1. Keeping Children and Adults Safe
    Click Here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What do you do if you have a loved one missing?
    In this section, you will find tips on what to do and not do.
    Easily find organizations that you can contact for help.
    Click here for more information
    Dismiss Notice
  3. “We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.”
    Our mission: Working together to help locate the missing, name the unidentified
    and discuss true crime cases within an intellectual, safe and respectful Internet community.
    *~*~*~*Don't forget, we are on Facebook! www.facebook.com/CrimeWatchersNet*~*~*~*~*
    CLICK HERE FOR FORUM SUPPORT
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Crimewatchers.net! We are happy to have you with us.
Please let any staff member know if you need assistance. We're here to help! (If you aren't a member, please join us today. We'd love to meet you!)
Dismiss Notice
Crimewatchers.net opened on April 26, 2015 with the purpose of making a difference in getting the word out for the missing, unidentified, and justice for victims. Let us know if you have a case you'd like us to feature here, on Twitter &/or Facebook. Contact email: CrimewatchersCW@gmail.com

NY SYLVIA LWOWSKI: Missing from Staten Island, NY - 6 September 1975 - Age 22

Discussion in 'Missing 1900 to 1979' started by Akoya, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2017
    spike likes this.
  2. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7574/0/

NamUs MP # 7574
    Sylvia Lwowski
    [​IMG]
    Richmond County, New York
    22 year old white female

Case Report - NamUs MP # 7574

Case Information
    Status Missing
    First name Sylvia
    Middle name Alice
    Last name Lwowski
    Nickname/Alias
    Date last seen September 06, 1975 18:30
    Date entered 06/29/2010
    Age last seen 22 to years old
    Age now 63 years old
    Race White
    Ethnicity Other
    Sex Female
    Height (inches) 63.0
    Weight (pounds) 120.0 to 125.0

Circumstances
    City Staten Island
    State New York
    Zip code 10308
    County Richmond
    Circumstances
    On September 6, 1975, Sylvia went out with her fiance to a movie. He returned stating that during an argument, she threw her glasses against the dashboard and ran from the car. Sylvia has not been seen since.

Physical
    Hair color Blond/Strawberry
    Head hair
    mid-back length, long, straight
    Left eye color Hazel
    Right eye color Hazel

Piercings
    Both ears

Clothing
    White sweater
    Green Shirt
    Brown Shoes
    Footwear
    Brown shoes
    Jewelry
    Heart shaped engagement ring
    Watch
    Eyewear
    glasses
    Accessories
    Brown Hand Bag

Dental
    Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA

Fingerprint Information

Investigating Agency
    Title Det
    First name Wendell
    Last name Stratford
    Phone (718) 834-4580
    Website
    Case number 10074
    Date reported April 29, 2010
    Jurisdiction County
    Agency Cold Case N. Y.
    Address 1
    Address 2
    City
    State
    Zip code
    Comments

Title Capt.
    First name
    Last name Kelly
    Phone (718) 667-2211
    Website
    Case number 10074
    Date reported September 07, 1975
    Jurisdiction Local
    Agency 122 pct
    Address 1
    Address 2
    City Staten Island
    State New York
    Zip code
    Comments
    Capt. Kelly no longer at the 122 pct
    Title Det
    First name Patrick
    Last name Savage
    Phone (718) 556-7122
    Website
    Case number
    Date reported
    Jurisdiction County
    Agency Richmond County DA's Office
    Address 1 130 Stuyvsesant Place
    Address 2 7th Floor
    City Richmond County
    State New York
    Zip code 10301

spike likes this.
  3. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  4. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  5. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

upload_2017-2-7_11-59-23.jpeg

spike likes this.
  6. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/38_years_on_brother_of_staten.html

38 years on, brother of Staten Islander who vanished seeks resolution

By Tracey Porpora | porpora@siadvance.com
    September 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- It was September 1975 and 22-year-old Wagner College graduate Sylvia Alice Lwowski was engaged to be married and excited about her future.

On the evening of Sept. 6, Ms. Lwowski left her Great Kills home for the old Island Movie Theater on Richmond Avenue, perhaps to see "Jaws" or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," which were the hot films then playing.

She hasn't been seen since.

