1. A GUILTY verdict has been reached in the McSTAY murder trial!
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. No Parole for Cop Killers is an ODMP program that makes it easy for you to urge parole boards to deny parole to convicted cop killers.
    In less than one minute, generate and mail a letter to parole boards with scheduled hearings for convicted cop killers.
    You can also subscribe to parole alerts.

http://www.odmp.org/noparole

Dismiss Notice
  3. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  5. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Help! ROBERT JAMES BROWN: 12-year-old missing, presumed murdered in Pefferlaw, Ontario - August 1968

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by RedRose, Jul 18, 2015.

1. RedRose

RedRose Well-Known Member

On the afternoon of Saturday, August 3rd 1968 Mrs Shirley Brown gathered up her 10 month old daughter Catharine, and 12 year old son Robert from Holmes Point beach, a resort beach located on the shores of Lake Simcoe (which is on the Eastern shores of the Chippewas of Georgina Island First Nation) to return to the Nazarene Camp in Pefferlaw where she was a Volunteer Cook. The day was hot in the 80’s with Robert wearing his swimsuit underneath blue jeans, with a black and red Plaid shirt and black work boots. He stood 5’ 4” tall, weighed about 83 pounds with short blond hair and was a young man who marched to the beat of his own drum. At approximately 4:30 PM Robert asked permission to walk the 2 miles to his home in Wilfred to his job of delivering the The Toronto Telegram Newspaper to 6 Customers. His Mother gave her permission as this was the first time Robert had walked home on his own. Ross Jr., Robert’s younger brother overheard him say to his Mother that when he finished his newspaper delivery’s he would return by riding his bike, then at the last minute he changed his mind and said he would wait at home for the family. The family returned home with Shirley starting supper when her husband Ross came through the door from his work at Canadian Tire Store in Sutton. When he inquired about the whereabouts of Robert because he was not home he and his son Ross Jr. went to where the papers were left to find them still at the curb where they had been dropped of by the delivery truck. Ross Sr. and Ross Jr. started looking for him. Unable to find Robert they returned home and at approximately 9:30 PM phoned the Georgina OPP who were at their home within minutes. The next morning many volunteers holding hands waded into the lake searching for him. Air searches commenced. Nothing was found. As the week progressed with OPP interviewing people who knew Robert said they had seen him at the beach. A lifeguard reported seeing him at the Beach at approximately 4:30 PM. Another said they had seen him near a restaurant on Georgian Beach at 5:30 the next afternoon. Some people said they had seen him on Hwy 48 talking to another boy who was unknown to them. Years later Robert’s brother, Michael then 6 years old, confessed that he had seen Robert walking along Hwy 48 on the curve as he rode past with another family as he was with that family for the day. Also on Friday August 2nd, Robert had gone on a date with a girl named Toni, who was a ward of the Children’s Aid Society, to a carnival which was put on by the local Lions Club and had returned home after midnight. He had been grounded for his misdeed.

So what happened to Robert after he left camp Nazarene never to be seen again?

Ladyslug, GarAndMo49, Kimster and 2 others like this.
  2. RedRose

I dislike it when young adults and children become cold cases and then fall through the judicial cracks. Mmmmm, I'm trying to up load a picture of Robbie sometimes called Bobbie, but there seems to be a problem.

Ladyslug, GarAndMo49 and Lily like this.
  3. RedRose

I realize this case is 47 years old, however I am asking anyone, with hopefully a long memory, who was in this area during the summer of 1968. Either working part time, full time, vacationing, living there, dealing drugs, attending the Nazarene Camp, working part time for 'The Lions Club' Carnival, or worked full time for the Carnival to reach back in your memory and see if this description of a male rings a bell.

At that time he would be:
    1) tall and thin, bad teeth, high, wide forehead, poor eyesight, who took drugs, possibly Meth.

2) He would have had a rage which would have suddenly erupted.

3) He may have Worked at the Carnival, or in the area, exercising horses, a grey horse in particular, an Arabian Horse.

4. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

RedRose, may I ask - where'd you get this very specific description? Is this is a known child molester? Someone you saw, yourself?

Reading about Robbie's case is heartbreaking.. his poor family, still waiting for answers after all these years. I'm happy to help dig stuff up, but a source to go on would be great, if you want to find this man you've described.

Ladyslug, GarAndMo49 and WindStorm like this.
  5. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Apparently there was a rash of missing kids around that era, in Canada. Will be looking into that too, I think.

GarAndMo49 and WindStorm like this.
  6. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Here's a picture of Robbie:

[​IMG]

This has to be accurate, as it appears on a website created to support the families of missing people, by Robbie's brother.

Courage to Cope: http://home.cogeco.ca/~couragetocope/

From the website:

In spite of all known efforts to find Robbie, there were no clues, no hints, and no answers to help us understand what might have occurred on that terrible day. Who could do such a thing and why, are questions that may never be answered.

Thirty-five years have passed since Robbie disappeared. Our experiences through those years have caused us to want to help others who have experienced similar losses.

