1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Shawn Grate - Ohio serial killer *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by noZme, Sep 14, 2016.

1. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Ohio - Ashland, Madison, Richmond County
    Homeless man, Shawn Michael Grate, 40, is confessing & leading police to bodies

Confirmed victims: Stacey Stanley who had been reported missing
    another unnamed woman who had been abducted & held but escaped

Nick Foley‏@nfoley1418
    Richland Co. Coroner and #mansfieldpolice just arrived at location where suspect Shawn Grate directed them to body

Alyssa RaymondVerified account‏@AlyssaRaymond
    Forensic team from Mercyhurst College here in Richland County to process, remove and ID body found in woods.

Bob Jones WEWS ‏@bobjonesTV 13h13 hours agoSuspect in murders of 3 women id'd as Shawn Michael Grate, 40. 2 victims found in Ashland home. 1 found near Mansfield in woods. @WEWS

Uno2Much, MULDER, Kimster and 4 others like this.
  2. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

A third body was discovered near a burned-out Richland County house Tuesday after authorities were led there by a man taken into custody at an Ashland house where two bodies were found earlier in the day.

Shawn Grate, 40, is being held in the Ashland County Jail on a kidnapping charge in a connection case. The suspect has admitted to murdering three women.

The Richland County discovery was the latest twist in a case that started about 6:40 a.m., when a woman who had been abducted and held in a Covert Court house in Ashland called police and was found alive.

The remains of two bodies were found in the same house by authorities, who took a man into custody in connection with the abduction. Once in custody, Grate admitted to a 3rd murder & advised polive where to find the body in the neighboring county.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/ohio/press-conference-set-about-ashland-incident/317960228

Uno2Much, MULDER, Ladyslug and 3 others like this.
  3. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

Family members of missing woman Stacey Stanley were searching at an unoccupied house where Grate was holding the unnamed woman. He was distracted & she was able to escape. Bodies of 2 other women were found in that house & after he was taken into custody, the suspect led police to another woman's body that he admitted to have killed.

Stacey Stanley has been confirmed to be one of the dead.

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...d-and-richland-county-murder-scenes/90329680/

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/videos/news/49918562001/5122701305001/

MULDER, Kimster, Ladyslug and 3 others like this.
  4. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

ASHLAND, OH (WOIO) -The bodies of three women were found in Ashland and Richland counties on Tuesday. The crime scenes are only 11 miles apart.

Family members of Stacey Stanley said Ashland police told them Tuesday night that one of the bodies in a home on Covert Court was identified as the 43-year-old missing mother. Stacey's body was identified by rings and tattoos that family members recognized. Stacey went missing on Sept. 8.

Wednesday afternoon the Ashland County Coroner confirmed one of the bodies recovered was Stanley. No cause of death has been determined.

"We just saved that girl's life," Ronald Stanley, Stacey's uncle said. "My niece's son was banging on that door last night. This guy got rattled. We shook his cage and he got careless. He left his cellphone near where she (woman who was rescued) dialed 911. Thank God to my family and friends. We just saved that girl's life."

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/33091772/son-fears-ashland-body-is-his-mom-family-upset-with-police

Suspect in found bodies case had squatted at Mansfield scene

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/33...ansfield-could-be-connected-to-ashland-bodies

MULDER, Kimster, Ladyslug and 3 others like this.
  5. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...ned-out-house-near-where-body-found/90347210/

a 911-call released Wednesday by Ashland police reveals the dramatic rescue of a woman who had been held hostage at the same Covert Court address by a man who had a Taser. The victim's name and address was redacted from the lengthy call.

On the call from her captor's cellphone, the woman can be heard whispering to dispatchers, telling them "I've been abducted" and that she was being held hostage in a house near the Fourth Street Laundromat. She said her captor, whom she identified as Shawn Grate, was sleeping.
    The dispatcher later works to get the victim to an outside door, as the victim whispers and tries not to wake the suspect.

"Can you see them?" the dispatcher said, referring to the police outside.

"Can you get out of the bedroom?" she asked. The victim said the door had no knob.
    Early in the 911 call, when it seemed Grate might be waking up, the dispatcher told the woman to put the phone down.

