1. ALABAMA: An AMBER Alert has been issued for Kamille McKinney, 3, abducted from a birthday party in Birmingham on Oct 12.
    The suspect vehicle has been located and a man has been taken into custody, but Kamille is still missing.
    Click HERE for more information

NEW JERSEY: An AMBER Alert has been issued for 5-year-old Dulce Alavez, abducted from a park in Bridgeton on September 16.
    She may have been lured into a red van by an unknown male, possibly Hispanic.
    Click HERE for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  4. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

IN SKYLEA CARMACK: Missing from Gas City, IN - 31 Aug 2019 - Age 10 *Found Deceased*

Discussion in 'Located/Resolved' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Sep 2, 2019.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

URGENT MISSING! SILVER Alert issued for girl feared to be in extreme danger

upload_2019-9-2_20-20-28.jpeg

Authorities in Indiana have issued a statewide SILVER Alert for a 10-year-old girl who reportedly vanished on Saturday.

The Gas City Police Department said in a Facebook post on Monday that they, along with Indiana State Police and other agencies, plan to conduct “specialized searches” for Skylea Carmack. Police said she was last seen at 4 p.m. in the 200 block of East South D Street in Gas City.

Authorities said in the alert that they believe Carmack is in extreme danger and could require medical assistance. Additional details regarding her disappearance were not immediately available.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2019/09...sued-for-girl-feared-to-be-in-extreme-danger/

All out search in Gas City; volunteers try to flush out leads about missing 10-yr. old girl

Family, friends, volunteers and police are on a mission, going door to door, asking residents if they have any idea what happened to 10-year old Skylea Rayn Carmack.

The girl disappeared from her home Saturday afternoon, and hasn’t been seen since.

Volunteers on foot or in golf carts made their way around town Labor Day, with flyers in hand, knocking on doors of residents, asking if they had seen any sign of the missing girl.

“My daughter and I, we went out, and we were part of the search team until about 3:30 Monday morning, so we were out walking everywhere, it’s a sad situation,” said Shelli Dawson.

Police were involved in coordinating the search effort.

“We haven’t learned a whole lot more than we’ve known from the get go, and that’s the scary part,” said Sgt. Micah Burdette with Gas City police.

Flyers were put on car windshields and the front doors of businesses downtown.

Skylea’s dad is holding onto hope that she’s alright.

“We haven’t been able to find any tracks, none of her belongings laid around anywhere, so right now we’re just really in a panic because we can’t find anything,” Kevin Carmack said.

Indiana State Police have declared a statewide silver alert.

Skylea is five feet tall, weighing about 100 pounds, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

She was last seen wearing a black shirt with Mario and Luigi on it.

She was also wearing black pants with cherries or some sort of red design on them.

She had on teal high top tennis shoes and may be carrying a pink backpack, blanket with puzzle pieces on it and a pillow.

https://fortwaynesnbc.com/news/top-...er-alert-issued-for-missing-10-year-old-girl/

MEDIA - https://crimewatchers.net/forum/ind...-saturday-august-31-2019-in-gas-city-in.4679/

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    KareBear, spike, kdg411 and 1 other person like this.
  2. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Community searches for missing 10-year-old from Gas City

A family in Gas City is desperately searching for a 10-year-old girl.

Skylea Carmack has been missing since ‪Saturday afternoon. She was last seen at her home on the 200 block of East South D Street.

Skylea’s father believes she ran away. However, police are not ruling anything out at this point.

Skylea’s father, Kevin Carmack, said he’s grateful for the support of the community.

“It’s been amazing. I couldn’t have asked for a better turnout,” said Kevin.

He said he was at work and Skylea was home with her stepmom when she went missing Saturday. He believes his daughter ran away because she was grounded and upset about it.

“And it just went a little too far and she got stuck and now she’s just scared to come home cause she’s afraid now she is going to be in even more trouble,” said Kevin.

If that’s the case, he wants her to know she won’t be.

“We’re not even mad at this point we are just worried about her being OK just want her to come home,” said Kevin.

According to Kevin, Skylea took a purple autism awareness blanket, a pink backpack and a blue drawstring bag with “Sky” written on it. She was wearing teal converse shoes and a shirt with Mario and Luigi on it.

Photos show Skylea with darker hair but her father describes it as short and blonde right now.

He’s trying to stay positive but he does fear the worst.

“That she got lost, or she fell in one of these woods and she’s hurt and can’t get back out,” said Kevin.

Sunny Osborn lives next door to the Carmack family.

“I just hope they find her alive and well,” said Osborn. “We love you Skylea, just come home, safely.”

Her father said Skylea has a history of running away but usually she goes to his mom’s house.