Thirty-eight years on, her brother would like her case reopened and the mystery surrounding her disappearance solved.

"My sister's disappearance ripped my family apart," said Joseph Lwowski, who was 16 at the time. "I want some resolution. I want some answers. I'm hoping someone knows something that will give me closure."

With Ms. Lwowski's parents, Eva and Joseph, now dead, her brother is her only surviving relative.

"The not knowing is what keeps me awake at night. My imagination is the worst. I have thought the worst over and over again," said Lwowski. "My sister wasn't a party girl. This was out of her character, to just not contact anyone."

At the time of her disappearance, Ms. Lwowski's parents hired a private investigator, who "turned up nothing," said Lwowski.

After having her photo circulated on many online missing-persons websites, Lwowski is now asking that this "cold case" be revisited to find out exactly what happened to his sister 38 years ago.

According to a spokesman for District Attorney Daniel Donovan, there was never an investigation by the office at the time of her disappearance "because it was classified as a missing persons case."

"Recently, a relative's DNA was uploaded to the FBI Combined DNA Index System. ... In case her or her remains are ever located, there will be a positive identification," he noted.

At the time of her disappearance, Ms. Lwowski was between 5-feet-4 and 5-feet-6 and 120 to 125 pounds, her brother said. She was described as having long, straight blonde hair and hazel eyes behind her glasses.

A police report filed on Sept. 7, 1975, says Ms. Lwowski was last seen with an acquaintance near the former Kmart Plaza on Richmond Avenue.

She was wearing a white button-down sweater, brown shoes, brown purse, engagement ring and a watch, according to the report.

According to Mary Bushnell Giampapa, Ms. Lwowski's best friend, on the night of her disappearance, Ms. Lwowski had a disagreement with an acquaintance and left his car on Richmond Avenue. Ms. Giampapa said her father drove her around the entire area looking for Ms. Lwowski that night, to no avail.

Ms. Giampapa even searched Ms. Lwowski's former sorority house at Wagner College the next day. But no one had seen her.

"I went to all the places that I thought she would have gone, like the Great Kills Park jetty, where we'd go if we had a fight with a boyfriend to cool off," said Ms. Giampapa.

But she never saw her best friend again.

"This has been so difficult. The anniversary of her disappearance this year is even more difficult for me, because now my husband has passed away," said Ms. Giampapa.

"You only get that one friend in life that you can trust your thoughts to where she knows what you're thinking before you thought it. And Sylvia was that person in my life."

spike likes this.
  7. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/man_still_seeking_closure_40_y.html

Vanished: 40 years later, mystery still surrounds woman's disappearance

[​IMG]
    40 years later, mystery surrounds woman's disappearance

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The lone surviving relative of a Great Kills woman who mysteriously disappeared 40 years ago fears he may never get the closure he desperately seeks.

"I would like a resolution before I die," said Joseph Lwowski, who now lives in Long Island. "But it doesn't appear I'll find any resolution after all these years."

Lwowski, 56, was just a teenager when his big sister, Sylvia Alice Lwowski, 22, vanished.

On the evening of Sept. 6, 1975, she left her home with her fiance and headed to the old Island Movie Theater on Richmond Avenue, near the Staten Island Mall.

The Wagner College graduate was never seen again.

Her brother says the fiance told the family the couple got into an argument before Sylvia threw her glasses at the dashboard and bolted out of the car.

Lwowski says he remembers he was sitting in his room that fateful night when his sister's boyfriend came to the house to tell them what happened.

But he didn't believe what he had heard.

"She wouldn't just run off," he said. "She would've called or reached out to us."

The family searched for her on Richmond Avenue near the bus stops, and Sylvia's best friend searched her former sorority house at Wagner the following day to no avail.

They even hired private investigators and circulated Sylvia's profile on various missing person sites, but couldn't get any leads.

The saga ripped his family apart and his parents passed away heartbroken, he said.

Lwowski has spent almost his entire life and $60,000 trying to find Sylvia, and even gave his DNA sample to the district attorney's office.

"I did everything humanly possible, but I can't find her anywhere," he said. "I don't know where else to turn. I feel helpless."

Police never investigated the incident because authorities believed it was a runaway case, Lwowski said.

