a killer among you is different than this area. Pike County has a population of 28,000.

http://www.walb.com/story/29546832/42-years-after-alday-murders-no-closure

https://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/w...11910&geo=en_US&prt=&ctype=&ver=&chn=&tpr=121

HALO., walkie-talkie, MadgeS and 3 others like this.
  2. charlie

charlie gruntled

so I go back and forth between much more sophisticated then redneck drug dealers (sorry pope...it's kind of a rednecky area) and no way would a cartel have left anyone alive.

MadgeS and spike like this.
  3. charlie

charlie gruntled

can the toddler talk?

MadgeS, guess who and spike like this.
  4. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Yeah, I think about the threat that the 16 year old received and wonder about that too. Would the cartel do that? I don't think so!

5. Kimster

The Investigation

What we know:
    It's likely to be lengthy.
    DeWine said police have executed at least five search warrants and 50 of 60 people have been interviewed so far. Authorities have received 100 tips and 18 pieces of evidence have been submitted to the crime lab. Seven of the eight autopsies have been performed so far, he said. The last one scheduled is for Monday, said DeWine.
    What we don't know:
    What investigators have found or how many guns were used in the shootings.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/25/us/ohio-family-killed-marijuana/

HALO., NOCLUE, walkie-talkie and 4 others like this.
  6. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

This article mentions a possible other spin on this. It's POSSIBLE the family was just TENDING the inside grow operations and not necessarily OWNER of said illicit crop. Of course, as the article says, that still puts them in just as much danger as if they owned the crop.

JMHO
    fran

Family Massacre Reveals Ohio’s Massive, Illicit Marijuana Business

The Rhodens were running a commercial-sized pot operation when someone killed them last week. The rural area they lived is actually is a strategic link in the international drug trade.

The only thing more shocking than murder of an entire family in rural Ohio might be to learn how big the area they grew marijuana in is to the international drug trade.

Eight members of the Rhoden family, ranging in age from 16 to 44, were shot to death in four homes early Friday morning and three of those homes had considerable marijuana operations.

"This is not a plant in a window or six or seven plants in the backyard," Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine told a local radio station on Monday. "They were doing this to sell."

While it’s unclear whether or not the slayings were tied to the cannabis, this region has helped put Ohio in the top 10 of states producing the most marijuana, Russ Baer of the Drug Enforcement Agency told The Daily Beast. Last year the state was granted more than half a million dollars for its cannabis eradication program, putting it in the top five of state recipient.

In 2010, the DEA seized 22,000 plants from Pike County and 25,180 plants from neighboring Muskingum. By comparison, the rest of Ohio combined saw 58,000 plants seized that same year. The haul in Pike County was so prolific that authorities burned the contraband on hillsides instead of trying to haul it away.

“Pike County is perfect for a grow operation because you have a lot of notice whether someone's there and not supposed to be there,” DeWine said. "We have come across in the past in Pike County, on a couple different occasions, some sophisticated commercial grow operations. There was one that made the news [in 2010] where we came across an encampment where we had people in tents who were out there tending the marijuana."

read more ........... http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...hio-s-massive-illicit-marijuana-business.html

7. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

good question

ages-Three children — ages 4 days, 6 months, and 3 years — were found ...

3 yrs, hard to guess if they spoke

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    HALO. and spike like this.
  8. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

HALO., spike, walkie-talkie and 2 others like this.
  9. fran

EXCLUSIVE: Victim of Ohio family massacre was shot once in the head - then had dollar bills strewn on his corpse by killer, reveals cousin who found horror scene
    • Eight members of the same family were massacred in Piketon, Ohio, on Friday - and killer or killers remain at large
    • Man first to discover the mass murders tells Daily Mail Online he found Kenneth Rhoden dead in his bed, a single bullet wound to his head
    • But he had dollar bills littering his corpse below his knees - an apparent message from the killer
    • 'There was blood everywhere man. It was something no human should see,' he tells Daily Mail Online
    • Law enforcement has said marijuana cultivation was found at three of the four murder scenes
    • Court documents also reveal how one of the victims, Christopher Rhoden Jr., was victim of a road rage assault

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-feet-shot-head-reveals-man-horror-scene.html

10. fran

I was reading on, I believe topics, and someone was describing a scene they saw the day of the murders being found. It was a young man, I think he was kneeling and LE had him handcuffed and he was crying. I believe it was most likely this kid. He must have been horrified that the family was murdered and he was possibly a suspect. :eek:

JMHO
    fran

spike and walkie-talkie like this.
  11. fran

hmmm, weird that the argument with the other group was over money AND there were bills strewn over the feet of one of the victims.

What a coikiny dink!
    fran

12. charlie

charlie gruntled

I was just thinking of the witness comment - maybe the child could identify.

Kimster and spike like this.
  13. Kimster

From that link:

Mongold said he knew investigators would want to talk to him because just two weeks earlier he threatened Rhoden on his Facebook page. Mongold wrote he was going to beat Rhoden's skull in, after the two were on opposite sides of two groups of friends arguing over money.

"It was dumb stuff," said Mongold, who says just hours after the bodies of the Rhoden family were discovered, comments started popping up on social media pointing finger at him. Mongold says the dispute was eventually settled without any punches.

"We made some threats, but it wasn't like we were gong to kill them. We just wanted to fight them,"

A lesson in why we do not threaten people! :nono:

14. Kimster

Oh my gosh! <shudder!>

Does that have a meaning, like the Godfather's horse head in the bed?

spike likes this.
  15. spike

spike Bronze Member

OH YEAH.

MadgeS and Kimster like this.
  16. fran

17. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

Kimster " 'Oh my gosh! <shudder!>"

Does that have a meaning, like the Godfather's horse head in the bed?"
    Wasn't that once considered a mark of the drug cartel?

18. Kimster

I don't know? It was in the movie because the mob was sending a guy a message. It was his beloved horse.

I think a dead fish means the mafia is angry with you, right?

spike and MadgeS like this.
  19. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

I think you are right

spike and Kimster like this.
  20. Kimster

fran, spike and MadgeS like this.