1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NSW STEPHEN JELFS: Missing from Paddington, Sydney, NSW - 24 April 1978 - Age 21

Discussion in 'Australia: Missing & Unidentified' started by MarlyWings, May 27, 2015.

1. MarlyWings

MarlyWings Retired Staff

NSW Police Force

Police and family members have today welcomed a $100,000 reward for information relating to the disappearance of Paddington man Stephen Jelfs in 1978.

Mr Jelfs was 21 at the time of his disappearance and a Coronial Inquest in 2009 found that he was deceased, but that the cause of his death was unknown.

The investigation into his disappearance is now with the Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide Team.

Detective Chief Inspector John Lehmann from the Unsolved Homicide Team said Mr Jelfs was originally from Canberra, and had moved to Sydney at the age of 16 where he set up a florist and plant store in Paddington.

“Stephen lived in an apartment at Sutherland Street, Paddington, with his partner who last saw him at the address on 24 April 1978,” Det Ch Insp Lehmann said.

“He was a keen traveller, having travelled to Asia, Europe, the United Kingdom and the United States. He was also a member of Sydney’s gay community.”

Police have been told Mr Jelfs had been acting in a nervous and agitated manner in the months prior to his disappearance, which was out of character for him.

They were also advised that he had been associating with a person believed to be involved in the supply of prohibited drugs.

Extensive inquiries have been conducted by police, but the circumstances surrounding Mr Jelfs’ disappearance and death, including if there are suspicious circumstances, remain unknown.

The Homicide Squad is now hoping that the reward being offered by the NSW Government will be an incentive for someone to come forward, as are the family of Mr Jelfs who have travelled to Sydney for the reward announcement.

“I hope the reward will bring someone or something out to solve this matter which has haunted my family and myself for 38 years,” Stephen Jelfs’ father, Neville Jelfs, said.

The reward of up to $100,000 is available for information that leads to the conviction of a person or people responsible for the death of Stephen Jelfs.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/

Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/nswpoliceforce

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/stephen-jelfs-missing-from-australia.258/

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    DaisyChains and MissyMoo like this.
  2. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

Gosh every time I look at his face it reminds me of Jared Leto. How handsome. I hope answers come very soon in his case. I can see there was so much promise and life in those eyes. :praying:

What is strange about this is I get reminded of Pete John Doe in 1972 in Hacienda Heights, CA. Not that Pete Doe is this missing man from Australia bc obviously it's impossible given the dates, but I've always wondered if Pete Doe was from Australia, was gay, and was possibly involved in dodging the Vietnam draft as well as involved with someone or involved himself in drug dealing. I wonder who it was that dealt drugs that Stephen was seeing/associated with???? Could he be the same person who killed Pete Doe 6 years earlier? Could this drug dealer had taken Stephen on a similar trip to another country like he could have Pete Doe? Pete Doe even looks physically similar to Stephen, as if maybe someone is attracted to that look. Hm.

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/...und-shot-in-hacienda-heights-ca-nov-1972.551/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Cyndahrella, MissyMoo and MarlyWings like this.
  3. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

MissyMoo and MarlyWings like this.
  4. fox68

fox68 Member

Sounds like drugs were involved definitely, especially the fact that he warned that if anything happened to him etc.

Kimster likes this.
  5. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

"I met him in about 1974, he was up in Sydney from Canberra and as I lived on my own, I was asked if he could stay with me till he found somewhere to live. He was a great guy and I continued to see him around "the traps". He was mad about horticulture and would amaze me with his botanical knowledge including the botanical names for plants. He opened a plant shop/florist in Edgecliff and was a regular on the "John Laws Show". One day he just disappeared off the face of the earth.

Ironically my friend Stephen Dempsey who I met in 1978 when he was 18 was also mad about horticulture and had similar knowledge to Stephen J...of course Stephen D was missing for 5 months and sadly had been murdered. In 1995 I was in Martin Place and as it was Missing Persons Week, they had a stand of missing persons photos including Stephen J's. I approached the police and told them I knew him and they said they would contact me the next week to go through Sj's address book, and I made a statement.

Ironically also Stephen D disappeared at the start of missing persons week 1994. On the preceding Sunday, he said to his housemates "How can people just go missing?????"

http://www.australianmissingpersonsregister.com/Jelfs.htm