“I have to remain hopeful that she is still OK and she is just hiding out with a friend or she found an old garage that she can hide in,” said Kevin.

https://cbs4indy.com/2019/09/02/community-searches-for-missing-10-year-old-from-gas-city/

KareBear, spike, kdg411 and 1 other person like this.
  3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

4. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Search for missing Gas City girl continues

The search for a missing 10-year-old girl in Northern Indiana is headed into a third day.

Dozens of volunteers went door-to-door Monday passing out flyers with Skylea's picture and asking for information. Her father, Kevin Carmack, said his daughter disappeared without a trace.

"We haven't been able to find any tracks," he said. "None of her belongings laid around anywhere, so right now, we're just really in a panic because we can't find anything."

In a Facebook post Monday afternoon, the Gas City Police Department expressed its appreciation for people who have volunteered to pass out flyers and said it is working with Indiana State Police, the Grant County Sheriff's Office and officers from other agencies.

"We will let the public know if there is anything else you can do to help," the post read.

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/search-for-missing-gas-city-girl-continues

spike, kdg411 and Kimster like this.
  5. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Really getting worried about Skylea… only ten years old.

No sign of missing Gas City 10-year-old after 3rd day of searching

After three full days of searching, police and family members say there is still no sign of missing 10-year-old Skylea Carmack from Gas City.

Her family said she’s been gone since ‪Saturday afternoon.

Indiana State Police have set up a temporary command center right outside the city. Sgt. Tony Sloccum said they re-interviewed people who are close to Skylea Tuesday.

“We’re still canvasing the neighborhood, searching for any witnesses looking for any video from nearby homes and businesses,” said Sloccum. “We’re utilizing drones provided by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.”

Skylea’s biological mom, Stacey Brandenburg, said she’s getting desperate to find her daughter. She and her sister have been stopping cars on the street to show pictures of Skylea.

“My baby is out here just anywhere, God only knows where, in the dark, by her poor little self,” said Brandenburg.

Skylea’s father, Kevin Carmack told us he thinks Skylea ran away ‪Saturday around 4 in the afternoon. He was at work and Skylea was at home with her stepmom and six other children in the house. But Kevin said Skylea’s stepmom waited until that night to report her missing. He said – because of that delay – the Department of Child Services took the other six children from the home to investigate.

We asked DCS about that investigation but a representative said DCS cannot legally comment.

“She’s just so little and so innocent, it’s not fair. Why would you let her leave? That’s what doesn’t make sense to me,” said Brandenburg.

Brenda Helmuth is Kevin’s mother and Skylea’s grandma. She said Skylea’s stepmom texted her about ‪9:30 p.m. Saturday to ask if she had seen Skylea.

“We know that the last time she tried to run away was through the Gas City Park,” said Helmuth.

Helmuth said Skylea was headed to her house that time. They searched that same path ‪Saturday night but didn’t have any luck.

“I mean Kevin is not getting sleep, I can’t sleep, you know we are all going and trying to find her, trying to see you know, what could have happened,” said Helmuth.

Stacey Brandenburg said she doesn’t think her daughter is in Gas City anymore. She hopes police and others move the search elsewhere.

“I made it to Louisiana at 12 years old by myself, so if I can do that, she can make it anywhere,” said Brandenburg.

https://fox59.com/2019/09/03/no-sign-of-missing-gas-city-10-year-old-after-3rd-day-of-searching/

KareBear, Kimster and kdg411 like this.
  6. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Body of missing 10-year-old girl found in plastic bag in shed, stepmother arrested for murder, strangulation
    Posted: 9:25 AM, Sep 04, 2019
    Updated: 9:58 AM, Sep 04, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GAS CITY — The body of a missing 10-year-old girl has been recovered inside a shed behind her home, according to Indiana State Police.

Skylea Rayn Carmack was reported missing Saturday evening. Indiana State Police say their preliminary investigation indicates that Skylea was killed sometime Saturday afternoon or evening.

Her body was found Wednesday morning around 3 a.m. in a plastic trash bag inside a shed behind her Gas City home.

[​IMG]
    Gas City Police Department
    Skylea's stepmother, Amanda Carmack, 34, has been arrested and charged in her murder. She's currently facing charges of murder, neglect of a dependent resulting in death, domestic battery resulting in death and strangulation.

[​IMG]
    READ | Search continues for missing 10-year-old girl

The preliminary investigation indicates that Skylea died from strangulation but her exact cause of death will be determined by the Grant County Coroner.

Multiple search crews have been out looking for Skylea since she was first reported missing. Crews had combed areas around Grant and Miami counties and have passed out fliers with Skylea's image on them in the hopes of helping to locate her.