MULDER, Ladyslug, spike and 1 other person like this.
  6. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

MULDER, Ladyslug, spike and 1 other person like this.
  7. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

http://www.richlandsource.com/news/...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

Grate's ex-wife releases statement

Suspect has lengthy history with law enforcement

In Mansfield, he shows up in records dating to October 2012, when he allegedly helped another suspect get away with shoplifting at a Dollar General on Lexington Avenue.

In March 2013, his ex-wife, Amber, reported receiving threatening calls from Grate. The police report states Grate made the call because “she hasn’t given him any financial support since their divorce in December.” Amber had custody of the child and did not allow visitation, according to the police report.

In August 2014, Grate was charged with theft, receiving stolen property and for possession of marijuana after a call reporting suspicious behavior that involved Grate.

He was then charged with criminal mischief in April 2014 when he allegedly wrote “cheese” on a woman's window.

Police records show Grate violated probation four times from July 2014 to February 2015.

A theft incident in February 2015 alleged Grate stole jewelry items from another woman. The police report listed her as Grate’s girlfriend at the time. When Richland Source called the woman she denied knowing Grate.

According to his Facebook profile, Grate graduated from River Valley High School in 1995. One year later, he was convicted of burglary in Marion County. He was sentenced to four years in prison, but in 1997 his request for judicial release was granted and his sentence was commuted to five years of community control.

In 1999, Grate pleaded guilty to one count of abduction and was sentenced to five years of community control in Marion County. A second count of abduction and a child endangerment charge were dropped.

Grate’s Facebook profile indicates he started working at Mansfield’s Holiday Inn in 2015 as “a maintenance man.”

The hotel’s general manager declined to comment for this story.

According to Mansfield Baptist Temple Pastor Rob Kurtz, Grate attended the church on Stewart Road a number of years ago.

http://.cleveland19.com/clip/12733134/abduction-case-ashland-house-wasnt-abandoned

Owner of vacant house worked across the street, said building was checked weekly.

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/33...ntified-body-is-another-missing-ashland-woman

Friends worry unidentified body is another missing Ashland woman

Julia Tullos@JTullosCBS19
    #breaking: Shawn Michael Grate will be arraigned at 5:15pm. WATCH LIVE @cleveland19news

arraignment Friday at 3

Mel70, MULDER, Ladyslug and 1 other person like this.
  8. fran

fran Administrator Staff Member

Ohio serial killer accused of murdering three women now linked to TWO other unsolved slayings
    • Shawn Grate, 40, pleaded not guilty Monday to the slayings of two women and the abduction of a third woman
    • He is charged with killing two women - Elizabeth Griffith, 29, and Stacey Stanley, 43 - whose bodies were found in his house
    • He lead police to the body of a third woman, who has not been identified
    • Sources say he is now connected to two other slayings as well
    • Rebekah Leicy, who was murdered in 2015, and an unknown victim in 2007
    • Grates has reportedly confessed to his involvement to each of the killings
    At the weekend, a former partner of Grate - the mother of one of his several children - spoke to DailyMail.com about the years of abuse she suffered at his hands.

She said: ‘For a while the relationship seemed perfect to me. I was infatuated with him. He showed me attention, he was charming – he said what he knew you needed or wanted to hear. I was in love with him.

‘But he’s a very jealous man and he’s very controlling. People would tell me to leave him, to get out, that he was bad news and I would deny that he ever did anything to me – even when he was hurting me real bad.

‘The bruises would always be somewhere you couldn’t see – my legs or stomach or something.

‘But I always thought I could fix things. I had a child - I thought I had to fix things and be with him.

‘Now I look back and it chills me because I truly believe that if I hadn’t got out when I did I wouldn’t be sitting here talking to you today.’

