1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

IN STEUBEN COUNTY JANE DOE: WF, 30-40, found in field near Angola, IN - Sept 1999 *Tina Len Cabanaw*

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Imamazed, May 30, 2015.

1. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/180ufin.html

On September 6, 1999, police discovered the nude remains of an unidentified female in a field northeast of Angola, Indiana, approximately 2.5 miles east of Interstate 69. It appeared that the remains had been there for at least five weeks prior to being discovered. A bra was wrapped around her neck, indicating that the victim was possibly strangled.

NamUs Info

http://www.crimewatchers.net/forum/index.php?media/1999-wf-30-40-yrs-steuben-indiana-jane-doe.290/

2. Imamazed

Imamazed Lead Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    victim's ring victim's tattoo victim's watch victim's watch

Mel70, spike, GarAndMo49 and 2 others like this.
  3. Kimster

Kimster Director Staff Member

I hope someone recognizes her jewelry and watch. That drawing of her looks so sad. Thank you for posting about her!

Mel70, spike, GarAndMo49 and 2 others like this.
  4. DaisyChains

DaisyChains Bronze Member

image.jpg image.jpg What about Bonny Lee Baker? Disappeared from Denver, CO sometime in early July of 1998 which is a decent match for the post mortem interval of about a month. I can't seem to find a NamUs page for her and don't know if her DNA is in CODIS either. She also isn't on the rule outs list. But again, she may still need to be listed in NamUs!

http://www.nampn.org/cases/baker_bonny.html

What interests me also is that the tattoo was said to be something you might see in the west/southwest and Colorado and the other 4 corners states kind of fit that bill.

All of the other listed missing women seemed to have DNA already in system. Just so happens that Bonny was the closest match to the UIDs vitals I could find within the post mortem interval (although she doesn't look much like the sketch IMHO) and she may not have DNA submitted yet. Might be something to it. Im going to email NamUs and make sure Bonny is in their system. I may need to look into 1997 and years earlier for matches. Not sure yet.

Mel70, spike and Armalita like this.
  5. DaisyChains

Hm this makes me even concerned that Bonny might be our Jane Doe. There are indications her body was transported in a car (Our UID was likely left on the side of a highway via car) and a witness called the night she was murdered claiming Bonny was strangled (The Cause of Death of our UID!) and thrown into the trunk of a car. Another witness called that same night saying she believed that a man had strangled Bonny and put her body in his car, and she believe he intended to take Bonny's body to Mexico to get rid of it (yeah right, I'm sure he figured out that wouldn't work).

NO BODY, BUT IS IT MURDER? TWO BLOODSTAINED CARS AND A MISSING WOMAN
    Rocky Mountain News (CO) - Thursday, July 30, 1998
    Author: Kevin Vaughan Rocky Mountain News Staff Writer

Denver investigators don't have Bonny Lee Baker's body, but they believe the 47-year-old woman is dead, the victim of a murder.

Baker, who had been working as a prep cook at The Fort in Morrison, was last seen June 30. Since then, police have recovered two bloodstained cars that may have been used to move her body, and investigators have been unable to locate her live-in boyfriend, Crispin Nene-Perez, 34.

That's enough to keep investigators working despite the lack of a corpse.

``Other cases around the country - murder cases - have been successfully prosecuted without a body,'' said Capt. Don Saltzman.

The story begins June 28 when Baker and her ex-husband, Santos Jaurique , 51, went to Fort Collins to visit family and friends. According to a Lakewood police report, they returned late that night, and the next day Baker borrowed Jaurique 's car, a maroon Geo Prism.

He never saw her again.

On June 30, Denver police received two calls from people who reported a woman had been killed, a search warrant affidavit said.

In the first, a woman said that a man was driving a red car to Mexico with a body in the trunk.

The caller said the victim was named Bonny and that her boyfriend killed her.

The woman gave police a license number. Detectives later determined it was Jaurique 's car, the affidavit said.

