1. NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on Monday, September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information

CALIFORNIA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for John Weir, 2, who was abducted from Merced on September 20.
    He is believed to be in the company of his "armed and dangerous" father, Steven Weir, 32.
    They may be traveling in a red 2005 Hyundai Elantra with California plates 5SKT544.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Vic RICKY BALCOMBE: Murdered in Geelong, Vic - 1985 *ARREST**GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Australia: Cold Cases' started by MarlyWings, May 2, 2015.

1. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

Police hope $1m reward can solve the 20-year murder mystery of Ricky Balcombe

May 01, 2015

POLICE are hoping a $1 million reward will bring to justice the person who killed a teenage boy 20 years ago.

A man in a hoodie stabbed Ricky Balcombe, 16, in the leg and chest in front of his best mate and stunned bystanders.

Ricky’s friend narrowly escaped after being chased through Geelong streets.

Charges against Karl Hague over the May 5, 1995, killing were dropped in 1998, nine days before a Supreme Court trial was to start, after the overdose deaths of two witnesses.

Ricky’s mother, Christine Loader, pleaded with Mr Hague, who is now a father of two, to speak with police.

[​IMG]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...f-ricky-balcombe/story-fni0fit3-1227329146888

MissyMoo likes this.
  2. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

THE former prime suspect in one of Geelong’s most horrific and baffling cold case murders has spoken out for the first time on the 20th anniversary of Ricky Balcombe’s death.

Karl Hague says he is innocent of Ricky’s death and hopes a new push for a $1 million reward for answers helps find the family peace.

He was charged with Ricky’s murder on October 29, 1996, but the charges were dropped nine days before a Supreme Court trial was due to start.

He denied being in the shopping mall at the time of the murder.

[​IMG]
    “I wish it would be cleared up for the family and for my family. I wish the right person would come forward, I wish he would man up and accept what he has done,” Mr Hague told the Geelong Advertiser.

“I want it solved like everyone else.

“I just wish the best for the family, I’ve got kids just like they have.”

Released from prison only a week ago and now on parole for unrelated matters, Mr Hague said he was unable to expand further without putting his immediate future in jeopardy.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...be-murder-speaks/story-fnjuhoxe-1227334469868

MissyMoo and Kimster like this.
  3. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Just some background on this charming individual, who for some reason I cannot fathom (outside of his being good mates with some seriously corrupt cops... and/or the abject failure of our courts to protect the Australian public yet again..) is currently walking about free as a bird.

A MAN who beat charges of murder, attempted murder and rape claims post-traumatic stress made him open fire in a street.

Karl Michael Hague, 38, was jailed for at least 2 1/2 years after he shot at two men outside a Geelong pizza shop in September 2009.

Hague was once accused of the 1995 murder of Ricky Balcombe, 16. The case was dropped and is unsolved.

He was also charged with rape but acquitted in 1996, sparking a 15-year feud with the family of the woman who accused him. The pizza shop incident was prompted by one of the woman's relatives punching Hague.

Hague responded by getting an unregistered gun and shooting at the man, firing another shot as the victim dived for cover into a friend's car.

He was charged with attempted murder but the charge was downgraded to reckless conduct endangering life and he pleaded guilty to two counts of that offence, and one of possessing an unregistered gun.

One psychologist told the court Hague suffered post-traumatic stress disorder, while another said he had anxiety but not post-traumatic stress.

Justice Simon Whelan said he preferred the latter assessment, as Hague was able to run successful businesses, earn a pilot's licence and fly his own plane.

He said Hague had a long history of weapons offences and had been jailed in the past for trying to run down a policeman, resisting and assaulting police and dishonesty offences.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...-excuse-rejected/story-fn7x8me2-1226112598539

4. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

What an interesting situation. Sounds like LE still believes he is the perp but wants a witness to make a more solid case? :holycow:

I hope the hefty reward idea does the trick! I'll tweet and get the word out. Hope it helps!

MissyMoo and Lily like this.
  5. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Police believe the cold case murders of teen Ricky Balcombe in Geelong in 1995, and the brutal 2002 murder of Larry Weber in Rowville, can be solved with the help of two informants who called police early in March.

Police desperately want the callers to both get back in touch.

Mr Balcombe was 16 years of age when he was stabbed to death outside Market Square Mall in Geelong.

Police believe the person who came forward with information about his death on March 22 may also know crucial information about the murder weapon and the clothing worn by the offender.

The prime suspect in the teen’s murder, Karl Hague, this week broke his silence after years under the police probe.

He encouraged authorities to “bring on” any future investigations, claiming he had nothing to hide.

Mr Hague was charged with the teen’s murder in 1996, but the case against him was abandoned after one witness committed suicide, another overdosed and a third had a mental breakdown.

He told the Geelong Advertiser last week he had nothing to hide and defiantly encouraged authorities to “bring on” any future investigations.

“Bring it on because I didn’t do it. I won’t run.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...d/news-story/eb07390c5e07c6d6be6f94860d1218c6

6. Kimster

Why don't they call? Not only will they be doing the right thing, they'll get a MILLION dollars to do it!

MissyMoo and Lily like this.
  7. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

Thats interesting Kimster now whrn i think about it, i dont know if i have ever read a circumstance when VicPol have actually paid out rewards money??? - there would be $qwillion$ sitting there good to go especially for some of our murder cold cases. I know it wouldnt be front page news (keeping anonymity) but im going to look for some links to this.

Kimster and Lily like this.
  8. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Bronze Member

9. Kimster

10. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Karl Michael Hague, 44, was in April found guilty of killing Ricky Balcombe at Geelong's Market Square shopping centre on May 5, 1995 while letting out a 'frantic scream' like a 'frenzied animal'.

A Supreme Court of Victoria jury accepted prosecution claims Ricky was stabbed as payback for knifing Hague's Kingswood car during a gang fight two weeks earlier.

Hague, who was 21 at the time, denied the killing or even being present at the shopping centre at the time of Ricky's death.

On Wednesday, his barrister Felicity Gerry QC argued that while Hague intended to cause serious harm to Ricky, there was no evidence he intended to kill.

She said the killing was 'spontaneous' rather than premeditated.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...icky-Balcombe-death-Geelong-23-years-ago.html

Lily likes this.
  11. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Good news! Finally! And yet another of my 'pet' cold cases cleared... it's just amazing how many old cases have been solved this past few years, both here and overseas.

I hope Ricky's family have gotten some small relief from this arrest.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed likes this.