1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

SD SERENITY DENNARD: Missing from Rapid City, SD - 3 Feb 2019 - Age 9

Discussion in 'Missing 2015 to Present' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Feb 4, 2019.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Children's Home staff called 911 later than initially reported

After a girl ran away from a residential youth home around 10:45 a.m. on Sunday, staff at the rural Pennington County facility called 911 more than one and a half hours after she went missing.

The timeline of 9-year-old Serenity Dennard's disappearance was confirmed by Helene Duhamel, spokeswoman with the Pennington County Sheriff's Office, and Bill Colson, executive director of the Children's Home Society, which runs the Black Hills Children's Home near Rockerville.

"We have been reviewing the events of Sunday and have confirmed that the 911 call was placed at 12:26," Colson wrote in an email on Thursday. "When Serenity left staff sight on Sunday, we immediately conducted a thorough search of our grounds and buildings. When we were unable to find Serenity we called law enforcement."

Colson initially said on Monday that Dennard ran away before noon and staff called 911 "right away."

While dozens of people on social media have been asking why the staff didn't call 911 sooner, Duhamel said there's no one right time to call police in a situation like this.

"There is no set standard for how long people should wait before they call for help. It's case by case with a lot of variables," she said.

After Children's Home staff called 911 at 12:26 p.m., Duhamel said, a deputy arrived on scene by 12:45 p.m. By 1:16 p.m., four deputies were on site. At 1:28 they requested assistance from Pennington County Search and Rescue.

Investigators later determined that someone heading to the Children's Home around 11 a.m. was probably the last to see Dennard, Duhamel said. She was near the cattle guard in front of the Children's Home and heading north on South Rockerville Road.

Dennard went missing around 10:45 a.m. Sunday morning when she ran away from the Children's Home while playing inside the facility's gym, Colson previously said. Dennard

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_858f5891-3543-55bd-81b3-bd372ab25f82.html

GarAndMo49, Kimster, kdg411 and 2 others like this.
  2. Whatsnext

Whatsnext Well-Known Member

Civil Air Patrol plane used in the search for Serenity Dennard

By Alexus Davila |

Posted: Thu 5:48 PM, Feb 07, 2019 |

Updated: Fri 8:24 AM, Feb 08, 2019

RAPID CITY, S.D, (KOTA TV) - To help in the search for Serenity Dennard, the Civil Air Patrol was called on Monday.

Civil Air Patrol Col. Mike Beason woke up at midnight on Sunday with a call asking for his help.

Beason found a pilot in Rapid City to fly Monday at 7:30 in the morning.

Meanwhile, Beason helped command the pilot from a center in Spearfish.

The pilot flew in a star pattern to try to see through the rough terrain in the Rockerville area. They used the Black Hills Children's Home as the center point.

Beason said the pilot had good visibility by flying below the clouds.

The plane flies at 100 mph, a disadvantage to the search. To combat the fast speed, the plane had two crew members so they had more eyes on the ground.

"The search from the airplane may not be terribly effective but if they want to be found chances are we'll see them. We can certainly see footprints in the snow so that's the kind of detail we can see from an airplane," says Beason.

Beason says after four hours the plane needed gas. So a second plane came from Spearfish. But the search did not last as long because by then the clouds became a problem for the pilot.

https://www.kotatv.com/content/news...nd-9-year-old-Serenity-Dennard-505535541.html

3. Whatsnext

All those people are looking for you, Serenity :)! I wonder if somebody picked her up, but I guess that would have been a random person, since all of this seemed to be a spontaneous thing...:thinking:

4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I'm sure they've checked with all known associates. With the press coverage, I think if a good person picked her up they would have notified someone by now. So if she did get picked up, someone she knows is really good at hiding her, or a person with bad intentions happened to come across her.

I just fear that she hunkered down all bundled up near a tree/log/bushy area that is making her impossible to see.

Reminds me a bit of Asha Degree. She left her home in a storm in February (in North Carolina, tho...raining). Still don't know, almost 20 years later, if she was picked up or became lost. Though foul play is suspected.

GarAndMo49, noZme, spike and 5 others like this.
  5. KareBear

KareBear Well-Known Member

Putting myself in Serenity's shoes...
    To be this child, to feel that I am better off running into the woods, alone, in the bitter cold, rather than stay at the children's home, causes me to speculate their treatment. I don't mean to place blame, be presumptuous or accusatory, and I know these are troubled youth, but two children on the same day trying to get away from there causes me to wonder..
    I hope the other children are interviewed and that the children's home is investigated for the well-being of these children.
    Continuing to pray for her safety and warmth, as well as, her family who is worried sick, I'm sure!! :praying::candle:

GarAndMo49, Blue G 3 and noZme like this.
  6. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

He's laying on His Paws, And his Whiskers have frost on them. In above Pic with Handler, He is holding up Right hind leg. They can develop "Frostbite" on the Pads of their Paws.