A second caller told police that a man had strangled his girlfriend and stuffed her body into his car.

Then, on July 4, Denver police spoke with a woman who was concerned because she'd found blood and hair on the back seat of her brother's car. She also found a Colorado identification card belonging to Baker under a floor mat, the affidavit said.

The car, a 1985 Mercury, is owned by Nene-Perez, according to police reports.

Denver police learned a few days later that Jaurique 's Geo had been in a crash July 1 in Globe, Ariz., a town of 6,000 in the hills 60 miles east of Phoenix. The driver fled.

LIB3
    Caption: Photo (2)
    Bonny Lee Baker. FILE: MISSING - UNAVAILABLE
    CAPTION: Crispin Nene-Perez. FILE: MISSING - UNAVAILABLE

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    spike, GarAndMo49 and patsella like this.
  6. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

I can see a resemblance in the side by side. I think it's worth checking out.

The ring looks like something you'd commonly find here in the southwest U.S. .

spike, Armalita, GarAndMo49 and 2 others like this.
  7. Kimster

I can't find her on NamUS either which surprises me.

spike and DaisyChains like this.
  8. DaisyChains

Just got an email Back from Amy Dobbs of NamUs and she said she is following up on the information. Rock on Amy Dobbs! Thank you girlfriend
    :thankyou:

GarAndMo49, patsella and Kimster like this.
  9. DaisyChains

One other thing that may support that this UID is Bonny:

The car used to transport Bonny's body initially was found wrecked in Scottsdale, Arizona on July 2 I believe. The UID, even though dead around only a month and left in Indiana, showed signs of mummification. This may indicate that the UIDs body was kept for that month or so in a climate similar to Arizona that brings about mummification during decomposition.

So, I'm beginning to think perhaps Bonny's body was kept in AZ while her murderer was waiting to obtain another vehicle and could move her body further away... Eventually to Indiana a month after killing her. Jmo.

10. Kimster

I just saw a note from our new member @Advocate. She might be able to help us with NamUS when we have questions! :happydance:

11. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

Just wanted to say great post, thanks wasn't enough. :)

12. DaisyChains

:thankyou::hug::daisy:

13. patsella

patsella Bronze Member

Just checking for any news on the case. :)

spike, GarAndMo49 and Kimster like this.
  14. DaisyChains

Aw @patsella thanks for caring so much! It reminded me to check my inbox to see if I might have missed anything else from Amy or NamUS.

Nope no new news from Amy Dobbs, but I'm sure she wouldn't be able to tell me much further now that she is checking out everything. Let's pray that she is able to stay focused and get the appropriate info out and followed up on. I'm happy she is looking into it all!

15. Armalita

Armalita Active Member

I can't seem to find a lot of these people on Namus.

spike and DaisyChains like this.
  16. DaisyChains

There are so many I've noticed recently @Armalita. Maybe someone should start a list/thread of missing ppl we find who have not been added to NamUs?

Update: No new news on my end about the UID from Amy.

17. Armalita

Armalita Active Member

I've tried to send several to Namus to be added and I get emails that say: OK I got this. LOL that doesn't tell me a whole lot.

spike, Kimster and DaisyChains like this.
  18. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Wow, this is "my" case! (Well, one of them.) I was surprised to see it on here. It happened not too far from where I work, and I did a LOT of amateur sleuthing on it, and even sent a suspect to a friend in LE, but that suspect had an alibi.

My theory is that she was a "lot rat," a name for women who hang around truck stops looking for Johns to have sex with. One killed her, transported her body to Indiana, and dumped it. And it is not an uncommon occurrence, apparently.

19. Kimster

I've heard of that happening before, too.

Thank you for the time you took to try to identify her!

Mel70 and spike like this.
  20. Mel70

Mel70 Bronze Member

Or called "Lot Lizards". Very ugly names to call A PERSON!