It is several years since she last had any contact with her former lover but to this day his ex has genuine concerns that the career criminal – who worked with accomplices on several occasions – could somehow harm her or her family

She explained: ‘He’s where he belongs now but he knows people. Who knows what he could have done if he wanted to? I’m talking now because people need to know what he’s capable of but I won’t be named because I need to protect my family.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nked-TWO-unsolved-slayings.html#ixzz4KioP0KCA

MULDER, spike, noZme and 1 other person like this.
  9. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shawn-grate-police-find-5th-body-tied-to-suspected-ohio-serial-killer/

Police find 5th body tied to suspected Ohio serial killer

Shawn Grate, who entered a not guilty plea Monday on charges he murdered two women in Ashland, Ohio, was arrested Sept. 13 after a woman called 911 to report that she had been abducted.
    While processing the scene at Grate’s home, police discovered two bodies, later identified as missing women Elizabeth Griffin and Stacey Stanley.

Police said
    Grate led them to a third body buried in a wooded area behind a home in Mansfield, Ohio. The name of the female victim has not yet been released, but sources say she is from Canton and had not been reported missing.

On Saturday, the Marion County Sheriff’s Department confirmed that they were examining a fourth case possibly connected to Grate. According to the police, Grate confessed to murdering the woman and said she was his first kill.

Police say Grate killed her in 2005 after he became upset that she was delivering newspapers and magazines to everyone’s house but his. Her body was found March 10, 2007, and still has not been identified.

Sources say the fifth body, which was found Monday, belonged to a woman who was killed in March 2015.

Investigators believe Grate may be connected to more homicides.

MULDER, spike and fran like this.
  10. fran

So according to the article you linked here noZme, 2005 was his FIRST kill. OMG! I wonder how many in 11 years?

Horrifying to think of,
    fran

MULDER, Kimster, noZme and 1 other person like this.
  11. noZme

noZme Bronze Member

‘He’s obviously a serial killer’: Deaths of at least 5 women now linked, probed by Ohio police

Before authorities found the remains of three people in and around supposedly vacant Ashland and Richland County houses where Grate had apparently stayed, Grate was convicted of several misdemeanors and a couple of felonies. The charges span 20 years and three counties — Marion,
    Crawford and Richland.

Grate has served time in prison for burglary, but never for his prior abduction and domestic violence convictions.

• On Oct. 23, 1996, in Marion County, Grate and a juvenile accomplice broke into a home by prying open a sliding glass door, and stole jewelry and money. Grate was convicted of second-degree felony burglary and sentenced to four years in prison. He received judicial release after serving 180 days in prison and was given five years of probation.

• On Oct. 22, 1999, in Marion County, Grate approached two women with a long butcher knife while they were in a bedroom, blocking the doorway and hitting the women several times. One of the woman tried to leave to call 911, and he physically restrained her while she was holding Grate’s minor child. This led to an indictment on two third-degree felony abduction counts and one first-degree misdemeanor child endangering count. He pleaded guilty to one abduction count and was sentenced to five years of probation.

• On Dec. 22, 1999, in Marion County, his judicial release in the 1996 case was revoked due to the abduction charge, and Grate was sentenced to the remainder of the four-year prison term.

• On Jan. 19, 2007, in Crawford County, Grate was charged with misdemeanor counts of falsification, identity theft, obstruction, driving under suspension and false registration. For each of the five counts, he was sentenced to between 10 and 60 days in jail and required to pay fines ranging from $50 to $250.

• On July 7, 2009, in Crawford County, Grate was charged with possession of marijuana and fined $50.

• On June 10, 2010, in Crawford County, Grate was charged with first-degree misdemeanor domestic violence. After pleading guilty, Grate was fined $150 and was sentenced to 180 days in the Crawford County Correction Center, but got 10 days off for good behavior.

• On August 13, 2013, in Richland County, Grate pleaded guilty to charges of drug abuse, possession of drug paraphernalia and receiving stolen property. He was sentenced to 180 days in jail and fined $100 for each count.

• On July 15, 2014, in Richland County, Grate pleaded not guilty to possession of drug paraphernalia, but the case was dismissed.

• On June 20, 2016, in Richland County, a sheriff's deputy stopped Grate for suspicious behavior. He was wanted on a felony child support warrant. As the officer was relaying Grate's social security number to a dispatcher, Grate began to run and would not stop despite multiple requests. The officer attempted to stun Grate, but did not hit him. Grate escaped, but in the process lost his shoes, which the sheriff's department kept as evidence.