[​IMG]
    Gas City Police Department
    Watch the full press conference with Indiana State Police below.
    https://www.theindychannel.com/news...ng-10-year-old-girl-found-in-shed-behind-home

KareBear, kdg411, spike and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Oh my gosh! I am really surprised. I didn't get an update since this was first posted so I had no clue they took the children away. If I would have known that earlier, I would have been better prepared for this horrible horrible news.

What a step-monster!

I was wondering why this girl kept running away and hoping that when she was found, her father would get down to the bottom of the problem.

KareBear, kdg411, spike and 1 other person like this.
  8. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Indiana is a death penalty state. I hope they find the special circumstances to put it on the table. No plea deals!

Mel70, Kimster, KareBear and 2 others like this.
  9. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

I'm having a tough time believing dad knew nothing about this. His comments just seemed off to me.
    I could be totally wrong and he could have just been stressed out with his daughter missing. But for a 10-year-old to have a "history of running away" and the other kids to be removed so quickly... he had to have at least known something wasn't right.

Mel70, Kimster, KareBear and 3 others like this.
  10. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

I figured if something really happened to her,it was the step mom. I was hoping she just ran away though.:(

spike, KareBear, kdg411 and 2 others like this.
  11. guess who

guess who Bronze Member

Methinks the other 6 kids being taken away had a LOT more to do with other issues than just because they waited to report her missing.

Also, was she found with the described blanket and backpack, etc? If not, where are those items?

spike, KareBear, kdg411 and 2 others like this.
  12. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Stepmom charged in 10-year-old girl’s murder

If you have children, you know they can be a handful.

But what could a 10-year-old girl do that was so egregious as to drive her stepmother to allegedly strangle her?

We talked with experts to better understand this awful tragedy and whether the woman showed any warning signs ahead of time.

“If anybody was going through this, what would be your first clue? You’d go look for the child. You wouldn’t act like you don’t care. I mean, I’m not saying anything too mean, but it just don’t make any sense,” next door neighbor Sunny Osborn says.

Nothing about the death of Skylea Carmack makes sense, especially to Osborn who says 34-year-old Amanda Carmack had seemed to be detached from the frantic search for the missing girl.

“Why wouldn’t she be out looking for her stepdaughter? What would happen if it was one of her kids? I’d be out looking. Even if it wasn’t my kid, I’d be out looking,” she says.

Carmack posted several times a week on her Facebook page, but never about the fact that Skylea was missing.

And the community that turned out in droves to search for the missing girl has now turned on Carmack, posting hateful messages all over her page including this one that says, “We spent hours looking for Skylea on Sunday while you sat and posted like everything is fine in your world. You are a disgusting monster and I am truly sickened to learn that you did this.”

From Carmack’s Facebook posts, it appears her husband was frequently out of town for work, leaving up to seven children in her care ranging from age 13 to about 3.

Carmack also posted several times about having depression and dealing with a child who’s a handful, saying, “I’m at the end of my rope with this one.”

Forensic psychologist Dr. Stephen Ross says being overwhelmed with a lack of sleep and support can come to a head.

“It’s not just one factor, it’s a confluence of many factors. You just don’t see one thing that says I’m going to kill you. And then you may end up psychotic, and then you’re out of touch, and then you do. You may end up killing your child,” he says.

“It is never okay to take your anger and frustration out on a child,” says Dee Szyndrowski from SCAN, or Stop Child Abuse and Neglect.

Szyndrowski says she can see how overwhelming taking care of up to seven children would be.

“I don’t disagree with her Facebook posts. My sadness is that she didn’t go get help for that. Or none of her friends on her Facebook page reached out for help for her,” she says.

She says one of the worst things to come from Carmack’s arrest and charges is that the rest of the children will have to deal with it for the rest of their lives.

Experts say if you are struggling, there is no shame in asking for help.

You can call your police department, fire department, or even 911.

Stop Child Abuse and Neglect also works with agencies in 34 counties.

Call 1-800-752-7116, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

https://fortwaynesnbc.com/news/top-stories/2019/09/04/stepmom-charged-in-10-year-old-girls-murder/

spike, Kimster, KareBear and 2 others like this.
  13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Stepmother, 34, 'STRANGLED her 10-year-old stepdaughter and stuffed her body in a bag before throwing it in an shed and telling the girl's family she ran away'

Indiana authorities say that a 10-year-old girl was already dead when her stepmother told her family that that the girl had run away.

Amanda D. Carmack, 34, is said to have choked Skylea Carmack before hiding her body in the family's Gas City home shed.

Indiana State Police say that the woman faces preliminary charges of murder and other crimes, the Indy Star reports.

'In law enforcement, our main focus is who and how, not why,' ISP Sargent Tony Slocum said. 'Trying to rationalize why someone would kill a 10-year-old? There's no rationale for that. That's just an act of cowardice.'

