1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

Slenderman Trial *Both suspects deemed mentally ill*

Discussion in 'Courtroom' started by Softail, May 27, 2015.

1. Softail

Softail Well-Known Member

Girls charged in Waukesha stabbing motivated by 'Slender Man' character

WAUKESHA --The two 12-year-old girls accused of holding down and stabbing their 12-year-old friend 19 times may have been motivated by a fictitious character named "Slender Man", a criminal complaint revealed Monday.

Morgan Geyser and Anissa Weier were both charged as adults with attempted first-degree intentional homicide, as a party to a crime.

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/W...gate-after-12-year-old-stabbed-261384231.htmlnvicted, they could each serve 65 years in prison.

There was a hearing today to put it back in juvenile court. The judge will rule in August.

2. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I vaguely remember hearing about this recently. I don't understand how they think they can charge 12 year olds as adults? I know this crime is heinous, but still, they are 12 years old. I probably need to read more about it so I can understand the reasoning behind charging them as adults.

3. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I think what was taken into consideration was that:

1. They planned the crime, intending to murder.
    2. The ferocity of the attack.
    3. Public pressure, probably.
    4. If tried as juveniles, they could get out in a very few years.

I honestly think that the courts are kind of behind the times where it comes to serious juvenile crimes like this. There needs to some restructuring to take into account that these killers ARE just children (and a long way from adult levels of development, no matter what the pitchfork crowd says), but also should not be automatically ejected from the prison system due to aging out. Some kind of balance? A special facility in each state, for kids of this nature?

I don't think they should be treated as adults. But I do think they should do the time for attempted murder.

Kimster, ~Lyric~ and Softail like this.
  4. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

MOO, the crime was premeditated, the girls showed no remorse when they talked to LE.

http://www.ibtimes.com/slender-man-...d-attempted-homicide-are-mentally-fit-1763289

~Lyric~ and Softail like this.
  5. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

They also showed they didn't really comprehend the reality of what they were doing or what they planned to do after, in general. There's mental health concerns. I can't see that they were acting as remorseless adults. IMO they were acting like selfish, obsessed, jealous, mean little girls.

6. MadgeS

MadgeS Bronze Member

Just moo, I believe they knew what they were doing"............ but they didn't care.

~Lyric~ and Softail like this.
  7. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

I do too, at least for the most part. But that doesn't make them adults.

8. Softail

MadgeS and ~Lyric~ like this.
  9. Softail

10. cinsbythesea

cinsbythesea Active Member

I agree. I'm still torn between actually trying them as adults or as juveniles- but like you I think they knew exactly what they were doing. They certainly planned it out and then carried it out.

I'm curious, are these girls in custody or are they out on bail?

MadgeS, ~Lyric~ and Softail like this.
  11. Softail

They are in custody.

MadgeS, ~Lyric~ and cinsbythesea like this.
  12. Softail

Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Michael Bohren heard testimony over two days on a request from Weier's attorneys to move her case to juvenile court. He said he would announce his decision on Aug. 10. A similar hearing is scheduled for Geyser in June.

Witnesses and experts for the defense testified at the hearing that the juvenile detention system is better suited to handle the now 13-year-old Weier's needs.

Both girls could be sentenced to up to 60 years in prison if convicted as adults in the stabbing. If convicted as juveniles instead, they could be imprisoned up to age 25 only.

Wisconsin law requires cases to begin in adult court if they involve juvenile suspects at least 10 years old who are charged with first-degree attempted intentional homicide

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/27/us-usa-crime-wisconsin-idUSKBN0OC2Z020150527

13. Softail

MadgeS, Kimster and ~Lyric~ like this.
  14. cinsbythesea

cinsbythesea Active Member

Softail! How am I supposed to get any work done today when you post such a great link?! Nonetheless- thanks for posting the link- great find! Now I have to figure out how to moderate myself and watch them...but still look like I'm getting some work done..

MadgeS, Kimster and Softail like this.
  15. Softail

LOL! You're welcome! :grin:

MadgeS and Kimster like this.
  16. Lily

Lily Bronze Member

This is just theory, and one that's in progress and might be wrong.. but I think Amanda Weier might be the more dangerous of the two, for several reasons.

Before she met Amanda, Morgan was best friends with the victim, and was not obsessed with Slenderman.

After Morgan and Amanda became friends, Morgan started treating the victim badly, basically threw her over for Amanda, and developed the Slenderman obsession. I've seen where the whole Slenderman thing may have originated with them (by looking at social media accounts, etc), and it comes from the Weier side as far as I can see.

So I'm thinking, Morgan is the unstable one, easily influenced and prone to obsessional thinking.

Amanda was the one with no friends, until she had Morgan. I think the victim stood in the way of Amanda having Morgan all to herself, and the Slenderman thing was a way to keep Morgan isolated and invested in an exclusive friendship. I think Amanda is the one who controlled most of the plot, even if it was Morgan who did most of the 'acting out' of it.

IMO, Morgan's the one in most need of proper psychiatric help, and Weier ... well, I think she needs help too. But she's a manipulator, as far as I see it, a different kettle of fish altogether.

17. Softail

The judge ruled they will be charged as adults!

Judge rules Wisconsin teens in 'Slender Man' stabbing case to be tried as adults

WAUKESHA, Wis. – A Wisconsin judge ruled Monday that two 13-year-old girls accused of stabbing a classmate to please the online horror character Slender Man will stay in adult court, where they could face a sentence of decades in prison.

Waukesha County Circuit Judge Michael Bohren said he was worried that the girls would stop receiving mental health treatment and be released into the community with no supervision when they exited the juvenile system at age 18. Keeping them in the adult system would protect people longer, the judge said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/1...nder-man-stabbing-case-to-be-tried-as-adults/

byo, WindStorm, spike and 2 others like this.
  18. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

Wow! I'm really surprised.

19. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Administrator Staff Member

Not guilty pleas entered for teens in Slender Man stabbing

A pair of 13-year-old girls accused of trying to kill their friend as a sacrifice to a horror fiction character called Slender Man sat silently in court Friday, prompting the judge to issue a not guilty plea on their behalf.

Judge Michael Bohren also said the young teens will stand trial together starting Oct. 15.

The girls each face a charge of attempted first-degree intentional homicide and could spend decades in prison if they're convicted in the 2014 attack.

The girls, 12 at the time of the stabbing, believed they would have a home in Slender Man's mansion after killing Payton, police say. After stabbing the girl and leaving her for dead, the girls started walking to a forest 300 miles away, where they believed Slender Man lived, police say.

The Associated Press has not identified the girls because an appeals court could move their cases to juvenile court, where proceedings are closed to the public.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/nationa_world-news/10519593-story

The girls are being named and having their pictures shown elsewhere. Looks like there's still a chance this could get moved to juvenile court, though.

Takeitfromme likes this.
  20. Takeitfromme

Takeitfromme Professional Journalist/News Reporter

This is a crazy case. I expect if it does not move back to juvenile court (I don't think it will) that this will be an interesting trial.... these girls are evil.

byo likes this.