At the time of her disappearance, Ms. Lwowski was between 5-feet-4 and 5-feet-6 and 120 to 125 pounds, her brother said. She was described as having long, straight blond hair and hazel eyes behind her glasses.

A police report filed Sept. 7, 1975, says Ms. Lwowski was last seen with an acquaintance near the former Kmart Plaza on Richmond Avenue.

She was wearing a white button-down sweater, brown shoes, brown purse, engagement ring and a watch, according to the report.

Lwowski understands getting the cold case reopened is a long shot, and his hope at finding any answers is slowly dwindling.

"I'm exhausted," he said. "This whole thing has beaten me down."

The NYPD did not return a request for comment on the case.

spike likes this.
  8. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

9. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2928dfny.html

The Doe Network:
    Case File 2928DFNY

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sylvia Alice Lwowski
    Missing since September 6, 1975 from Staten Island, Richmond County, New York
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date of Birth: April 28, 1953
      • Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
      • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4-5'6"; 120-125 lbs.
      • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Long, straight blonde hair; hazel eyes. Wears glasses.
      • Marks, Scars: Pierced ears.
      • Clothing: White button-down sweater, green shirt and brown shoes.
      • Jewelry: Heart shaped engagement ring; a watch. She was carrying a brown handbag.
      • Dentals: Not available.
      • Fingerprints: Available
      • DNA: Available
    Circumstances of Disappearance
    On September 6, 1975, Sylvia went out with her fiance to a movie at the old Island Movie Theater on Richmond Avenue in Staten Island

He returned stating that during an argument, she thew her glasses against the dashboard and ran from the car. Sylvia has not been seen since.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

New York City Police
    718-834-4580

Agency Case Number: 10074

Source Information:
    Namus

spike likes this.
  10. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

http://www.nampn.org/cases/lwowski_sylvia_alice.html

North American Missing Persons Network
    Sylvia Alice Lwowski

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

• Missing Since: September 6, 1975 from Staten Island, Richmond County, New York
    • Classification: Endangered Missing
    • Date Of Birth: April 28, 1953
    • Height: 5'4-5'6"
    • Weight: 120-125 lbs.
    • Hair Color: Blonde
    • Eye Color: Hazel
    • Race: White
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Long, straight blonde hair. Wears glasses. Pierced ears.
    • Medical Conditions: None.
    • Clothing: A white button-down sweater, brown shoes. She was carrying a brown handbag.
    • Jewelry: Heart shaped engagement ring; a watch.
    • Case Number: 10074
    Details of Disappearance
    On September 6, 1975, Sylvia left her Great Kills home with her fiance to see a movie at the old Island Movie Theater on Richmond Avenue.

He returned stating that during an argument, she thew her glasses
    against the dashboard and ran from the car on Richmond Avenue, around 6 P.m.. Sylvia has not been seen since.

Lwowski, a recent Wagner College graduate, was engaged to be married at the time and lived with her parents on Goodall Street. Her parents hired a private investigator to look for her, but no leads were found. With Ms. Lwowski's parents, Eva and Joseph, now dead, her brother is her only surviving relative.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    New York Police Department
    (718) 834-4580

Source Information
    Namus

spike likes this.
  11. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  12. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

https://whereaboutsstillunknown.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/sylvia-alice-lwowski/

Sylvia Alice Lwowski

[​IMG]

Sylvia Alice Lwowski, age 22, disappeared from Staten Island, New York on September 6, 1975.

She had planned on going to see a movie at the Island Theater on Richmond Avenue, with her fiance. At the time, movies such as Jaws and Rocky Horror Picture Show would have been showing.

Reports state that she left for her movie date and never returned.

Her fiance would later state that he and Sylvia had argued, which resulted in Sylvia throwing her eyeglasses at the dashboard and running from the car.

There is very little ‘official’ information available on this case. A good friend of Sylvia’s has come forward to discuss her disappearance, under certain expectations of anonymity. For the purpose of this blog entry, I’ll call her Lauren.

Lauren had been with Sylvia earlier in the day that she disappeared. They had gone shopping, and at roughly 4:00pm, Lauren dropped Sylvia off at home so she could get ready for her date. Sylvia seemed to be in good spirits, and was looking forward to going to the movies.