GarAndMo49, noZme and Kimster like this.
  7. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

Unfortunately I don't think they will find Her alive. It's been 5 Days. Either She froze to death. Or became so cold She accepted a Ride from an Opportunist. Either way. It's an awful end for this little Girl. It sounds like the "Home" is diligent. But by some Miracle I hope they find Her ALIVE! "Serenity" WHY DID YOU RUN AWAY HONEY ?! EVERYONE IS LOOKING FOR YOU! :vigil:

8. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Search for missing girl in Black Hills to expand starting Saturday

The search for a missing South Dakota girl will expand over the weekend with the use of a helicopter, scent and cadaver dogs and dozens of authorities on the ground.

Authorities will bring in seven scent and cadaver dogs from the region to look for Dennard. Meanwhile, a helicopter will be used for five hours each day with spotters from the Pennington County Sheriff's Office.

About 35-40 people will be involved with the weekend searches on the ground including the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office, Pennington County Search and Rescue, North Haines Volunteer Fire Department, Box Elder Police Department, Rapid City Police Department, South Dakota Game Fish and Parks and US Forest Service law enforcement.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...tarting-saturday-serenity-dennard/2818369002/

GarAndMo49, spike, noZme and 5 others like this.
  9. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

GarAndMo49, noZme, spike and 3 others like this.
  10. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

Thank You for all that detail "SheWho"! WOW!:thankyou:

11. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

Seems kind of useless they used the Dogs on the same routes as People. And that one line to the right that is Completely straight is weird. I wonder what they followed?.

12. spike

spike Bronze Member

13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I just picked up on a few things on the search grid. Didn't look to closely before I guess. Seems one of the dogs "Loki" picked up on something in the lower left area. And then small footprints noted in the upper left. Also seems like a shirt and jacket were found north of the home. Haven't heard anything on her clothes being found (and I don't think she was wearing a jacket) so likely unrelated.

14. KareBear

KareBear Well-Known Member

Still no sign of her!?? Oh man.. :tears:

15. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

I know "KareBear". This is so bad.

GarAndMo49, Whatsnext and KareBear like this.
  16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Girl still missing after weekend search

A weekend search party with more than 50 people, a helicopter and seven dogs was not able to find missing 9-year-old girl Serenity Dennard.

Officials plan to regroup on Monday and hope for a break in a weather in order to melt some of the deep snow and make search conditions more bearable with warming temperatures.

More than 200 people and 14 specialty dogs have participated in the now week-long search for Dennard.

On Sunday, 56 people and six dogs searched throughout the day.

The Pennington County Water Rescue Team was called in on Sunday after some dogs showed interest in a small creek. Crews broke through the ice to search the water underneath but did not find Dennard.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_88db493c-8e79-567d-a48f-cbda06eb3f29.html

17. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

This sadly, Makes me think someone took her.

KareBear likes this.
  18. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

They hope for "A break in the weather in order to melt some of the deep snow and make search conditions more bearable with warming temperatures. This seems more ominous. Where are you Serenity?!:vigil: This gets worse, Minute by Minute. It's been 8 Days.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed likes this.
  19. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

I would naturally think this too. It seems the "Childrens Home" with their 1 worker for every 2 Children, They are on it. When she ran away, She ran one way and another Child ran another. So I think they planned it. And the worker stated the other Child was chased after. And the other Worker stayed for the other Children, And called for help. And it had been stated she was thought to be trying to make it "Home". So I think She missed her Family. She was in the "Children's Home" for a reason in the first place. And not at "Home", For whatever reason. I think they are definately investigating the "Children's Home". And I have not heard anything come out of anything suspicious. AT THIS TIME. But them calling later than stated is suspicious. Maybe they thought they would find her themselves and certainly didn't want to get the Authorities involved until absolutely necessary. But this was obviously a BIG MISTAKE!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    ima.grandma and KareBear like this.
  20. Whatsnext

Right now I don't think somebody took her , I think that they will find her in a place already searched. But I defenitely read the Missing 411 books too many times....:oops: So if I 'm wrong, don't crucify me:oops:o_O. I absolutely prefer Serenity to be at a safe place somewhere :(.