1. CONNECTICUT: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Vanessa Morales, 1, who is missing from her Ansonia home after her mother was found murdered.
    There is no suspect or vehicle information at this time.
    The last confirmed sighting of Vanessa and her mother was on Thanksgiving day.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NJ SARAH STERN: Missing from Neptune, NJ - 2 December 2016 - Age 19 *L. McATASNEY GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Missing 2015 to Present' started by Akoya, Nov 26, 2017.

1. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

Guilty verdict in New Jersey trial of man accused in classmate's murder

A man accused of murdering a former high school classmate and throwing her body off of a bridge in New Jersey has been found guilty.

WABC-TV reports, Liam McAtasney was convicted of strangling 19-year-old Sarah Stern in her Neptune City home before disposing of her body in the Shark River in Belmar.

The defense had claimed there was no physical evidence to support the accusations against McAtasney, who told a judge last week that he would not testify on his own behalf.

(Now, I hope Sarah can rest peacefully with her Mom!)

2. Summer_breeze

Summer_breeze Blowing through the Jasmine in my mind

Sarah Stern murder: 'It seems like there's no resolution' says dad

https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...ike-theres-no-resolution-says-dad/3686736002/
    Kathleen Hopkins, Asbury Park PressPublished 5:00 a.m. ET May 17, 2019

NEPTUNE CITY - Michael Stern had hoped by now to be past the cause of his daughter’s death and instead focusing on what she accomplished in her life.

But there’s been an impediment to moving on — Sarah Stern’s killer is still awaiting punishment.

Liam McAtasney, who was Sarah’s friend since childhood, was supposed to be sentenced for her murder and related crimes on May 24, but now his sentencing has been adjourned so that the judge who is presiding over the case can consider a motion for a new trial.

spike, kdg411 and Paradise like this.
  3. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

So, wait, he's been found guilty. Isn't a motion to appeal done after sentencing?

Paradise likes this.
  4. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

It’s different in each state

spike and kdg411 like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

If You Love True Crime, Then You Need to Watch ‘The Betrayal of Sarah Stern’

Gather round, true-crime fans, because we have a story that you absolutely need to hear—and watch. It involves a young woman, an abandoned car, a huge chunk of money, and ultimately, a disturbing confession captured on video.

Tonight, NBC’s Dateline will air a two-hour special episode, “The Betrayal of Sarah Stern,” that looks into the twists and turns of the impossible-to-believe true-crime story.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/a27481232/sarah-stern-murder-nbc-dateline/

This aired on May 17. You may be able to watch it here: https://www.nbc.com/dateline/video/the-betrayal-of-sarah-stern/3955652

spike, Kimster, KareBear and 2 others like this.
  6. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

The man convicted of killing 19-year-old Sarah Stern will not be granted a new trial after a Superior Court judge on Friday rejected his argument that the verdict was a "miscarriage of justice," the Asbury Park Press is reporting.

Sentencing for Liam McAtasney, who in February was found guilty of the robbery and murder of his Neptune City friend in December 2016, had been scheduled for today but the sentencing was postponed after his attorney sought to throw out the verdict.

The 21-year-old faces life in prison when he is sentenced 9 a.m. June 14.

No New Trial

7. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I'll never ever understand these people who walk among us who can plan a murder for months in advance. I mean, do they think about it everyday? Do they talk to other human beings and not care about a soul? It's scary, it's very scary.

8. Kimster

I'm going to try to find this on YouTube tonight.

spike and Paradise like this.
  9. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

spike, Kimster, kdg411 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kimster

I just watched it. It makes me feel so sad! I want so badly to go back in time and warn her about what's going to happen. I still just can't believe they did that to her and they had no remorse whatsoever. Not one bit.

spike, kdg411, Paradise and 2 others like this.
  11. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Sarah Stern murder: 'Sarah's death just haunts me,' dad says as killer's sentencing looms

McAtasney, 21, of Neptune City, is expected to stand before a judge Friday to be sentenced for the strangulation murder of his former high school classmate and longtime friend.

When he does, Superior Court Judge Richard W. English has no choice but to sentence McAtasney to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Under the law, the fact that a jury found McAtasney killed Stern in the course of a robbery mandates that he be imprisoned for life.

That suits Michael Stern just fine, but it offers him little consolation.

“That’s what he should get," Michael Stern said of the life prison term his daughter’s killer faces. “He shouldn’t get any less, that’s for sure.

“I will feel that there is some justice, but other than that, it doesn’t bring Sarah back and it doesn’t make me feel any better," Michael Stern said.

“Sarah’s death just haunts me," he said. “It’s a horrible feeling."

Michael Stern, who expressed dismay that the sentencing of his daughter’s killer has been postponed several times since then, said he will be in court Friday with Sarah’s friends and relatives, some of whom will be wearing her favorite color, purple, and wristbands made by her childhood friend, Carly Draper.