The girl's body was found in a trash bag in the shed at approximately 3am on Wednesday, Slocum added.

She was strangled to death between 4.30 and 6pm on August 31, State Police said.

Carmack has been booked on preliminary charges of murder, neglect, strangulation and domestic battery, according to online records. She was booked into the Grant County Jail on Wednesday at 4.50am.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...edly-STRANGLED-10-year-old-step-daughter.html

spike, KareBear, Freebird and 3 others like this.
  14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Woman killed stepdaughter following fight over charm bracelet, police say

An Indiana woman is facing murder charges for reportedly killing her 10-year-old stepdaughter over a stolen bracelet.

Amanda Carmack faces charges for murder, neglect of a dependent resulting in death, domestic batter and strangulation. Grant County Prosecutor Rodney Faulk intends to seek life without parole for Carmack.

Investigators say she murdered 10-year-old Skylea Carmack on Aug. 31.

According to court documents, Amanda told investigators that she discovered Skylea had stolen a charm bracelet from one of the kids, then searched her bedroom and found the bracelet. She then said Skylea didn’t come down for dinner and that she couldn’t find her.

On Sept. 1, First Child Advocacy Center interviewed the six other children that live in the house. Three of the children are Amanda Carmack’s children. The other three are her brother’s children. The children told investigators that Amanda Carmack was physically abusive and that Skylea had been “confined to her room for the last week and a half.”

They said that they “would have to stand with their face against the wall with their hands in the air” for several hours when they were in trouble. They also said they would be whipped with a belt.

In an interview with detectives on Sept. 1, Amanda told investigators that she doesn’t hit the children, then later admitted to hitting Skylea with an open hand following the charm bracelet fight.

In this interview, detectives said Amanda displayed “numerous sings of deception.” When police asked her if she killed Skylea, she just stared back at detectives.

On Sept. 3, Amanda consented to and then failed a polygraph test conducted by the Grant County Sheriff’s Office.

Just after midnight on Sept. 4, investigators say that Amanda arrived at the Gas City Police Department. While sobbing on the floor, she admitted to killing Skylea, according to court documents.

“She stated she does not remember all of the details but she remembers being on top of her in the barn while she was on her back. She started choking her with her hands then she thinks she tied something around her neck,” court documents state.

A few hours later, her body was discovered in of a trash bag inside of a shed outside her home.

An autopsy ruled Skylea’s death a homicide by strangulation. Detectives believe she was killed between 4:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Aug. 31.

Online court records do not yet list a future court date for Amanda Carmack.

https://www.wfla.com/news/woman-killed-stepdaughter-following-fight-over-charm-bracelet-police-say/

spike, KareBear, Freebird and 3 others like this.
  15. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

According to the affidavit, an autopsy showed that clothing, apparently a pair of pants, was found “tied very tight” around Skylea’s neck. A pillow, blanket and backpack were found inside two bags within the trash bag containing the body.

According to the affidavit, Carmack would not explain why she killed Skylea, saying only that “she was very angry.” She told investigators she could not remember all the details of the killing but recalled being on top of the child, who was lying on her back.

(BBM)

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Docs-Stepmom-said-she-was-very-angry-when-she-14424627.php

16. Paradise

Paradise Media Mod

Praying this POS never has another day of peace in her pathetic life.

Mel70, spike, KareBear and 2 others like this.
  17. kdg411

kdg411 Resource Mod

https://www.wthr.com/article/stepmother-wants-represent-herself-murder-trial-10-year-old-girl
    https://www.wthr.com/article/prosec...mom-accused-killing-10-year-old-gas-city-girl

18. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

So she killed Skylea "in a rage" by TYING PANTS AROUND HER NECK?
    And then got it together enough to gather up a backpack, pillow, and blanket to make it look like she ran away.

How nice.

Mel70, spike, Kimster and 3 others like this.
  19. KareBear

KareBear Well-Known Member

:eek: *gasps* wow!
    I can't imagine how devastating this is for her family. Her biological parents had so much hope that she would be found safe, and all the while the evil step-mom knew that she wasn't going to be found safe, because she killed her and disposed her like trash :sniffle:.

The amount of guilt that the father must have, knowing that he left his baby in the hands of a monster, must be unimaginable. I hope the step-monster rots in prison till the end of her days (*if there was a sucker-punch emoji, it would be inserted here).

Prayers for her family, they're going to need it. RIP Skylea:candle:
    Nothing you could have done deserved this level of anger towards you, not even close. You didn't deserve this.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  20. spike

spike Bronze Member

Amen.

KareBear, Mel70, Kimster and 2 others like this.