According to the R.C.M.P., the number of missing children reports each year is in the tens of thousands. These numbers include runaways and parental, as well as stranger abductions.

There are organizations to help find missing children, and organizations to find those responsible for the child's disappearance. At "Courage to Cope" we want to support the families with missing children because we understand the pain.

7. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Here's details of some other boys, killed in 1968, approximately 3 hours' drive from where Robbie went missing:

Frankie Jensen February 9, 1968 - Age 9 Murdered - London, Ontario Canada: FOUND in Thorndale Ontario/UNSOLVED
    Frankie disappeared on his way to Westdale public school in London. His body was found two months later in the Thames River near Thorndale. He had a fractured skull and was partially clothed. It is unclear if he was sexually assaulted. 2009: NO UPDATES

Scott Leishman , February 15, 1968 - Age 16 Murdered - Thorndale, Ontario Canada : FOUND London Ontario /UNSOLVED
    - Scott, of RR 1, Thorndale, was missing for three months before his body was found in Port Burwell harbor on May 15. There were no signs of violence but some of his clothing was disturbed. It is unclear if he was sexually assaulted. NO UPDATE:2009 (PERSONAL NOTATION:)NOTE: Scott was last seen in THORNDALE six days after Frankie Jensen went missing in London, ON.

http://helpmakeitbetter.wikifoundry.com/page/1950+-+1969+Unsolved+Murders+and+Missing+-+Canada

8. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

9. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

I'm trying to understand the timeline. Did he go home from the Nazarene Camp or did he go to deliver the newspapers, but never made it?

When was the carnival?

When did the brother see him walking on Hwy 48?

10. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

Here's something of a timeline I found:

The mysterious case of Robert Brown, a young Georgina boy who went missing more than 40 years ago, continues to baffle police.

On Aug. 3, 1968, Robert was baby sitting his sister while his mother worked at Nazarene Church camp on Pefferlaw Road.

That afternoon, Robert’s mother took him swimming in Georgina Township near Holmes Point Road.

They left the park at about 4 p.m. and went back to the camp.

Robert was going to have dinner at the camp with his mother than go home to deliver newspapers, but changed his mind and told his mother he would walk to their home in Wilfrid and return to the camp later on his bike.

He told his mother not to worry if he didn’t come back because that would have meant he’d just hang around the house.

Robert was seen leaving the camp at 4:30 p.m. on foot heading toward the beach by an eyewitness who was camping the area.

At about 4:45 p.m., he was seen in the beach area by another camper who had seen Robert and his mother earlier in the day.

At 5:30 p.m., two Pefferlaw teenagers saw Robert standing near the former Oakes Restaurant on Holmes Point Road.

It was the last time he was seen.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...-in-40-year-old-case-of-missing-georgina-boy/

spike, Ladyslug, GarAndMo49 and 3 others like this.
  11. WindStorm

WindStorm Bronze Member

Thank you!

12. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

13. RedRose

This cold case is from many years, (off and on, when a brick wall is hit and frustration sets in) of shoe leather and speaking to people. The one thing I have been unable to find out is where the Carnival went next. Which town?

14. RedRose

Thank you for uploading a picture of Robert. He was a cute kid.

15. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I have a little bit of experience tracking carnivals - any information on it you have would be useful!

16. RedRose

This was one of those small rag-tag traveling Carnivals. Brought in by the Lion's Club. Not one of the bigger Carnivals that come to town during the Fall Fair with flower judging, baking judging, agricultural fairs rolled into one. As I understand it to be this was a weekend affair.

From the Nazarene Camp to get to Pefferlaw a person leaves the camp and turns left or heads East. This was a 2 mile walk from the Camp to Pefferlaw.

17. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

@ RedRose - if you ask these people nicely, they might be able to tell you the name of the company they hired for the carnival:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pefferlaw-Lions/1409936335894111

I noticed they're quite proud of their history, so there might still be records available for that, or somebody might even remember.

I've tracked smaller carnivals before in Washington, Oregon, etc, not sure how I'd go for Canada, but I'll give it a shot if you can locate the name.

spike, Ladyslug and GarAndMo49 like this.
  18. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I'm also checking council minutes of the era - I found 1969, nothing for '68 yet...

Was this fair/carnival a regular event? or just for that one weekend?

spike, Ladyslug and GarAndMo49 like this.
  19. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

There's been a few cases involving carnivals or perps working carnivals. The man who was arrested just this week in the Lyons cold case of 1975 has been known to sexually abuse girls in his past. http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...5-march-1975-age-12-10.1239/page-2#post-21735

Then there's the boy here in my state who went missing in 1986 after going to a fair, which had a carnival: http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...g-from-myrtle-point-or-august-1986-age-14.42/

I did a cold case feature a few years back about another in Idaho whose name escapes me at the moment.

I'd love to create a comprehensive timeline of these cases and learn which carnivals were involved. It would be interesting if we could find a link.

spike, Ladyslug, GarAndMo49 and 3 others like this.
  20. RedRose

Apparently for that weekend.