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...hawn-grate-has-had-many-run-ins-law/90362328/

MULDER, Kimster and spike like this.
  12. fran

23 count indictment filed against Shawn Grate, Ashland prosecutor to recommend death penalty

ASHLAND, Ohio - The Ashland County Prosecutor's Office announced Thursday a 23-count indictment filed against the man accused of murdering two women whose bodies were found in a vacant home earlier this month.

The indictment against 40-year-old Shawn Grate includes two aggravated murder charges — both of which are death penalty eligible.

“These are some of the most horrific crimes I’ve seen in my fifteen years as a criminal prosecutor,” said Prosecutor Christopher Tunnell. “Given these depraved actions and the gruesome evidence, I will be strongly recommending the death penalty if a jury finds this defendant guilty.”

Grate was arrested on Sept. 13 after the bodies of Elizabeth Griffith, 29, and Stacey Stanley, 40, were found at a home in Ashland. A third woman — whose identity has not been released and who is listed as Jane Doe in the indictment — was found alive at the home after she used Grate's phone to call police.

read more ........... http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...shland-prosecutor-to-recommend-dealth-penalty

MULDER, noZme and spike like this.
  13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Date set for Grate competency hearing

Accused serial killer Shawn Grate will be evaluated for his competency to stand trial on Jan. 6, 2017.

Ashland County Common Pleas Judge Ronald P. Forsthoefel issued a judgment entry Monday afternoon ordering the evaluation, which will be conducted via Skype.

Grate, 40, has been indicted on 23 felony counts and could face the death penalty if found guilty.

http://www.richlandsource.com/ashla...cle_20e4c312-b0a5-11e6-820f-5750236dd1d9.html

MULDER, fran, Kimster and 1 other person like this.
  14. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Every time one of these freaks is arrested, I get a cold chill down my spine as I wonder how many more of them are out there.

Mel70, MULDER, spike and 1 other person like this.
  15. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Ohio Police Trying to Identify Suspected Serial Killer Shawn Grate’s First Alleged Victim, Found in 2007

Authorities are still trying to identify the first alleged victim of Shawn Grate, the suspected Ohio serial killer who is charged with killing two women and a suspect in two more murders.

In September, Grate allegedly confessed to killing a woman in 2005 whose remains were found scattered across soybean fields off a Marion County country road in March 2007 by a man collecting cans.

But the identify of the victim — now known as Jane Doe — remains unknown, and Grate has not been charged in her death.

“It’s frustrating,” Marion County Sheriff Tim Bailey tells PEOPLE. “Very, very frustrating. Particularly for my people who want to identify her and get her back to her family.”

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/ohio-police-trying-identify-suspected-201318524.html

spike, fran and MULDER like this.
  16. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

It appears that this is the Jane Doe they are trying to identify in relation to Grate... https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4725

Found on March 10, 2007. Female, 15-22

There are 60 rule-outs.

spike and fran like this.
  17. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Is there a link for the UID Doe that is connected to Grate?
    Is she in NAMUS?

spike likes this.
  18. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Linked in my post above.

Here again, from NamUs- https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4725

MULDER and spike like this.
  19. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Accused Ashland serial killer pleads insanity

The man accused of killing at least four women in Ashland and Richland counties is claiming insanity.

Shawn Grate is charged with more than 20 counts, including murder, kidnapping and abuse of a corpse. His trial is scheduled to begin in November 2017.

Grate’s attorneys entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity in Ashland County Common Pleas Court on Tuesday.

http://fox8.com/2016/12/28/accused-ashland-serial-killer-pleads-insanity/

spike likes this.
  20. MULDER

MULDER Bronze Member

Oh gosh - so sorry @SheWhoMustNotBeNamed - I dont even know what I thought the link was for then :blush:
    Thanks for sorting me out there :)

he also forgot to claim HIGHEST CATEGORY LOSER - LIAR - MURDERER - KIDNAPPER - DEVIANT - SCUMBAG....
    :carryon:

Mel70, spike and SheWhoMustNotBeNamed like this.