In the early evening, Sylvia’s fiance picked her up as scheduled, and they drove off, presumably headed to the movie theater, which was about ten minutes from her home.

At approximately 10:00pm that night, Sylvia’s fiance appeared in front of Lauren’s home. He rolled down his window, and angrily stated that he and Sylvia had gotten into an argument, and that she’d gotten out of the car near the Staten Island Mall, telling him she’d take the bus home. He asked Lauren to pick Sylvia up at the bus stop, before abruptly driving away.

Lauren and her father drove around the vicinity of the mall, but did not see any sign of Sylvia. At this point, they assumed that she’d gotten on a bus during time that it took them to get there. They returned home.

At approximately 10:30pm, Sylvia’s fiance arrived at Sylvia’s home, and spoke with her family about the fact that Sylvia had gotten out of the car. Sylvia’s mother quickly headed for the Staten Island Mall area, and drove around without locating her.

She attempted to file a missing persons report, but was told that she needed wait until Sylvia had been missing for 24 hours.

After filing a missing persons report the following day, the Lwowski family found that the case was being handled as nothing more than a ‘voluntary missing’ adult case.

A couple weeks after Sylvia’s disappearance, Sylvia’s mother hired a private investigator. We do not know the identity of this investigator, but Lauren, and Sylvia’s surviving family would be interested in speaking with him. If anyone has access to Staten Island yellow pages from 1975 and can scan a copy of the ‘Private Investigator’ category, I’d be grateful!

Lauren contacted Sylvia’s fiance by phone on a couple occasions following her disappearance, and was told never to call him again. He was completely unwilling to answer any questions. It is not known if he was ever questioned by law enforcement.

The only other potential clue that has surfaced, is that Lauren had given someone a ride home from Manhattan some time after Sylvia’s disappearance, and it turned out that this individual was acquainted with Sylvia’s fiance. This individual stated to Lauren that Sylvia’s fiance had her engagement ring in his possession. According to the police report, the ring was missing along with Sylvia.

There is much speculation that Sylvia’s fiance knows something about her disappearance, and there is doubt as to whether they ever went to a movie at all that night. If it is true that her fiance had the ring, it would imply that either there was a break-up (as opposed to just an argument), or that the ring was retrieved at a later time.

There is a possibility that Sylvia did return the ring during an argument, threw her glasses at the dash, and exited the car, only to fall prey to serial killer Andre Rand. The location where Sylvia was last known to be is in the scope of Rand’s ‘comfort zone’. I find it unlikely, however, because Rand preferred young children, or those with mental disabilities who he perceived as vulnerable. He was reportedly rather standoffish with other adults.

If Sylvia’s fiance did harm her, I find it unlikely that it happened on Richmond Avenue, near the Staten Island mall. It’s a busy area, and a commotion would have been noticed. It would be more likely that they were never near the mall, and instead went to a hotel or a lover’s lane where an altercation occurred.

Otherwise, I’d have to think it was premeditated – meaning that from the mall, he’d made up his mind that he was going to harm her, and drove her someplace secluded.

It’s also worth noting that the movie theater was approximately 10 minutes from Sylvia’s home. An average movie is 90 minutes, plus 20-30 minutes accounted for in drive time – that still leaves 2-3 hours. (Sylvia had been picked up between 5-6pm, and her fiance appeared at Lauren’s house at 10pm.)

Sylvia is a native of Germany, but had been in New York for most of her life. Her parents have both passed away without ever learning their daughter’s fate. Sylvia’s mother kept all of Sylvia’s engagement gifts in the hope that she would someday return. Sylvia loved animals, gardening, and collecting seashells. She was a member of the Wagner College band.

spike likes this.
  13. Akoya

Akoya Bronze Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spike likes this.
  14. WitchHazel

WitchHazel Member

It’s really shocking to me that in nearly 43 years, the police in the 122 precinct never ONCE made any kind of public appeal for information in Sylvia’s disappearance-not one time. They surely must know that she is dead. According to Sylvia’s brother, there has never been any evidence that she ran away to start a new life, and was successful in evading all subsequent searches. The NYPD cold case squad did work on the case, but it was decades later, with no public appeal at all for information. It’s no wonder they never had any-they never seemed to care about her disappearance

spike and Paradise like this.