Michael Stern said he plans to address the judge. But, he said he has nothing to say to the man who took the life of his only child.

“No, not a word," he said.

McAtasney’s attorney, Carlos Diaz-Cobo, said he’s unsure whether his client will have anything to say to the judge or the victim’s family before he is sentenced.

But, Michael Stern said, “I don’t want to hear anything from him — not a thing."

Asked if he could ever forgive McAtasney, the bereaved father said, “Absolutely not."

Michael Stern said he just wants the court case to be over with.

“It still won’t make things right," he said. “It won’t make me feel any better, but I won’t have to be consumed by this as I have for the last 2½ years.

https://www.app.com/story/news/2019...-dad-her-killers-sentencing-looms/1446602001/

12. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Sarah Stern murder: Killer McAtasney sentenced to spend his life in prison

Liam McAtasney, the Neptune City man who strangled childhood friend Sarah Stern and threw her body off a bridge in a robbery that netted $10,000, on Friday was ordered to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Superior Court Judge Richard W. English sentenced the 21-year-old to life in prison without the possibility of release on parole for Stern’s murder — a mystery that captivated the nation since the 19-year-old budding artist from Neptune City vanished without a trace on Dec. 2, 2016.

In addition to the life term, the judge imposed a consecutive 10-year term on McAtasney for disposing of the victim’s body, which English said devastated Michael Stern further.

https://www.app.com/story/news/2019...y-sentenced-spend-his-life-prison/1461596001/

13. Summer_breeze

Summer_breeze Blowing through the Jasmine in my mind

Sarah Stern murder: Accomplice Preston Taylor to be sentenced Friday

https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...e-preston-taylor-sentenced-friday/1570140001/
    Andrew Ford, Asbury Park PressPublished 11:55 a.m. ET June 26, 2019 | Updated 1:13 p.m. ET June 26, 2019

Sarah Stern's body has never been found, but Friday the case against the admitted accomplice in her 2016 strangulation murder is expected to conclude.

Preston Taylor, 22, testified that he helped Liam McAtansey, 21, dump Stern's body off the Route 35 bridge in Belmar. McAtansey was convicted of killing Stern, a childhood friend, and sentenced to life in prison.

Taylor is scheduled to be sentenced Friday morning after pleading guilty to six charges

14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Sarah Stern murder: Accomplice Preston Taylor sentenced to 18 years in prison

The young man who took Sarah Stern to her junior prom and later helped his roommate throw her body off a bridge for a share of the $10,000 she was murdered for was sentenced Friday to 18 years in prison.

Before Preston Taylor, 22, of Neptune learned his punishment for his role in the 19-year-old Neptune City woman’s demise, he apologized for taking part in the deadly scheme with former roommate Liam McAtasney, Stern’s childhood friend, who was found guilty in February of her murder.

Michael Stern, Sarah's father, didn't want to hear anything Taylor had to say. He got up and walked out of the courtroom with his girlfriend, Kristine Eckert. They returned only after Taylor had finished his statement.

English ordered Taylor to serve 85 percent of the 18-year prison sentence, or 15 years and three months, before he can be considered for release on parole.

https://www.app.com/story/news/2019...preston-taylor-sentenced-18-years/1551717001/

kdg411, Paradise, Akoya and 1 other person like this.
  15. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

INJUSTICE WITH NANCY GRACE: What happened to beautiful teen girl Sarah Stern?

On December 1, 2016, Sarah Stern sent an emoji of a shooting star to her father after he texted her a few pictures from Walt Disney World. That single, lighthearted exchange turned poignant when Dad realized later it may be the last message he would ever receive from his beautiful, dark-haired teen daughter, a bubbly, budding artist from small-town New Jersey.

Just 48 hours later, Sarah’s car was found abandoned on the side of an obscure bridge off a lonely route, Belmar. Looking over the side of the bridge and down into the dark swirling waters, police thought death by suicide. Police raced to the family home in the family’s very close-knit, tree-lined neighborhood and it was then that the investigation, like the dark waters, became even murkier.

Everything was in its’ place except for one thing. Sarah’s beloved dog, Buddy, was locked in his crate next to a closed container of specialty dog treats. Sarah’s dad was out of town on vacation and immediately everyone knew Sarah would never leave her best friend, Buddy, unfed, unwatered and locked in a cage. Even when other friends insisted she planned to take off to be with a new boyfriend in Canada, the “Buddy” piece of the puzzle didn’t “fit” either scenario.

CrimeOnline spoke with Nancy Grace, who explores the gripping, heartbreaking case that rocked the small community of Neptune City, on “Injustice with Nancy Grace,” airing this Saturday at a special time, 9pmE/8pmC on Oxygen.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2019/08...-happened-to-beautiful-teen-girl-sarah-stern/

Akoya, Paradise and kdg411 like this.